A party or a gift

Your employer asks you and your coworkers if you would rather have a Christmas party (after work with dinner catered) or a gift (assumed to be $50 cash/gift card). Which would you choose?
I'm not a fan of holiday parties, but for $50 -I'd take the party. So I suppose the people I work with are worth more than the $50(less drinks and dinner) to me. Would definitely have to be over $100 to make me consider it -$50 doesn't buy much fun these days

I want to say gift, but at my work we're taxed on gifts. At least with a party I'm likely going to enjoy a place I never would go on my own and I don't have to pay tax on it. And I kind of like my coworkers, so that helps. :-)

Party.
I'm not a fan of holiday parties, but for $50 -I'd take the party. So I suppose the people I work with are worth more than the $50(less drinks and dinner) to me. Would definitely have to be over $100 to make me consider it -$50 doesn't buy much fun these days
I’d say party too, given the paltry amount.

Reactions: GAN

Gift please! I actually enjoyed most of my co-workers over the years, and we'd often socialize together, but an organized party just sucked the fun out of the room.
Haven't you watched any of The Office holiday parties?!? There is fun to be had out here.....

Gift please! I actually enjoyed most of my co-workers over the years, and we'd often socialize together, but an organized party just sucked the fun out of the room.
THIS ^

I worked at one place for 10 years, owners like family, coworkers were a harmonious caring group 9-5 and a few after hours. But it never failed no matter how hard we worked on having a great holiday party together there was always that piece of drama that just burst the balloon. I came to dread them.

I will always vote for the gift unless it was something VERY VERY AWESOME, like DH had a few years of a dinner cruise around Manhattan.

Gift, Everytime.

However, my company does parties at every turn, and spends $$$$$$ on them. Like, renting out stadiums and gifting employees $400+ gifts. So, the parties can be fun..really fun. They just don't always fit into everyone's schedule or lifestyle. A gift can be used whenever. A party is a required event at a required time.

In order of preference
1. Cash.
2. Party. Assuming good food and/or drinks.
3. Gift- I do not need any more random items with a company logo on it.

If it is my husband's work - party every time. Pre COVID, the Christmas parties were AMAZING, lavish events held in another state with airfare and hotel included. Catered event, open bar, entertainment, lots of dancing Ironically, DH is an introvert and the party is torture for him.

My job has a late summer picnic during work hours and the Christmas party is during work hours and if I go at all, I pretty much grab a plate and run. A gift card would not hurt my feelings.

Would definitely have to be over $100 to make me consider it -$50 doesn't buy much fun these days

I’d say party too, given the paltry amount.

It is worth noting that the party/gift is not paid for by the employer but by management personally. Adds up to about $500 each out of their pocket. I thought it was a nice thank you gesture.

My old employers Christmas bonus started at $25 and we up to $100 based on years of service. I thought the $25 was pretty insulting.

I want to say gift, but at my work we're taxed on gifts.

If the employer directly gave a gift the value would indeed be taxable. The first year my ex-employer gave Christmas bonuses they handed everyone cash at the Christmas party. They then taxed it on the next check, which pissed a lot of people off.

I worked at an office for about eight months, and we were given a similar choice. Everyone chose a gift, which turned out to be a gift certificate for a discount on a spiral ham. This should tell you what kind of people were running that office, so nobody wanted to party with them.

Assuming the office is not as cheap as the one I worked for, a gift.

My DH works for a company who has employees from all over the US & a few different countries. They keep threatening to have a company gettogether in Las Vegas. We'd rather pay them $100 than have to spend a long weekend partying it up with a group of people who are practically strangers. Now, if they wanted to pay for us to go to Vegas & do our own thing, we'd be all for that.
In order of preference
1. Cash.
2. Party. Assuming good food and/or drinks.
3. Gift- I do not need any more random items with a company logo on it.
The dreaded company logo "gifts". Does anyone really want that stuff?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter