• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A MAGICal trip to Key West and the Western Caribbean March 29/15

We have the same problem.

Key West - I have been here before, but it has been years. DH and DSs have never been so we are thinking of buying tickets on our own for the Trolley Tour. We love doing this in St. Augustine and thought it would be a nice way to get an overview of the island. Won't book it with DCL as we like to have the on/off feature.

Grand Cayman - We were here years ago also, but I'm sure it has changed. Can't decide if we should just explore on our own, book the Boatswain Adventure Marine Park, or the Grand Cayman Island Tour.

Cozumel - Again visited a long time ago. My DS is very interested in World History so we were thinking of a tour that includes ruins. Any suggestions?

We are not even sure we want to book something for every port as we also love being on the ship. Not sure 2 sea days are enough!

I am so with you when it comes to Key West. Even though we will just walk to the places we want to revisit (we have last been to Key West in 2013) your best bet is the hop on hop off trolley. There is also a little train, but the trolley is actually better.
We are happy we stay at Key West until the evening, gives us time to have a drink or two around Key West and a Key Lime Pie on a stick. ;)

Grand Cayman and Cozumel - we have been to both in 2013 as well and have done Disney Tours at both places. Grand Cayman we went to Hell and the Turtle Farm - was nice, but not something we need to repeat - so we have now booked a private "food tasting" tour.
Cozumel we again went with Disney to the Mayan Ruins, Tequila Factory and cultural centre. Again, it was nice, but not something we want to repeat - there were gazillions of mosquitos in August. We ended with using up two bottles of "Off". :rotfl2: So, this year, surprise, surprise, we booked another food tour. Found both on Trip Advisor and they get good ratings.

The Magic itself, we are looking forward to with very mixed feelings. We sailed on her for a 12 night Med cruise and were less than impressed. Service was way below par, the room smelled and a leaking AC. Add to that that they ran out of nearly everything even before we left our first port and you know why for the first time I was happy to get off a Disney ship. We are giving her another chance with this cruise and hope for things to be different in the US.

The Magic itself, we are looking forward to with very mixed feelings. We sailed on her for a 12 night Med cruise and were less than impressed. Service was way below par, the room smelled and a leaking AC. Add to that that they ran out of nearly everything even before we left our first port and you know why for the first time I was happy to get off a Disney ship. We are giving her another chance with this cruise and hope for things to be different in the US.

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. I would be so disappointed! We have sailed on the Wonder twice, the Dream once, and the Magic once and I have to say our best cruise was on the Magic. Although, I have loved them all and always been very happy with the service and accommodations. I 'm hoping you have a much better experience this time around.pixiedust: Actually, I'm hoping we all do! ::yes::

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. I would be so disappointed! We have sailed on the Wonder twice, the Dream once, and the Magic once and I have to say our best cruise was on the Magic. Although, I have loved them all and always been very happy with the service and accommodations. I 'm hoping you have a much better experience this time around.pixiedust: Actually, I'm hoping we all do! ::yes::

This was our 14th cruise. Our first two have been on the Wonder and we just LOVED it. Then we did 11 more on the Dream and Fantasy. Many of them were back to backs. And you always had to kind of kick me off the ship, even after our back to backs on the Fantasy. I had always wanted to sail on the Magic and with her just being out of drydock we thought this would be the perfect time to just stay in Europe for a summer and cruise on the Magic.
I guess, would it have been our first cruise we would never have booked a second one. And since things went pearshaped from the beginning we were more than aware of things that were just not right. There was the balcony door that you had to keep hooked shut as the door handle would not close it. There was more rust on the veranda than I have seen on all other 13 cruises. They cut down on so many things that we had been used to and when the "cake of the day" turned out to be "yesterday's main dining room dessert" we just knew that this was not what we had expected.
I had already booked this cruise and we have always wanted to sail into Key West, so I kept it, but as I said before, very mixed feelings about it.
We have changed staterooms so at least I hope this one will not be as smelly as the last one. :thumbsup2

Hi Mudd, Mom, Annadoodle
I just found out I'm in 2092, hopefully my daughter Danielle can meet some of your daughters. Looking forward to it.
Right down the hall from you Mudd! 1st Disney cruise also! Danielle is 8
Looking forward to meeting all of you!
I believe I see a fun group of girls developing....

Just a quick thank you to Karin! Your knowledge and help have eased my anxiety.

I see you are a teacher, I have been wondering what grade you teach? I teach 4th grade.

Just a quick thank you to Karin! Your knowledge and help have eased my anxiety.

I see you are a teacher, I have been wondering what grade you teach? I teach 4th grade.

Thank you! :hug:
Let me know if you have any more questions. I guess there will be some coming up when we get real close to our cruise. :wave2:

My pupils are between 10 and 14 years old. No idea to what grade that converts in the US. ;)

Thank you! :hug:
Let me know if you have any more questions. I guess there will be some coming up when we get real close to our cruise. :wave2:

My pupils are between 10 and 14 years old. No idea to what grade that converts in the US. ;)
That figures a little older than my sweet students (most are 9 turning 10). I assumed you were in the US (no idea why?). Where are you all traveling from?

I am thinking of joining you all on this cruise. I am hesitant because it will be just me and my 6 yr old. I've never cruised alone on any cruise and this is a 7 nighter. I would prefer a shorter one on the dream, but believe it or not, my 6 yr old really wants to go on the magic because of the Avengers academy. Not sure what to do and I know I need to book soon because of spring break being right around the corner.
Has anyone ever cruised solo before?
Also, is the FE closed for this cruise?

I am thinking of joining you all on this cruise. I am hesitant because it will be just me and my 6 yr old. I've never cruised alone on any cruise and this is a 7 nighter. I would prefer a shorter one on the dream, but believe it or not, my 6 yr old really wants to go on the magic because of the Avengers academy. Not sure what to do and I know I need to book soon because of spring break being right around the corner.

:welcome: I hope you decide to join us all. Fun bunch here! ;)

Can't help with the solo trip as we always travel as a childless couple and I have to tell you that yes, the FE is already closed. I will be keeping a late comer list if anyone is interesting but at the moment you would be the only one on it.

I'm going solo with my 8 year old DD. have done it before on other cruise lines. Not a problem for me, but I think it depends on the person. I enjoy socializing, but can sit at a pool or on a beach & read a book just as easily. You'll probably meet a few friendly people, at least at your dining table, if not elsewhere & hang out with them at times. I'm actually hoping my DD meets a few nice girls & enjoys the kids' clubs with them. It's better for her & will give me some time just to sit & chill. I also asked if I could possibly sit with others that have similar age girls. Don't know if that request will be honored, but it would be nice.
Good luck!

The FE is closed. The updated list is in the first post - the decklist (with marked staterooms on the decks) will take a few more days. Once that is done I will let you know and repost here.

Is it still possible to get on the latex omer list? The flu hit our house this weekend and we missed the deadline. We are certainly looking forward to this cruise.

We have booked the Cozumel Bar Hop for the four of us. We have done this before, and had a great time. You go to four bars on the other side of the island (all on a beautiful and distinct beach). You spend about 45 minutes at each beach. There are absolutely no crowds, nor vendors hawking their wares. At each bar you are given a small sample of their house special drink. You are free to order additional beverages or food at your own expense. My wife is a non drinker, and loves this tour because of the beaches and the tour guide.

We decided on the 3-night Dream Cruise. My older kids are cruised out, crazy I know..:crazy: so I'm going to take my 6 year old on the Dream and then take the teens to Vegas for the rest of the week.
Everyone have a BLAST!!

My DD 17 and I will be going to Sting Ray City to do a Scuba dive instead of a snorkle.. As Disney does not offer a Scuba of Sting Ray City we will be going with Cayman Turtle Divers if anyone else interested.

See you all i a few weeks, Yay!

Is it still possible to get on the latex omer list? The flu hit our house this weekend and we missed the deadline. We are certainly looking forward to this cruise.

I guess you want to go on the late comer list. ;)
Once you give me all your family's details I can start a late comer list. I hope that you are aware that a late comer list is just that, a list for those who sign up late, so at the moment you would be the only one on that list. From experience - there are always quite a few families who sign up late, so you should be in luck. That list will close on March 10.

We have booked the Cozumel Bar Hop for the four of us. We have done this before, and had a great time. You go to four bars on the other side of the island (all on a beautiful and distinct beach). You spend about 45 minutes at each beach. There are absolutely no crowds, nor vendors hawking their wares. At each bar you are given a small sample of their house special drink. You are free to order additional beverages or food at your own expense. My wife is a non drinker, and loves this tour because of the beaches and the tour guide.

Sounds like a great tour! :thumbsup2

We decided on the 3-night Dream Cruise. My older kids are cruised out, crazy I know..:crazy: so I'm going to take my 6 year old on the Dream and then take the teens to Vegas for the rest of the week.
Everyone have a BLAST!!

No problem! You will enjoy your 3 day and your trip to Vegas! :wave2:

My DD 17 and I will be going to Sting Ray City to do a Scuba dive instead of a snorkle.. As Disney does not offer a Scuba of Sting Ray City we will be going with Cayman Turtle Divers if anyone else interested.

See you all i a few weeks, Yay!

Thanks for posting this. I am sure it will be interesting for others - Tom and I are not really interested in scuba diving or such.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter