A reminder about little ones at Disney

Mel921

Earning My Ears
Yes, you spent a lot of money to make this trip happen. Yes, you want it to be perfect and magical, but please please please remember that little ones get tired and things don't always go as planned.

If you were the mother with the two little girls at The Rose and Crown on September 12th in the 6 pm hour, that wouldn't stop yelling at your poor baby girl who was tired and probably exhausted from the horrible horrible heat that week, you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Removing her from the table and then bringing her back and stating loudly that you "have spanked her really hard and there is nothing more you can do" made me sick to my stomach. Watching her fall asleep with her forehead on the table was pathetic. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. She was only 2 or 3 years old for crying out loud!!! You bothered me more than her tired cries. :mad:

That makes me so sad. I am a big believer in not setting your children up to fail....taking them to dinner when they are exhausted, completely altering their schedule and wondering why they melt down, etc.

Poor little thing. I hope that spanking isn't her big memeory of Disney.

OH MY GOSH!! :furious: I don't know if I could not have just sat there and have been as calm as you. I am like a lot of parents, I loose my patience at times and I get frustrated with my 3 yr old but I would never, never, never get upset with her for being over tired.

Come on people, use a little, just a little common sense and don't play commando mom and have your kids suffer.

People will never learn!!

Yes, you spent a lot of money to make this trip happen. Yes, you want it to be perfect and magical, but please please please remember that little ones get tired and things don't always go as planned.

If you were the mother with the two little girls at The Rose and Crown on September 12th in the 6 pm hour, that wouldn't stop yelling at your poor baby girl who was tired and probably exhausted from the horrible horrible heat that week, you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Removing her from the table and then bringing her back and stating loudly that you "have spanked her really hard and there is nothing more you can do" made me sick to my stomach. Watching her fall asleep with her forehead on the table was pathetic. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. She was only 2 or 3 years old for crying out loud!!! You bothered me more than her tired cries. :mad:

Awww....poor baby girl!!! But your post brings a lot to be reminded about....just because we parents pay a lot of money for these memories, it's SO important to keep to your at home schedules or what do you expect but some meltdowns/tantrums from time to time. I hope that little girl had some magical times that will outweigh her spanking memory.

I agree that this situation sounds a lot different - but keep in mind that not all 'meltdowns' are a result of being pushed too hard by parents.

We were at WDW 2 years ago - my 'spirited' (although I don't agree with the word really) dd was almost 3 at the time. The day we arrived, we got to our room at POP and proceeded to let the kids take a 2 hour nap. Upon waking, we had a nice snack and proceeded to the MK bus to go for Spectro that night. Here we are in line for MK and the kids want a drink so I pull out our water bottle. DD starts insisting that she wants juice (I NEVER carry juice in the backpack so it was all for the 'audience' of the others in line, she KNEW there was no juice to be had). I explained that we only had water and she had a COMPLETE meltdown. I am positive that many parents in line thought that we were likely pushing her by 'making' her go back to the parks when she was 'obviously exhausted' - but what they didn't know was that she was fully rested and had food in her belly and hadn't walked more than a little bit in the airport that day. She was just putting on a show for everyone to see. And we chose to ignore her - since she wasn't hurting anyone or ruining a show or anything (if we're in a show or attraction we would have pulled her out to be considerate, but in line - no biggie). In 5 or 10 minutes, she settled down and calmly asked for some water.

Anyway, things aren't ALWAYS what they seem, and not all meltdowns at WDW are due to pushing parents.

I agree that this situation sounds a lot different - but keep in mind that not all 'meltdowns' are a result of being pushed too hard by parents.

We were at WDW 2 years ago - my 'spirited' (although I don't agree with the word really) dd was almost 3 at the time. The day we arrived, we got to our room at POP and proceeded to let the kids take a 2 hour nap. Upon waking, we had a nice snack and proceeded to the MK bus to go for Spectro that night. Here we are in line for MK and the kids want a drink so I pull out our water bottle. DD starts insisting that she wants juice (I NEVER carry juice in the backpack so it was all for the 'audience' of the others in line, she KNEW there was no juice to be had). I explained that we only had water and she had a COMPLETE meltdown. I am positive that many parents in line thought that we were likely pushing her by 'making' her go back to the parks when she was 'obviously exhausted' - but what they didn't know was that she was fully rested and had food in her belly and hadn't walked more than a little bit in the airport that day. She was just putting on a show for everyone to see. And we chose to ignore her - since she wasn't hurting anyone or ruining a show or anything (if we're in a show or attraction we would have pulled her out to be considerate, but in line - no biggie). In 5 or 10 minutes, she settled down and calmly asked for some water.

Anyway, things aren't ALWAYS what they seem, and not all meltdowns at WDW are due to pushing parents.

I agree with you. Things aren't always what they seem. You have no idea what type of temperment that child has, or how much she tested the parents all day- at home or at Disney. If she was falling asleep at the table, then yes she probably was overtired. But I hear this type of blanket opinion posted here regularly. I have 2 kids-- 1 is an angel & the other might just need that spanking to behave properly. You just never know! :confused:

True. all meltdowns are not due to "pushy" parents. But in the case the OP mentioned, I don't think the parents behavior helped the situation. My DD is the QUEEN of drama LOL, but I don't remove her and then return loudly announcing that I had just spanked her "really hard". In my opinion child "drama" is one thing, Parent "drama" is quite another.

I agree, that if that was the whole story and the case, then it is very unfortunate (especially about spanking or even saying that she spanked the child out loud.) I personally don't spank, but if someone else chooses to, that's there choice as long as it doesn't cross any lines, but announcing to everyone that she "spanked the child very hard" is pretty unsettling. I have to agree though, that not everything is as it seems. I have a DS 6 and a DD 17 months. My DS is pretty well behaved and listen's pretty well, and never really screamed his head off as a baby, however my 17 month old DD is sooo stubborn. We were at Disney about a month ago, and I'm sure there were times that ppl thought I was the worse mother in the world. She gets very very upset at anything that doesn't go her way or with anything that she wants and can't have. I've found basically the best thing to do is ignore her (she literally screams louder and louder if you try to talk to her or cuddle her.) This scenario does seem like the child was just very tired, and the parent should have probably taken the child home, but I agree that not all scenes are as they seem.

That is so sad! We just got back from the world in late August I have a 3 yr old DD and 1 yr old DS, we just took our time didn't rush. It was no biggie. My DD doesn't take naps at all (at least not for me! LOL) so we didn't go back to the room for any naptime and my little man is like his daddy he can fall asleep anywhere! And we didn't have any problems. I think that may have had something do with the aurora of Disney! ;) I do think that a place like Disney can be overstimulating for some kiddos. And sadly I think that some parents can make things worse. I know that my DD has been a bear and I've made things worse rather than better.

the other might just need that spanking to behave properly. You just never know! :confused:

Not to be rude, but I think that the OP's point is that some of us do know :thumbsup2 Spanking is 100% off limits for me, and I have a two year old who is often like a little monkey, and the opposite of her big sister. Beating a child in the bathroom at Disney World is so low that it makes me sick.

Not to be rude, but I think that the OP's point is that some of us do know :thumbsup2 Spanking is 100% off limits for me, and I have a two year old who is often like a little monkey, and the opposite of her big sister. Beating a child in the bathroom at Disney World is so low that it makes me sick.

Good for you--that you know what is right for you & your family...others can & domake their own rules (& mistakes).

I agree that we don't always know the whole story and to judge the parents without knowing what's going on isn't right either.

Last trip, my ds5 took a full blown tantrum at Le Cellier of all places - the meal I had been looking forward to for 6 months. He whined and cried and I did take him to the bathroom and spanked him. Didn't help at all, he came back and whined and cried some more. Finally, I removed him from the restaurant and we went outside until he calmed down - by the time we came back, my steak had been cleared from the table half eaten. I did get to enjoy the dessert.

So, was he overtired and exhausted. Maybe, but that wasn't what was wrong with him. No, he was crying because we forgot to pick up some toy he wanted in the gift shop at Mission Space.

I agree with others that it's very 'glass house' to judge how a parent handles their child.

However, what I do find very disturbing about the incident is the mother loudly announcing - as if she was pleased with herself, or others will be impressed - that she "spanked her really hard". That just makes me sad, and honestly, I probably would have made a comment about how very proud she should be for taking the time to hit her kid during dinner.

Did the OP say that the child was "beaten" in the bathroom?
A spanking is NOT the same as being "beaten". :sad2:

I agree that this particular mother should not have reacted the way she did. Announcing for all to hear, about what she did in the bathroom. I'm sure she has her issues. All I was trying to say is that sometimes we just don't know the extenuating circumstances when we see situations at Disney.

we're a non-physical discipline household with four kids with a wide array of personality (right from total angel through to willful, stubborn and determined firey one!)

I have to address the whole fact she announced what she'd done loudly- it sounds to me like a very stressed, very embarrassed and self conscious person who'd do that. My guess would be her child is one who acts out regularly and mom often gets "those parent" type stares where you can (and do) hear people mutter how the child needs a good spank/slap etc and so in her embarrassment she felt obliged to vocalise the fact she does discipline- my guess would be she was really embarrassed and somehow thought she'd make better face for herself by pointing out she was in control (albeit a very misguided attempt at that)

My middle two can be hard going to take out, our 5 year old is ASD and also dyspraxic- he's very tactile, emotional, and can look like we can't handle him- he's never aggressive but he's also prone to dropping to the floor sobbing at trigger words (dead, headlice, phone, bike, bum- there's a big long list) he looks entirely normal and I can't even begin to tell you the amount of times I've heard how he needs a good spanking etc- if i wasn't such a "water off a ducks back" person I can see I'd feel alot of social pressure to save face when he has an episode in public. I'm probably the woman who gets talked about by people for "pandering" to a 7/8 year old child having a hissy fit when in actual fact I'm reasoning with my rather large 5 year old autistic son over the fact he's heard someone say phone rather than telephone... first impressions aren't always true picture of family life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter