A new Christmas Challenge

iheartdisney

DIS Veteran
OK, I have a new quandry in the Christmas department. What do you do when they don't MAKE what your child really really wants?
We have told my kids this year would be a lesser Christmas than past. (last two years daddy was either deployed, or just got back, so mommy compensated!)
So the kids are taking it well. They are doing a great job of letting us know what they REALLY want vs what looks cool. The only problem is DS. He is almost 5, and has been super-into toy story since age 2. He plays with his toy story toys ALL THE TIME and has decided what he wants the absolute most is a Prospector Pete.
I've looked when we were at WDW, and I've looked on ebay, and they always sell upwards of $40. Which is not good, since $60 per child is our budget.
Grrr....so, should I break his heart in advance, or say it fell out of Santa's sled? (and hope for some stinky pete toys with the release of Toy Story 3)

I would spend the $40 and get the child what he really wants. You would still have $20 to spend on other things and the child will have what he wants. I know my kids would rather have 1 thing they really want rather than 10 things they really don't care about.

I would spend the $40 and get the child what he really wants. You would still have $20 to spend on other things and the child will have what he wants. I know my kids would rather have 1 thing they really want rather than 10 things they really don't care about.

I kind of agree here too. Good Luck.

I agree too. If that is what he is asking for and its within your budget, i'd say go for it.

I agree:thumbsup2

My thoughts exactly.

I would tell him that Pete is an expensive toy and that if Santa brings him, DS won't be able to get many other toys. I'd tell DS that he needs to think about whether he'd rather have a Prospector Pete or more of some other toy(s).

When DD5 was 2, she asked for a Pooh train for Christmas. I'm not sure where she came up with the idea, but she asked for the train from us and also told Santa about it. I had never seen a Pooh train and didn't even know if it existed, so I started looking - Wal-mart, Target, Toys R Us - no luck. I had never bought anything from ebay before (except when Disney had an ebay store), but I was getting desperate. I searched, and lo and behold, someone was selling a NIB Pooh train - it did exist! Santa somehow managed to get that train (or make his own ;) ), and he set it up in the living room Christmas Eve. She was SO excited, and she still plays with her Pooh train. So I'd say, if it is the one gift that causes excitement on Christmas morning and it is within your budget, then make it happen.

Then there was the year DD9 asked Santa for an Air Hogs plane a few days before Christmas . . . glad Santa was able to pull that off, because I had never heard of Air Hogs back then either. :santa:

I'd keep trying and trying to get the Pete figure....you still have over two months. Just keep bidding on eBay. You may get one for a better price than you think. But if not, I think I would go ahead and buy one for him. If it is what he truly wants, then that's what will make his Christmas magical.

I spent $90 on a used Wallace and Gromit playset from Ebay 2 years ago because that was what my son wanted more than anything. He was so happy and it was worth every penny. Spend the money (if you have it).

I almost never got what I asked Santa for as a kid, and after a few christmases of feeling disappointed, I pretty much gave up. My parents were on a strict budget back then and I know things were tight, so now as an adult I can understand that they couldn't afford the fancy toys and gadgets that lots of the other kids were getting. I know it must have killed my parents to not be able to give us what we REALLY wanted. (I hope I was never openly dissappointed in front of them! I would feel so bad today! Can't remember!)
So...
I would say if you can find the Pete toy, buy it. If its what he really wants, it will make his Christmas!

As far as getting a 5yo a $40 toy, that still leaves you $20, I would go to the dollar store or cheap section at Wal-Mart and get him SEVERAL little things - so he has lots to unwrap but still gets the one thing he wants the most. :thumbsup2

As my kids have gotten older and wanted more and more expensive things its harder and harder to get them something they like and still stick to a budget. I have always tried to keep it around $120-150 per kid (and with 6 to buy for including my steps thats still a LOT - and now we get to add a grandchild to that LOL). So....the last few years I've had the kids go through their stuff and we sell all of their old but still very good Christmas-past booty on ebay and add that money to their pot. So if my 17yo DS wants a blackberry for Christmas he is going to be giving up something to get it! :rotfl:

As a mom of a 14 year old who doesn't "believe" anymore, I can tell you Christmas looses a little something after that. I am so glad that while we had the chance we made it magical. If he was hoping for someting insanely priced, then I'd think differently, but $40 isn't too bad for something they really want especially when your budget allows $60. Bargain shop with the other $20 to make it go farther, but get him what he wants, you will be happy that you did and so will he. They are only little for such a short time, enjoy it as much as you can!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter