A Request for the Family Board

BethR

<font color=red>On Thread Killer Patrol<br><font c
Many of you have noted that some boards - the Family Board being one of them - are run fairly loosely. If something pertains to Families, topics are usually permitted to remain here AS LONG AS PEOPLE ARE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

Saying that, there are definately "Hot Button Topics" that, no matter how things start out, no matter the request for no debates, no matter the request for no flames, things get ugly.

We would hate to have to "crack down" on this board and to move every off topic post to a more appropriate board or to have to close down potentially volatile discussions.

So do you think that perhaps, to keep things friendly and flexible on the Family Board, that we could restrain from posting topics that can turn into debates? Or if someone unknowingly does post a topic that can turn nasty, that instead of egging people on ("Please pass the popcorn,") that you report the thread to the moderators? In case you don't know, you can do this by clicking on the little yellow triangle that is to the left of each post.

Thanks for doing everything that you can to make the Family Board and the DIS as a whole a nice, friendly place to spend time. :)

BethR

BethR is ABSOLUTELY correct! :flower:

This board has become more than just discussing WDW trips which I think is great.It's a little community here.

I would hate to see that disappear!

Beth,
Maybe we need a list of hot button topics as a sticky at the top! I always feel bad for the people that innocently post requesting info on say in room babysitters or something and get jumped on.

I think a good reminder to people would be to check a person's post count too when addressing some of these topics to see that perhaps the person is new and hasn't been researching their Disney trip for 3 years like some of us.

Well, I find it frustrating to have to wade through half of the topics on this board because they are off-topic. Why bother having the community board, the transportation board, etc, if people can just plop an off-topic thread here?

Thanks, Beth, I really appreciate the way this board is run.

However, I hope that we aren't going to run into a situation where any perceived "hot" topic is immediately shut down. Some topics, like breastfeeding in the parks, are always going to draw a few flamers, but in fact it is an issue that will always loom large for nursing mothers wanting to plan a trip and this board is a great place to have questions answered about it.

I appreciate a few family-related OT threads being allowed... the the community board a nice idea in theory but it has turned into a bit of a mosh pit the last couple years.....

(on edit) On further thought on the subject of "hot topics" I think I know what you mean. For instance, a thread titled, "Can I get some advice on in-room babysitting?" is fine while a thread titled "I can't understand how anyone could ever leave their precious children with a stranger!" is probably not. :)

Jen D said:
Thanks, Beth, I really appreciate the way this board is run.

However, I hope that we aren't going to run into a situation where any perceived "hot" topic is immediately shut down. Some topics, like breastfeeding in the parks, are always going to draw a few flamers, but in fact it is an issue that will always loom large for nursing mothers wanting to plan a trip and this board is a great place to have questions answered about it.

I appreciate a few family-related OT threads being allowed... the the community board a nice idea in theory but it has turned into a bit of a mosh pit the last couple years.....

(on edit) On further thought on the subject of "hot topics" I think I know what you mean. For instance, a thread titled, "Can I get some advice on in-room babysitting?" is fine while a thread titled "I can't understand how anyone could ever leave their precious children with a stranger!" is probably not. :)

:rotfl: All right, you def. got a giggle out of me!

I like the diversity of this board. The CB runs so fast, that a topic can be lost in hours instead of staying at a simmer here while it is discussed. Of course there are assuredly hot topics, sometimes started just to get someone's ire up. I am personally trying not to fan the flames. It is sometimes hard because family issues hit the core oftentimes!

It think this board is run well, and appreciate the reminder!

BethR said:
So do you think that perhaps, to keep things friendly and flexible on the Family Board, that we could restrain from posting topics that can turn into debates?

Thanks for the mod work that you do Beth. If there are specific problems, maybe you could mention them. So often when there is a general, nonspecific warning it goes right past the intended audience. I'm guessing that mods also PM guilty parties as needed.

I think that disneymom3 has a good idea. Maybe a stickie with hot topics and point them to threads that may already have answered their question.

New folks that wander in asking about using a baby leash in the park are not likely doing this just to start a debate. And when people have legitimate questions about nursing, babysitting, etc. and others hijack the thread to belittle parents who "do such a thing" -- are those specific posts addressed or is it a matter of shutting the whole thread down? I ask because I really don't know how much time you have to spend being a moderator. And, no, I am NOT volunteering. Just appreciating the mods we have.

Listing" HOT TOPS"...hmmm that could be sort of tough! Sometimes the least little thing can become a hot topic! :earseek: Alot of topics start out fine.A person looking for some opinions from people who visit WDW.Then before you know it someone has thrown an attack in here or there on someones parenting skills and WHOOSH...it's up in flames! :rolleyes:

just Kim.... are those specific posts addressed or is it a matter of shutting the whole thread down?
So many times we Mods post warnings and they are just ignored so we lock the thread.

We are all volunteers here,I've been a Mod for over 6 years and BethR and BethE probably 5 years.We can't be online 24/7/365 .We have to trust the good people that visit the DIS will be respectful of others...if someone has a problem PM one of the Mods for a board...we will get to it ASAP.But as I said we aren't on here 24/7/365.

Here's a few that get torched alot!

HOT TOPICS

Should I take my kids out of school to go to WDW?

What age is the right age for a child's first trip to WDW?

Breast feeding in the parks?

Should I use a child leash in the parks?

Here's a some of the DIS GUIDELINES that pertain to this subject:

3. NO FIGHTING: Several Internet news groups are marred by the actions of a few selfish people who turn an otherwise positive forum into a soap box for their anger issues. Internet newsgroups are not moderated, and therefore, anything goes. These boards are moderated in an effort to keep the discussions appropriate to the topic at hand. Those who feel they can not abide by these rules are welcome to read the posts on the board, and respond via email to the person who posted the message. Messages that are argumentative or sarcastic in nature will be deleted without discussion.

4. NO PERSONAL MESSAGES: These boards are not for exchanging personal messages with friends. For that, we suggest you use email or our Private Message system. If you have a personal comment for that person, please direct it to them via email or PM. If the use of the boards for personal messages continues, those messages will be deleted. Remember, if the message is not intended for EVERYONE, it does not belong on the boards!

my 2 cents. this is my favorite board because I don't know where else to post things! I usually have to wait until late when the kids are in bed and so I'm already tired when I start in. . .

all that to say this. this is a great place And wonderfully moderated (unlike some other places I found surfing around!)

I'm new and I can see myself wondering into nearly all those topics innocently but don't you think they all deserve attention and opinions. after all, that's what we come here for right?

thanks for the tip about the yellow triangle thingy too.

so. . .I'm heading off to the parks next week to nurse my baby (where? I'll never tell!) with an obnoxiously big double stroller (which I will not use as a battering ram) while my school age kids miss some workbook time (but than again we homeschool <grin>) AND just to be fair, my 24 and 18 year olds have to stay home this time (they've been so often!), just bringing my 13, 10, 2.5, and 5 month old along (all of which are the perfect age for Disney!)

Even I won't touch the leash topic!

so sorry! ~~hehehe~~ I just couldn't resist! Disney is such a HAPPY place! Even the DISboards!

kileybeth said:
my 2 cents. this is my favorite board because I don't know where else to post things! I usually have to wait until late when the kids are in bed and so I'm already tired when I start in. . .

all that to say this. this is a great place And wonderfully moderated (unlike some other places I found surfing around!)

I'm new and I can see myself wondering into nearly all those topics innocently but don't you think they all deserve attention and opinions. after all, that's what we come here for right?

thanks for the tip about the yellow triangle thingy too.

so. . .I'm heading off to the parks next week to nurse my baby (where? I'll never tell!) with an obnoxiously big double stroller (which I will not use as a battering ram) while my school age kids miss some workbook time (but than again we homeschool <grin>) AND just to be fair, my 24 and 18 year olds have to stay home this time (they've been so often!), just bringing my 13, 10, 2.5, and 5 month old along (all of which are the perfect age for Disney!)

Even I won't touch the leash topic!

so sorry! ~~hehehe~~ I just couldn't resist! Disney is such a HAPPY place! Even the DISboards!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

kileybeth said:
Oh my gawd, you are evil incarnate. :rotfl:

:Pinkbounc :rotfl: OK, so just call me an idiot now....I thought this post was onthe budget board!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter