A question for Indiana parents/teachers

Thanks for everyone's answers and suggestions. I'm sad that they probably won't be able to come with us because the schools place so much emphasis on the tests that really primarily benefit their own pocketbooks, not so much the individual educational needs of the kids.

What do you think they do with the money-divide it up amongst the teachers and take it home?! The funding the school gets goes toward the education of the students: new and updated curriculum, new technology, new books.

Thanks for everyone's answers and suggestions. I'm sad that they probably won't be able to come with us because the schools place so much emphasis on the tests that really primarily benefit their own pocketbooks, not so much the individual educational needs of the kids. It's also a shame that the schools have so much power over what families feel like they can do with their own kids.

Like I said (somewhere, maybe it was just to myself!), I wouldn't have a problem taking my own third grader out of school, but everyone has to make that decision themselves.

Sorry....just had to update for those NOT from Indiana who possibly might read this. Today on the news they talked about the Avon school corporation whose board was meeting today. There is talk of laying off 60+ teachers, administrators and support staff. There is talk of eliminating some after school activities. There is talk about fees for other after school activities. And this OP thinks the testing for schools to benefit their pocketbooks. HECK YES SCHOOLS IN INDIANA NEED THE MONEY! Our wonderful governor and superintendent of schools have made drastic changes in recent years and our kids are the ones suffering. I can't tell you how many recent college grads I know who majored in education who can't find jobs ...due to cuts. Some people need to get their head out of the sand and watch the news, read about what these major budget cuts are doing to our kids. We don't have education money and yet we have millions to improve our roads!

OP the schools do need the money. The teachers are being graded on how their kids do on tests and during the year. They place an emphasis on tests because funding and so many other things are based on these test scores...THEY ARE NOT PADDING THEIR OWN POCKETBOOKS like you think. Yes, one child missing one day or one test won't have a huge impact but if lots of others had your point of view on the schools just wanting tests so they padded their pocketbooks we'd be in even bigger trouble. THE EMPHASIS IS ON THE TESTS SO THEY CAN PAD THEIR EMPTY POCKETBOOKS!!!! THERE IS NO EXTRA MONEY FOR SCHOOLS...THERE IS NOT ENOUGH!!

I feel for those Avon teachers who are getting calls today because they are being let go. I feel for those kids who won't be able to do the after school activities because their families can't afford the fees.

Back when we still participated in school the best strategy we came up with for our son was to inform him that the impact the test had on him personally was ZERO. Perfect score, total flunk, either way, it did not impact HIM at all. Suddenly he was able to relax, stop freaking out and surprise, surprise, he still did exceptionally well on the test.

I cannot imagine that spending a week cramming for the test is good for the children. It doesn't really help them retain the information and it just seems so stressful. I'd be inclined to advocate removing the child for that week for their own benefit. Perhaps going into testing relaxed and without all that extra pressure would be beneficial.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter