• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A question for the fire inspectors

Jeannie

<font color=blue>Taking the slow route to 1000 pos
What is the difference between a UL listed smoke detector and an ETL (conforms to UL std) smoke detector? I'm in NJ and tried to google the fire code, but not having much luck. I did find this: “There’s little difference between UL and ETL marks. The most important thing to note is that they’re both qualified by the OSHA-certified, Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTL)." Trying to understand why ETL is not allowed.

What is the difference between a UL listed smoke detector and an ETL (conforms to UL std) smoke detector? I'm in NJ and tried to google the fire code, but not having much luck. I did find this: “There’s little difference between UL and ETL marks. The most important thing to note is that they’re both qualified by the OSHA-certified, Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTL)." Trying to understand why ETL is not allowed.
My son is a fire inspector, but not here right now.

I would say that NJ, and maybe other states and/or organizations, want to deal with one set of testing guidelines from one testing organization, rather than two.

From skimming here, it would seem both are good. But NJ prefers to make life simple and deal with one.

But NJ prefers to make life simple and deal with one.
Simple for who, lol?!! I'm just annoyed that we bought 3 new '10 year sealed' smoke detectors and we failed inspection because of them. The ones that we were replacing were still in the room and the inspector said that they were fine! We thought they had to be replaced since they weren't 10 year sealed, but apparently since everything else is hardwired (or something like that) the old ones were fine. No big deal, my husband can put the old ones back and return the new ones to Home Depot. The rest of the smoke and CO detectors are fine, as are our fire extinguishers. I was told to just call the office and set up another appointment and I'd probably see him (the inspector) on Thursday.

I called the office and was told I had to come in, in person to make another appointment and I would have to pay another $60 for the inspection. I tried asking about the ETL listing but was basically told that they're not legal in this country!!! I had to wait 3 weeks to get today's appointment. Our closing on this house is in 3 weeks! I'm knee deep in packing boxes. I don't have an extra hour to go to their office! Of course I will, because I have to. Just very frustrating that their website is unclear about when you do or don't need 10 year sealed detectors, and makes no mention at all about UL vs ETL standards.

Phew! Rant over! ;)

Simple for who, lol?!! I'm just annoyed that we bought 3 new '10 year sealed' smoke detectors and we failed inspection because of them. The ones that we were replacing were still in the room and the inspector said that they were fine! We thought they had to be replaced since they weren't 10 year sealed, but apparently since everything else is hardwired (or something like that) the old ones were fine. No big deal, my husband can put the old ones back and return the new ones to Home Depot. The rest of the smoke and CO detectors are fine, as are our fire extinguishers. I was told to just call the office and set up another appointment and I'd probably see him (the inspector) on Thursday.

I called the office and was told I had to come in, in person to make another appointment and I would have to pay another $60 for the inspection. I tried asking about the ETL listing but was basically told that they're not legal in this country!!! I had to wait 3 weeks to get today's appointment. Our closing on this house is in 3 weeks! I'm knee deep in packing boxes. I don't have an extra hour to go to their office! Of course I will, because I have to. Just very frustrating that their website is unclear about when you do or don't need 10 year sealed detectors, and makes no mention at all about UL vs ETL standards.

Phew! Rant over! ;)
A bummer, for sure.

No idea but searching reveals OSHA considers them to be identical.
Which makes sense. UL apparently designs the testing procedure and tests products. ETL tests products using UL testing procedures so I have no idea why it would matter since they are both test to the same standard.

Phew! Rant over! ;)

Try calling or going to your local fire department. Someone there will likely be able to explain it to you. Plus, you will get what is allowed in NJ. Our fire department said on the local news that they'd be happy to answer these kinds of questions over having to put out fires due to people not having the right equipment or knowing the right regulations.

Two different Testing Laboratories ....both Nationally recognized. You'll be fine either way unless a local code supersedes the National

From NJ fire code:

5:70-4.19 Smoke alarms for one- and two-family dwellings; carbon monoxide alarms; and portable fire extinguishers

(c) Ten-year sealed battery-powered single station smoke alarms shall be installed and shall be listed in accordance with ANSI/UL 217, incorporated herein by reference. However, A/C-powered single or multiple-station smoke alarms installed as part of the original construction or rehabilitation project shall not be replaced with battery-powered smoke alarms. The effective date of this subsection shall be January 1, 2019.
1. A/C-powered smoke alarms shall be accepted as meeting the requirements of this section.

So, in other words, if you had hard wired ones, you do not need to replace them with the 10 year sealed.

Is that inspection specific to NJ or are you planning to sell your home? All of the various states where I have lived there was never any annual/periodic inspection of those devices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter