A note for those w ADRs and a person in the party w cognitive disabilities.

ppony

Artist in residence
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
We all know that canceling an ADR on the day-of incurs a charge. We were at AK when we had a 6:30 dinner res and at 3 pm it was clear our ASD son had reached his limit. We weren’t gonna make it. I went to Yak &Yeti w him to explain and they canceled us w no issues or charges. They even offered to seat us right then if we wanted. Don’t know if all places would be as lenient but I’d expect so. Just wanted others to know there’s hope, even in Disney’s era of inflexibility.🙏

In case it happens again, you can always reschedule your ADR for a future date, then cancel it without penalty.

In case it happens again, you can always reschedule your ADR for a future date, then cancel it without penalty.
Tried that, and as you know, Yak & Yeti is hard to get even 60 days out. Unless it’s a place that’s not in demand, you’re going to have a problem. Add that to not being able to book in a park w/o a ticket and rez, Disney has given us the shaft, again. ☹️

not being able to book in a park w/o a ticket and rez
Just to clarifY… the ADR system is not tied to theme park reservations. If it did, people would not be able to hop for dinner in another park. In fact there is a notice that a dining reservation does not guarantee access to a park. And ADRs have never required a ticket to book.

Just to clarifY… the ADR system is not tied to theme park reservations. If it did, people would not be able to hop for dinner in another park. In fact there is a notice that a dining reservation does not guarantee access to a park. And ADRs have never required a ticket to book.
You’re right. I’m mixing that up w the DAS ride stuff. This vacation fried every brain cell I had. I’ve been back less than 2 days and I’ve not seemed to recovered any of them yet. 🤯😑

Last edited:
Tried that, and as you know, Yak & Yeti is hard to get even 60 days out. Unless it’s a place that’s not in demand, you’re going to have a problem. Add that to not being able to book in a park w/o a ticket and rez, Disney has given us the shaft, again. ☹
When rescheduling, I believe it can be for any restaurant, not just the current one on the ADR. (Having issues right now with the MDE app, so I can't test it.)
See my post below for a correction.

Last edited:

When rescheduling, I believe it can be for any restaurant, not just the current one on the ADR. (Having issues right now with the MDE app, so I can't test it.)
Didn’t know that. 🤔 Good to know. Thanks.

Coming to report back after updating the MDE app - I was wrong, you can't change the restaurant in the app (or on the MDE website) when modifying an ADR. You can change the party size, date, and time, but not the restaurant.

We've had to cancel ADR's last minute in the past due to my son having severe migraines. We've never been charged for cancelling last minute and that was calling it in. Disney, so far, has been very understanding of things that come up.

This is good to know. I’m heading to Disney for 1st time with major health issues-I’m not sure how long I’ll be able to last in the parks!

Last May, we were literally at the outside check in at the Crystal Palace and my 7yo dd (dx ASD) had a meltdown and was saying 'it's going to be too loud in there!!!' I told the CM, I'm so sorry -we just can't go in- CM cancelled the ADR right then and didn't charge. I was grateful, I was so stressed in the moment (this was my 50th birthday meal, but my sweet little girl really struggled the whole trip).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter