A plethora of small, random questions . . .

MrsPete

DIS Veteran
Okay, our plans are shaping up . . . we have a 2.5 week trip planned, cities, activities, definite time table, hotels tenatively chosen, national park cabins actually booked . . . and we've come up with a number of small, unrelated, picky-detail questions. For the record, our daugthers will be 12 and 15 for this trip. I would greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts on them:

We have enough "miles" to get two free plane tickets (US Air), but we need to buy two more. I've heard of $99 companion tickets here and there, but I've never paid attention -- is this something I could expect to get? How?

Is it possible to take a flight over the Grand Canyon from the North Rim?

Footwear question: We plan to take a 1/2 day mule ride into the Grand Canyon, and we plan to do the horseback ride /cookout at Yellowstone . . . we plan to take a couple short hikes (think 1-2 miles) in a number of places; probably the most strenuous hike will be Hidden Falls/Inspiration Point hike at Grand Tetons National Park. Since we're flying, space IS an issue; should we bring our lightweight hiking boots, or are we okay with good tennis shoes?

We're particularly excited about Custer State Park and their buffalo! Should we plan to take their Buffalo Safari (or their Safari Breakfast), or will we be able to see just as much wildlife on our own?

We want to go to the Cody Night Rodeo. Is this something for which we should buy internet tickets ahead of time?

Don't know about flights. Contact the airlines to see what kind of deals they have.

You can not take a flight from the North Rim GC, there is no airport there, only at the South Rim.

I would bring lightweight hiking boots, but that is my preference for hiking. When riding, usually a shoe or boot with a heel is recommended. A hiking boot may work.

You will see plenty of buffalo at Yellowstone. Probably you don't need to take a tour/safari, unless of course you really want to. Wildlife at Custer SP is not a plentiful as it is at Yellowstone.

Can't help with the rodeo either.

Have a great trip.

Have you checked your dates regarding your "free" plane tickets. Even though you may have enough miles, the dates get sold-out for freebies well in advance.

The companion ticket deals would not be valid with a free ticket, only if the first ticket is a paid-for ticket.

(Usually the companion deals are a benefit that comes with a credit card offer. )

You can not take a flight from the North Rim GC, there is no airport there, only at the South Rim.

I would bring lightweight hiking boots, but that is my preference for hiking. When riding, usually a shoe or boot with a heel is recommended. A hiking boot may work.

You will see plenty of buffalo at Yellowstone. Probably you don't need to take a tour/safari, unless of course you really want to. Wildlife at Custer SP is not a plentiful as it is at Yellowstone.
Too bad about the flight . . . I love my lightweight hikers, and I guess we'll have to just make room for them! . . . I may re-think our Custer State Park stay.

Have you checked your dates regarding your "free" plane tickets.

The companion ticket deals would not be valid with a free ticket, only if the first ticket is a paid-for ticket.
Yes, our 2009 dates aren't open yet, so I feel sure we'll have no trouble getting the ressies . . . We were hoping to get two for free (with miles), pay full price for ticket #3, and get a $99 coupon for ticket #4.

Thanks!

I just wanted to make a comment about the Hidden Falls/Inspiration Point hike. Yes,definitely go as far as Hidden Falls. But if you're afraid of heights, like I am, you might want to stop there. I did, and when DH came back down from IP, he knew it wasn't for me. I'll let you decide whether the view from IP is worth the hike-

2007_0609Image0032.jpg

2007_0609Image0029.jpg

No question that Hidden Falls is worth it.

I just want to comment on the Cody night rodeo...
We were planning on doing this last summer but we stayed in West Yellowstone and were going to drive back and forth. Well it was TORRENTIAL DOWNPOUR that night, and we had to cancel. On the map, it looks much closer than it actually is to Yellowstone. The roads are not "highway" miles and so would have taken much longer than we anticipated (esp. with the rain). Obviously if you are staying in Cody and doing it from there, no problem :-) But it was NOT something we needed advance tickets for when I called about it. (we were there in July). Have FUN! That is a GREAT TRIP!

Hiking poles for support would help on that trail. I don't remember it being as scary as that photo looks, lol! BUT... it was a long time ago when I was much younger and much more foolish.

Have a great trip.

LOVE those photographs, and no one in my family is afraid of heights -- those pictures look exhillarating, not scary to me!

We'll be driving from Denver up through the Mt. Rushmore /Custer State Park area, so we'll be spending the night in Cody -- no worries about driving out there just for the rodeo.

Thanks all!

Yes, our 2009 dates aren't open yet, so I feel sure we'll have no trouble getting the ressies . . . We were hoping to get two for free (with miles), pay full price for ticket #3, and get a $99 coupon for ticket #4.

Thanks!

$99 companion tickets are only given out if you sign up for the airlines credit card. Perhaps you have that, but didn't state that you did. It's just with certain offers too. Otherwise you'll be paying full price for both tickets #3 and #4. I was just on USairways yesterday when they did the spiel on the plane about the card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter