• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A few questions

TinkFan74

DIS Veteran
I really want to be able to use Maxpass while I am in the park, but since I am from Canada I can't easily use my data package, and I don't want to rely on park wifi; has anybody used Roam Mobile as an alternative to in park wifi?
Also, my 19 year old daughter and her friend have decided that the want to take Lyft to Hollywood on our last day, since I hate the smell of urine and broken dreams, I am going to skip this, and add a day to my Disneyland pass, and do things that I have always wanted to do, but ran out of time for, or just didn't want to pay for two people to attend. My plan is to start the morning with the new Grand Circle Tour, do the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour at noon, then explore Tom Sawyer Island and go for a paddle in the canoes. Does anybody else have any ideas for a relaxing splurge day at Disneyland? I can't wait to hear suggestions,
TIA

I really want to be able to use Maxpass while I am in the park, but since I am from Canada I can't easily use my data package, and I don't want to rely on park wifi; has anybody used Roam Mobile as an alternative to in park wifi?
Also, my 19 year old daughter and her friend have decided that the want to take Lyft to Hollywood on our last day, since I hate the smell of urine and broken dreams, I am going to skip this, and add a day to my Disneyland pass, and do things that I have always wanted to do, but ran out of time for, or just didn't want to pay for two people to attend. My plan is to start the morning with the new Grand Circle Tour, do the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour at noon, then explore Tom Sawyer Island and go for a paddle in the canoes. Does anybody else have any ideas for a relaxing splurge day at Disneyland? I can't wait to hear suggestions,
TIA

I don't have an answer for the first part. But a suggestion for the second...maybe a nice lunch at blue bayou? Carthay circle? One of the hotel restaurants?

Also..."since I hate the smell of urine and broken dreams" :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I don't have an answer for the first part. But a suggestion for the second...maybe a nice lunch at blue bayou? Carthay circle? One of the hotel restaurants?

Also..."since I hate the smell of urine and broken dreams" :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
I am thinking of going somewhere I have not been before, hopefully I can get a Fantasmic package at Cafe Orleans. Unfortunately, I will not have a park hopper, so I can't try out Carthay Circle.

I've never actually eaten at Carthay Circle, but i've heard it's good. I do really like Blue Bayou. I've also been debating trying out Storytellers Cafe in the Grand. If you're wanting something not as expensive, i've read that the Whitewater Snacks in the Grand has really good food. You could get a dole whip with a float of rum in the Disneyland Hotel coffee bar. I can't really think of any other splurges in Disneyland itself. If you're into it, you could collect pressed pennies and quarters from the machines throughout the park. Again, not really a splurge but a little something fun to do.

I really want to be able to use Maxpass while I am in the park, but since I am from Canada I can't easily use my data package

What time of year are you going? I'm assuming Disneyland is always working on improving the wifi and once the summer crowds have dissipated, the wifi might be decent (less people = better wifi). Maybe just try one day first!

What time of year are you going? I'm assuming Disneyland is always working on improving the wifi and once the summer crowds have dissipated, the wifi might be decent (less people = better wifi). Maybe just try one day first!
I will be there Sept 5-10.

LOL.....that is funny... a relaxing spurge paddling a canoe....LOL anyhow.....Main street has entertainment, find all three fortune tellers, say hello to the little man..... ride dumbo at sunset and catch the peter pan weather vane floating in the colorful sky, memorize all the features of the new frontier land path. ....pick the strangest looking pastry. Listen to mike and scully collect screams at the bottom of splash....yea....why not....ride Pooh. always better than any NYC urine sidewalk. Heffalump!!!!

I will be there Sept 5-10.
The crowds are supposed to be lower that time of year, so the wifi might work just fine for you, especially in the am before locals arrive after school/work. I would try the wifi first before I splurged too much on anything else!

If your phone is unlocked - or you're willing to pay the $50ish to unlock it - Roam or similar are really the way to go. Compare plans and SIM card costs. For longer trips (like over 2 weeks) I think TelAway is cheaper but we got RoamMobility SIM cards for our last DL trip and they worked great. I especially liked that one of us could do a text and data only plan ($2.99/day I think) while the other could do a text/data/phone plan ($4.99/day I believe). Amy questions just ask - I need to figure out how best to explain it as my dad wants a full run-down on the options when I visit him in 2 weeks and I need the practice.

The 3 of us have used Roam for the past few years. Most recently, in April, it was EXCELLENT in the parks. We already had unlocked phones so it was super easy and cost effective.

Ha! Urine and Broken Dreams...sounds like the name of a band....desperately trying to make it in Hollywood ;)

As for a fun splurge? I absolutely loved doing the Frozen lunch at Carthay Circle. The food was delicious, the dessert was almost too cute to eat and then a stress free line up for the Frozen show.

I mean...just look at this dessert!
IMG_0855.JPG

Oh sorry, I just the no park hopper...ignore my suggestion!

What I enjoyed doing at Disneyland park when I didn't have kids is visit Antoinette's Perfumerie in NOS. I was hoping to find a new perfume and while I didn't have success, it was still nice to take my time and smell all the different choices. Plus, that area is just pretty.

If your phone is unlocked - or you're willing to pay the $50ish to unlock it - Roam or similar are really the way to go. Compare plans and SIM card costs. For longer trips (like over 2 weeks) I think TelAway is cheaper but we got RoamMobility SIM cards for our last DL trip and they worked great. I especially liked that one of us could do a text and data only plan ($2.99/day I think) while the other could do a text/data/phone plan ($4.99/day I believe). Amy questions just ask - I need to figure out how best to explain it as my dad wants a full run-down on the options when I visit him in 2 weeks and I need the practice.
I am so glad to hear that it works well. My phone is already unlocked and I have ordered the sim card, I am just waiting for it to arrive. it is good to know that for $25 I can have unlimited data and the ability to call home.

I use Roam mobility all the time, just make sure you get the 3G or 4G LTE data plan for $4.95 per day not the chaper version of 2G data
i bought the 2G data package once and had a horrible time getting connected, staying connected and the speed was so slow.......i lost my patience a few times!
Spend the extra money to save your sanity! Especially if you are going to use MaxPass, we are in DL next week and added MaxPass to our APs and will be using it for the first time already bought my roam plan

The crowds are supposed to be lower that time of year, so the wifi might work just fine for you, especially in the am before locals arrive after school/work. I would try the wifi first before I splurged too much on anything else!
Most of the park has no wifi coverage at all - it's not a matter of it being busy or not; it just doesn't exist outside of the "hotspots."

Who is your service provider? Right now I have the Roam at Home or whatever through Rogers, so my roaming package costs $5/day for the same data usage as at home. I've also been able to buy data before I left for a decent price, so maybe give them a call and ask about the costs.

You could start out with breakfast at Steakhouse 55...that's a particularly yummy splurge.

TIA
For the data package, there are a couple of options:
  1. Call your provider and find out if data in the U.S. is included now, most carriers here include it when we go to Canada now, so I would imagine they worked out a reciprocal deal.
  2. Go to Target, Walmart, etc. and buy the cheapest prepaid phone you can with a month of unlimited data, usually around $50 for the prepaid, but you might get that down to $35.
  3. Stick with just WiFi
  4. Use a mobile hotspot device
As for the splurge day, Carthay Circle at DCA would be my choice with the WOC dining package.

I would absorb as much atmosphere as possible - while not actually doing that much!

Smile at everyone! :rainbow: Maybe find a bench at the hub and people watch while enjoying a treat. Stop to watch the many musical groups. Ride the carousel and gaze at the Castle and charming Fantasyland. Cool off and catch a show at the Golden Horseshoe. Maybe a Dole Whip in the Tiki Room. Shopping in New Orleans Square, and on Main Street. Take a ride on a Main Street vehicle and wave at other guests!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter