A Mini Reservations Rant

cruising spud

DIS Veteran
A note-we are Disney veterans.

So, today I call Disney reservations to book a few rooms for a January, family trip. I start by saying, "I want a room only reservation." The woman I spoke to was very nice, BUT she pushed (in a thousand different sneaky ways) to get me to buy a package. She would NOT let it go. The average person who had never booked a Disney reservation, or who wasn't carefully listening, would have ended up with a package and not even known it.

The ways she tried, that to me, were especially sneaky, were-"Would I like some luggage tags?" Well, is that a package?

"Would I like to pay only a $200 deposit per room?" Well, is that a package?

I am not blaming the representative, I am sure she was doing what Disney told her to, but please.

And, I was on the phone with her for 47 minutes. Any other place I book a room, I would be done in five minutes.

Okay, I'm done. Thank you.

So, today I call Disney reservations to book a few rooms for a January, family trip. I start by saying, "I want a room only reservation." The woman I spoke to was very nice, BUT she pushed (in a thousand different sneaky ways) to get me to buy a package. She would NOT let it go. The average person who had never booked a Disney reservation, or who wasn't carefully listening, would have ended up with a package and not even known it.

The ways she tried, that to me, were especially sneaky, were-"Would I like some luggage tags?" Well, is that a package?

I am not blaming the representative, I am sure she was doing what Disney told her to, but please.

And, I was on the phone with her for 47 minutes. Any other place I book a room, I would be done in five minutes.

Email a dreams agent next time and they'll book exactly what you want.

Scary isn’t it. A newcomer would not get that at all. Thx for the reminder to be careful.

Did she have an Australian accent?

I can't recall what the woman's name was but I've been calling to try to switch my bounce back offer resort and this woman was so rude and so snarky I gave her low ratings on the survey the interaction was THAT bad.

She started trying to get me to add a dining plan.
I politely declined but then she started stating all the reasons I should get it.
I explained I've gotten it many times but I feel that its lost its value. She acted like I don't know a good value.
I've never had someone so nasty.

Edit I do think I know what her name is because I called again at some point after that conversation and I heard her voice and believe she said her name was Zoey. I ended up hanging up because I thought no way was I going to speak to her again.

Last edited:

Your new golden rule of phone calls: HUCA. Hang Up Call Again. As soon as that rep said the first sneaky thing- time to HUCA.

Yes, some of their phone reps employ sleazy tactics. Years ago I had one push me hard to cancel my 3rd party res and book through her instead, lied through her teeth about what would happen if I kept the booking. I had just called to make a room request which should have been answered "you need to talk to your booking company" instead they saw a chance to steal a 3rd party's sale. My Disney knowledge was practically nothing at the time- but I knew enough about the industry to suspect I was being taken for a ride and needed to hang up. Every company has bad apples.

Your new golden rule of phone calls: HUCA. Hang Up Call Again. As soon as that rep said the first sneaky thing- time to HUCA.

And be mentally prepared to hang up. I used to say, "I've got to go! My cat is throwing up!" and then hang up.

He did throw up a lot.

But I haven't used that since he passed away.

Now I generally go with, "I'm sorry, I have a bad connection" and then hang up.

I have booked previous Disney reservations where the representative has tried to push me towards a package, but when she said, "Disney likes to give away free things, would you like some free luggage tags and," (she mentioned something else-can't remember what), she didn't say this would land me into a package. I thought that was above and beyond trickery.

Edit I do think I know what her name is because I called again at some point after that conversation and I heard her voice and believe she said her name was Zoey. I ended up hanging up because I thought no way was I going to speak to her again.
No, her name wasn't Zoey.

This happened to me last week. it was exhausting. This guy seemed new and he was trying to get me to book a package, get a dining plan, etc. Just wouldn't stop. I ended up booking something because I had been on the phone with him for so long, my mind was bent. Then I immediately called a new CM and cancelled it. I was so aggravated and felt bad at the same time. I should have just said my dog was throwing up. btw it was a BB call. Those seem to take FOR. EVER.

I didn't do the review because I didn't want to give him bad numbers. Maybe some people like his style.

And in the meantime they are asking you stuff like, 'what is your favorite park?' 'what do you plan on doing in the parks?' I tell them now that I don't like Disney chitchat, nothing personal. :smickey:

Last edited:
I usually do that in everyday life, but when you're calling Disney, that automated phone menu at the beginning is pure he44. They NEVER understand my name spelling. Now I just say it real fast until they turn me over to the live person.

So once I get through, I try to make it work.

We noticed this when booking the bounceback offer too. In fact, my sister inadvertently booked packages for our bounceback stays even though she specifically told the CM that she wanted to book a room-only reservation. She had to call back and have everything switched to room-only.

OP, next time you might want to book online. There it's completely clear what kind of reservation you're booking. I deal with the phone CMs only when I'm forced to--like booking bounceback or adding someone to a reservation.

Just book the room online next time

Now I just say it real fast until they turn me over to the live person.
Hmm. So if a caller says their name too fast, they get turned over to a live person? Interesting, since the goal is to get a live person.

I believe their point is to wear you down and confuse you. I, too, got questions like- "Why did you pick the hotel you picked?" "What is your occasion for visiting?" You have to get snarky in order to get the rep to just book the room, book the room, book the room!!

I believe their point is to wear you down and confuse you. I, too, got questions like- "Why did you pick the hotel you picked?" "What is your occasion for visiting?" You have to get snarky in order to get the rep to just book the room, book the room, book the room!!
I asked them recently why they ask all of these questions. She said she is trying to fill time while her computer loads. I asked, 'why does it take so long to book a BB?' She said it is a different system and they have to wait for it to load and it takes longer than other types of reservations.

I somewhat believe them, but I said I'd rather just have silence. :cutie:

I also don't see the point of telling a random booker about my hopes, dreams, and special life moments. pirate: I'm a mean Diser.

I had a really s easy interaction when I called to request the room I booked online could be rebooked as an accessible room if any where available. The agent told me he noted we had a room only reservation (well yes, because it was an AP discount) and wanted to know if we wanted to switch to a package. I asked him why would I want that? My tickets (3rd party) were paid for and I have an AP. He said it wouldn’t do anything other than send me luggage tags. Yeaaahhhh, riiight! I told him no and that I’d like to keep my reservation room only and to just switch to the ac essible room.

And be mentally prepared to hang up. I used to say, "I've got to go! My cat is throwing up!" and then hang up.

He did throw up a lot.

But I haven't used that since he passed away.

Now I generally go with, "I'm sorry, I have a bad connection" and then hang up.

You're nicer than me I just hang up without saying anything. I'll end chat when I don't like the assistance I'm getting too.

Also don't like small talk, just tell me your system is loading 🙂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter