• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A horrible rumor to spread

I'm not really sure what it is that has everyone so turned off now. So many fans were really excited about this and it seems to be pretty much what I expected it to be. It's a theme-park experience, not an actual spaceship! It's overpriced, but it was always going to be that. I still think it looks cool, but I don't know that I'd spend the money on it.

From the footage i have seen so far, it looks cheap and plastic and not a premium experience worth the thousands . I am a HUGE SW fan and for the price they are charging, you should be wowed from the second you see anything on the ship imo. Husband is thinking of booking it for my 50th in 2024. If it doesn't give me a great first impression when it opens, it needs to be much cheaper for me to be convinced to stay. At this point i would rather spend the money towards a deluxe hotel stay. I want to be wrong but i have a bad feeling about this. There has already been a number of cancelations and that doesn't bode well. The lightsaber you see being advertised, you won't be able to use which is a huge bummer for SW fans and a lot of us are quite annoyed about that, so that's a strike against the experience. The lightsaber training should of had a training ball instead of a beam of light from the wall. It just seems lazy.

I'm not really sure what it is that has everyone so turned off now. So many fans were really excited about this and it seems to be pretty much what I expected it to be. It's a theme-park experience, not an actual spaceship! It's overpriced, but it was always going to be that. I still think it looks cool, but I don't know that I'd spend the money on it.
I think Guests are expecting the rich texture we see in all the Star Wars films. Based on what we've seen so far, it appears to be a step down from Galaxy's Edge, an experience with a fraction of the price tag.

Space 220 is an expensive "one and done" experience.

At current pricing, there's a risk that the Galactic Starcruiser won't even be that.

I'm not a SW fan, but I see a direct parallel to Universal Orlando's Harry Potter initiative. It was ONLY because J Rowling retained 100% creative approval rights and inserted herself hands on at every stage did it turn out as well as it did - stunningly detail rich and evocative. From what I heard, the UO team pushed for quite a few cost savings and shortcuts and she wouldn't allow it. If WDW had someone as passionately involved - and this is the key - with 100% creative approval rights to stand up to the pencil pushers - I think you'd have seen a very different, higher value experience that would have absolutely blown people away. Not just at the resort, but in the entire SW land.

This is DISNEYFIED Star Wars which is why it's such a colossal mess.

I listened to Jackie talk about it on the podcast recently and her POV is positive because she's looking at it FROM THAT PERSPECTIVE.

There are different levels of Star Wars fans. We are NOT one size fits all.

And Disney has shown that they do NOT understand the core fanbase.

I am ONLY speaking to what I see in the parks as I have fewer issues with the TV/Movies and Rogue One is now my 2nd favorite of the entire saga.

The Star Wars Universe is not a choice between Frosty Blue Milk and Frosty Green Milk. It's not Kat Saka's fancy popcorn and a Ronto Wrap.

It's Darth Vader wiping out an entire ship of people in search of stolen plans. It's Han shooting Greedo first. It's the HERO of Rogue One killing a man who is ON HIS SIDE to prevent his capture by the Empire and protect the Rebellion. It's dirty. Gritty. And messy.

So, you may get Disney-style SW fans who can reconcile both POVs and still enjoy it. But many are looking at that and saying, "No thanks."

I began a rewatch of Deep Space 9 the other day and the "bridge" for the Starcruiser looks like a set from that show in the 90s. The "lightsaber training" looks less interesting than the Padawan thing they used to do with the kids FOR FREE at HS. Twi'lek women don't cover up that much. They look like the dancer Jabba had chained to his throne.

There is no way I would spend the money for this.

Im confused as to what the horrible rumor here is (and why we’re spreading it after saying it’s a horrible rumor to spread?). There’s def been a backlash to the promotions and they’ve taken the vids down. There’s a bit of speculation from there and it’s probably nothing but who knows, it doesn’t happen if Disney keeps the vids up.

Im confused as to what the horrible rumor here is (and why we’re spreading it after saying it’s a horrible rumor to spread?). There’s def been a backlash to the promotions and they’ve taken the vids down. There’s a bit of speculation from there and it’s probably nothing but who knows, it doesn’t happen if Disney keeps the vids up.
That's not the only thing that happened. The original press release for the Christmas parade there was supposed to be a sneak peek for the Starcruiser. For some reason it was never shown and never mentioned during the parade. I honestly believe Disney is not impressed with the amount of criticism.

I hope it's not true, too, but speaking as an original SW fan who saw the first one thirteen times in theaters in 1977, I have zero interest in paying a ton of money to spend two days in a hotel pretending to be in outer space when I know dang well I'm in a building in Florida. And I can't think of any way they could change my mind no matter how fancy the experience is.

The price tag is insane, for that sort of money I could stay at Grand Floridian and go to the parks.

Not sure why they didn't just make it a Star Wars themed hotel and drop all the role playing and such.

I hope it's not true, too, but speaking as an original SW fan who saw the first one thirteen times in theaters in 1977, I have zero interest in paying a ton of money to spend two days in a hotel pretending to be in outer space when I know dang well I'm in a building in Florida. And I can't think of any way they could change my mind no matter how fancy the experience is.

The price tag is insane, for that sort of money I could stay at Grand Floridian and go to the parks.

Not sure why they didn't just make it a Star Wars themed hotel and drop all the role playing and such.

That I can agree with. I think the "immersive" thing has been taken too far in some of the new lands. They don't have to sell it quite so hard, though I get that a lot of fans like that. I still think the Starcruiser looks pretty much as I expected it to, and it's cool, but I would rather be able to just stay there like it's a regular hotel and not have the several day-long storyline.

Last edited:
Well, I can say that I have very much been a core Star Wars fan for my entire life and I have found the Disney produced Star Wars stuff to be great. It's not perfect, but it never was either.
I love the newer SW films too, especially R1. I love GE but i do see where there could be improvements. I can not see many casual SW fans paying thousands to stay for 2 nights, it will be the hardcore fans that will pay the money to stay. If first impressions aren't good, it's dead in the water & they won't get repeat custom. We expect extremely high standards for anything SW related. Disney once had very high standards, but they have slipped in recent years. They really can't afford to cost cut here and for the ship to look cheap. I really, really hope it's amazing. I really do but have little faith at the moment with all the cost cutting going on.

I love the newer SW films too, especially R1. I love GE but i do see where there could be improvements. I can not see many casual SW fans paying thousands to stay for 2 nights, it will be the hardcore fans that will pay the money to stay. If first impressions aren't good, it's dead in the water & they won't get repeat custom. We expect extremely high standards for anything SW related. Disney once had very high standards, but they have slipped in recent years. They really can't afford to cost cut here and for the ship to look cheap. I really, really hope it's amazing. I really do but have little faith at the moment with all the cost cutting going on.

See, I don't think it looks "cheap" from what I've seen, but it is limited by actual technology. I think the issue may e that a lot of the hard-core Star Wars fans are not necessarily theme park fans, and they may not understand what to expect. I mean, Rise of the Resistance is AMAZING as a theme park attraction and for the most part looks really good - but it doesn't quite look "real," and if that's the standard, they won't ever meet that.

People were looking for a little more immersion and detail for the price. Promo videos ALWAYS look better than the real thing and those promo were a bit of a letdown(those empty bland hallways where a big standout for me). It's true we wont know for real until in opens. But that's why people are down on it now anyway.

Last edited:
See, I don't think it looks "cheap" from what I've seen, but it is limited by actual technology. I think the issue may e that a lot of the hard-core Star Wars fans are not necessarily theme park fans, and they may not understand what to expect. I mean, Rise of the Resistance is AMAZING as a theme park attraction and for the most part looks really good - but it doesn't quite look "real," and if that's the standard, they won't ever meet that.
I think the inside of the ship (the walls, consoles) looks plastic and not very star wars. What the hell is that game you play on the bridge screen? Looks like a cheap 90's video game. The screen used for the cargo bay in rotr looks better. I'm not spending a ton of money to play a video game in a hotel. I can do that at home. The details in rotr are amazing and they haven't skimped on detail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter