A little scared.....

I don't think the decision to stay at a specific category of resort has much to do with walking distances. EVERYTHING at Disney involves a LOT of walking regardless of where you are staying. Even if you take the monorail going to EPCOT, you will still walk down a long/slanted ramp after exiting from the Polynesian/Grand Floridian/Contemporary monorail, walk underneath the monorail and then back up a long/slanted ramp to board the Epcot monorail. When you arrive at Epcot, you again walk down a long/slanted ramp to get to the park entrance. Depending on how many people in your family are going and the age ranges, you should probably have a discussion about overall planning/logistics/budget & expectations, since everyone may not want to do the same things every day.

I would try to talk them into POFQ or WL if they can swing it. WL has a boat to MK and tends to be cheaper than the other deluxes you mentioned. POFQ is much cheaper, but it’s also very compact. Good luck!

Renting from an individual is almost just like renting from David's.

The mechanics of this might be somewhat similar, but David's is an established, reputable business. I would not be comfortable renting from an individual stranger. If you have a trusted friend or family member from whom you can rent DVC points, great. If not, I'd feel safer renting through David's.

I would not rent DVC in this situation. You are dealing with squirrelly family and a DVC rental is final. You cannot cancel or change once booked.

I agree. No matter if the dates seem set in stone once the family settles them, there are always factors that can complicate a trip, and the DVC rental.is a done deal. I would skip it, especially if you are helping someone else do the planning.

I also think that before any of you settle on a resort, you need to have a budget in place, and start there. It is never fun to get your hopes up for a specific resort and then make a change based on budget. Start with the budget, adn then look at all the costs that need to be absorbed, lodging, Food, park tickets, spending, etc.

I love POFQ for a variety of reason, but size and location are among them. It is lovely, reasonably priced, and is compact.

If the grands wnat a deluxe at a moderate price, that is probably becuase their budget will not allow for the cost of a deluxe. Start with the moderates and cost them out on the website. Add park tickets and a dining plan on every calculation. you may not want a plan, but that should give you a good idea of the cost of meals, so plan or no plan, you will have a reasonable amount budgeted for food. Include scooter rental. No matter where you stay, there is a lot of walking in WDW. Granddad will most likely need help. Add money in for gratuities. This is one area that I think folks underbudget, and then they get blindsided.

I hope your family has a wonderful trip. Happy plannign!

I can tell you that depending on where your room is located, the walks are just as long at a deluxe as anywhere else. Also; taking the monorail from GF or Poly to/from Epcot requires a good amount of walking as well. The 2 options is either to walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail or walk to the monorail pickup at the resort, get off at TTC and then walk over to the Epcot monorail. Good luck and I hope everything works out:)

AGREE! A resort where I did WAY more walking than I ever expected was AKL (both Kidani and Jambo).

Having been with a senior with mobility issues (3x) and myself with a mobility issue once, I can't emphasize enough that they REALLY need to rent ECVs for both grandparents.

_I_ would go with POFQ and deal with the buses - truly it will be the best transportation option.

NO way would I rent DVC anything without firm dates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter