A question for parents

specialkk77

Mouseketeer
This may be an odd question. My fiancé and I are planning our third trip to disney world. We don't have kids yet, but we are both young and young at heart. (he's 23, I'm 22) We both enjoy seeing how the magic of disney affects everyone, not just ourselves.

With that being said, we're discussing the ways to "spread the magic" to others. I was reading how people sometimes hand out glow sticks that they brought in. How would you feel if total strangers came up to you and asked if it was okay to give your child a glow stick? (I ALWAYS ask the guardian of a child if I can give them something, I often do it with arcade tickets.) Is it creepy, or cute? Our intentions are good, but I don't want to get punched in the face for trying to be nice on my vacation!

Please tell me what you think, honestly. If you're okay with the idea, maybe you can give me some other ideas on how to share the magic with everyone! :)

I have a three-year-old, and as a parent, I would appreciate that gesture, as would my DD! Very sweet of you to spread some joy to others!

I think it's a lovely gesture - provided, as you said, you checked with the adult first... that is the part that negates any creepy factor, imo. Have fun!

Neither my wife nor myself would have an issue with it. It's nice when strangers do nice things for your kids. Just be forewarned that if you did that to my youngest daughter you should be prepared to stay and talk for a while. She's a talker!

Neither my wife nor myself would have an issue with it. It's nice when strangers do nice things for your kids. Just be forewarned that if you did that to my youngest daughter you should be prepared to stay and talk for a while. She's a talker!

Lol, I'm a talker too! And I'm really good at kid friendly topics. I am the youngest in my family, but I do have nieces and nephews to talk with, lol. Sometimes it's interesting what they come up with!

i'm glad everyone so far thinks I had a nice idea. :) I never got to go to disney as a kid, so I'm trying to make up for that now, obviously. Lol.

As long as you talked to the parents, and we're not offering food, I bet you will get a great response.
We had someone give us sticker last year and my daughter especially loved it. :)

We stay at Ft. Wilderness and do the campfire movie a few times each trip. Quite a few times my DD (9) has been offered glow sticks either from total strangers or people she just met. I am sure most times an adult asked me first. I don't think there is anything wrong with that whatsoever. I hope you have a great time!

I'd say stick with the glow sticks ;) as much as my kids love stickers I don't love peeling them off the stroller, bag, ect and if they put it on their beautiful princess dress and I just so happen to not notice it while doing laundry...I would like them even less ;) this would vary so much depending on who you ask obviously, I would prefer my kids have bubbles over stickers but many parents feel the opposite. You could also look for things like when you walk passed a pressed penny machine if there is a child there looking maybe hand them the 0.51, cheap but it'd likely make their day!

I think it's a great idea and we have done the same thing. Used to love to share fast passes too. Never offer food and ask parent first but most will be happy with the offer. I often will eat a kids meal when we occasionally eat fast food and I will stick the toy in my bag too offer to an overtired child. I rarely go to church without some type of small treat in my bag to offer a child sitting near us, especially a visitor who had parents that did not think to bring entertainment.

I'd say stick with the glow sticks ;) as much as my kids love stickers I don't love peeling them off the stroller, bag, ect and if they put it on their beautiful princess dress and I just so happen to not notice it while doing laundry...I would like them even less ;) this would vary so much depending on who you ask obviously, I would prefer my kids have bubbles over stickers but many parents feel the opposite. You could also look for things like when you walk passed a pressed penny machine if there is a child there looking maybe hand them the 0.51, cheap but it'd likely make their day!

The pennies are such a good idea. And I always bring way too much change with me for them! I'm so glad people have such good ideas.

once my niece had the entire reclining chair covered in stickers before anyone noticed she had them. That was a mess. I think personal experiences can ruin some things for us adults, lol. I like bubbles but they are a bit sticky and messy too!

I'm also thinking of doing a little bag of "confetti" with mickey shaped paper (I have one of the paper punchers for scrapbooking) for kids to throw during parades and fireworks. Not sure how disney themselves would feel about that one.

thank you for your input, and the good idea!

We had an absurd amount of glow sticks (I think I picked up a tube every time I walked into target or the dollar tree). And then I forgot we had them.

Anyway....the one night I remembered (our last night, of course), we shared with the little girls watching by us and it made their night. Their parents were so grateful and it was just a warm and fuzzy time. :goodvibes

The $.51 is a great idea. I know my DS6 would love that! And I can see that really making a kid's day and the parents liking it too, not everyone comes with their quarters and shiny pennies stacked, ready to go, in a mini m&m tube (even though that's the BEST idea ever!). ;)

As the parent of a DS 2.5, yes to glow sticks, stickers and change for a pressed penny. Not keen on bubbles in the park. Food would definitely be out.

I'll be the odd duck out and say that I, initially, would find this bizarre. I think, however, after a few days of Disney magic and vacation decompression, my attitude may be different. :D

I would not have minded when my DGD was younger. AS long as you talked to me, I would have thought it was a lovely gesture.

Hey. I have a 5 year old little boy and people often offer him things when we are out. He loves it it makes him feel so special. I will say the first few times it happened it caught me off guard and I didn't know how to respond. So I would say be prepared for that and it doesn't mean the person doesn't appreciate it they may just be surprised.

I think my 5 year old and 2 year old would love to get glow sticks or stickers. It would make them feel super special, and I would be totally fine with it.

We had an absurd amount of glow sticks (I think I picked up a tube every time I walked into target or the dollar tree). And then I forgot we had them.

Anyway....the one night I remembered (our last night, of course), we shared with the little girls watching by us and it made their night. Their parents were so grateful and it was just a warm and fuzzy time. :goodvibes

The $.51 is a great idea. I know my DS6 would love that! And I can see that really making a kid's day and the parents liking it too, not everyone comes with their quarters and shiny pennies stacked, ready to go, in a mini m&m tube (even though that's the BEST idea ever!). ;)

I keep tubes filled as soon as I know i'm going! So, this year, I started planning for pressed pennies in march, I'm not going again until may 2015! lol. They're suck a nice, cheap takeaway from the parks, and small kids don't care how cost friendly they are, they just like the excitement of a new collection! lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter