A physician’s thoughts after spending 16 nights at Universal and Disney

We haven't been to Universal yet, but we have been to AK twice. We had the same rules going in each time; if we began to feel uncomfortable due to the lack of face masks being worn correctly or social distancing wasn't being followed...we would leave. We keep our masks to light colors that are made of cotton. Honest...it really does make a difference. Although I live in FL, I really don't enjoy being out in the heat and if this were a normal July, we wouldn't be in any park. I don't touch ANYTHING, and if I do feel like I need to grab a railing on stairs, I use sanitizer immediately after. I use sanitizer before and after entering a ride vehicle. I love that the parks are closing early so I don't feel like I'm missing any night-time events that I rarely get to stay to see. I love the pop-up cavalcades. We eat in outdoor seating areas. Our true test will come in Sept when we have a hotel stay to celebrate my birthday (which had to be cancelled), and our anniversary. I'm hearing that Disney Springs is not enforcing or able to enforce the safety guide lines, so we're having to postpone a return to a couple of our favorite restaurants. I realize that I am taking a chance going to the parks, but as long as guests abide by the rules, I'll be able to return.

Awesome report! I think we have about the same risk aversion/acceptance as your family. I am just curious - were you totally comfortable with indoor attractions other than shows? I feel comfortable because we will be moving and therefore I feel like others' respiratory droplets would dissipate but my husband is less certain. Were certain rides better/more acceptable than others?

Awesome report! I think we have about the same risk aversion/acceptance as your family. I am just curious - were you totally comfortable with indoor attractions other than shows? I feel comfortable because we will be moving and therefore I feel like others' respiratory droplets would dissipate but my husband is less certain. Were certain rides better/more acceptable than others?
For the most part, yes. Star Tours was the one I wish we didn’t go on. They had many more people in the vehicle than I thought they would with just some dividers between us.

That was SUPER helpful to hear because we'll be traveling soon.

I'll add a few things that we are doing for our upcoming flight because I flew from JFK in early March and did these things then. We left NYC on March 7th and the New Rochelle cluster was just hitting the news so I felt very acutely aware and concerned about illness by then.
  • We wore N95 masks from the time we left the car, on the airport transit, in the airport, and on the plane. (I had a few N95 at home. So I kept 3 for each of us and then gave the rest to a friend who is an internist in my town. He was not getting any PPE at all from the county at the time, even though we have had a good stock of it all along...) We saw a lot of people in the airport with N95 or disposable surgical masks, and a few people wore them on the plane, but not many. I saw quite a few nearby passengers (us, too) use Lysol wipes to disinfect their own little area on the plane. We will use our remaining N95 with a homemade washable mask over it for this upcoming trip.
  • We have trusted traveler, so we were fortunate to have TSAPre to move as quickly as possible through security. We always use packing cubes, hoping those will prevent anyone who needs to go through our luggage from handling our belongings more than necessary. No real strategies at security other than to get through as unscathed as possible, :) and then disinfect luggage handles and our phone after security. ( We use our phones as boarding passes.)
  • We carried on our bags to avoid dealing with the bag check kiosk and congregating at the arrival carousel.
  • We waited for boarding at the next gate over because it was vacated when we arrived.
  • We boarded at the very end because we had a very forward seat and so we were also able to disembark first. We did this to avoid passing/being passed by people entering and leaving the plane. I know that's not always possible (hello, Southwest!) but where possible: board late-ish, sit forward-ish.
  • We didn't use the washroom in the airport or on the plane (thankfully, short flights involved!). We did what our mothers taught us when we were kids: " Your dad is not stopping the car for 6 hours, so go before we leave!" If we would have needed to use the washroom, I have a few hair color gloves in my backpack for handles (though if you aren't used to wearing gloves, it can add to the awkwardness, so there's a balance to be found there.)) Above all: Scrub up well and sanitize afterward, use a paper towel to open the door handle and pitch it into the nearest wastebasket outside the washroom.
  • We didn't purchase any food or drinks in the airport or take anything from the FA on the plane. (Not having a glass of water was the hardest part of the trip! Some people absolutely should buy a beverage, and I think that's a very low risk / high reward thing to do when paired with contactless payment.
  • We used Lysol wipes on our area on the plane. We didn't touch anything on the plane unless it was unavoidable -- not seat back console, no seat back literature, no window shade handle, nothing but the push button on the overhead bin. We also purchased the internet and had a Kindle book on the plane. The idea was to get on, put away our bags, and then keep our hands and minds busy until we could get out. :)
  • We left the arrival airport for fresh air ASAP.
  • We chucked our clothes into the washer when we arrived.
There's probably a lot less you could do, and probably a few more things. We don't have any (known) risks, but we are definitely aware that by choosing to travel we could spread illness....so we're trying to find a balance.

We brought a small amount of food but primarily ate at a Disney sit down daily and then mobile order for the other meal of the day. We had yogurt or cereal for breakfast
RN here so even though the "kids" coming to WDW with me are in their 20s, I'm looked at as the medical authority in the family. [sigh] We have had family discussions regarding our mid Sept trip and have basically the same list of rules in your OP. The one thing that is still dangling for me is the sit-down, indoor dining. (because of rule #3) We made our ADRs with the understanding that we (which really means ME) will keep researching and keep watching the situation and possibly will be canceling the ressies.
So, as part of my "research", so to speak, can you elaborate on what influences/factors came into play for your decison to eat indoors? While dining, did you feel WDW provided a safe environment? Did you notice any aspect of the restaurant's ventilation system that made you feel uneasy? (like a vent blowing air down on your table- I worry about fresh air not being circulated into the system)
I'm not asking you to make my decison for me. So don't feel that weight of responsibility! Just asking the input of a fellow medical professional, who I am certain has been keeping up with the latest info available on Covid 19. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for the great report. And thanks to everyone else for some more great tips. DH and I have a trip planned for November. I am writing down all the tips so I don't forget but to be honest, I was thinking of alot of them. We don't have any underlying conditions that we know of but will be very cautious and as safe as we can be.

RN here so even though the "kids" coming to WDW with me are in their 20s, I'm looked at as the medical authority in the family. [sigh] We have had family discussions regarding our mid Sept trip and have basically the same list of rules in your OP. The one thing that is still dangling for me is the sit-down, indoor dining. (because of rule #3) We made our ADRs with the understanding that we (which really means ME) will keep researching and keep watching the situation and possibly will be canceling the ressies.
So, as part of my "research", so to speak, can you elaborate on what influences/factors came into play for your decison to eat indoors? While dining, did you feel WDW provided a safe environment? Did you notice any aspect of the restaurant's ventilation system that made you feel uneasy? (like a vent blowing air down on your table- I worry about fresh air not being circulated into the system)
I'm not asking you to make my decison for me. So don't feel that weight of responsibility! Just asking the input of a fellow medical professional, who I am certain has been keeping up with the latest info available on Covid 19. Thanks in advance!
The ventilation systems didn't really come into play for us. The things that made us feel comfortable/uncomfortable was the proximity to other guests or the traffic around are table. Those are difficult things to quantify but an example is at both Amatista and Kona we were in a booth where the back of the booth is one long seat and there is seating on the opposite side, they sat another party kitty corner to ours on the other side of the booth instead of using a table further away. Where as at Sci Fi and Brown Derby we were far away from anyone else. At California Grill we had servers and guests walking by our table frequently which was a bit unnerving. It really is difficulty to say which places are "safe" and which aren't.

The ventilation systems didn't really come into play for us. The things that made us feel comfortable/uncomfortable was the proximity to other guests or the traffic around are table. Those are difficult things to quantify but an example is at both Amatista and Kona we were in a booth where the back of the booth is one long seat and there is seating on the opposite side, they sat another party kitty corner to ours on the other side of the booth instead of using a table further away. Where as at Sci Fi and Brown Derby we were far away from anyone else. At California Grill we had servers and guests walking by our table frequently which was a bit unnerving. It really is difficulty to say which places are "safe" and which aren't.
Thank you. We really enjoy our sit-downs and each have our fav spots, so this is a tough decision for us.
My "must do" (more like must do, maybe) this trip is Sanaa. Trying to lessen the risk we will eat lunch there. Hopefully less people due to most being in parks at that time of day. DS wants Tutto Italia and I know that dining room is huge with very high ceilings.
As I'm typing this I can't believe we have to even think of these things! Surreal! Twilight Zone stuff!
Glad you enjoyed your trip and thanks for the detailed report.

Another medical family here. DH is has been an ER physician for over 30 years, also being hospital chief of staff for many years, EMT Director, Department Head, and worked on the front lines when the local hot spot erupted so he has a solid handle on what COVID is and how to respond. He has always focused on the facts and precautions. We went to Universal for 4 days over the July 4th weekend and 5 days at Disney when the parks opened without hesitation. (And, yes, we are both over 65 if you are doing the math!)

When we went to Disney, they were only taking temps at the parks, so our experience is not current with multiple temps. We really preferred the Universal method of hand sanitizer before every ride. For both Universal and Disney, we found the worst times to be after the parks closed. The Kidani pool was insane! Cabana Bay had a better handle on the pool crowds. Nobody monitored numbers at the Kidani pool and no tables were blocked off for social distancing. CitiWalk was also crowded and uncomfortable after the parks closed. Therefore, we didn't swim in the evening or go anywhere there were uncontrolled crowds. I made a run to Sprinkles in Disney Springs (just me to avoid contact with our entire group) and it was disturbingly crowded.

Our restaurant experiences were similar and I'm hoping they are all changing on a daily basis. We had the most problem with other guests that were not compliant with social distancing than Universal and Disney established procedures. We researched what they were all doing and saw value in it. We didn't shop much (due to indoor crowding) and took our own water into the parks. We used disposable items as much as possible, such as ponchos and water bottles. We did not use refillables.

We actually ordered Uber Eats a few times to avoid evening crowds some nights. We felt safe in the rooms at all times. We also had groceries delivered for breakfast and snacks.

We made the decision to fly because we felt it would have been more of a risk for us to find safe places to stop en route. Like others have posted, we avoided contact as much as possible at the airport and on the plane. We used Tiffany Town Car instead of Uber or Magical Express to limit the chance of contamination.

Over all, we used common sense, especially with social distancing. Masks were not a problem and we took several. We had to be alert to be aware of the different social distancing stations at each attraction and it took an effort to do that but it was worth it. We trained ourselves to use hand sanitizer after every ride at Disney before we touched anything else. In our opinion, it was not as much of a concern as to "what" the procedures were but "how" to be compliant. We all felt both Universal and Disney were being proactive and adaptive. We hope they listen to others when restaurants, pools, and some public areas are problematic. For our family, we went with the attitude that things would be different and we were going to be appropriate and safe. 95% of the time, we felt the environment we were in was set up for our safety. Having been to Disney multiple times a year since the early 80's, we didn't feel this trip was much different from the others during the day. The evenings, tho, were kinda boring to say in the room.

DH thinks we were safer at proactive places like Universal and Disney than running errands, going to church, and other daily routines at home. Just our opinion.

Another medical family here. DH is has been an ER physician for over 30 years, also being hospital chief of staff for many years, EMT Director, Department Head, and worked on the front lines when the local hot spot erupted so he has a solid handle on what COVID is and how to respond. He has always focused on the facts and precautions. We went to Universal for 4 days over the July 4th weekend and 5 days at Disney when the parks opened without hesitation. (And, yes, we are both over 65 if you are doing the math!)

When we went to Disney, they were only taking temps at the parks, so our experience is not current with multiple temps. We really preferred the Universal method of hand sanitizer before every ride. For both Universal and Disney, we found the worst times to be after the parks closed. The Kidani pool was insane! Cabana Bay had a better handle on the pool crowds. Nobody monitored numbers at the Kidani pool and no tables were blocked off for social distancing. CitiWalk was also crowded and uncomfortable after the parks closed. Therefore, we didn't swim in the evening or go anywhere there were uncontrolled crowds. I made a run to Sprinkles in Disney Springs (just me to avoid contact with our entire group) and it was disturbingly crowded.

Our restaurant experiences were similar and I'm hoping they are all changing on a daily basis. We had the most problem with other guests that were not compliant with social distancing than Universal and Disney established procedures. We researched what they were all doing and saw value in it. We didn't shop much (due to indoor crowding) and took our own water into the parks. We used disposable items as much as possible, such as ponchos and water bottles. We did not use refillables.

We actually ordered Uber Eats a few times to avoid evening crowds some nights. We felt safe in the rooms at all times. We also had groceries delivered for breakfast and snacks.

We made the decision to fly because we felt it would have been more of a risk for us to find safe places to stop en route. Like others have posted, we avoided contact as much as possible at the airport and on the plane. We used Tiffany Town Car instead of Uber or Magical Express to limit the chance of contamination.

Over all, we used common sense, especially with social distancing. Masks were not a problem and we took several. We had to be alert to be aware of the different social distancing stations at each attraction and it took an effort to do that but it was worth it. We trained ourselves to use hand sanitizer after every ride at Disney before we touched anything else. In our opinion, it was not as much of a concern as to "what" the procedures were but "how" to be compliant. We all felt both Universal and Disney were being proactive and adaptive. We hope they listen to others when restaurants, pools, and some public areas are problematic. For our family, we went with the attitude that things would be different and we were going to be appropriate and safe. 95% of the time, we felt the environment we were in was set up for our safety. Having been to Disney multiple times a year since the early 80's, we didn't feel this trip was much different from the others during the day. The evenings, tho, were kinda boring to say in the room.

DH thinks we were safer at proactive places like Universal and Disney than running errands, going to church, and other daily routines at home. Just our opinion.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I found your experiences and insights to be very helpful. It is much appreciated!

No. Monitoring for symptoms but our daily routine is proactive at home, too. If we did bring something back with us (which is an extremely miniscule chance), we would not be putting ourselves in the position to spread it. We limit our time outside of our home and wear masks in public. If we ever had a symptom, we would respond immediately. We made sure to be home 14 days prior to the start of school. Common sense of washing hands, social distancing, and masks!

No. Monitoring for symptoms but our daily routine is proactive at home, too. If we did bring something back with us (which is an extremely miniscule chance), we would not be putting ourselves in the position to spread it. We limit our time outside of our home and wear masks in public. If we ever had a symptom, we would respond immediately. We made sure to be home 14 days prior to the start of school. Common sense of washing hands, social distancing, and masks!

I was asking OP but thanks for responding. Do you plan to get tested?

Thanks for sharing. What if anything has been your post-trip plan? Are you quarantining at home?
I’m quarantining at home this week and seeing my patients virtually. I plan on getting tested later in the week. So far no one in my family has any symptoms.

Almost 1200 miles. Not something I'd want to do often, lol. I75 was in pretty good shape except for Michigan, but that's not surprising to me. 😉
We live in NE Indiana. I’m jealous... I do it all in one trip as well... but it never fails, we get caught up in some sort of traffic/accident on I-75 for 3 hours between Lexington & Gatlinburg every single time.

Thank you for your report! We are also from Michigan and 99% of the time fly too. We have a son and daughter in law who live in Orlando (one works for Disney, one for Universal) and from what they have told us, we are very impressed with how well both are doing in keeping everyone safe. We are contemplating a trip down but will wait a bit. Not comfortable with flying currently and don't want to do the drive since I don't have much vacation (husband has a TON!). I cannot believe you drove back in one day-props! :worship:

1. My wife sanitized the surface of everything in our rooms. Little effort but big gain
2. See my post above this one
3. Varying levels of comfort at the restaurants:
Sci-Fi - comfortable
Brown Derby - comfortable
Skipper Canteen - comfortable
California Grill - so so, a little closer to other tables than I would prefer
Le Cellier - so so, a little closer to other tables than I would prefer
San Angel Inn - so so, a little closer to other tables than I would prefer
Finnegan’s at Universal - so so, a little closer to other tables than I would prefer
Amatista cookhouse at Universal - not comfortable, too close to others
Homecomin - not comfortable, too close to others
Kona - not comfortable, too close to others
Thank you! We're going in October, and I'm trying to figure out the restaurant situation.

Fortunately everyone in my family along with myself have remained completely healthy and even better with some great and unique memories!

A group of 14 of us will be traveling to WDW from California in November and the day after I booked DVC, tickets, reservations, etc. I woke up and thought, "What did we just do? Are we nuts? What are people going to say?" :scared:

Your post has made me feel much better about my decision. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter