A hospital now wants new parents….

This explains the 0.018%.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12476264/

Anne Fausto-Sterling s suggestion that the prevalence of intersex might be as high as 1.7% has attracted wide attention in both the scholarly press and the popular media. Many reviewers are not aware that this figure includes conditions which most clinicians do not recognize as intersex, such as Klinefelter syndrome, Turner syndrome, and late-onset adrenal hyperplasia. If the term intersex is to retain any meaning, the term should be restricted to those conditions in which chromosomal sex is inconsistent with phenotypic sex, or in which the phenotype is not classifiable as either male or female. Applying this more precise definition, the true prevalence of intersex is seen to be about 0.018%, almost 100 times lower than Fausto-Sterling s estimate of 1.7%.

Precise estimates are hard when definitions don’t all match in a not yet fully understood area of biology. Numbers may be 0.018% in the restricted definition of intersex today, and a much higher number for not typical physiology. 99.892% of people biologically typical regarding sex/gender could be what some people take from looking at the .018% intersex number.

This conversation about the form discussed the value of having these entries. Does the value go beyond the restricted definition of intersexed individuals and their care providers. It’s hard to say with certainty where these numbers fall.

to identify their newborn’s sexual orientation. My friend’s job requires each patient to complete a form about their own Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity, but now it also requires the birth certificate clerk to have new parents complete a form asking for the newborn’s sex assigned at birth (I understand that), gender identity (I can see that for babies that are hemaphrodites) and sexual orientation 😳.

New parents are supposed to say whether their one day old baby is straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian or pansexual 🤷🏻‍♀️

How exactly does one do that?
This is totally stupid.

Simple… the sexual orientation of every newborn, toddler, & prepubescent child is ASEXUAL.
That's not true at all. I knew exactly what I was attracted to when I was a young child. From speaking to other people, that's actually pretty common. I wasn't actually having sex as a young child, of course, but that doesn't mean that I didn't have a sexual orientation. I absolutely did.

But, of course, this whole topic is about nothing. It's just a form that everyone fills out. Like every other form ever, you skip the boxes that aren't applicable to you. Unless you want to get clicks on the Internet and make angry people angrier about nothing, I suppose.

A baby needs to be treated like a baby. No matter what color, sex, religion, etc. As they are very helpless when they come into the world. Baby is just a baby and most of all, human beings. Who deserve love and respect.

We don't really use the word "hermaphrodite" anymore. And not all intersex conditions are even apparent at birth; only those which result in ambiguous genitalia.
Oh, I’m so sorry. I really wasn’t aware of the appropriate terminology. Thank you for politely pointing this out 😊

to identify their newborn’s sexual orientation. My friend’s job requires each patient to complete a form about their own Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity, but now it also requires the birth certificate clerk to have new parents complete a form asking for the newborn’s sex assigned at birth (I understand that), gender identity (I can see that for babies that are intersex), and sexual orientation 😳.

New parents are supposed to say whether their one day old baby is straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian or pansexual 🤷🏻‍♀️

How exactly does one do that?
My bet is that your friend misunderstood something, or the clerk did, or the clerk is a jerk, etc. Could you identify the hospital, or at least the state? Stating "your friend" without evidence makes it a bit hard to verify what really is going on.
The idiocracy of a small portion of the overall population is increasingly bordering on the ridiculous. How does a small group of misguided people have so much political clout to force these self serving policies on everyone. Most of the population of this country is able to determine their sexuality and gender without having to determine alternatives. As activist Matt Walsh has defined, a male is a human with an XY chromosone, and a female is a human with an XX chromosone. Biologically, those are the only two choices. As for identifying gender, does a newborn have the ability to choose which gender they wish to identify as?
People born with a single X (Turner Syndrome), XXY (Klinefelter Syndrome), XO/XY Mosaicism and a handful of other sex chromosome disorders would beg to differ. Idiocracy? Ridiculous?

My bet is that your friend misunderstood something, or the clerk did, or the clerk is a jerk, etc. Could you identify the hospital, or at least the state? Stating "your friend" without evidence makes it a bit hard to verify what really is going on.
I think all of your answers are later in the thread.

Another thing happening here with healthcare in NJ is healthcare groups with the ability to share charts and more efficient collaboration among care providers of different expertise. My family has experienced both Atlantic Healthcare and Hackensack Meridian systems. Hopefully the days of filling out a huge stack of forms at each individual doctor are numbered for those utilizing the system.

As someone in the sandwich generation I have filled out my share of forms over the years between DH and I, our kids, and our parents. I did not resent having to fill out that none of us are deaf or the dozens of other things that did not apply to an overwhelming majority of the public. I feel no differently here.

The very title of this thread if shared in some circles is the start of a conspiracy theory.

You take it from conversation of 'can you believe what my friend said' and it morphs into something with memes and shared on some social networks. It gets circulated and grows.

The way you state a question or statement matters.

Instead of friend asking at work appropriately why the form was done this way for newborns a whole thread is developed.

As I and others later posted, the hospital has reasons for asking so many questions to improve medical treatment for all people.

Why must everything be assumed nefarious and with an agenda?

Why would your friend even bring it up as conversation?

If she's confused about the form, why doesn't she ask at work?
I’m going to assume that she thought that it was odd and wanted to discuss it with her friend 🤷🏻‍♀️ Is it so weird for people to discuss their jobs with friends or family?

And apparently she did ask her boss at work and was answered with “All NJ hospitals are required to request this information per state law”.

Plenty of standardized forms with irrelevant questions on them. For example, you have to fill in the "occupation" blank on a child's passport (enter "child" if they are under 16). Our 6 month old's passport also has a "height" that is already incorrect. :lmao:
Besides the whole mechanics of the actual form, I’m wondering why the hospital (or state of NJ, or Vital Statistics) decided to even ask about a newborn’s sexual orientation. These forms are fairly new (apparently in the past six months). Why wouldn’t there be a specific one for newborns?
Removing the newborn portion, why is anyone's sexual orientation relevant to medical treatment? I don't see a reason for that question to be on the form.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter