A public service anmouncement

kuzco-like

Earning my ears
(And a joke)

After listening to this week's News show, I felt that I had to make this appeal: Please don't mock the afflicted. Like Craig, I too suffer from RBF (which is, in our situations, Resting Bored Face, a slightly less intense form of RBF). Please understand that this is something beyond our control. We cannot change the way our faces look when we are tired, or bored, or deep in thought. It's just the way we are.

We hear the questions all the time. Are you okay? Is something wrong? Are you capable of feeling joy or excitement? The answers are: yes, I'm okay; nothing is wrong; and yes, I can feel joy and excitement. I'm just like everyone else. The only difference is that I don't externalize those feelings. Think of me as being like a night club. There could be a huge party going on inside, but you'd never know it from the dark, drab exterior.

There are some clues, though, for which to look in a person who has RBF, which indicate that he/she is actually having a good time. For example, I might have a slight sparkle in my eyes while saying something negative. Or my sarcasm might be slightly less biting. Or I might say something more ironic than usual. These are all indications that I'm "having a good time", as they say.

I hope that this post has been helpful to those who don't suffer from RBF, and that I've hopefully shortened the gap between the internally and externally gleeful.

And I hope that you read the sparkle in my eye as you read this.

This explains everything!!! My husband is a victim of RBF! Everybody is always asking him "What's wrong" or "who p*ssed you off"! He just has RBF!:rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl2:

(And a joke) After listening to this week's News show, I felt that I had to make this appeal: Please don't mock the afflicted. Like Craig, I too suffer from RBF (which is, in our situations, Resting Bored Face, a slightly less intense form of RBF). Please understand that this is something beyond our control. We cannot change the way our faces look when we are tired, or bored, or deep in thought. It's just the way we are. We hear the questions all the time. Are you okay? Is something wrong? Are you capable of feeling joy or excitement? The answers are: yes, I'm okay; nothing is wrong; and yes, I can feel joy and excitement. I'm just like everyone else. The only difference is that I don't externalize those feelings. Think of me as being like a night club. There could be a huge party going on inside, but you'd never know it from the dark, drab exterior. There are some clues, though, for which to look in a person who has RBF, which indicate that he/she is actually having a good time. For example, I might have a slight sparkle in my eyes while saying something negative. Or my sarcasm might be slightly less biting. Or I might say something more ironic than usual. These are all indications that I'm "having a good time", as they say. I hope that this post has been helpful to those who don't suffer from RBF, and that I've hopefully shortened the gap between the internally and externally gleeful. And I hope that you read the sparkle in my eye as you read this.

Between this thread and the other one I think you have perfectly summed up everything about me better than I could ever do myself. Bravo.

... I've hopefully shortened the gap between the internally and externally gleeful.

:rotfl2: OMG...I laugh every time I read this! I too get in trouble for my "faces". I'll be minding my own business, or having a conversation with my husband, and he gets ticked off because he thinks that I am mad, when I'm not. I need a mirror to constantly hover in front of me to show me when I'm making bored or annoyed looking faces. How I want to be externally gleeful...I'm not quite to grumpy cat stage, but I must be doing something cause my DH gets on me alot. (That or he just brings out the RBF in me!)

Don't let the ribbing get to you Craig! I'd rather see your natural face (you'll probably never get wrinkles!), than some fakey smile (which would just seem creepy). :scared1:

How lovely is it to know that we're not alone? :goodvibes (emoticons show the emotion that I don't).

Let's hear it for RBF :thumbsup2. I have a vertical crease on my forehead. Makes my brows look furrowed in anger.

On top of that, since my stroke a few years ago, speaking requires effort.

So, I often seem to be so angry that I'm giving the silent treatment.

Between this thread and the other one I think you have perfectly summed up everything about me better than I could ever do myself. Bravo.

Anyone else notice that Craig's avatar and signature are also emotion-less? It just dawned on me. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

It is my dream that, some day, a group of those who suffer from RBF can get together in the parks to collectively frown. What an amazing photo opportunity!

This explains everything!!! My husband is a victim of RBF! Everybody is always asking him "What's wrong" or "who p*ssed you off"! He just has RBF!:rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl2:

My DH too! He doesn't say much and doesn't smile a whole lot. A fake smile from him would definitely look "creepy" as someone else mentioned. Most people are very intimidated by him and my friends are always asking if they did something to make him mad! :lmao: Nope. That's just his face! :goodvibes

I too am a sufferer, although I tend to replace the B with something not so Dis friendly

I too suffer from a form of RBF, although in my case it is more likely to be RPOF (Resting Pissed-off face). Inherited it from my paternal grandmother, a German dutch gal from Pennsylvania. With my jowly face, and turned down mouth, unless I am animated in conversation or screaming on a thrill ride, I look like I am severely unhappy or mad.

My husband is one of those internal joy guys, so together we look like quite the pair of grumps.

Mikethedigiartist, I love the suggestion. And I would be thrilled if Craig read this on the air (although nobody would be able to tell that I was thrilled).

Finally, a name for this condition! I've had this "mad" look since I was a teenager.:mad: =me smiling right now!

My People!! Color me afflicted! Let's form our own forum group... How about The Grumpy Cats or Craig's Grumpy Cats? :cool2:

:goodvibesLove this thread! Although I don't have RBF, I do know those that do...now I know what's wrong with them.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! I have actually had to be talked to at work because of this! I have never in my life been a person to walk around with a teeth-baring smile on my face. One of my co-workers IS. She would even have that smile plastered on her face while down-talking others. Granted, this isnt a REALLY medically acknowledged condition, but still it's nice to know others are victims!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter