A Full Go on Riviera Resort

Forgot to add: VIEWS. As long as you are on a high enough floor (5 and up for standard?), there are largely open views and they are pretty. A majority of the rooms, both standard and preferred, should have some views of fireworks somewhere.

I have no issue with people being happy/excited about their Riviera purchase. I was close to being one of those people for a lot of the same reasons; beautiful resort, 50 year value proposition, 2042, wife, etc., but when posters talk about how Riviera is a great purchase because other timeshare resort properties are worn down, or the idea that Riviera is in fact a better, future-proofed location than BWV/BCV, or the way you’ve spent pages upon pages with all sorts of financial gymnastics to argue that Riviera is comparably priced to BWV, I start to get the sense that ownership is coloring subjectivity.

And when there are biased perspectives in any direction, whether it’s a starry-eyed Riviera owner or an incensed anti-resale-restriction owner, we should all hope there will be dissenting voices that will provide some measure of balance to that.
I too am unclear on how RIviera, as a timeshare property likely to run at 99% occupancy rates, will somehow avoid the wear and tear seen at every other DVC property. I am unclear where/how Disney have said RIviera will be on a faster refurbishment schedule than any other property (DVC or non!) that they own.

If you want a HS/EP resort with a long contract, just own that, but don't delude yourself that anything but the four walls isn't subject to wear, tear and even change.
To be fair to the OP they implied they understood resorts would wear down and suggested at that point they will sell their resort (BLT so I extended their logic in that they eventually believe Riviera will get there) and buy whatever is new at the time. I personally took the highlighted statement below to suggest that. Also to the OP's defense they aren't wrong DVC was kind of lax on the refurbishment of it's rooms: OKW's original redo, BRV refresh, BWV/BCV is significantly under quality vs SSR current redo. So like the OP (I originally wanted BCV) but decided against adding on once I stayed in the room and realized it was a ways away from a Hard Goods refresh but was really worn and not well taken care of (though I found BWV to be a little worn but that management did a better job of maintaining).
To say these resorts are tired is an understatement. The bathrooms need full gutting. The soft goods do their best to cover what is inevitable. I guess you can only paint so many times before you need to redo the trim, walls, etc. I guess this is the life of a timeshare and eventually BLT will end up in the same spot. Perhaps our expectations for timeshares are too high? I can see us selling BLT when the condition deteriorates to this level and will buy into a newer MK DVC when the time comes…

In 25 years, BWV/BCV 2.0 will be coming online (assuming we are not all underwater), and they'll have point charts and buy in costs that will reflect their new status. While it's true that a lot of the Riviera-lovers are in love with the newness of the resort, there are a few resort- and room- specific touches that are design-based and not just new paint/carpet related (although the new paint/carpet are nice). For one, I think (hope) that the murphy beds are the wave of the future. They are SO much more comfortable than the sofa beds. Whatever issues they were having with them seem to have been cleared up at RIV, although SSR still seems to be having issues.

The MK monorails opened in 1971 - that's almost 50 years ago. The other thing is that gondolas have been in use in urban areas around the world and in ski resorts for many many years too, whereas monorails are a lot less common. I've seen the updating at ski resort gondolas and I think it is possible to keep those running smoothly for a longer period of time. My kids would love to just ride the skyliner over and over again.

There are some things that I believe are superior, that are design-based rather than just "new materials." Here's just a few off the top of my head (some I've described in other posts):

1. Having 2 banks of elevators - one for each wing, a little way off from the lobby. Most of the public areas on 1 and 2, so this helps keep the casual guests using the stairs and also splits up the population using the elevators. Similar to the 2 banks at BLT, compare to the single bank right off the lobby at Contemporary that everyone with a stroller needs to use. At the Contemporary we usually have to wait for a few elevators before we can get on to the elevator with a stroller or a scooter. You can get to either pool without having to walk through the lobby (I'm looking at you, BCV).

2. One wing is more convenient to the Skyliner, one is more convenient to the feature pool and restaurants and "backyard." Again, you can choose based on which matters more to you, and arguably families with kids might choose to be closer to the pools while the F&W and festivals crowds might prefer to be closer to the Skyliner.

3. The "backyard" is gorgeous and laid out very well. The way the resort is laid out, it invites guests to walk around and spend time there, there's a bocce ball court and lots of seating where you can eat outside after getting your Primo Piatto order, or just hang out and enjoy the view.

4. The non-feature pool is long enough for real laps. Other than the Swolphin lap pools, this is the only place I'm aware where you can swim laps on Disney property.

5. You can access all the restaurants, skyliner and bus without being in the rain.

6. Having the front entrance on 2 and the backyard entrance on 1 - also tends to split the crowds. It's ok that the lobby is on the small side because most of the time you aren't going through the lobby if you're staying there. People coming in from cars and buses will enter on 2, people coming in from the skyliner will enter on 1 - and there are multiple doors to enter on 1, depending on whether you're going to your room or a restaurant.

7. In the rooms - the murphy beds. So much more comfortable. And the murphy in the 1BR LR is a curved couch, AND there's chairs, so there's still seating in the living room even when the bed is down. On either side of the murphy bed when you pull it down, there's little cubbies and shelves where you can plug in your devices, keep a glass of water, put your glasses and a book, etc.

8. More storage. We were at VGF in a 1br before moving to RIV and although the hallways are a little narrower, there is a real coat closet in the hall where the vacuum, high chair and pack and play sit, and we kept our owner's locker in there. The VGF mbr had a walk in closet, and the RIV mbr closet is smaller, but it has shelves, which I found very useful. Ditto with the bathrooms and the kitchen - shelves galore. There's a row of hooks for coats and ponchos when you first walk in, and a small shelf where we kept our magicbands. There's space under the bed to stick empty suitcases. There's more storage in the dresser.

9. Not sure this will be done on a soft goods refurb in other resorts, and surely in 10 years this will seem dated as well, but the smart TVs have a few Disney shows and movies on demand, and you can screen cast Disney+ from your phone or ipad. You can screen cast any chrome-enabled (?) app, which for us is Disney+. We have a smart TV from 2011 at home, and we can't even do this so easily.

These are all really excellent and well thought out bullet points. Your post reassures me more about our purchase. I would add to this the larger rooms (except the tower studios), more outlets & USB ports, and the walking/running trail around the lake, which I haven’t seen anyone mention, but really liked when we stayed at Carribean Beach, years ago.

We really love the walkability of Beach Club and Boardwalk but not in love with the rooms.

We bought direct in May 2019. We had rented points many times before for only AKV Jambo House. studios, 1brs a few times and 2brs on a couple occasions. We just love the "lodgy" feel and even though we considered CCV, the animals won us over.
We got a "welcome home" booking and were lucky enough to get 2 studios at BCV for Food & Wine even though the resort had no DVC availability. The walking to Epcot was about 5/6 minutes from our room to the International Gateway. I think the walk to HS was 15 minutes. We took the boat also.
At our initial tour, we were showed the Riviera rooms. They were beautiful. Our guide was "lightly" pushing them, but since we had rented before and I sort of knew the points required for each resort and that we love AKV Jambo House, we said we were set on AKV.

We did not buy on the spot. We had a few more days at WDW and on our last day, we called our guide and said we were ready.
So, by the middle of May we were owners at our beloved AKV. But, we only bought 100 points- - So, we called our guide in September to add 25 more. Those were added within a day or so since we paid via debit card but our contracts were filed at the end of May.

I am writing all this to say- we LOVE AKV and it is our home resort, we fell in love with BCV when we stayed there and will buy resale in the near future to enjoy staying there during F&W, but I fully expect to love CCV when we stay there in May 2020 and so we may look to buy there - resale of course.
So, buy where you want to stay. Our ONLY regrets are that we should have bought earlier AND not having the cash to buy more points RIGHT NOW. We should have the cash for our resale purchase soon and I can not wait ! (We have an entertainment budget for movies, dinners out, vacation, annual passes, flights, etc. of $10000/year and if we continue to skip the movies and meals out then we will be ready to add on again within the next year or two). who knows, if we visit DRR then we may see that we need a 100 points there but as of now, for convenience to HS and EPCOT - we will choose BCV. Either way, we are all "neighbors" since we all own a share of the Magic. :)

I have no issue with people being happy/excited about their Riviera purchase. I was close to being one of those people for a lot of the same reasons; beautiful resort, 50 year value proposition, 2042, wife, etc., but when posters talk about how Riviera is a great purchase because other timeshare resort properties are worn down, or the idea that Riviera is in fact a better, future-proofed location than BWV/BCV, or the way you’ve spent pages upon pages with all sorts of financial gymnastics to argue that Riviera is comparably priced to BWV, I start to get the sense that ownership is coloring subjectivity.

And when there are biased perspectives in any direction, whether it’s a starry-eyed Riviera owner or an incensed anti-resale-restriction owner, we should all hope there will be dissenting voices that will provide some measure of balance to that.

Let me clarify one point, I shared personal examples that my staying at RIV is comparable to staying at BWV and it was in response to a post that stated RIV was double the point cost all the time,

Please don’t put words in my mouth that I never said. I have never said point costs are not higher at RIV, but only that if you have to choose between BCV or BWV garden vs. RIV SV, you won’t be breaking the bank on every trip. Anyone forced to stay preferred view all the time will, but since owners have a chance at SV, it changes the picture.

OP, so excited for you and your new purchase. It will give you a lot of years of wonderful trips!

These are all really excellent and well thought out bullet points. Your post reassures me more about our purchase. I would add to this the larger rooms (except the tower studios), more outlets & USB ports, and the walking/running trail around the lake, which I haven’t seen anyone mention, but really liked when we stayed at Carribean Beach, years ago.

We really love the walkability of Beach Club and Boardwalk but not in love with the rooms.
HAHA, my DH is a runner and a swimmer, and I am a swimmer and don't run, so the pool was top of mind for me. He did notice the running trail map as we were trying to decide whether we'd want to walk to the CBR skyliner station on HS days.

To the OP: Congratulations and welcome home! We also own at BLT and VGF, and had actually tried to buy both/either BCV and BWV resale in the past. We did spend a good amount of time our last few days on the boardwalk, enjoying the atmosphere. Like Sandisw, we much prefer walking and are thrilled we will soon be able to do it from BLT *and* VGF. Although the Skyliner was down a few times during our stay, we did use it quite a bit and on balance I think it's a fair trade for not being able to walk - I wouldn't say one is better than the other, because the Skyliner is like another ride when you're on it - my kids LOVE it, and it's certainly preferable over walking in a downpour, which I have also done. So, trying to be as objective as possible, I think that transportation is a wash for us because there are benefits to the Skyliner that make it actually enjoyable.

Skyliner vs walking in a downpour is another great point, as well as the great views from the resort and rooms. We also feel like the Skyliner is a fun “ride”.

HAHA, my DH is a runner and a swimmer, and I am a swimmer and don't run, so the pool was top of mind for me. He did notice the running trail map as we were trying to decide whether we'd want to walk to the CBR skyliner station on HS days.

I’m so glad you mentioned the lap-swimmability of the pool! I’m a swimmer and though I don’t seem to find much time for the pool at WDW, this is also great to know.

The walking to Epcot was about 5/6 minutes from our room to the International Gateway. I think the walk to HS was 15 minutes. We took the boat also.

Glad you timed these - psychologically, walking always seems faster, but the difference is negligible. My timed trips to/from IG to Riviera were 8-9 minutes, and between RIV and HS, even including standing in line at CBR to transfer, ranged from 13-20 minutes. It's true that walking is more exercise and you only need to rely on your own 2 feet, but Skyliner has its benefits too. (Compare to the boats - while charming, they are SO SLOW.)

I’m so glad you mentioned the lap-swimmability of the pool! I’m a swimmer and though I don’t seem to find much time for the pool at WDW, this is also great to know.

🏊‍♀️🤽‍♀️

We have a lot of Marriott points, and had previously been doing split stays at the Swolphin JUST so we could do laps a couple times during our stays. And after owning DVC, we are trying to slow down our visits and not be park commandos. Having a big pool (the lifeguard had to ask, they said it was "76 feet") is an added incentive to building in more resort time. Also that pool opens at 7am.

Which reminds me - Riviera also has a well laid out fitness center that is centrally located! To be fair, I've not seen the inside of any "Disney" fitness center other than the one at Swolphin to compare, but part of that is they are always located somewhere out of the way.

Welcome home. Every DVC resort has its fans and detractors so to say one is superior to another is in the eye of beholder. I just came back from WDW and tried skyliner several times just for fun. I feel it adds a considerable value to Riveira as well as Caribbean beach resorts who now have a very easy and quick way to get to two parks. I didn't get stuck so that factors in to my feelings.

The outside of the Riviera doesn't appeal to me at all but then either does BLT. I will not make a judgement about resort itself until I stay there as that can make all the difference in the world from a first impression that could be faulty. I own at BWV and AKV and while I like AKV , I'm not a fan of staying there. I bought based on hype of having animals right outside your window. The problem is that wore off for me after first visit and nothing else about the resort except Jiko appeals to me. I would sell but have been able to use points elsewhere with little issue so let it be.

Now BWV is my primary home and after 20 years and multiple visits, I still love it there. I love walking to two parks, now the skyliner for variety and sometimes monorail to Ticket and Transportation center. The ambience of the Boardwalk area itself sells me. The rooms are nice enough though not as nice as GFV but comfortable and functional. That is my main priority. The points are such that it is easy to stay longer and that factors in to my planning.

I still have enough time left on my contracts to get me into my 90's but have thought about buying more points for my grandson to use and feed a new generation of Disney lovers. Not being able to sell Riveira easily is a big turn off for me. I love being able to try all the resorts and love them each for their uniqueness. My husband and I actually love OKW for just the two of us and a non Disney vacation. It is a lovely setting and large rooms seal the deal.

Just do your research before buying and learn how to use point system or you could get buyers remorse fairly quickly. I worry that when I'm gone my family will get the contracts but not know how to maximize their use. It takes a lot of time to know how to get most for your money.

Glad you timed these - psychologically, walking always seems faster, but the difference is negligible. My timed trips to/from IG to Riviera were 8-9 minutes, and between RIV and HS, even including standing in line at CBR to transfer, ranged from 13-20 minutes. It's true that walking is more exercise and you only need to rely on your own 2 feet, but Skyliner has its benefits too. (Compare to the boats - while charming, they are SO SLOW.)

🏊‍♀️🤽‍♀️

We have a lot of Marriott points, and had previously been doing split stays at the Swolphin JUST so we could do laps a couple times during our stays. And after owning DVC, we are trying to slow down our visits and not be park commandos. Having a big pool (the lifeguard had to ask, they said it was "76 feet") is an added incentive to building in more resort time. Also that pool opens at 7am.

Which reminds me - Riviera also has a well laid out fitness center that is centrally located! To be fair, I've not seen the inside of any "Disney" fitness center other than the one at Swolphin to compare, but part of that is they are always located somewhere out of the way.

Oh, that’s funny, we have been using Marriott points at the Swan & Dolphin as well, during trips where we want easy access to both Epcot and HS. Still never had the time to use the pool, even though we’ve been trying to slow down our park visit style. For me, it’s mainly having to get showered and blow dried and ready all over again that makes me not feel like using the pool.

I think there would be a lot more love on the Dis for Riviera if it wasn't for the new restrictions on resale.

Personally I think it would just be more people with pixie dust in their eyes. I think the restrictions have people looking a little more closely for issues. There are plenty on this board that said they wouldn't purchase there and then have. I think its better to start a skeptic and change your mind than just love it with no information (Reflections + DL DVC).

Many good points but again, someone is looking at things now and not in 25 years

I would just add that it might not be 25 years though for Riviera. I had read a review on opening day and while the review was mostly positive one of the things they called out was the lobby and the choice of that chandelier which they thought wouldn't age well.

I wouldn't worry about personally (as you know I have said some negative things and some positive on RIV). If you love the theme right now you will in 25 years most likely. It sounds like the theming of the BWV/BCV is just not the speed of the OP. I would say this is reinforced through their apparent love of BLT.

Time will tell but for me a place like Wilderness, Animal Kingdom, and Boardwalk are all going to age better than a ultra luxury/modernist hotel as the former are characterizations of a picture in someones head while the later is too closely tied to "modern".

Just do not think it’s necessary when someone is simply sharing what made them buy, especially when it comes to RIVera over BCV/BWV.

I would disagree this and this was brought up on the thread about someone posting "lets hear it for blue card owners". This is the purchasing subforum and one of the things I loved as I was looking at first purchasing DVC was people having different views and ideas on the same thing (as long as people are not stating something just false).

There are some things that I believe are superior, that are design-based rather than just "new materials." Here's just a few off the top of my head (some I've described in other posts):

1. Having 2 banks of elevators - one for each wing, a little way off from the lobby. Most of the public areas on 1 and 2, so this helps keep the casual guests using the stairs and also splits up the population using the elevators. Similar to the 2 banks at BLT, compare to the single bank right off the lobby at Contemporary that everyone with a stroller needs to use. At the Contemporary we usually have to wait for a few elevators before we can get on to the elevator with a stroller or a scooter. You can get to either pool without having to walk through the lobby (I'm looking at you, BCV).

2. One wing is more convenient to the Skyliner, one is more convenient to the feature pool and restaurants and "backyard." Again, you can choose based on which matters more to you, and arguably families with kids might choose to be closer to the pools while the F&W and festivals crowds might prefer to be closer to the Skyliner.

3. The "backyard" is gorgeous and laid out very well. The way the resort is laid out, it invites guests to walk around and spend time there, there's a bocce ball court and lots of seating where you can eat outside after getting your Primo Piatto order, or just hang out and enjoy the view.

4. The non-feature pool is long enough for real laps. Other than the Swolphin lap pools, this is the only place I'm aware where you can swim laps on Disney property.

5. You can access all the restaurants, skyliner and bus without being in the rain.

6. Having the front entrance on 2 and the backyard entrance on 1 - also tends to split the crowds. It's ok that the lobby is on the small side because most of the time you aren't going through the lobby if you're staying there. People coming in from cars and buses will enter on 2, people coming in from the skyliner will enter on 1 - and there are multiple doors to enter on 1, depending on whether you're going to your room or a restaurant.

7. In the rooms - the murphy beds. So much more comfortable. And the murphy in the 1BR LR is a curved couch, AND there's chairs, so there's still seating in the living room even when the bed is down. On either side of the murphy bed when you pull it down, there's little cubbies and shelves where you can plug in your devices, keep a glass of water, put your glasses and a book, etc.

8. More storage. We were at VGF in a 1br before moving to RIV and although the hallways are a little narrower, there is a real coat closet in the hall where the vacuum, high chair and pack and play sit, and we kept our owner's locker in there. The VGF mbr had a walk in closet, and the RIV mbr closet is smaller, but it has shelves, which I found very useful. Ditto with the bathrooms and the kitchen - shelves galore. There's a row of hooks for coats and ponchos when you first walk in, and a small shelf where we kept our magicbands. There's space under the bed to stick empty suitcases. There's more storage in the dresser.

9. Not sure this will be done on a soft goods refurb in other resorts, and surely in 10 years this will seem dated as well, but the smart TVs have a few Disney shows and movies on demand, and you can screen cast Disney+ from your phone or ipad. You can screen cast any chrome-enabled (?) app, which for us is Disney+. We have a smart TV from 2011 at home, and we can't even do this so easily.

I guess I don't get your list or how this resort is superior for it when others have what you are describing?
  1. Elevators? I mean isn't multiple elevator banks pretty much in every resort? Boardwalk as an example has Elevators on both sides of the lobby. Then you have Animal Kingdom with like 40 banks it seems haha.
  2. Not sure how the wings is superior? I understand its nice but superior to what as an example? Kidani has one side near transportation and otherside closer to pool. Same with Boardwalk having areas closer to pool, community hall, walking to Epcot or HS, or boats.
  3. "Backyard" layout again lets look at Boardwalk with well the boardwalk/entertainment or AKV which has a savannah.
  4. Lap pool so this is the first one you brought up that is an actual positive if true, don't swim laps so no clue.
  5. Not being outside would be similar to AKV where everything is covered or indoors.
  6. Entrance? I mean if you are staying at BWV you are not going to for sure go through the lobby. The busses you can cut a couple different ways, the boats the same, or if walk to HS/catch boat at Swolphin you are going to be going in another direction.
  7. Murphy beds? I mean they can add these everywhere when they do a refresh if they wanted.
  8. Storage would be a good point. Although out of your list only the coat closet couldn't be changed with a refresh elsewhere (but don't they already have closests elsewhere too). Beds that you can put luggage under, adding some shelves, or a hook at the front door is a fairly simple update if they find they want to add it elsewhere.
  9. Smart TV apps I would suspect would be added anywhere they replace all the TVs. Casting, built in catalog of movies, and built in MDE are things I would expect anytime they update the TVs at this point.

Maybe I misunderstood your list but you made it seem that these things were design elements that could not or are not replicated elsewhere? The only piece that seems truly independent would be the Lap Pool, coat closet (but don't most rooms have a main closet), and then possibly the elevators piece.

Correct me if I misunderstood something but your list seemed like it was trying to say RIV was superior because Disney now designed all this stuff in to Riveria that other resorts don't have.

I guess I don't get your list or how this resort is superior for it when others have what you are describing?
  1. Elevators? I mean isn't multiple elevator banks pretty much in every resort? Boardwalk as an example has Elevators on both sides of the lobby. Then you have Animal Kingdom with like 40 banks it seems haha.
  2. Not sure how the wings is superior? I understand its nice but superior to what as an example? Kidani has one side near transportation and otherside closer to pool. Same with Boardwalk having areas closer to pool, community hall, walking to Epcot or HS, or boats.
  3. "Backyard" layout again lets look at Boardwalk with well the boardwalk/entertainment or AKV which has a savannah.
  4. Lap pool so this is the first one you brought up that is an actual positive if true, don't swim laps so no clue.
  5. Not being outside would be similar to AKV where everything is covered or indoors.
  6. Entrance? I mean if you are staying at BWV you are not going to for sure go through the lobby. The busses you can cut a couple different ways, the boats the same, or if walk to HS/catch boat at Swolphin you are going to be going in another direction.
  7. Murphy beds? I mean they can add these everywhere when they do a refresh if they wanted.
  8. Storage would be a good point. Although out of your list only the coat closet couldn't be changed with a refresh elsewhere (but don't they already have closests elsewhere too). Beds that you can put luggage under, adding some shelves, or a hook at the front door is a fairly simple update if they find they want to add it elsewhere.
  9. Smart TV apps I would suspect would be added anywhere they replace all the TVs. Casting, built in catalog of movies, and built in MDE are things I would expect anytime they update the TVs at this point.

Maybe I misunderstood your list but you made it seem that these things were design elements that could not or are not replicated elsewhere? The only piece that seems truly independent would be the Lap Pool, coat closet (but don't most rooms have a main closet), and then possibly the elevators piece.

Correct me if I misunderstood something but your list seemed like it was trying to say RIV was superior because Disney now designed all this stuff in to Riveria that other resorts don't have.

Wow. People really see what they want to see. I pointed out some positive points about RIV that might not have been noticed by someone who hadn't spent a few days staying there and trying the facilities. I was careful NOT to use the word "superior" or imply that one resort is superior to another since that implies that we all value the same factors in the same way. Some of those points are ones that I feel are superior to other DVC resorts (the smart TVs, for example); others, like the layout of the resort, wouldn't be apparent unless you were actively using different features of the resort. It was also meant to be a counterpoint to the "lobby is too small" (and other negative) comments - that the way the resort is laid out for flow, the lobby doesn't need to be large or grand, because I think the backyard is intended to be more of a gathering/hanging out place.

Wow. People really see what they want to see. I pointed out some positive points about RIV that might not have been noticed by someone who hadn't spent a few days staying there and trying the facilities. I was careful NOT to use the word "superior" or imply that one resort is superior to another since that implies that we all value the same factors in the same way. Some of those points are ones that I feel are superior to other DVC resorts (the smart TVs, for example); others, like the layout of the resort, wouldn't be apparent unless you were actively using different features of the resort. It was also meant to be a counterpoint to the "lobby is too small" comments - that the way the resort is laid out for flow, the lobby doesn't need to be large or grand, because I think the backyard is intended to be more of a gathering/hanging out place.

"There are some things that I believe are superior, that are design-based rather than just "new materials." Here's just a few off the top of my head (some I've described in other posts): "

This is what you stated.

I agree the Smart TVs and such are superior, they are "new materials" though more so than "design based". Or do you not agree with that?

I refuse to debate you further.

Some aspects I believe are superior that a casual visitor might not notice. I was pointing them out. True some could be done in a room renovation or hard goods refurb, and it sure would be nice to see Murphy beds replace the fold out sofas. But again whether they are all considered “design” features in your mind or not, is a semantic issue. And again, not stating that any one resort is superior to another as we all have our favorites, but pointing out some positive aspects of the resort that surprised me because they aren’t necessarily obvious until you’ve lived in the space for a bit.

Let me clarify one point, I shared personal examples that my staying at RIV is comparable to staying at BWV and it was in response to a post that stated RIV was double the point cost all the time,

Please don’t put words in my mouth that I never said. I have never said point costs are not higher at RIV, but only that if you have to choose between BCV or BWV garden vs. RIV SV, you won’t be breaking the bank on every trip. Anyone forced to stay preferred view all the time will, but since owners have a chance at SV, it changes the picture.

OP, so excited for you and your new purchase. It will give you a lot of years of wonderful trips!
Sandi, the only way to replicate your situation is to do exactly what you did. Sell your current resort to lower the Riivera cost and then look at what your stay options are after the fact. To compare Riviera SV to BWV Garden view requires 1) being a Riviera owner to be able to book a SV and 2) not being a BWV owner forcing a GV booking. In that situation, you're right. It's not a bank breaking situation.

What that situation does do is ignore the fact that you had access to BWV SV. You had the points in your ownership that would've cost you zero dollars more to book a room.

So essentially, your costs are actually MUCH higher now staying at the Riviera than it were if you continued to stay at BWV on your previous contract.

What that statement doesn't take into account are the details of your exact situation. Riviera offered an opportunity for you to share Disney ownership with your kids in a way that will outlive your time at Disney. It doesn't take into consideration that you are staying at a resort that you consider to be much more convenient with your new mobility needs. It doesn't take into account that you consider the move an upgrade in terms of resort facilities. All of those are great reasons to own.

But instead you elected to go the route of comparing rates to justify the additional costs incurred to suggest to anyone coming across the boards that it's not costing you that much more to stay at Riviera than at BWV and that simply is not true.

Again, I have a dozen reasons why I would probably be a very happy owner at Riviera, not least of which is letting go of the notion that the resort is emblematic of the future of Disney's timeshare model and the distrust with Disney that such a business decision engenders. But describing it as a comparable stay at BWV is misguided, if not disingenuous, even in your situation.

Sandi, the only way to replicate your situation is to do exactly what you did. Sell your current resort to lower the Riivera cost and then look at what your stay options are after the fact. To compare Riviera SV to BWV Garden view requires 1) being a Riviera owner to be able to book a SV and 2) not being a BWV owner forcing a GV booking. In that situation, you're right. It's not a bank breaking situation.
I would say though Riviera does provide the unique situation in that a new buyer could purchase a GW in a standard studio and it being advantageous (guarantees that standard room) over owning BWV where a standard studio isn't guaranteed (to mitigate the exact point above which is true). For the first time GW now qualify for incentives so could be a good choice to lower that spread between Riviera and BWV to a manageable level if the purchaser traveled the same week usually. They could try and grab the week themselves and get back the 10% premium (which for some weeks is gone already since they haven't adjusted the GW costs yet) but if unsuccessful they still get the room.

I wonder when we start getting more photos of the resort views which will be better standard at BWV or Riviera. I'm leaning towards Riviera because of the higher floors seeing fireworks and being further up from the noise of the guests arriving. Though this is unknown until we get more reviews. I also wonder what will be preferred Pool/Garden on average at BWV or standard at Riviera. I suppose that depends what the guests wants the chance at seeing. I got the coveted Village Green view the one time I stayed Pool/Garden at BWV so I lean BWV in that comparison but that was after I complained about a room they initially claimed was Pool/Garden that stared at the Skyliner turn station and parking lot (one call got that corrected though I bet they just moved someone else there and shafted them).

What that situation does do is ignore the fact that you had access to BWV SV. You had the points in your ownership that would've cost you zero dollars more to book a room.

So essentially, your costs are actually MUCH higher now staying at the Riviera than it were if you continued to stay at BWV on your previous contract.

What that statement doesn't take into account are the details of your exact situation. Riviera offered an opportunity for you to share Disney ownership with your kids in a way that will outlive your time at Disney. It doesn't take into consideration that you are staying at a resort that you consider to be much more convenient with your new mobility needs. It doesn't take into account that you consider the move an upgrade in terms of resort facilities. All of those are great reasons to own.

But instead you elected to go the route of comparing rates to justify the additional costs incurred to suggest to anyone coming across the boards that it's not costing you that much more to stay at Riviera than at BWV and that simply is not true.

Again, I have a dozen reasons why I would probably be a very happy owner at Riviera, not least of which is letting go of the notion that the resort is emblematic of the future of Disney's timeshare model and the distrust with Disney that such a business decision engenders. But describing it as a comparable stay at BWV is misguided, if not disingenuous, even in your situation.

Which I think was my point. While I do own BWV, I could not get SV rooms for that stay. I was forced to book my BWV at tbe higher rate, So, in the end, owning at BWV still didn’t help

I agree you have to own there to be able to get the chance, which was what that entire conversation was about, someone deciding and being told thst even as an owner, it will always cost way more and I was trying to show that will not be the case, Of course, someone who can book BWV SV rooms will pay less than staying at RIV, but but someone booking OKW will spend less than BCV.

So, a RIV owner can make it work strategically over BWV or BCV. Will it be easy? Probably not. If RIV SV becomes as elusive as BWV SV, then sure, the discussion will change,,,which. Is what I stated.,,but when I bought BWV years ago it was for getting SV And now I have had trouble More often than not.

Problem I have most of the time is when the statements are made that RIV is an absolute more expensive trip. Studios there offer more than studios at BWV/BCV as well, so that never seems to be considered when looking at why they may be more,

Yes, I spent $8k to own Riv, but I got my kids qualified for direct points, and I got 28 years longer to book rooms. Not sure how you can tell me I am spending so much more for my stays when you don’t know what I am spending for each stay. See, it’s those statements that I take issue with.

Of course, it still assumes that staying BWV SV is equivalent to RIV SV. I will save points when I choose to use my RIV points for tower studios for solo stays. Again, won’t cost me more than BWV SV..

I can go on and on. I use my points all over the place and I compare my stays to what I want, not what I could If I chose something else,

Every resort has pros and cons but how one defines those as a pro or con is still completely based in opinion.

Last edited:

Then perhaps create an anti-Riviera thread and use it to discuss all of the reasons buyers would be foolish to purchase there. I would propose that those who spend 5 minutes researching Riviera on the DIS will not read glowing praise in a single post and walk away convinced they need look no further.

I don't understand the incessant desire to poke holes in every buyer's individual decision. Financially, OKW or SSR resale has been the most sensible purchase for the last decade. Thousands of owners who purchased everything from BCV resale to Poly direct to Riviera direct knowingly made concessions along the way.

Every purchase thread doesn't need to morph into a list of points and counterpoints in the interest of allegedly saving others from making a similar "mistake" as the original poster.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter