A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks k&a&csmom and jcjen519! That was my hunch, too, but wanted viewpoints from actual experiences. This will be our third trip to the world and our first stay at Grand. We previously stayed at Poly and CSR. Originally we were going to do Poly again, but with all the construction talk, we have decided to give Grand a try. We have visited the Grand many times for dining, and I just love the music in the lobby and the ambiance of the resort. So excited about this visit coming up in January!

Where do we watch the fireworks from the grand. Last year we stayed poly concierge and watched the movie/water parade/fireworks beside the pool on nights we were not in the parks. Is there a comparable place at GF.? Should we just walk Down to the poly ? Really nervous that GF won't compare to poly!

Where do we watch the fireworks from the grand. Last year we stayed poly concierge and watched the movie/water parade/fireworks beside the pool on nights we were not in the parks. Is there a comparable place at GF.? Should we just walk Down to the poly ? Really nervous that GF won't compare to poly!

watch them from the marina, from right outside gasparilla's, or from the dock. :thumbsup2

It's official, we have switched from CR to the Grand for December. I am really excited about staying at a 'new to us' resort.

I am now on a mission to learn as much as possible about the Grand before our stay and look forward to getting to know all of you experts.

Congrats on the switch. You are going to love the GF :goodvibes.

Have you not yet stayed CL at the Poly? I realized after reading your post, I did not list it in our "CL list" in a previous post - you will love Poly CL, the lounge view is awesome!

We have stayed at the Poly, but not CL. I am very excited to try it as I have read about that awesome view from the lounge and can't wait to see it in person :yay:.

My Me was 4:55 am!!!! :crazy2:

:faint:

Congrats on the switch. You are going to love the GF :goodvibes.

We have stayed at the Poly, but not CL. I am very excited to try it as I have read about that awesome view from the lounge and can't wait to see it in person :yay:.

:faint:

you are going to love poly cl! amazing! :thumbsup2

watch them from the marina, from right outside gasparilla's, or from the dock. :thumbsup2

good to know. i was kind of wondering this as well. cant really picture the layout in my mind. we are staying in sl, i know the marina borders one side of that building. just curious because i didn't think so, but is it possible to see from sl balconies?

Heading out to the GF in a little under 2 weeks. My sister and I are staying at the TPV but my parents are staying in a Lagoon View outer building.

I've requested the Boca Chica for them. Do all the lagoon views of the Boca Chica have a partial MK view?

Has anyone ever used the concierge itinerary planner to make the 180 day ADRs? What's the advantage over just making them myself online?

:yay:

As bethclayton posted, the best places for the fireworks are the marina landing in front of Gasparilla's and the boat dock. Keep in mind, you cannot see the Electrical Water Pageant from the marina, you'll have to watch it from the boat dock, the beach or in front of Boca.

Don't worry, I think you will love the GF as much as the Poly! Different, but equally as wonderful.:goodvibes

good to know. i was kind of wondering this as well. cant really picture the layout in my mind. we are staying in sl, i know the marina borders one side of that building. just curious because i didn't think so, but is it possible to see from sl balconies?

There is a large map in the first post of this thread - you can see the layout of the resort.:thumbsup2

Heading out to the GF in a little under 2 weeks. My sister and I are staying at the TPV but my parents are staying in a Lagoon View outer building.

I've requested the Boca Chica for them. Do all the lagoon views of the Boca Chica have a partial MK view?

Congrats on your upcoming trip - so soon!:cool1::cool1:

Not all lagoon views in Boca have a partial MK view, but I think many of them do. Most will be blocked by trees, but some may be blocked by the shape of the building.

Has anyone ever used the concierge itinerary planner to make the 180 day ADRs? What's the advantage over just making them myself online?

Lots of DISers use the IPO for their dining reservations. Now, with online booking, the main advantage is simply convenience, you don't have to time it perfectly.

Congrats on your upcoming trip - so soon!:cool1::cool1:

Not all lagoon views in Boca have a partial MK view, but I think many of them do. Most will be blocked by trees, but some may be blocked by the shape of the building.

Thanks!

We're there for 3 days/2 nights with one night being in MK for the fireworks. My thoughts are that the other night we'd watch the Water Parade and fireworks from their room balcony. Does the Boca-Chica have specific upgrades for MK views that still overlook the lagoon or can I ask for a partial MK view?

Alternatively we could just walk out onto the grass in front of the lagoon and watch the fireworks that way...Do they pipe the Wishes music onto the pier out by Narcoossee's?

you are going to love poly cl! amazing! :thumbsup2

Thanks.....I am really looking forward to it :goodvibes.

Heading out to the GF in a little under 2 weeks.

Have a great trip :yay:.

It's just personal preference, IMO. I have never used IPO on any of our CL stays as I enjoy all of the planning and love making my own ADRs :).

Don't worry, I think you will love the GF as much as the Poly! Different, but equally as wonderful.:goodvibes

I second this :thumbsup2.

We are heading to the GF RPC in a few weeks and it seems that GF is excluded from the September fastpass testing while all of the deluxe resorts except WL are getting to test... Everyone is booking up there FP+ choices and we got nothing. Feeling bummed and that we are going to feel the negative effects on our trip :(

For some reason the GF is usually the last stop on the ME Monorail resort drop off..at least thats been our experience on the last several trips... I think total time to resort is about an hour or so...

You're welcome! :goodvibes I meant to get over to the beach area to check on that..but just never did...

SueM I do think ( at least I hope so!!) there will be a BB for late Jan/early Feb..and other dates too in 2014 too..as there has been in the past..I just asked hoping that maybe they were already available...just not yet in the printed literature...but so far only FD..which does not interest our family personally...I much prefer a RO discount...

I does kind of look that way! :scared1: LOL..Lets hope there is some kind of construction covering on them for now..

Trishadono Great pics! :thumbsup2

davale4 Seems that we might have been at the GF at the same time...wonder if we crossed paths in the lounge???

k&a&c's mom How is that new thread coming along..??? :badpc: LOL..I kow what you mean about looking thru the pictures...Makes me wish I was back at the GF too... :goodvibes

MickeyNut How is the December planning going??? Any resort changes before or after the cruise...;) Just wondering!!! :goodvibes
We prefer RO discounts too. We're here till 9/1 so I'll check next week, I seem to remember those BBs usually come out closer to the end of August.

I am trying to decide if we should go to Blizzard Beach while staying at GF or Beach Club. Does anyone know the bus route between GF and Blizzard Beach?

Don't know if you have an answer, but busses to BB usually stop at AK too. I can't remember which is first!

Checking into GF in 3 hrs! Just wish I could get a couple more hrs sleep :faint:

Sorry I missed seeing you! Have a great trip! I have 41/2 months to my next GF stay:goodvibes

The tea room was empty Thursday, you may be able to get a stand by spot if interested.

I love the smell of the GF rooms:cloud9:

Let us know what building and floor you got etc!

Trish

:banana: you are there!!!!:banana:

We are heading to the GF RPC in a few weeks and it seems that GF is excluded from the September fastpass testing while all of the deluxe resorts except WL are getting to test... Everyone is booking up there FP+ choices and we got nothing. Feeling bummed and that we are going to feel the negative effects on our trip :(

What a shame. I woner if that means it will test there in October. We are going the 25 th and hope it will!

Checking into GF in 3 hrs! Just wish I could get a couple more hrs sleep :faint:

Have a great time! I will be checking in 11 months from now and always think about my return to the GF. My name is Gina and I am addicted to the Grand Floridian!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter