A question apropos of nothing ...

FergieTCat

I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.
I was wondering if anyone knows if WDW is still doing refurbishments during this closure.

Yes, I know it's not important and that health is more important (believe me, I know, I live 2 miles from Elmhurst, Queens and rarely leave my apartment ...), but I was wondering. I thought Spaceship Earth was being redone (for one).

They were at first but they they halted all construction. I do believe some routine maintenance is being done at parks and resorts, but it's a small crew. The major projects have not been progressing.

Right after WDW closed it was said that the construction work had ended as well. Don't know what happened since or whether it included smaller upgrade projects.

Right after WDW closed it was said that the construction work had ended as well. Don't know what happened since or whether it included smaller upgrade projects.

As far as I've heard they do have some staff doing things like flushing toilets and things like that to prevent any issues from neglect. I'd imagine that includes doing small maintenance tasks but not new projects. Proper construction has not been taking place.

I was wondering if anyone knows if WDW is still doing refurbishments during this closure.

Yes, I know it's not important and that health is more important (believe me, I know, I live 2 miles from Elmhurst, Queens and rarely leave my apartment ...), but I was wondering. I thought Spaceship Earth was being redone (for one).

Just wanted to say HI DONNA! Haven't seen you around the DIS in awhile. Hope all is well with you! Lynn

As far as I've heard they do have some staff doing things like flushing toilets and things like that to prevent any issues from neglect. I'd imagine that includes doing small maintenance tasks but not new projects. Proper construction has not been taking place.
Makes sense but that's considered building maintenance. Right now many hotels in NYC are closed but the scaled down versions of the Engineering departments still work ensuring the properties physical plant is up to snuff.

I suspect they are doing daily maintenance almost as if the park was open. They have engineers who know exactly what needs to happen to keep these rides operational through a shutdown.

Yeah, this stuff can't just sit idle. They must be running things and then doing maintenance as needed. I do not expect to see any major noticeable differences or upgrades though, maybe some minor things.

I suspect they are doing daily maintenance almost as if the park was open. They have engineers who know exactly what needs to happen to keep these rides operational through a shutdown.

^^^^

One aspect with DSIL's job discription includes Universal and he still makes visits keeping rides in proper order as should CMs for WDW. Can't keep "in motion" equipment stationary for extended time without repercussion as with unattended vegetation.

I wondered if they were running the rides during the closure. I heard that they drained all the water out of the boat rides. It's got to be weird to be running stuff like River Journey, Pirates, Haunted Mansion and Small World with no people. Do they also run the music and sound effects? Do they keep the lights up? Wish we could see some video of that...

I wondered if they were running the rides during the closure. I heard that they drained all the water out of the boat rides. It's got to be weird to be running stuff like River Journey, Pirates, Haunted Mansion and Small World with no people. Do they also run the music and sound effects? Do they keep the lights up? Wish we could see some video of that...
They can't run water rides if they are drained. The boats on SM and PoTC are not on tracks, they are free-floating.

First, Donna, great to see you. Have not seen you ages. :wave:

I read about a week ago that all the landscaping work is being maintained, including trimming of the many topiaries in Epcot that are out for the Flower and Garden. Also, construction is continuing on The Cove hotel by the Swan.

Again, great to see you.

First, Donna, great to see you. Have not seen you ages. :wave:

I read about a week ago that all the landscaping work is being maintained, including trimming of the many topiaries in Epcot that are out for the Flower and Garden. Also, construction is continuing on The Cove hotel by the Swan.

Again, great to see you.

The Cove is not a Disney owned property so I guess they continued as planned. I have also heard ocnstruction continued at the Flaming Crossing area which is on-site but comprised of third-party hotels and shops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter