A Fish Eating Vegetarian's Guide To The World..(UPDATED 8/28 p.3 #40!!)

Cape May Cafe: I didn't make a reservation here because being from New England, I was worried that the WDW idea of a cookbook just wouldn't live up to what we can get here. Now I'm thinking maybe we should have gone with it. It sounds great.

Wolfgang Puck: This became a tradition for me when I would visit my friend who used to live in Orlando. We had to have lunch at Wolfgang's and I almost always ordered sushi. It is so good! Last time we sat at the sushi bar and loved watching them make it. (Friend lives in PA now.) Last year, hubby and I had dinner there. Our plan for our upcoming trip was to only go to places we'd never been, but I'm thinking we may have to make an exception for a sushi lunch.

Great reviews. I am a meat eater, but I love fish too. I had planned on going to Kona on our next trip just for the seafood soup. I'm glad to hear it was yummy.:goodvibes

Cape May Cafe: I didn't make a reservation here because being from New England, I was worried that the WDW idea of a cookbook just wouldn't live up to what we can get here. Now I'm thinking maybe we should have gone with it. It sounds great.

Wolfgang Puck: This became a tradition for me when I would visit my friend who used to live in Orlando. We had to have lunch at Wolfgang's and I almost always ordered sushi. It is so good! Last time we sat at the sushi bar and loved watching them make it. (Friend lives in PA now.) Last year, hubby and I had dinner there. Our plan for our upcoming trip was to only go to places we'd never been, but I'm thinking we may have to make an exception for a sushi lunch.

Hmmm...You're initial hunch on not going to Cape May Cafe may still be correct. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was great! However, their clam chowder paled in comparison to when I had it in Boston a few years ago. If you do go, keep an open mind. It may be fun to see Disney's take on New England style seafood.

Yes Wolfgang is great and we may have to make it part of our yearly trek there too because the food was so delicious! I think he has other restaurants in other locations (Vegas maybe?) Why can't he make one where I live?!? :rolleyes1

Great reviews. I am a meat eater, but I love fish too. I had planned on going to Kona on our next trip just for the seafood soup. I'm glad to hear it was yummy.:goodvibes

Thanks! Yes - GO TO KONA CAFE! You will certainly fall in love with their seafood chowder :thumbsup2

Yes Wolfgang is great and we may have to make it part of our yearly trek there too because the food was so delicious! I think he has other restaurants in other locations (Vegas maybe?) Why can't he make one where I live?!? :rolleyes1

That's my question of Emeril's - which is another tradition on our Orlando visits - although a pretty pricey one. The man was born and raised in Massachusetts, so why doesn't he have a restaurant here?

I think Wolfgang does have a place in the New England area, but I'm not positive. I may have to look into that. Ok...he has 2 at Logan airport. And I think he opened a new place at the ICA museum which just opened recently here in Boston.

He has restaurants all over the place and by many different names. The one at Disney is Wolfgang Puck's Gourment Express...and the closest one to you is in NJ at Newark International.

That's my question of Emeril's - which is another tradition on our Orlando visits - although a pretty pricey one. The man was born and raised in Massachusetts, so why doesn't he have a restaurant here?

I think Wolfgang does have a place in the New England area, but I'm not positive. I may have to look into that. Ok...he has 2 at Logan airport. And I think he opened a new place at the ICA museum which just opened recently here in Boston.

He has restaurants all over the place and by many different names. The one at Disney is Wolfgang Puck's Gourment Express...and the closest one to you is in NJ at Newark International.

Emeril has a restaurant in New Orleans too. When I was there (pre-Katrina) I remember seeing it. I didn't know he was from Mass...I thought he was from NY. Why does it sound like he has a NY accent? The way he cooks it would seem he is from the south...:sad2:

As for me venturing to Newark to get some Wolfgang Puck...I think I'll wait for my yearly trek to WDW...:rotfl:

Didn't realize I had to be so technical.

Not so much a matter of technicality, as a matter of misnomer. True vegetarians would shriek in horror to hear the term so loosely defined. I've known people who called themselves vegetarians yet ate seafood AND poultry! :scared1:

I figure if it's worth making the effort to label yourself, and you obviously found it to be so, judging from your thread title, then it's worth labeling yourself correctly.

Cheers!
Heather W

Also, the rolls are fried and to me when I hear vegetable spring rolls I think steamed, so right there I was duped!

Spring rolls are always fried; summer rolls are the ones that are not fried.

See Wikipedia:
Summer rolls (gỏi cuốn, literally "mix salad rolled" in Vietnamese) are unfried wraps with pork, shrimp, herbs, rice vermicelli, and other ingredients wrapped in rice paper. Summer rolls are often confused with spring rolls, which are typically stuffed with pork/shrimp, cabbage, and bean thread vermicelli and are always fried.

Cheers!
Heather W

Not so much a matter of technicality, as a matter of misnomer. True vegetarians would shriek in horror to hear the term so loosely defined. I've known people who called themselves vegetarians yet ate seafood AND poultry! :scared1:

I figure if it's worth making the effort to label yourself, and you obviously found it to be so, judging from your thread title, then it's worth labeling yourself correctly.

Well thanks for the correction, wouldn't want to offend anyone.

Spring rolls are always fried; summer rolls are the ones that are not fried.

See Wikipedia:
Summer rolls (gỏi cuốn, literally "mix salad rolled" in Vietnamese) are unfried wraps with pork, shrimp, herbs, rice vermicelli, and other ingredients wrapped in rice paper. Summer rolls are often confused with spring rolls, which are typically stuffed with pork/shrimp, cabbage, and bean thread vermicelli and are always fried.

Well I am not sure Wikipedia is the most reliable source, since they allow anyone to alter the content of their entries.

If you enjoy reading my thread then please continue to enjoy reading it. Otherwise, please keep the rest of your comments to yourself thanks.

If you enjoy reading my thread then please continue to enjoy reading it. Otherwise, please keep the rest of your comments to yourself thanks.[/QUOTE]

Wow.:eek:

The only reason why I wrote that is because it seems the above poster has had to challenge every single thing I have written to the point that he or she went so far as to research it on the internet....I just think that if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all.

I did not mean to sound rude or saying people shouldn't comment. I hope that is not how you took it. I am enjoying everyone else's comments, so please continue to keep the comments coming..:thumbsup2

Oh and there will be another update either tomorrow or Wed. I know I have been lacking but had a busy weekend.

:goodvibes

I love READING others reviews..... I truly APPRECIATE that people take the time to post them ....... I was brought up with the golden rule........

I........ oh you get the picture, right? :goodvibes :hug: :teacher:

Enjoying your reviews! I am so glad you had positive things to say about the Kona Cafe, this is one restaurant that I wasn't too sure about...I'll definitely try the soup and shrimp/scallop. Look forward to more!

:goodvibes

I love READING others reviews..... I truly APPRECIATE that people take the time to post them ....... I was brought up with the golden rule........

I........ oh you get the picture, right? :goodvibes :hug: :teacher:

I get the picture ;)

Thanks for the positive words!

Enjoying your reviews! I am so glad you had positive things to say about the Kona Cafe, this is one restaurant that I wasn't too sure about...I'll definitely try the soup and shrimp/scallop. Look forward to more!

Yes I have been dreaming about it ever since! Very yummy!

Thanks for the positive words! I will be writing another review later on today...so stay tuned:surfweb:

The only reason why I wrote that is because it seems the above poster has had to challenge every single thing I have written to the point that he or she went so far as to research it on the internet....I just think that if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all.

I did not mean to sound rude or saying people shouldn't comment. I hope that is not how you took it. I am enjoying everyone else's comments, so please continue to keep the comments coming..:thumbsup2

Oh and there will be another update either tomorrow or Wed. I know I have been lacking but had a busy weekend.

Your comment to Heather did seem rude to me, whether you meant to be or not. I thought she seemed to be trying to be helpful about the spring rolls. She's also quite right to correct you that a fish-eater isn't a vegetarian. Many people have the wrong idea about what we vegetarians actually do eat. All too often I've seen people on these boards suggest fish dishes for us. :mad:

I am looking forward to more installments--it's always interesting to see how people perceive some of the same things I've eaten, and perhaps I can know what to expect at places I haven't. Pescetarians and vegetarians often do wind up eating the same meals at WDW, after all. :)

Less nitpicking, more reviews. :laughing:

Really enjoying looking at all the food pics. I'm anxiously waiting more!

I'm not a vegetarian but I am loving your reviews:goodvibes Thanks for taking the time to write them.

Terri

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Now on with the reviews...

DAY FOUR

Today we wanted to do some shopping at DTD, so we decided where else would we eat lunch but Earl of Sandwich! Now I went here two years ago and I absolutely loved this place. I thought the sandwiches were fresh and the potato salad was very yummy! I was hoping that we would have this experience again.

When we got there it was really crowded (about 12:30-ish). I also noticed there were lots of 'suits' there and I figured they may have come from the Hilton or one of the other DTD Hotels since its just a short walk away. We got on line (which moved quickly), and were trying to figure out what exactly you were allowed to get as a 'dessert' with the dining plan. I wasn't really in the mood for something sweet so I was hoping that I could get chips. Well, when you get up to the register there is a sign and it reads: 'Disney Dining Plan Guests may choose from any of our sandwiches, a cookie, brownie, or muffin for dessert, and a fountain drink'.

Now, I found this place to be the LEAST accomodating restaurant (both counter and table service) to the dining plan. I am thinking because it is not Disney owned (it isn't, right?). If it is, then I am wondering why they are so strict there. I mean obviously, I can see people trying to take advantage ordering their homemade ice cream sandwiches or a side like potato salad. But for them to not offer chips as a dessert was kind of strict to me. Anyways, I ended up ordering a tuna melt, choc chip cookie (seeing a pattern here?), and an iced tea. I am bringing up the iced tea because I remember it being particularly good here. Or maybe I was just thirsty, but I really enjoyed it!

OK, so the tuna melt. It was rather good, the bread was grilled nicely and the cheese was very melty (I think it was swiss), however they put some kind of spice in the tuna that I did not care for at all. I couldn't put my finger on it, so I don't know for sure what it was, but I didn't really like it. However, minus that spice, this was a pretty good sandwich. I would suggest paying extra for soup or potato salad as the sandwiches didn't seem to fill us up that much. We were having an early dinner, so for us it was fine, but if you are hungry I don't think it will cut it. The cookie, of course was delicious!!

So, about that early dinner...We were booked at Hollywood & Vine for a 4:40 ressie with the FDP. We did FDP last year at Mama Melrose (which I disliked intensly), and I figured a buffet would suit both of our tastes. Plus I had read the menus on the DIS and other sites and it seemed they put some different and unique dishes out on the buffet so I figured, hey lets give it a try!

Before I get on with the review I want to state that I don't like Disney's policy with the FDP about people having to eat early. It makes me a little upset. I understand that Fantasmic starts at 9, and people need to get a good seat (even in the 'special section'--which I will comment on later), but I don't really enjoy eating my dinner so early, so I don't know why I can't just take the chance and eat a little later (5:40 would have been acceptable to me!)

OK, so we got the Hollywood & Vine at 4:38. It was brutally hot that day. There were LOTS of people waiting outside and I thought for sure we were going to be waiting a while. A word of caution - there is no indoor waiting area for this restaurant. Sci-Fi Dine-In has an indoor waiting area, but H&V and 50's Primetime (which are connected) do not seem to have one (although I didn't look inside 50's so I am not 100% sure, but I know H&V didn't have one).

We were actually seated rather quickly and by 5:00 we were ready to attack the buffet. Our waitress was nice, however she was a bit slow. She took our drink order, and didn't come back for a while before she brought our drinks. We also witnessed about 6 empty tables not being sat with still LOTS of people waiting outside...not sure what was going on there that night.

Onto the food...I got some baked salmon, tomato-basil polenta, mashed potatos, a yummy garlic pasta dish, and some ceasar salad. I wasn't impressed with the salad or the polenta, however the salmon and pasta was really good. I think the buffet chages from time to time so I am not sure if these exact dishes will be offered at all times. The ceasar salad was your run of the mill ceasar that they serve all over the parks, nothing that special there. The salmon was spiced with garlic and herbs and it was very tasty. The past was pretty simple with garlic and oil and some herbs, but again very tasty. The tomato-basil polenta didn't excite me. I thought they skimped on the spices here, it didn't have much taste.

For dessert I wasn't too impressed. They had mini cheesecakes, rice krispy treats, and self serve ice cream. It was good, just not much in the way of choice.

This meal was pretty good, but I don't think we will go back. I think that if I am going to go to a buffet, Cape May Clam Bake wins hands down over this one. I am more into the New England style seafood than the home cooking type food offered at this place. It does seem though that for a family with a broad range of tastes, this would be a good choice. The kids section seemed to offer the run of the mill kids foods, mac & cheese, chicken fingers, pizza. While the adults can enjoy some different food offerings.

I know this is a dining review but I have to comment on the FDP and the seating at Fantasmic for it. Like I said before, we did FDP last year too. And while it is extremely convenient in that you don't have to line up 2 hours in advance for a good seat, it really isn't worth it that much because the section they have for the FDP is off to the side. I think that they should at least have a center section reserved for the FDP crowd. OK, I will get off my soap box now...:rolleyes1

Sorry there were no pics today, in fact I am not sure if there are anymore food pics. I'll try to throw in some pics of other things (i.e., castle) just to get some visuals. I have to be more conscious of taking pics of my food next time before I go and devour it!

Stay tuned for day five and once again lunch at POFQ food court and dinner at Rose and Crown :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter