A question for Kevin

emcat

Earning My Ears
Hi Kevin (and everybody reading this),

I haven't posteed here before, but I'm a faithful lurker and listener to the show, infact my email was read out a few weeks ago by Julie, about my Cousin, which was lovely of you all... so thanks!

I have an unrelated Disney question for Kevin. You often mention that you're from New York. I'm going there in April (I live in London) for a University Art History trip. Of course we will be doing lots of art related things, but we also get a day and a half of free time and I since I really, really value your opinion I'd love if you could recommend some places for a New York newbie to go. What I'd really, really love is if you would possibly be able to suggest somewhere nice my friends and I could go for dinner, that isn't too pricey - we are students after all!

Thank you very much. I love the show, keep up the amazing work, and I'm also very sorry if I shouldn't have posted this here.

I love John's

also if you have time go see a Broadway show!
Some of my favorites are Wicked, The Lion King, and Spamalot

also Little Mermaid just came out so you might like to see that (I really want to get tickets to that)

I also want to get tickets to Jersey Boys

um... I can run a brief list.

the tkts booth in times square for last in broadway tickets
the UN
The empire State building
The statue of Liberty
ride the Subway
walk about the "village"
30 Rock for the Today Show in the morning
World of Disney Store
Central Park
Central Park Zoo
The Air Craft Carrier
Peter Lugar
The Worlds Fair park in queens

All great suggestions. Let me add a few...

- Stop by Grand Central Station. It's one of a kind. Afterwards, check out the lobby in the Chrysler Building. It's one of the finest examples of Art Deco in the world (IMHO).
- Eat something "typical NY", such as:
-- A knish from a kosher deli (Katz's Deli is a tradition)
-- Dim sum in Chinatown
-- A cannoli in Little Italy
- Visit some old-style department stores (Macys has some really old school wooden escalators). Saks is pretty nice to walk through too.
- If you're near Rockefeller Center, stop by St. Patrick's cathedral. The architecture is awe inspiring.
- Again, in the Rockefeller Center area, if it's hot out, stop in Serendipity3 (225 E. 60th St) for some Frrrozen Hot Chocolate. It's truly out of this world!
- Window shop up 5th Ave. Don't forget to stop in the World of Disney on 55th St!
- Check out Times Square. Sometimes, you can get into the ABC building where they broadcast Good Morning America. Across the street is the largest Toys R Us that you'll ever see. Ride the ferris wheel inside (I'm glad I had kids as an excuse to ride!).

There are a million other things to do and see. Have a wonderful trip!

Sorry...I was away from the computer for a while, but I see that you have been given some awesome ideas anyway.

I would tell you to visit a NY dei for a true NYC experience...and my choice would be the Carnegie Deli at 54th and 7th. The price of a sandwich will surprise you, but you can order extra bread and 4 of you can share one. John and I cant finish one, so that should tell you something.

If the Metropolitan Museum of Art is not on your agenda...and shame on the tour guides if it's not....then I would tell you not to miss that.

Wildeoscar would be absolutely correct in pointing you towards the TKTS booth. It's actually at Duffy Square...a block or two north of Times Square but it's right in the middle of the street. You line up in the morning for a matinee and in the afternoon for an evening performance. They only sell tickets for that day but they are half price. You probably wont get into one of the really popular shows but you might get to see something cool. I have had some of the best theater experiences of my life via a half price ticket.

I would suggest a day time walk through Chinatown or Little Italy.

If it's a nice day....I'd suggest a Circle Line Cruise around the island of Manhattan. It's $29 a person. It lasts 3 hours and you pick it up at the pier on W. 42 St so it's easy to get to. It's a GREAT view of Manhattan.

Those are somethings I would tell someone visiting NY for the first time to do.

Kevin

Just wanted to put the info. out there that the TKTS Booth in Times Square is in a temporary location currently - it's right outside the Marriott Marquis Hotel in Times Square while the Duffy Sq. location is being renovated. Don't know when the renovations are set to be complete, but I know I was so glad that I looked up this info. on a whim when I went over the summer, as the temporary location was a little difficult to find, if you didn't know where to look.

You can check out the TDF website (which runs the TKTS booths) to check on the location when you'll be there in April, as well as see what shows were offered recently. There is also another location at the South Street Seaport, if that will be more convenient to where you're staying. http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

Have a great trip! I love NYC! :love:

I didnt know about the Duffy Square booth being rehabbed.

Thanks for updating that.

Kevin

Just wanted to put the info. out there that the TKTS Booth in Times Square is in a temporary location currently - it's right outside the Marriott Marquis Hotel in Times Square while the Duffy Sq

The TKTS Booth is on the 45th St side of the Marriott. I was in 2 weeks ago and ended up seeing Avenue Q. Loved it! (What's the Internet Good For?) If you decide to do this, have a couple of plays in mind you would like to see. Not all shows are available.

I see you will be here for an Art History trip. I am going to guess that the Met and MOMA are on the list.

For other things to do:
Head down to lower Manhattan and ride the Staten Island Ferry. Cheap and the best views of lower Manhattan and Statue of Liberty.

SOHO - great shopping
Union Square Park/Green Market & Washington Sq Park
South Street Seaport

Head to the top of the Empire State Building

As far as eating, plan more on grazing. With the diversity of food, eat as you go.

Enjoy.

I didnt know about the Duffy Square booth being rehabbed.

Thanks for updating that.

Kevin

someone for got to check the re hab board for NYC. Ditto on the Circle Tour, I havn't done that in a million years.

I'd also suggest Tompkins Square for a new ride called, "So ya wanna be a crack head"

As far as eating, plan more on grazing. With the diversity of food, eat as you go.

I agree, especially if you're on a limited budget. One of the typically NY things you *might* want to try is food from one of the many vendor carts. Many of my friends love the curry cooked out on the street for an inexpensive and tasty meal.

I suggest this with much hesitation, though. I make it a point not to eat "sidewalk food", but I admit to the guilty pleasure of indulging in an occasional soft pretzel. The fact that they look vaguely like Mickey ears has nothing to do with it... honest!

I grew up on Long Island and our favorite "deli" to visit was Katz's Delicatessan on Houston Street.

It's been there forever and you could feed a small country w/ one of it's sandwiches!

Oh and one of the scenes from When Harry Met Sally was filmed there. I can't mention which one since this is a family message board! ;)

When we saw the movie in the theater I kept thinking...I know where they are, I know where they are!!!

You can get theater discounts to some Broadway shows by subscribing to Playbill http://www.playbill.com
It is free to subscribe. The site usually lists a number of on and off Broadway shows. The discounts are not usually half price but sometimes they are plus, you don't need to wait in line at the Tix booth. I just checked and you can get balcony seats for Spamalot through March 23 for $45. Avenue Q is $72.50 on Saturday and $46.50-$56.50 on Tues-Thurs and Sunday evening. You have to pay the service charges if you order online but you can get the discounts at the box office with no service charge.

A great place to eat for a group is Carmine's. We go to the one on Broadway at W 91st St. There is also one on w 44th st. The entrees are served family style - you can order salad and a pasta dish with meat for $50 and it can easily be shared by 4 or 5 people. Our daughter lives around the corner and we go there almost every time we visit. The 3 of us shared an entree and our daughter had leftovers for 3 days. Heartland Brewery is another good place to eat - great buffalo burgers. They have sites around town. We've been to the one in Union Square.

Just had to chime in too - another NY'er here...

John's Pizzeria is awesome! My friend's father is the manager there. Also for a fun/interesting experience (and some REALLY good Mexican food and margaritas) check out Tortilla Flats (767 Washington Street @ 12th Ave) in the Meatpacking District. On Monday nights they have BINGO there and you can win strange prizes like being spanked by one of the servers or a free pitcher of margaritas!

Here is a good website that will give you some good ideas for restaurants/bars in NYC: http://www.sheckys.com/newyorkcity/nightlife/

Enjoy your trip!

wow, thank you so much for all of the replies. I never expected so many! I'm so excited about going to New York and I'm going to try and do as many things as possible that people have suggested.

I would have replied sooner but the internet at my house stopped working (that's what you get for living in student digs I suppose) and it took a while to get it fixed. I live with two other girls and we have no computer skills whatsoever. :rolleyes1 It's also meant that I haven't been about to listen to the latest disunplugged episode yet :sad1: But I'm going to listen to it tomorrow, yay!

Once again thanks, it made my day coming on here and seeing so many replies! It's so cool to have Kevin reply to something I've posted!!

Emma

Hi Emma!

I live in Tribeca in NYC. If you are looking for a great, cheap, local place that has great food without being too touristy try.. Greenwich St. Tavern in Tribeca..which is on Greenwich St and the cross street is Hubert. Another great cheap eat in tribeca is Maryann's mexican restaurant

If you are in the theator district try Blue Fin restaurant..not very cheap but excellent food in a great atmosphere. Order the Blue Fin cocktail. Its a martini/cosmopolitan with a swedish fish on the bottom..once you are done drinking the swedish fish is drench in alcohol ....YUM!!! ;) ...if you really want to splurge try Bar Americain..its a bobby flay restaurant and it is fantastic!!!

If you are looking for a Times Square gimick type restaurant not in times square. I Just went to this restaurant this past sat called Ninja new york on Hudson st. The food was great!!! and there are some surprises to be had...Lets just say I had to go down a dark cave to get to my table. and Ninja jumped out at out of nowhere and yelled Hiiiii ...YYYAAA!!!!!

There are multiple Patsy's Pizzerias which are excellent throughout the city (another cheap eats)

Since you will be in town in April I would def check out a Yankee or Met game. (much cheaper than a broadway show ticket) They are knocking down Shea and Yankee Stadium at the end of the 2008 season and we will have two brand new stadium in town the following year. Even though I am a huge Met Fan, I still cant believe they are knocking down Yankee Stadium. Its a huge part of NYC history and more importantly baseball's culture..I would go there before its gone!....

If you are in NY then you must have a couple of dirty water dogs.

It's so hard to say what to do in NY because there is so much and it is so intricate, that you can literally get into debates about where to get the best street vendor food. NY is one of a kind, enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter