A Ghostly, Incredible, Totally Wicked Couple of Runs(Plus DATW with DISsers) Marathon Weekend Report

AND AWAY WE GO!!!
latest

After a day at work that I thought would never end, we finally were able to get a short night of sleep before heading off for a very early morning flight and headed down to Disney. Woohoo!! We needed to kick the weekend off right during the ride. Delta's breakfast of champions!

Fortunately, all our flights went smoothly and we were very soon on the ground in Orlando and headed for this sight.

We checked in for DME and headed for this line...

HUH? Didn't you say you were staying at Beach Club, Gisele? Why, yes, I did! BUT, we had a plan to upgrade our tickets to Annual Passes party:at Shades of Green and our plan was to ride DME there, take care of our tickets and then take an Expo bus to the Expo before riding back to Beach Club. I wasn't sure how that would go, but luckily DME was great about letting us do it and after a fairly short wait we were on the bus! Hey, girl, HEY!!!

https://flic.kr/p/2ec3d9d

We were able to take care of things at Shades very quickly and head for the expo. The weather was absolutely gorgeous. Mid to upper 70s and we were just soaking in that sun on our walk over from the Poly. There's nothing like that feeling when you first arrive at Disney and let the atmosphere begin to just soak in. We were also having a lot of fun with the chatty character text group full of other Dissers who were there for the weekend. It was so fun to hear and see what others were up to during the weekend.

When we finished up there was an expo bus sitting there waiting to leave, so our timing was perfect and shortly after leaving we were walking into Wide World of Sports.

https://flic.kr/p/2ec3da5

We couldn't wait to earn this beauty.

Now, last year, the expo lines were CRAZY!! This year, it was fantastic. They moved some things around and we were able to pick up our bibs with no lines and headed over to the expo to get our race shirts. Crowds were so much better than last year.

We knew from the number of bibs listed that attendance for the races was way down this year, so I think the new arrangement at WWoS along with fewer participants really helped a lot. We saw Jeff Galloway but didn't stop to talk with him since we usually get to see him each year here locally when he comes to kick off our Galloway training group. After getting our race shirts...I didn't take pictures of them but I was pretty "meh" about them this year, we headed over to see the other official race merchandise. What a difference this year. Last year we didn't even bother to go look as the lines were over an hour JUST to get in the building to see it. This year, we waltzed right in. They had a lot of plaques with Walt quotes on the walls leading you in which I thought was a nice touch.

And just like that, we were in...

While there were a lot of people in there, it wasn't crowded at all and it was easy to shop the merchandise. On the way over to our first stop, we took a look at the course maps that were posted.

https://flic.kr/p/2egGwBz

and then were off to look at the Dooney & Bourke table. I'd spent some time before we left drooling over the tote bag and debating if I really wanted to spend the money for it. Well, one look at the bag and then hearing that my newly minted AP would get me 20% off the price was all it took. I'm so predictable. HA! Plus I had an incentive to track discounts we got with the AP to be sure I could use that to show Chris how our AP was basically paying for itself!! ;) We looked around some more, but didn't see much else as far as clothes that we wanted. Chris picked up the Mickey marathon figure (I didn't get a picture) as he gets one of those each year. I always buy a snow globe each year we go as well and was excited they had a specific marathon one this year. But, when I saw it, I just didn't like it that much, so I passed on it. I did get a marathon weekend magnet (which won't stick to my car >:( ) and we stopped off for some refreshment.

Look at my beautiful tote - not to mention the pretzel bites, cheese and beer!!

Hello, you two, up for a little run?

And, we were out. A very painless experience compared to last year! This time we were headed to the right resort

Welcome to the AP club!

I think we all knew you would end up with that purse. Definitely meh on the shirts as well. The expo was for sure better than last year.

Welcome to the AP club!

I think we all knew you would end up with that purse. Definitely meh on the shirts as well. The expo was for sure better than last year.

I was loving the AP club while we were there. They sure know how to suck you in though because I've been thinking about what other trips I should make to Disney to help justify it more. HA! And, yeah, I was buying that purse discount or no. :D

Following along!

I love you coining the "Mouse Challenge"!

That bag is very very cute! If I was a runner, I would totally consider it!

It was another Disser who originally called it that although now I can't remember who it was, but I loved it. I think runDisney should make it a thing with a Challenge medal that has both Mickey and Minnie on it! Welcome to the report!

Glad to hear that you guys had some a painless expo experience! I thought the setup was great - made it easy to get in an out in a decent amount of time.
I love that you bought a Dooney! I didn't even think about it. I really like the bag but I have zero use for it. Hopefully you'll get lots of opportunity to show yours off!

I’m here! Looking forward to your report - great start so far! I feel like we must have been at the expo around the same time :)

I forgot you did Tink in 2017 too (nice shirt!)

@jennamfeo - do you need a photo pass friend? Let me know?

Yes!!

Glad to hear that you guys had some a painless expo experience! I thought the setup was great - made it easy to get in an out in a decent amount of time.
I love that you bought a Dooney! I didn't even think about it. I really like the bag but I have zero use for it. Hopefully you'll get lots of opportunity to show yours off!

The expo was great this time. I like totes for traveling for my personal item on planes. Bigger than I would typically use for a purse but great for travel.

The tote is adorable!

Thank you. It's was the combination of Mickey and all the park icons I couldn't resist.

Following!!

Yay! Welcome.

I’m here! Looking forward to your report - great start so far! I feel like we must have been at the expo around the same time :)

I forgot you did Tink in 2017 too (nice shirt!)

@jennamfeo - do you need a photo pass friend? Let me know?

Tink in 2017 was such a great race. I really hope they bring the DL races back. I'd love to run another one there. Glad you are here.

love the tote as well!

Thank you! It makes me happy when I look at it!

Following!

I think I saw you and/or your husband at some point, but I wish we had been formally introduced! I guess I'll just have to get down there for another marathon weekend. And I agree, the expo was a very easy and painless experience. I opted out of the merchandise area in favor of getting over to AK, but I kind of wish I had checked it out.

Excited to follow along. So glad it wasn’t so cold for this year, although a few things I’ve read it was maybe too hot! I’m heading down with my sister and sister in law soon to do Princess. Really looking forward to it.

I'm here! I was impressed with the whole bib/shirt pickup. I didn't have any of the other experiences from previous years but I've read about them. I wasn't sure what to expect going for my first time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter