a few questions for a friend traveling with a terminally ill child...

lornak

DIS Veteran
Goodevening!
I am trying to help some friends plan a trip to WDW with their terminally ill son. I think we have settled on the FW cabins, but I would appreciate a few pieces of advice! First of all, I have read a lot on this board about renting a golf cart. Is that necessary even if you have a car? Are you allowed to drive your car around FW? to your cabin? My friend's son is not in a wheelchair but he tires very easily and they would like to keep walking to a reasonalbe limit. They are planning on staying for 10 days (will have a car the entire time)--they are spending 5 days at the theme parks and several days doing off site day trips (Kennedy Space Center, beach, etc...). Would you FW experts reccommend a cart?? Also, could someone reccommend a cabin that would be nearest to the bus stops or the closest to the "main area"--(sorry, I've never been to FW and I don't even know if there is a main area!! I just mean, what do you think would be the most convenient cabin for them in terms of minimizing the walking?) They will not be able to use the pool or the waterpark so being close to either of those is a non-issue. Finally, if anyone has any experience with making special requests due to medical conditions I would welcome your comments and tips! Thank you in advance for any information you have!
Lorna

Hi Lorna! Your friends will absolutely LOVE staying at the cabins! They are spacious, clean, and beautiful! They will have their own deck with bbq grill, and lots of room around them!

You are not allowed to drive around FW though, so basically you park your car outside your cabin and leave it there. I would highly recommend that they rent a golf cart! I recommend Golf Cart Enterprises, as opposed to renting from FW. They're quite a bit cheaper, and they have great service! They will drop off and pick up right from the campground.

If they have a golf cart, then they really won't have to worry which cabin they get. The cabins are all in one section of the campground. Some are closer to the pool, etc. but if they're not worried about swimming then it won't matter to them. They can take the golf cart right to the Settlement Area where the main bus stop is. That would take out the need of having to walk to the closest bus stop to their loop.

I hope they have a great time! :D

Thank you so much for the information! I am even more excited about the decision to stay at FW now! Just for clarification...could someone explain to me how it works if you drive your cart to a bus stop or main station. Can you leave it parked and then pick it up after the buses drop you off? And would you reccommend driving to the parks or taking the bus? I 'm sure it is a little different for every situation, but would you think the commute would be easier if they drove? Or is the hassle of parking and transferring, etc more work than it is worth?? Thanks again for your input!

There are little parking spaces for golf carts at the trading posts, Pioneer Hall, and at the main bus stop. You just leave it there for the day! If you get an electric cart (vs. gas) there are also plug-ins for you to leave it plugged in all day.

Everybody feels differently about their transportation to the parks, but we prefer to take the disney transportation. You can park your golf cart by Pioneer Hall, then just hop the boat to Magic Kingdom.

For Epcot, park your cart at the main bus stop (by Pioneer Hall) and hop the bus to the Transportation Center (5 minute bus ride), then transfer to the monorail to Epcot.

To get to MGM take the bus to the transportation center and transfer to the MGM bus.

To get to Animal Kingdom - take the Animal Kingdom bus directly from FW!

It's very easy, and very convenient! We much prefer it over driving our own car and parking at each of the parks! We like to leave the driving to them! :D

I usually use the Disney transportation, too, but depending upon the fragility of the health of the child the parents may wish to drive. They should get a Handicapped placard for their car before leaving home, and then should be able to park in handicapped parking at the parks.

I would strongly encourage them to rent a cart--it is so helpful having one and a sick child would probably find it a lot of fun when the energy level is not so strong.

You may want to post/read on the disAbilities board, too, and get information about the Guest Assistance Card and other helpful information.

Barbara

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter