A first time to Disneyland: Thoughts and Relflection

GunnarCharles

Mouseketeer
Being a fan of all things Disney, it has been a goal of mine for a long time to get to experience Disneyland. I have traveled to WDW several times and have never doubted it to be my favorite place in the world. This past week for spring break I got to spend 2 days at Disneyland, one day at each park. I had done research and built anticipation, but I don't think I could have predicted exactly how I would feel about the experience. The weather was hot and the spring break crowd levels were in full force yet I had 2 of the best days of my life. Disneyland offered many familiar aspects that make me love WDW but at the same time gave new and different experiences. I could write on for pages about the things I loved and the comparing and contrasting to WDW. However I can sum it all up by saying that I now understand when people say all WDW fans must visit Disneyland, it is truly a wonderful time. In my short experience at Disneyland I can offer this advice:
1. Be at the parks early: This is a great time to beat the crowds, I was there over spring break and rode radiator springs racers twice before lunch. It is worth the early wake up.
2. Have a game plan: I enjoy doing things "on the fly" when vacationing but at the same time its good to have a plan. At least know what you want to do and how you plan on doing it. For example is this something you will do right away? Get a fastpass for?
3. Stop and smell the roses: I love the history and details of Disney Parks which may be why I loved Disneyland so much. There is a surreal feeling walking in the park that Walt build. Seeing the Fire Station lantern gave me goosebumps, walking through the Disneyland story exhibit brought waves of emotion. Take some time to slow down and enjoy just how special this place is. Disneyland is a totally unique and amazing experience, and I for one am ready to be back.

I live less than an hour from DL, and have for pretty much my whole life - I've never been to WDW :-(

I'd say you have all your points correct.

For me #3 is a big one, but I can also understand "trying to do it all" too, especially if you are coming from a great distance to visit DL. Still, I think it is very important to try and "feel" this park. You'll get that feel on Main Street and over near the Rivers of America / New Orleans Square best (in my opinion).

Yeah with it being my first time and only having 2 days there were some moments of rush but I would really like to go back for a little longer especially when crowd levels are down a little bit. There is so much to take in.

Great observations! We will be there for 4 days, 2 days in each park. Trying to find that balance between "smelling roses" and fitting it all in! We are even contemplating adding a 5th day just go after our beach day and stroll Main Street in the evening.

Great review. We had been going to WDW for more than a decade and a half and then went to DL back in 2007 and it has become our home park. I get the same goosebumps walking down mainstreet as you did! I am fortunate enough to see alot of Disney history there as well with stops on the Lill Belle train car and the old Club 33. We are headed back yet again for the 60th Anniversary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter