A first time trip report with two 4 year olds - Warning Detailed!!

Adam&Alex's Mom

Adam & Alex's Mom
Background:

We have been anticipating our DL vacation for over 6 months! Our plan was to fly out on Monday, August 6th to return Friday, August 10th. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and purchased 3 day park hoppers. We live in Texas.

The cast is me, DH, twin boys DS4, DM (58) (my Mom). This is a first trip for all of us and to say we were excited would be an understatement!!

Count down….

The days before takeoff were hectic… you know how it is before you leave work for a vacation… you want to leave “in a good place” …In addition to winding down work tasks I printed out Hydroguys tips… some of DL magical beginning lists (packing lists, height requirements etc…) and packed like a maniac. It was a crazy few days but finally time to head out!

Day 1 – we arrive!

We left our house at 5:45 am on the day we left. My two are plane crazy and were VERY excited to be going to the airport. We had purchased two small rolling backpacks and each DS was able to pick one change of clothes and a few toys to take with them. I also placed a few snacks in each pack. It worked out really well because they each had some of their “stuff” with them and they had something to occupy themselves with in the plane and during our layover. We had one layover in Utah and arrived at SNA around 1 pm.

I had reserved an exclusive SuperShuttle before we left and it worked out great. We walked out to the ground trans area and the van was waiting… we loaded up and had plenty of room! There was one lady that needed to leave at the same time and we agreed to share the van as long as were the first stop…

Arriving at the hotel was amazing. We could see little peeks of the park as we were driving down the highway and the boys were getting more and more excited. When we pulled up we saw a statue of Mickey… The hat… we could feel the magic!! A bellman was quick to come over and over to help with our bags. We had 5 suitcases, 3 backpacks and 2 car seats so help was appreciated!! The bell man checked our bags as we were early for check in and we went to pre-register… we arrived a little before 2pm.

When we got to the front desk we were pleasantly surprised to see a little couch and TV area for the kids. Disney movies were playing of course and the boys settled in with my Mom as DH and I went to check in. There was only one person in front of us in line so the wait was minimal… when it was our turn we inquired about paying for an upgrade to concierge. Luckily it was available and we were placed in a pool view on the 8th floor of the Sierra Tower. Our CM also gave us 5 autograph pics of different characters, first visit pins, and balloons for the kids (we had called and req this from vacation planning). Keys in hand we headed up to the Concierge Lounge (CL) for a drink and snack. We had dinner reservations at Goofys and didn’t want to stop for a big lunch.

The lounge was nice and the snacks were good. In the fridge was Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Apple Juice, Whole Milk, reduced fat Milk and Water. Snacks were an assortment of chips, uncrustables, some pastries and fruit. Nothing over the top but it was nice. The view is great and the CM’s are all very nice and helpful. After a quick snack we took off for DTD to purchase autograph books for dinner.

I was very surprised that there was not a wider selection of autograph books… there a few small ones and I saw 3 that had a place to hold a pic… one was a princess book so that was out… I saw nicer ones OL and regretted not pre-purchasing these. Each boy picked one and then the search was on for a pen… the pages in the book had desins on them and the CM said a sharpie would be best but they didn’t sell them… 45 minutes later we found one at the Compass Sundry Stand… my tip would be to take your own marker.

We were able to get into our room (2656) shortly after 3 and we were pleasantly surprised by the size of our room. We had 2 queens and a daybed and the view was amazing. There was NOT much storage space for our stuff… so we ended up living out of the suitcases for the most part.

Dinner at Goofy’s was awesome. The character interaction is worth the price. We saw Pluto, Goofy, Minnie, Aladdin, Chip and Dale. The boys had time with each… and they even got to dance the Macarena. The food was OK… not great but good. After dinner we decided to head to the pool. We grabbed some vests for the boys and they headed to the little slide. It wasn’t very slippery but they really enjoyed it. We had to bail on the pool after 15 min because got sick in it and they closed it :( so we headed over to the Cove pool and it actually worked out better. This ended up being our only time in the pool the entire vacation believe it or not! After a long day we headed to bed to get ready for early entry in the morning!

Day 2 – First day in the park

I got up at 4:30 to start getting ready for EE. I woke my family up at 5:15 and we headed out the door around 6:15 am. We arrived in line around 6:30 and we were maybe the 10th family in our line. The lines got long FAST. We sat in line and ate granola bars, uncrustables and drank apple juice that we had grabbed from the CL the night before. Around 6:57 ish the opened the doors and picked a family for the count down. It sent chills down my back… the moment had arrived at last! The line moved quickly as they started letting people in. Once in we decide to start up the photopass card right away at the entrance then we headed to the left and towards FL. We saw the majority of people heading toward Nemo and my DH vowed we would NOT be doing that!! We had our pic taken outside the castle on the way.

We headed towards Peter Pan only to find it was down.. :( so we went on to Dumbo and walked on. What a thrill!! So we walked on again  Next we walked on to Mr. Toad (both boys cried)…. After some soothing we walked on to Peter Pan since it was now open. One boy cried and one was fine. We decided to stay away from anymore dark rides for awhile so we headed over to TL and on to Astro Orbitor (5 min wait) which the boys loved. Our next stop was Buzz Lightyear (we walked on) and had a blast! We emailed our pic to some friends and then decided to be daring and try Star Tours. We had maybe a 5 min wait. The boys LOVED it. I have one that is infatuated with Space. We exited and caught up with my Mom (she had been on a hunt for coffee) and I tried to convice my DH to get FP for Autopia as EE had ended… he wasn’t sold on the idea… he didn’t want to split the group up and said the lines were not bad and wanted to head on to POC… so why argue? Off we went. My DH and the boys rode Astro Orbitors one more time and then we were off… we had maybe a 3 min wait for POC. One of my DS was hesitant to get in because it seemed dark… but a nice family helped me coax him in (a little pixie dust!) This was my Mom’s first ride and everyone enjoyed it. By this time we need a break and decide to take a ride around the park on the train. We had a snack as we waited for the train (more snacks from the CL) Next was Splash Mountain…we had maybe a 15 minute wait… the lines were starting to get longer. To my surprise my Mom got on the ride with us. What a blast!!! We went and tried to grab some FP for BTMRR but it was down… so the FP machines were down as well. Next was a ride on the steam boat Columbia… my boys were so excited!!! By this point it was hot… we were tired and hungry. So we finally grabbed some FP for Autotopia and headed on the monorail for DTD. We had lunch at the ESPN Zone and then headed to the room for a nap. We all crashed for a good 2.5 hours!!!!

To Be Cont'd - (Don't worry it gets less verbose!!)

Cont'd

After nap we headed down to the remote control boats. The boys loved this!! The boats are hard to steer but it didn't matter to them. afterwards we headed to the Rainfrest Cafe as we had 5 pm reservations. Again dinner was good.... and the atmosphere was neat but I don't think we would go again.

After Dinner we hopped the monorail to DL as the boys wanted to ride Dumbo and the circus train. When we got off the monorail we rode Autopia, checked out the Nemo lines (still long despite the parade) and then walked over to FL. We waited about 15 min in line for Dumbo and then 10 for Casey.... twice. The lines were def longer than the morning... so we decided to hope over to CA. Once there we decided to check out Engine Ears Toys and then headed over to bugs land where we were able to get on each ride with a 5 min or less wait. This is a cute land. My kids loved the Giant Straws, the watermeleon etc.... really really cute. Walking out of Bugs land we didn't realize how late it was until we noticed everyone lining up for the ELP... we saw some curb and joined and waited maybe 15 minutes for the lights to go out. Great seats and perfect timing. We tried to hurry out of the park to catch the FW in the Lounge but didn't make it (it was an ambitious goal) so we watched them from DTD then stopped by the CL for some snacks. We really enjoyed the glass elevator to the CL... my boys called it the outside alligator :) In our room the kids found that "someone" had left them chocolates on thier bed... we told them it was because they had been good in the park that day which made them happy. The next nights we left a few dollars for nighttime housekeeping and we received extra chocolates with our turndown service... So quick baths and then bedtime. Channel 44 in the hotel was princess bedtime stories... the boys really enjoyed this. They would play a few cartoons and then a princess would come out and tell a story... I believe we saw Snow White and Belle tel thier stories... it was a nice way to fall asleep.

Day 3 - A long and hot day

By day thre I had stopped taking notes so now I realy purly on memory!! We left the hotel around 7:20 as it was a non EE day (we had bfast at the CL). Our plan was to take the monorail in and go to TTMM. We were maybe the 20th in line at the monorail station. Around 7:55 the CM's starting letting people in through the security check and we made the first monorail out. We arrived at the monorail gate at 8:04 and decided to check on the Nemo line... the crowds were INSANE. What a diff from an EE day. You could def tell the difference. So we headed over to TT and as we approached we saw the CM turning people away because they didn't have tickets... and then my heart fell. I FORGOT OUR TICS IN THE ROOM. I double checked my travel purse and all I had were the tics for Turtle Talk and the Prefrerred Seating for the CA shows. I approached the CM and explained my issue... showed him my other tics and tried to look pathetic... which wasn't hard. He let us in!! Whooo hooo... We played around toom town watched Mickey come in... managed to be 5th in line to meet Mickey (send someone to wait in line... it gets long fast!!) walked through some of the houses and Donalds Boat.... and then the kids rode the Go Coaster maybe a 10 min wait. That has to the fastest ride in all of DL. Afterwards the boys wanted to ride.... anything! so they went on Teacups as I went and got FP for Autotopia then we all went on its a small world. We then waited in line for Dumbo and Caseys Train... headed over to Autopoia and saw the characters driving the cars which was a hoot and then headed back on the monorail. We were lucky to ride with the driver just about every other ride and the boys got a kick out of it. Back in DTD we had lunch at ESPN again.... it was cool inside... not crowded and close to the hotel. Then we all crashed for another 2.5 hours!

That afternoon we headed straight to CA. We tried to get FP for GRR but they were out so we grabbed FP for Soarin' and then got in line for GRR. We were concerned that one of our boys wouldn't be tall enough but he stood tall and passed (barely) everytime they checked him... sometimes the crowd cheered which made him smile. The wait was maybe 35 miinutes but it was worth it. All 5 of us went on and we loved it. Even my Mom was laughing at the end. In fact we liked it so much we got back in line after we got off... another 35 min wait... 3 more height checks (despite the face he was soaked from riding already) and we went on again. Afterwards we grabbed some popcorn and lined up to see Lightening McQueen and Mater. We did some shopping as we waited for our FP window to open up for Soarin. I love the FP lone for Soarin... it really is fast... you will notice that not all FP lines are the same once you are there. Soarin in one word was AMAZING. My Mom just LOVED this. You have to experience this ride to appreciate it... it way exceeded my exectations. This ride became one of my DS favs... he called it Flyin over CA :) We used the GC exit and picked up food at Whitewater snacks to take back to the CL with us. We got thier in time to grab some tables and eat while we watched the FW show. If you do CL at the DLH this is a must do but you have to get there at least 30 min early to get a seat. Make sure you ask the CM's which windows they open... if you are not at one of the openings the view isn't that great. Afterwards we headed to the room.... quick baths for the boys... made the decsion to gun for Nemo the next morning and hit the sack.

To be cont'd

Awesome! I'm so excited for you!!!! I can't wait to be there!!! More, more, more, more!

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!

PS - what are "uncrustables"?

Great idea to bring the snacks popcorn:: from the CL for your wait for EE. I might have to think about checking on concierge for our trip!! pirate: princess:

Uncrustables are Smuckers pre-made PB&J sandwhiches.. they sell them frozen and then when they thaw out you have a sandwhich... I tried them for the first time in the CL lounge and they are quite yummy!!

Day 4 - It was the best of times... it was the worst of times ~ The quest for Nemo

The monorail station is right above the nemo subs in TL. EVERY time we arrived or left the boys would ask... when are we getting on Nemo? So for our last day my DH agreed to gun for Nemo first thing on our second day of EE.

I got up extra early at 4:15 and started to get ready... I wanted to be out the door at 6 am. After showering and laying out the kids clothes I went to get my backpack ready.... only I couldn't find my backpack... my mind raced... I had left it in the CL the night before!!!! OMG OMG OMG... I went into a panic. My Camera and the kids autograph books were in there!! And wehad bfast with Minnie that morning! Complete panic!! I called the front desk and Ellen had someone from security meet me at the lounge.. wet hair and all... but my bag was NOT there. The security guy noticing my tears assured me that my bag was probably in lost and found and he made a few calls... no one could get into lost and found until 7 am!!! In tears I returned to my room...my husband told me not to worry. We had our park tickets... our money... our ID's. I agreed to try and not worry until we spoke to someone at lost and found. It was 5:30 so we finished getting ready and headed out the door at 6 am. We were at the gates at 6:15 and we were the 4th family in our line.

My husband had his ticket and I had the other 4... the plan was that he would "walk with purpose" to Nemo and we would "walk with purpose" (at a 4 yo rate) and catch up. I gave him instruction on where to go and we waited for the countdown. To our surprise they opened EVERY line vs every other line this day. Once people realized this the lines started to fill in... my DH stepped right into the line next to us and we were both 2nd in line... they started the countdown and the CM's started scanning tics.... I got through with the kids and looked back and my DH was STILL 2nd in line... he yelled GO! GO! so I passed my son's hand to my mom and I was off!!

Now let frame this for you... I am Pooh sized... and it is crazy with people all over the place as all the lines were open.... but I take off for Nemo in what I would call a VERY fast walk / jog.... it wasn't pretty... "just keep running... just keep running"... to my surprise I was passing people. Not a ton of people mind you as some were in a full run... by the time I got to the end of main street I was searching for my DH... SURELY he should have passed me by now... As I reach the Astro Oribitors he reaches me and says "slow down slow down... catch uyour breathe and get the kids and your Mom... point me in the right direction"... the crowds were going in through the Astro Orbitors but I knew the faster way was by the Matterhorn... so I pointed the way and he was off! I looked back and saw my Mom and the boys going at a trot. I caught my breathe as they caught up with me. We continued our walk to the Nemo line. The boys were laughing saying "Mommy you were running fassssttttt..."... the things we do for our kids... We round the Matterhorn and we hear the CM's yelling... I assumed it was "stop running" so I didn't pay too much attention... but then I heard... Nemo.... down and I stopped and listened. Nemo was "temporarily down"... what else could go wrong?!?

I hoped that my DH had continued in line... as temp down doesn't mean down... luckily he had. We caught up with him along with all the other familes catching up with thier line spotters and settled in.. we were may 100 people back and felt good about our spot. Our saving grace was going by the Matterhorn vs Astro Orbiter. After about a 20 minute wait a cheer erupted as it was announced that Nemo was up!!! A short 10 min wait and we were boarding the 3rd sub out that day!! The smile on my boys faces and the amazement in thier voice as the proclaimed "look there's Nemo... look there's Dory..." made it all worth it. I am so glad we did it!!

We got off the subs at 7:50 and headed to FL where we rode the Teacups... Dumbo twice and Casey twice before heading over to Minnie's for bfast.

I won't go into too much detail as you must be bored of my vaca by now!! But my tip for Minnie is do NOT sit outside by the exit to go to the bathroom... if you sit outside sit on the side by the hostess. I'll go into more detail if anyone is interested.

We rode a few more rides... went back for a nap and then headed to CA for GRR and Soarin one more time. Then we watched the Disney parade rode the train and Jungle Cruise and then the train one more time.

I made these little tags for kids based on a tip I received from this board. The tag had a LGMH on one side with thier name... the other had a little paragraph that stated the hotel we were staying at and 3 numbers where we could be reached. I received several comments on them through out the stay... mostly from CM's who said they wished more parents would do it. I mention this because someone made a comment about them at our last train wait... when I mentioned I had received the tip from a disney board they asked.... the DISBOARDS... and I said yes... and that is how I met TORONTO GAL!! I had worn my own LGMH on my travel purse the whole trip but never saw another one. (I made my own on the computer vs the one from home depot... I had one to go off of but found it easier to simulate one for the tags). We chatted about the boards and it was nice to bump into someone before we left!!

We headed back to the monorail in TL and waited for the first time to board... the boys waved goodbye to the park and we headed to the hotel to get ready to come home.

On our last day we did Goofy for bfast.... had a bellman help with the bags are were pleased to find the super shuttle waiting for us 10 minutes early.... and off we headed for home!!

We will go back in 3 years when the boys are 7 and ride some of the rides by themselves... and are a little more daring and willing to try some of the bigger rides. All in all it was successful vacation and we had a blast!! I woud def do it again!!

Thanks to everyone who posts tips, trip reports and reviews!!!

P.S. I will be doing a seperate Pooh sized ride review - OK started the poohsized review thread.... here is a link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=20259074#post20259074

hate to sound confused, but what is a LGMY tag? and I can't wait for your pooh sized report, I am going in Jan and as a pooh sized traveler going to disney for the first time this will be great.

Hey Trekkie! Sorry that should have been LGMH for Lime Green Mickey Head... it is the symbol that the Dis Boarders use to identify themselves as well Dis Boarders!! Some people go to home depot and go to the paint section and get the Alien Green Disney Paint Card... it has a Micky head on it and laminate it as a marker... I got one to see the color and just made my own with a color printer and power point... it wasn't exact... but close enough :)

Here is the link to my pooh size review:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=20259074#post20259074

My review is limited to those rides we got on with the kids but I hope others will reply with thier experience. Have a greattime in Jan amd let me know if you have any questions.

Great idea to bring the snacks popcorn:: from the CL for your wait for EE. I might have to think about checking on concierge for our trip!! pirate: princess:

Yep....breakfast (whether it's chow from the concierge or mcbreakfast sandwiches) while waiting in line for EE is a good use of time. :)

(also a good time to slather on sunscreen).

Thanks for the Great Trip Report, Adam&Alex'sMom. Lots of great information & it sounds like you all had a great time. :thumbsup2

Great trip report -- I needed a little Disney this morning.;)

By any chance, do you still have your MTTMM tickets? I am looking for 3 for our October trip. :flower3:

Hey I don't mean to be nosy, but did you ever find your backpack? I really hope so. Glad you had a great trip. We will be there mid October and I can't wait.

Great trip report -- I needed a little Disney this morning.;)

By any chance, do you still have your MTTMM tickets? I am looking for 3 for our October trip. :flower3:

Let me check and see if it is our bag of "stuff" that still needs to be cleaned out. It is on my list to do this weekend :)

diznynut: YES!! We did get my backpack back. I called lost and found from the Nemo line and I was relieved that they had it!! Thank you for asking!

I enjoyed your trip report. We are going with 3 and 5-year old boys in October, so it was helpful.

I enjoyed reading your trip report and are glad you had a great time. Thanks for wiritng about the concierge snacks available. We've going in a few weeks and will be doing concierge for the 1st time at DLH. I'm looking forward to it after reading your review.

Hi there!

It was such a pleasure meeting you at Disneyland! Your kids are adorable!

I am just about to read your trip report now.

:banana:

Haven't had a chance to write a trip report - still recovering! LOL

We did not get to ride The Subs either. I was so disappointed. The 1st visit the line was over 2 hours at 7:15am. Day 2 was much better - we had a great spot in line, but then found out the ride was closed due to repairs! Just our luck!

I did not know about concierge snacks at Disney Hotel - when was that? We were staying at the pool view Marina Tower (they just changed the name to Magic Tower).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter