A May 2010 PTR: I Got A Job....Let's Go See Mickey!*Update 4/15!!

Mommy2LittleVols

DIS Veteran
It's that time again - time to start planning a trip to the World! What's that you say? I never finished my Sept. '09 PTR? And I still haven't started on my TR for that trip either? :rolleyes1 I'll get to it, I promise. But in the meantime...let's start planning our May '10 trip! :cheer2: (If you're just joining us, there are installment links in the second post. :))

First things first. For those who haven't joined us before, let me introduce the cast of characters.

ME (JULIA):
IMG_3314copy.jpg

I've pretty much been in love with all things Disney for my entire life. I've known all the words to "Once Upon A Dream" since I was 3. I've been known to weep during Disney commercials. And during every song on "Beauty and the Beast." And most of the ones on "The Little Mermaid." And...well, you get the picture. I'm a certified (or certifiable) Disney freak. :upsidedow

DH (DARREN):
DSCN5615.jpg

He secretly loves Disney, but likes to act like he doesn't so as not to lose his man card with his friends. If I am a Disney freak, this man is a Tennessee Vols freak. He bleeds orange and white 24/7/365. He's still not totally on board for this trip, but not to worry. He will be. :lmao:

DS (DAKODA):
DSCN5806-2bw.jpg
DSCN6070.jpg
DSCN5492.jpg

This little man is the reason for the trip. He will be turning 3 years old while we are there! :bday: He is well on his way to becoming the next Disney freak in the family. He loves Playhouse Disney, especially MMC, Oso, and the Imagination Movers. He is also starting to appreciate Disney movies. His current favorite is Aladdin. We have seen it approximately 4,531,321 times. Just a rough estimate there. ;) I guess I should also mention that Dakoda has PDD-NOS, which is an Autism Spectrum Disorder. It affects him in several ways, but we have seen huge improvements since we started with early intervention services.

DD (SARAH KATE):
KittyCat1.jpg
DSCN6100.jpg
IMG_3327copy.jpg

Last, but certainly not least, we have our little princess. She will celebrate her 1st birthday on 2/17/10. She has the entire family wrapped around her little finger, and she knows it. She likes to dance to the songs on Playhouse Disney and play her Princess piano. She loves her stuffed Minnie Mouse, her baby Belle doll, and everything PINK! princess:

Pretty much as soon as we landed in Orlando last September, I looked at DH and said, "You know we have to do this every year now, right?"

This was his reaction --> :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Then he looked in my eyes and realized that I was dead serious. And his reaction was more like this --> :faint:

I am one of the lucky few. Thanks to my hubby's awesome job, I'm able to stay home with our kids. We have a great life - nice house, nice vehicles, a little bit of money in the bank (including college funds for the kids ;)). But we're young - still only 3 years out of college. And we would like to build a bigger house sometime in the not-so-distant future. So, understandably, going to Disney World every year is not very high on my husband's list of priorities.

But he told me that if I could find a way to earn the money, he would be more than happy to go to Disney World every year. So I considered going back to work.....but I didn't really want to put my kids in daycare full-time just so that we could see Mickey every year. (No offense to anyone whose kids are in daycare! :goodvibes) And then I thought about just going back part-time.....but I didn't want to give up all my free time, especially around the holidays and during the summer. I also considered selling on etsy.....but past experience has shown me that I tend to put more time and effort into those projects than I get compensated for. So, for a while, I gave up on my dream.

But it was always there, in the back of my mind. Everytime I would start to think I was okay with not going this year, I would see a Disney commercial...or get a PIN code in the mail or email...or log on to the DIS and read PTR's and TR's (okay, so that one was my fault :rotfl:).

So I kept thinking about it. :scratchin And then, about a week ago, I had an idea. :idea: Tax season is coming up, I said to myself. And H&R Block is always advertising for seasonal help. I could work there! It's perfect - the job will only last until April, so I will have the summer and holidays off; I can work in the evenings and on the weekends, so either DH or I will always be home with the kids. So I applied. And today...............

I GOT THE JOB!! :dance3:

And of course, as soon as I found out, I started planning. It's what Obsessive Trip Planners do.

Awesome about the job! Congrats! :thumbsup2

I feel your pain with wanting those fabulous vacays and also wanting to be at home with the kids! I'm a SAHM too- actually a homeschooling mom. I used to teach public school and would use my extra duty money to go on vacation every year- I LOVE to travel! In fact traveling is one of the few things I miss about working. The perfect storm this year has helped us swing a trip to the World so I'm jumping in with both feet. I'm glad you and I both found a way to get our vacay. :cool1:

Can't wait to hear your plans. :goodvibes

Yeah for going back to Disney and Woot for landing a PT job!

I'm in the same boat.....once the kids are in school I'll be able to work more and then we can vacation more!

why hello! congrats on the job!:thumbsup2

Thanks! :goodvibes

Awesome about the job! Congrats! :thumbsup2

I feel your pain with wanting those fabulous vacays and also wanting to be at home with the kids! I'm a SAHM too- actually a homeschooling mom. I used to teach public school and would use my extra duty money to go on vacation every year- I LOVE to travel! In fact traveling is one of the few things I miss about working. The perfect storm this year has helped us swing a trip to the World so I'm jumping in with both feet. I'm glad you and I both found a way to get our vacay. :cool1:

Can't wait to hear your plans. :goodvibes

Thanks! :) I am the same way about traveling. Sometimes I think that it would be nice if DH had a job that took us all over the world....but then I think of how much I hate moving, and I quickly change my mind. :rotfl: I'm glad that things worked out for you to get your vacay this year, too!

I was going to post an update this morning, but ran out of time. Gotta get the kiddos ready and out the door. I'll be back later, though!

First Things First: ADR's!!!

I may not know for sure what our dates are yet (except that we will be there for DS's bday). I may not know where I want to stay (value or moderate?). But by George, I know where I want to eat! :rotfl: Thank goodness for online dining reservations and a 180 day window!!!

As soon as I got home from my job interview the other day, I hopped on the computer and started making our dining reservations. I knew that we had to have breakfast with Mickey and friends on DS's birthday, so that one was first. I tried for a 7:30 reservation at Chef Mickey's on 5/30. Score! :thumbsup2

Next, I knew that we wanted to eat at The Crystal Palace before park opening. We had a great experience there last time, and I love seeing Main Street and the Castle before the crowds set in. So I pulled up the park hours for the week and checked the UG crowd calendar, and decided that we will either visit MK on Wed. 5/26 or Fri. 5/28. So I made reservations at CP for both days at 8:10. (Don't worry, I'll cancel the one I decide not to use. ;))

The last one I needed to secure was Tusker House. After checking the park hours and consulting UG, I settled on either Tues. 5/25 or Thurs. 5/27 for our AK day. I was able to get a ressie for 8:05 on 5/25 and 8:10 on 5/27.

You may notice that these are all character breakfasts. DS tends to get cranky as the day goes on (don't we all? :rolleyes1), so sit-down meals later in the day are generally not a great idea for us. As for the character part, I figure if he does have a meltdown, he's sure to not be the only kid in there having one, right? :thumbsup2

Depending on how long we decide to stay, I may add a couple more TS meals, but for now, these are the only ones I'm worrying about. I can't wait until DD is old enough for Princess meals.....

Next up: Help Me Choose A Resort

It's good to have priorities! :rotfl: We are all about the character meals as well- we have four planned for our trip (and two of those are breakfast, lol).

It's good to have priorities! :rotfl: We are all about the character meals as well- we have four planned for our trip (and two of those are breakfast, lol).

Character meals are so much fun! Although I think at this point I enjoy them more than the kids do. :rolleyes1

Wow, I feel like you are living my life. I love Disney, my husband is obsessed with the Vols and is recruiting my children since birth (hence the reason for my name). My youngest is 22 months and says "tessee" if he sees anything Vols related. My husband has season tickets to both basketball and football. I just went to WDW for the first time in Dec '09 and fell in love also. I already booked a BB for next December while I was there, but decided to plan a surprise trip for my boys' birthdays (both in February) for May of this year. We are going the week before you!! It is so hilarious that our lives are pretty parallel. I made shirts for the boys and me for our last trip and the only thing my husband would wear was a Mickey head with the UT vols logo inside. Can't wait to hear more about your plans!!

Wow, I feel like you are living my life. I love Disney, my husband is obsessed with the Vols and is recruiting my children since birth (hence the reason for my name). My youngest is 22 months and says "tessee" if he sees anything Vols related. My husband has season tickets to both basketball and football. I just went to WDW for the first time in Dec '09 and fell in love also. I already booked a BB for next December while I was there, but decided to plan a surprise trip for my boys' birthdays (both in February) for May of this year. We are going the week before you!! It is so hilarious that our lives are pretty parallel. I made shirts for the boys and me for our last trip and the only thing my husband would wear was a Mickey head with the UT vols logo inside. Can't wait to hear more about your plans!!

Hi Cara! The similarities are crazy! Too funny!! My kids have both been brainwashed already, too. We used to get season tickets before we had kids. Now we just try to make it to a few games a season! :laughing: I am so jealous of your December trip(s)! I am dying to see the World all decked out for the holidays! Maybe next year....:rolleyes1 That is a great idea for the Mickey head with the UT logo! I may have to steal it. ;) Do you have a TR or PTR going?

Okay, I know that I said that this post would be all about resorts, but...I lied. :teeth:

DH is off work today due to the 1/2 inch of snow we got yesterday (yes, you read that right, I said 1/2 inch...we live in the mountains ;)), and I actually got him to sit down and talk Disney with me for a few minutes this morning! :woohoo:

First, we settled on our dates: May 26 - May 31, 2010

We both thought that 7 days was a little long for us with the kids last time, so we decided on 5.

Then he told me that he really enjoyed being on the dining plan last time because he liked having a sit-down meal every day. So, DDP it is!

So now I need to add a couple more ADR's to my list, which is where you guys come in! :goodvibes Your mission, should you choose to accept it:

Sell me on your favorite table service or signature dining experience at Walt Disney World!

Next up: Help me choose a resort! (I promise ;))

I say that we "have tickets" but really it is my husband going with one of his brothers most of the time. That's okay with me, I go to the ones I really want to go to and then spend time with the boys the rest of the time. I do not have a PTR or TR yet. I am contemplating starting one. I think it is funny that you already have your ADRs too. The minute I started thinking about going, I booked CP, 'Ohana dinner and breakfast and Chef Mickey dinner. We loved all of them last time except we skipped our CP breakfast so I am doing it this year before the park opens. I am amazed that so much is still available. Hope that means it will not be too crowded. Can't wait till you tell us about the next your resort choice.

I say that we "have tickets" but really it is my husband going with one of his brothers most of the time. That's okay with me, I go to the ones I really want to go to and then spend time with the boys the rest of the time. I do not have a PTR or TR yet. I am contemplating starting one. I think it is funny that you already have your ADRs too. The minute I started thinking about going, I booked CP, 'Ohana dinner and breakfast and Chef Mickey dinner. We loved all of them last time except we skipped our CP breakfast so I am doing it this year before the park opens. I am amazed that so much is still available. Hope that means it will not be too crowded. Can't wait till you tell us about the next your resort choice.

I have a feeling that is how it will go when (if) we start getting season tix again. I love going to any basketball games, but only really get into the SEC football games. So I will probably stay home with the kids for the rest. You should definitely do a PTR and a TR! I'll be your first reader. popcorn:: Funny that you should mention 'Ohana because that is one place that we didn't eat at last time that I really wanted to. I know if I want to book it, I better do it now or else it will fill up the closer it gets to trip time. Did your boys enjoy it?

Okay I'm definitely on board. :) I LOVE all things Disney. And I've been six times and still can't get enough. Every time I see pictures I get all teary-eyed because I love it SO much. I'm not an obsessive planner ;) Well I don't know the jury is still out on that one. Still, I LOVE Disneyworld and always will.

Okay I'm definitely on board. :) I LOVE all things Disney. And I've been six times and still can't get enough. Every time I see pictures I get all teary-eyed because I love it SO much. I'm not an obsessive planner ;) Well I don't know the jury is still out on that one. Still, I LOVE Disneyworld and always will.

Welcome!! Thanks for joining in the fun! I don't think it is possible to get "enough" of Disney World. :goodvibes I always say if you're not an obsessive planner to begin with, spend enough time on the DIS and you will become one! :lmao:

Hey there!:wave: I think I subbed to your TR today, too! You might get tired of seeing me. :goodvibes

It sounds like all 3 of us have a lot in common! My DH grew up in Knoxville, and I grew up about an hour and a half away. I have always been a huge UT fan, but he felt like UT stuff was shoved down his throat growing up, so he became a Penn State fan. I showed him the error of his ways, though, and now we are proud season ticket holders! He loves them as much as I do now. I think it helps that we don't live in Knoxville anymore, so he's not as surrounded by it as he used to be.

We have a 2 year old DD and a 5 month old DD, and we're bringing them up right:

IMG_2480.jpg

I know my youngest looks a little odd in this pic, but she was only a month old and I couldn't get her situated right. Every picture I took that day makes her look like blob!

Anyway, enough about me! I just wanted to let you know that I'm along for the planning! We are going in December, so I'm trying to soak up as many TRs and PTRs as I can!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter