A Full Go on Riviera Resort

My immediate gut feelings: lobby much more underwhelming than I'd expected. Quite small, almost cramped,...
This could describe any of the DVC resort lobbies. The grand, cavernous lobbies are part of Disney hotels while the DVC lobbies tend to be smaller and quieter. And I expect owners would prefer not to have to pay for maintenance and upkeep of the showplace lobbies found in the main hotels at Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Grand Floridian and Polynesian.

This could describe any of the DVC resort lobbies. The grand, cavernous lobbies are part of Disney hotels while the DVC lobbies tend to be smaller and quieter. And I expect owners would prefer not to have to pay for maintenance and upkeep of the showplace lobbies found in the main hotels at Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Grand Floridian and Polynesian.
I was just about to say the same thing!! We own at BLT and VGF so the lobby was as expected. It certainly has more stuff to do than the BLT lobby.

I was just about to say the same thing!! We own at BLT and VGF so the lobby was as expected. It certainly has more stuff to do than the BLT lobby.

There's a lobby at BLT? Never noticed! :rolleyes1

J/K...I'm fine with small lobbies. Less maintenance and all that. The smaller staff at the BLT lobby has always been super helpful. I feel so lucky to own at 3 great DVC locations.

I agree and when I visited, I guess I didn’t really pay that much attention because I didn’t think it was that small. Then again, I don’t spend too much time in a lobby space, so it wouldn’t be something I would notice too much.

VGF is probably the only lobby I ever sat in while I drank a nice cup of the coffee they offer!

VGF lobby is really nice. Coffee, Tea, Chess and Checkers, nice comfortable seating and it's own Check in! And a close walk to the Hotel lobby with live music! Looking forward to visiting the Riviera resort, it looks beautiful!

Last edited:
The BW lobby is very nice but it does share with a deluxe resort which could be the reason it's so nice. Of course it's not as impressive as GF but still nice. I like the color scheme, the fireplace, the outside porch with the rocking chairs that can be viewed from lobby. The round settee with the carousel that sits in the lobby as you enter the resort is also very nice. This lobby may not be as large as some but still very nice IMHO.

Everyone likes different resorts for different reasons that are important to them and their family.

The issue that we need to be reminded of is that we are doing business with a timeshare company. They make their money selling timeshares, all they really care about is selling timeshares. New resorts will be kept in first class condition during the selling phase, extra cleanings in the common areas, maybe extra flowers around the grounds, other additional extras, all for the show needed to sell units. After the selling phase is over, things will be cut back and the resort will start to go through some changes. I noticed these changes at BLT, VGF, and Kidani, where we own.

The resorts that look worn are worn because DVC Management Company allows them to look that way. IMO it also causes prospective buyers to buy direct at the new resorts where there is money to be made for the timeshare company.

:earsboy: Bill

Looking forward to my stay in a few weeks. There is something to be said about staying in a brandy new place. We purchased BWV in 1997 and BLT pre-opening. The last refurb at BWV was really nice, but I wasn't very pleased with the addition of the fifth sleeping space in the studios. Would have liked to have seen that in the one bedroom instead.

I recently gave away a near-to-Disney timeshare that was new around 1995. The same furniture was in place that whole time. It was a 2 bedroom, assigned the same unit every year. The maintenance/dues was about equal to a 2 bedroom at BWV for the same week, give or take. That timeshare is really worthless on the resale market, but my BWV contract has more than doubled its worth. And you can't come close to comparing location and everything else. I've seen the other side, so maybe I don't get too worked up when something needs freshening up. I mean you can't be replacing furniture and appliances every other year. Can you imagine our dues?

I've been reading reviews about RIV in lots of different forums.....I mean actual reviews from people that have actually stayed there.....not just strolled around the grounds or lobby. The only negatives I've seen are....the skyliner being down (and I am sure that whatever gremlins are running thru it will be taken care of soon) and the long lines at the quick service. Yes buy in costs are high (but we bought in the spring at a lower price). And it is pointy to stay....but I've been doing some comparing using the RAT and the GF has some pointier rooms as does BLT. Granted they are monorail resorts with the MK close by. And the standard view rooms at BLT are less. But I think RIV is going to be very popular due to Hollywood Studios and all the changes and the new and improved Epcot that is coming soon.

We took the skyliner from Epcot to RIV before the resort opened. It was a quick ride and a fun experience. Was very happy to see the way the expanded both the security checkpoint and the turnstiles at International Gateway. The skyliner lets people off little by little, so its good. However, when the boat unloads....well that has always been an issue, but short lived once that crowd gets thru.

I wouldn’t criticise anyone for buying Riviera at all. I don’t like the resale restrictions but as per my other thread I was looking forward to staying there and maybe I could have considered points if it blew me away as the new VGF as some guides had been touting it as.
Having visited, we were very disappointed. If it had been fabulous I’d have said, and I’d have booked it for summer. My wife she kids flatly refuse to stay there. That is a genuine assessment based on my comments on my other thread which I will not repeat here. I also caveat that by saying I haven’t stayed, just spent an hour there, and accept my view could change when I stay- but they lost me in the showroom so to speak so it’s unlikely I will test drive, particularly given the test drive price.
Many resorts are criticised. SSR gets a constant hammering for example.
But some RIV owners seem particularly sensitive about any legitimate criticism of the resort, and that gets knocked back as sour grapes.
On a Facebook page someone posted a video of his Tower Studio saying how great it was. He was overlooking the car park, in a tiny room at the same or more points cost of a Garden/ pool view proper room at Boardwalk. He can’t be surprised when people say they are glad he likes it but it doesn’t look to them that great.
I think there’s currently a mixture of people who genuinely like what they’ve bought, but others are suffering Nelsonian blindness (it’s the shiny new resort, that’ll wear off) or buyers remorse, having bought sight unseen based on the admittedly great room mock ups so they are very defensive about the resort.
I do agree some will criticise it without visiting just out of sour grapes as well, but you’ve got to take that on the chin just as other resort owners have been doing for years.
Point is if you are happy, no need to get upset. There is a DVC for everyone. But I think it wrong to shut down all legitimate criticism of any resort as ‘sour grapes’ or a ‘culture’.

I was nodding in agreement and then you lost me. I do think there is a culture both here and around the country of trying to discount opposing opinions by calling them blind, childish or delusional. That’s not worthy of a debate, doesn’t teach anyone anything and isn’t respectful, IMHO... all things I usually expect to find here, at least from most people.

There are of course legitimate criticisms that can be made of the resort, but it’s your opinion that they are deal breakers, and I’m good with your having those opinions and also with my being neutral toward your feelings about the resort.

Sometimes those criticisms aren’t faults of the resort but rather design choices that I enjoy while others do not. When someone decides that your opinion is not valid because you’re suffering from sour grapes or another’s is not because he or she has buyer’s remorse or Nelsonion Blindness, we’re just not getting anywhere. Wouldn’t it better better to acknowledge we have differing opinions or needs and move on?

And I really just don’t like when someone says something isn’t Disney. To that person, sure, but he or she doesn’t get to decide for me, self-appointed curator of Disney though they may be.

So myself included, I would love to see more agreeing to disagree and less invalidating someone else’s opinion by calling them childish or delusional.

Last edited:
I was nodding in agreement and then you lost me. I do think there is a culture both here and around the country of trying to discount opposing opinions by calling them blind, childish or delusional. That’s not worthy of a debate, doesn’t teach anyone anything and isn’t respectful, IMHO... all things I usually expect to find here, at least from most people.

There are of course legitimate criticisms that can be made of the resort, but it’s your opinion that they are deal breakers, and I’m good with your having those opinions and also with my being neutral toward your feelings about the resort.

Sometimes those criticisms aren’t faults of the resort but rather design choices that I enjoy while others do not. When someone decides that your opinion is not valid because you’re suffering from sour grapes or another’s is not because he or she has buyer’s remorse or Nelsonion Blindness, we’re just not getting anywhere. Wouldn’t it better better to acknowledge we have differing opinions or needs and move on?

And I really just don’t like when someone says something isn’t Disney. To that person, sure, but he or she doesn’t get to decide for me, self-appointed curator of Disney though they may be.

So myself included, I would love to see more agreeing to disagree and less invalidating someone else’s opinion by calling them childish or delusional.

I actually agree with you and maybe didn’t explain myself well. I wasn’t talking about people liking the resort and saying so, my post was about shutting down those who didn’t like it from expressing their opinion.

I also said that many people will be happy with their purchase and there’s a DVC for everyone- heck one of my favourites SSR is heavily criticised on a daily basis on boards, Facebook etc- usually for the reasons I like it.

Point being I respect these other opinions, am very happy where I own (I bought 3 more contracts- I must be) and wouldn’t criticise anyone for expressing such an opinion.

There are bound to be people with buyer’s remorse and / or Nelsonian blindness. Probably more for Riviera than say a Beach Club or Copper Creek, as there are more negatives with the resort looking at it as objectively as possible- not least the high points cost. Also it was bought sight unseen- see what I say on that below. There are also some obvious positives- the rooms almost everyone will agree on, and I’m a huge Skyliner fan, and the walking and running.

I am not saying this means everyone regrets buying it is trying to convince themselves it is a good deal- far from it. But I think it is likely people who are not confident in their own purchase who are likely the ones who try to criticise those who are critical.

I was calling for open debate on the resort without fear of being shot down or criticised, or even upsetting a Riviera owner which I am sure no one wants to do.

I do think people shouldn’t be criticising Riviera or any other resort until they’ve at least visited in person. This isn’t because they are not entitled, but because they are not qualified until they have been to see it. I also don’t think someone should buy a resort until they’ve actually visited or preferably stayed. I’m glad I stayed at Animal Kingdom as I was going to buy but it wasn’t for us- I’d have had buyer’s remorse then.

Riv is somewhat unique in that since SSR there hasn’t been a stand-alone resort built- so any buyer knew what they were getting more at least with how it fitted in the landscape with a Poly, Copper Creek or even a BLT. I had looked at Riviera in the construction phase and it was really difficult to get that view until it opened and I went just before Christmas.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that people keep criticizing the view of CBR from Riviera. It is a beautiful resort which is kept up extremely well. When we went out in the terrace at Topolinos, I remember thinking how nice CBR and the lake looked. I don’t know about the rooms at CBR, as I have never stayed there, but the grounds are very pretty which is what you’re looking at from RIV. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. My opinion is that the view of the lake and CBR is a pretty one.

I find it interesting that people keep criticizing the view of CBR from Riviera. It is a beautiful resort which is kept up extremely well. When we went out in the terrace at Topolinos, I remember thinking how nice CBR and the lake looked. I don’t know about the rooms at CBR, as I have never stayed there, but the grounds are very pretty which is what you’re looking at from RIV. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. My opinion is that the view of the lake and CBR is a pretty one.

While I only had a chance to walk around a bit, I too have seen pictures of views of CBR, and like the view. It makes me forget I’m in the middle of central Florida, and reminds me a little of what Nassau looks like when we dock at port from a cruise.

For someone who never thought it’d be a resort of choice, to now owning there, I think it just goes to show that there really is a DVC resort for all and that not one will suit everyone!

I've got the solution in a nutshell:
1. If you think that Riviera is a great resort, right at Epcot AND Hollywood's back door, with a beautiful panoramic view and worth every bit as much a resale VGF and even more than PVB... Buy it!!

2. If you think that the people in category #1 are starry-eyed and getting a bad deal... Don't criticize them on here. Buy Dis stock.

Win-win for everybody

1. If you think that Riviera is a great resort, right at Epcot AND Hollywood's back door, with a beautiful panoramic view and worth every bit as much a resale VGF and even more than PVB... Buy it!!

2. If you think that the people in category #1 are starry-eyed and getting a bad deal... Don't criticize them on here. Buy Dis stock.

Win-win for everybody

Well that sums it up! Your response is “either love riviera and think it’s the best or shut up and go somewhere else”. I think that’s exactly the problem people are describing.

This is a discussion board. We’re allowed to discuss our opinion of the location and view at Rivera. Hopefully it will help those trying to decide.

Does anyone foresee any problems booking Deluxe Studios in the future at 11 months? We are looking into buying CCV, BLT or RIV. CCV seems like I'm reading some issues there since not many want the cabins since they are a boatload of points. Tower Studio rooms are okay for us now but not once we have kids. Curious, if you book a Tower Studio can you have 2 adults and a crib and roll away bed there?

Win-win for everybody
Well that sums it up! Your response is “either love riviera and think it’s the best or shut up and go somewhere else”. I think that’s exactly the problem people are describing.

This is a discussion board. We’re allowed to discuss our opinion of the location and view at Rivera. Hopefully it will help those trying to decide.

I think there was some humor in #2...

(Luckily we own RIV and Dis stock. We can't lose!! 🤣 )

Does anyone foresee any problems booking Deluxe Studios in the future at 11 months? We are looking into buying CCV, BLT or RIV. CCV seems like I'm reading some issues there since not many want the cabins since they are a boatload of points. Tower Studio rooms are okay for us now but not once we have kids. Curious, if you book a Tower Studio can you have 2 adults and a crib and roll away bed there?

Tower studios will only accommodate 2 adults and a crib. No rollaways. (And afaik, no rollaways in any DVC villas)

Ironically I see the opposite in that post... you don’t have to shut up, just not criticize the people who love it or call them delusional. Say your criticisms of the resort, but say them as your opinion and not facts that others just aren’t savvy enough to see.

Pete has said several times he doesn’t like looking out at CBR because of line of sight theming. While I agree that’s an important aspect of the parks, it has never been from the resorts, IMHO. You can see 3 totally different themes on 7 Seas Lagoon and 2 on Bay Lake. I get Pete’s point though and take no issue with his feeling that way because that’s how HE feels about Disney and isn’t saying people who don’t mind it are blind.

I also think there are plenty of threads discussing the shortcomings of Riviera. And not every positive review needs to be met with those same handful of posters making the same comments about the lobby, theming or view. I don’t think that’s typical of the DIS or helpful to anyone trying to make a decision. And if those people haven’t done more than look at photos, anyone can do that for themselves, no outside opinion necessary.

Since this seems like the right thread for it, I just wanted to share our experience on why we bought into Riviera in hopes that it is helpful to others or adds to the discussion. We are brand new to DVC and this is our first contract. We have been frequent DCL cruisers for many years, but also started staying at Disney World before cruises the last couple years. We also much prefer staying in deluxe resorts, and enjoy our time just bumming around in them. So DVC seemed like it might be something valuable to us. We are in our early 40s and do not (and never will) have kids. Though we could see bringing family or friends from time to time. We stayed at CBR in December, but spent a considerable amount of time checking out as much of Riviera as we could. We also did the DVC tour to see all the rooms. We ended up buying 100 points direct at Riviera, to kind of dip our toes into DVC.

Anyways, with that being said, the reasons why we went with Riviera:
  • Epcot and Hollywood Studios are our two favorite parks, followed by AK. MK just really isn't our thing. Again, no kids. I'm sure my niece will love MK but that didn't play much into the decision.
  • I HATE the buses. Passionately. My super power at Disney World is to always just miss the bus I need. The Skyliner was a game changer for me when we stayed at CBR in December. I was such a happier person never having to step foot on a bus (of course, we were lucky that the Skyliner ran without incident for us--hopefully stoppage issues will improve over time).
  • The Riviera rooms are gorgeous. I'm not even sure this is completely opinion/subjective--they just really are lovely by most measures.
  • Completely subjective, but the style of the resort is definitely our bag. The whites and molding and marble and art inside, and the beautiful grounds outside. We love it. Understated Disney style compared to other resorts, but very classy and comfortable to us.
  • Definitely not for everybody, but we love the Tower Studios after seeing them in person. Yes, the main living space is small. But for just the two of us it's a great fit. And the bathroom is amazing, and surprisingly large considering. I'm sure one day we'll stay in a 1BR and experience what we are missing. But for now, this is a good room for us with an affordable point cost (more on that below)
  • I'm an avid runner. Having a home resort with quick access to Epcot for marathon weekend is huge. Also, there is an awesome running path around the lake there which greatly enhances my enjoyment. I hate having nowhere to run, like at AKV.
  • We love Food and Wine
  • Topolino's is amazing. The bar up there is gorgeous and well stocked, and the outdoor patio space is really nice when the weather is good. We loved watching the Epcot fireworks from up there with a nice whiskey in hand. We had a lot of fun just hanging out there.
  • The library/lounge space behind the lobby is great. We took our drinks from the cafe over there and played card games.
  • We are both vegans, and there were excellent options for us at all the eating locations. Additionally, CBR has several outstanding vegan selections in walking distance as well. We see being close to CBR as a pro, not a con.
That being said, I do recognize some shortcomings and have some concerns even after signing on the dotted line.
  • We made our point purchase decision primarily around the cost structure of Tower Studios. But I am concerned that they are going to become like booking an AKV Value (ie painful and luck required). Especially around runDisney and Food & Wine. We are super flexible on our dates generally (other than if we are doing runDisney), but I will be dismayed if I can rarely get a tower at the 11 month mark. I get that peak times are hard for all studios and that's cool. I just won't be happy if its a chore or ordeal to get one all the time. I can tell you right now as we are in the 11 month for next December that they are going fast. Even at 8AM a day may already be unavailable. But again, peak time I guess, and I also think there's a novelty factor to the rooms themselves. Some people will like them like us, but I also think a lot of people are going to say "never again" due to the size. And at least at this point, SV Studios are in even higher demand.
  • Wonder if I should have gotten more points--like enough to ensure availability in the form of PV Studios should Towers become impossible to book at 11 months for times we want. But that would have meant 50-70% more points which was more than we wanted to spend right now. Worst case, if we can't get a tower for any of the times that we want, then we can bank and do a PV the following year though I guess.
  • Resale restrictions...meh wasn't really a factor. If it impacts resale, then hopefully we can add on via resale in the future for cheap. If it doesn't impact resale much, then that's a win too. I'm sure everyone says they don't plan to sell when they first buy, but we don't plan to sell and I consider the full initial point purchase to be a sunk cost like most every timeshare.
  • Point chart. This one seems to be the controversial one. You can get more room for less points at other DVC resorts--absolute fact. I think coming in as a newbie DVC owner provides a certain perspective (or maybe a willful ignorance, in my case at least) on this aspect. I can look at points charts all day, but it's abstract. I've never experienced how far my 100 points go elsewhere or most of the other rooms/resorts, so I don't know what I'm missing. I think Disney counts on this. I think the Riviera point chart is a much harder pill to swallow for folks accustomed to and expecting to see their points go further. In my case, seeing the tower studio in person was crucial. Even though the same points could get me a bigger room elsewhere, we liked Riviera, the tower, and its point chart, which all was doable for a buy-in we were comfortable with. But I'm equally sure there will be new prospective buyers who just can't get down with the idea of spending more for less at Riviera vs. resale at other DVC resorts, and that's cool too. Ultimately, I think you have to really, really love RIV first and foremost. Then decide if you can get past knowing that others are able to stretch their points further than you can, and if the benefits of the Riviera to you are worth that trade-off.
  • Why not just stay in CBR instead of buying RIV since you can easily walk to RIV for its dining and views, and make use of the Skyliner? That's a hypothetical we talked about. It came down to us loving spending time in deluxe resorts, and not having any love for the CBR rooms themselves (though I have to say after the recent renovation, the CBR lobby and pool are really outstanding now for a moderate). Assuming we live long enough, over time it should also end up cheaper to stay at the RIV for 50 years via DVC than CBR or other moderates booked direct.
  • Why not buy resale instead? Well for one, we really see Riviera as the place we want to vacation at for the next many years and there just aren't many resale options. We also bought minimum for direct benefits, and over time they may be of value (especially the APs). I think 7 month booking for RIV SV and Tower are going to be a ****show. Heck I think 11 months is gonna be unpleasant but we'll see I guess. We haven't stayed at many other DVC resorts yet, so again maybe willful ignorance of not knowing what we are missing. While I loved AKV, the bus thing and lack of running options made me look elsewhere.
  • I love the pool bar, but I don't like that it's not right by the pool. :P
Anyways, I think that's it! Hope this adds to the discussion and is useful to someone.

edit-typos

Last edited:
I think there was some humor in #2...

(Luckily we own RIV and Dis stock. We can't lose!! 🤣 )

Tower studios will only accommodate 2 adults and a crib. No rollaways. (And afaik, no rollaways in any DVC villas)
Ahh good to know. We are buying in before we have kids so its nice to know and we can always add more points down the road to get a larger deluxe studio also longer.

Since this seems like the right thread for it, I just wanted to share our experience on why we bought into Riviera in hopes that it is helpful to others or adds to the discussion. We are brand new to DVC and this is our first contract. We have been frequent DCL cruisers for many years, but also started staying at Disney World before cruises the last couple years. We also much prefer staying in deluxe resorts, and enjoy our time just bumming around in them. So DVC seemed like it might be something valuable to us. We are in our early 40s and do not (and never will) have kids. Though we could see bringing family or friends from time to time. We stayed at CBR in December, but spent a considerable amount of time checking out as much of Riviera as we could. We also did the DVC tour to see all the rooms. We ended up buying 100 points direct at Riviera, to kind of dip our toes into DVC.

Anyways, with that being said, the reasons why we went with Riviera:
  • Epcot and Hollywood Studios are our two favorite parks, followed by AK. MK just really isn't our thing. Again, no kids. I'm sure my niece will love MK but that didn't play much into the decision.
  • I HATE the buses. Passionately. My super power at Disney World is to always just miss the bus I need. The Skyliner was a game changer for me when we stayed at CBR in December. I was such a happier person never having to step foot on a bus (of course, we were lucky that the Skyliner ran without incident for us--hopefully stoppage issues will improve over time).
  • The Riviera rooms are gorgeous. I'm not even sure this is completely opinion/subjective--they just really are lovely by most measures.
  • Completely subjective, but the style of the resort is definitely our bag. The whites and molding and marble and art inside, and the beautiful grounds outside. We love it. Understated Disney style compared to other resorts, but very classy and comfortable to us.
  • Definitely not for everybody, but we love the Tower Studios after seeing them in person. Yes, the main living space is small. But for just the two of us it's a great fit. And the bathroom is amazing, and surprisingly large considering. I'm sure one day we'll stay in a 1BR and experience what we are missing. But for now, this is a good room for us with an affordable point cost (more on that below)
  • I'm an avid runner. Having a home resort with quick access to Epcot for marathon weekend is huge. Also, there is an awesome running path around the lake there which greatly enhances my enjoyment. I hate having nowhere to run, like at AKV.
  • We love Food and Wine
  • Topolino's is amazing. The bar up there is gorgeous and well stocked, and the outdoor patio space is really nice when the weather is good. We loved watching the Epcot fireworks from up there with a nice whiskey in hand. We had a lot of fun just hanging out there.
  • The library/lounge space behind the lobby is great. We took our drinks from the cafe over there and played card games.
  • We are both vegans, and there were excellent options for us at all the eating locations. Additionally, CBR has several outstanding vegan selections in walking distance as well. We see being close to CBR as a pro, not a con.
That being said, I do recognize some shortcomings and have some concerns even after signing on the dotted line.
  • We made our point purchase decision primarily around the cost structure of Tower Studios. But I am concerned that they are going to become like booking an AKV Value (ie painful and luck required). Especially around runDisney and Food & Wine. We are super flexible on our dates generally (other than if we are doing runDisney), but I will be dismayed if I can rarely get a tower at the 11 month mark. I get that peak times are hard for all studios and that's cool. I just won't be happy if its a chore or ordeal to get one all the time. I can tell you right now as we are in the 11 month for next December that they are going fast. Even at 8AM a day may already be unavailable. But again, peak time I guess, and I also think there's a novelty factor to the rooms themselves. Some people will like them like us, but I also think a lot of people are going to say "never again" due to the size. And at least at this point, SV Studios are in even higher demand.
  • Wonder if I should have gotten more points--like enough to ensure availability in the form of PV Studios should Towers become impossible to book at 11 months for times we want. But that would have meant 50-70% more points which was more than we wanted to spend right now. Worst case, if we can't get a tower for any of the times that we want, then we can bank and do a PV the following year though I guess.
  • Resale restrictions...meh wasn't really a factor. If it impacts resale, then hopefully we can add on via resale in the future for cheap. If it doesn't impact resale much, then that's a win too. I'm sure everyone says they don't plan to sell when they first buy, but we don't plan to sell and I consider the full initial point purchase to be a sunk cost like most every timeshare.
  • Point chart. This one seems to be the controversial one. You can get more room for less points at other DVC resorts--absolute fact. I think coming in as a newbie DVC owner provides a certain perspective (or maybe a willful ignorance, in my case at least) on this aspect. I can look at points charts all day, but it's abstract. I've never experienced how far my 100 points go elsewhere or most of the other rooms/resorts, so I don't know what I'm missing. I think Disney counts on this. I think the Riviera point chart is a much harder pill to swallow for folks accustomed to and expecting to see their points go further. In my case, seeing the tower studio in person was crucial. Even though the same points could get me a bigger room elsewhere, we liked Riviera, the tower, and its point chart, which all was doable for a buy-in we were comfortable with. But I'm equally sure there will be new prospective buyers who just can't get down with the idea of spending more for less at Riviera vs. resale at other DVC resorts, and that's cool too. Ultimately, I think you have to really, really love RIV first and foremost. Then decide if you can get past knowing that others are able to stretch their points further than you can, and if the benefits of the Riviera to you are worth that trade-off.
  • Why not just stay in CBR instead of buying RIV since you can easily walk to RIV for its dining and views, and make use of the Skyliner? That's a hypothetical we talked about. It came down to us loving spending time in deluxe resorts, and not having any love for the CBR rooms themselves (though I have to say after the recent renovation, the CBR lobby and pool are really outstanding now for a moderate). Assuming we live long enough, over time it should also end up cheaper to stay at the RIV for 50 years via DVC than CBR or other moderates booked direct.
  • Why not buy resale instead? Well for one, we really see Riviera as the place we want to vacation at for the next many years and there just aren't many resale options. We also bought minimum for direct benefits, and over time they may be of value (especially the APs). I think 7 month booking for RIV SV and Tower are going to be a ****show. Heck I think 11 months is gonna be unpleasant but we'll see I guess. We haven't stayed at many other DVC resorts yet, so again maybe willful ignorance of not knowing what we are missing. While I loved AKV, the bus thing and lack of running options made me look elsewhere.
  • I love the pool bar, but I don't like that it's not right by the pool. :P
Anyways, I think that's it! Hope this adds to the discussion and is useful to someone.

edit-typos

A very well measured post, it looks like Riviera was spot on for you and some very good points.
It’s early days but it seems standard view studios and not tower rooms will be the more difficult to get, the tower studios I could book no problem, albeit resort is only partly sold so that may change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter