A request regarding handicapped stalls

heck- i will go one step further and ask you not use the stalls at all. There is nothing more frustrating for a person with a disability to go in and have to wait for a stall while all the other stalls are empty- now if they are all full another story but while it isn't ideal to take a little one in a single stall, it is the polite thing to do.

I disagree. I think the larger stalls are a godsend for those with children in strollers. I think that if there is a disabled person in line who needs that stall, the polite thing to do is to let them use it. But why not use it otherwise? It is not reserved like a handicaped parking spot. It shouldn't have to sit there empty while a mom tries to manover her little one into a small stall with her.

I disagree. I think the larger stalls are a godsend for those with children in strollers. I think that if there is a disabled person in line who needs that stall, the polite thing to do is to let them use it. But why not use it otherwise? It is not reserved like a handicaped parking spot. It shouldn't have to sit there empty while a mom tries to manover her little one into a small stall with her.

Amen...I have 3 that still need my help and of course they all have to go at the same time LOL I have to use the handicap stalls when I go as well, can't very well leave them out in the open area while I go tinkle LOL

So if you ever hear a woman saying "FACE THE WALL" it's me.....trying to get a little privacy...LOL

Oh and the comment on the Clorox wipes and using the ones without bleach....we always wipe the toilet and sides down with the wipe, count to 10 then wipe it off with a bit of toilet paper. That way they aren't sitting their hiney on a wet seat that might irritate their skin. It's dry at that point, so I don't think it would pose a problem bleaching someones clothing or anything. Maybe we'll try Lysol wipes or something this next year though?

I was the person who brought up using the stalls- i should have clarified and stated without strollers since obviously i understand no one is going ot leave their little ones unattended. But if it is just a matter of potty training your little one which can take ages and you have no other children in a stroller- please don't take them up. I can't tell you how many tines we have thought my mom has fallen in at Disney because he is waiting for a potty training child.

I was the person who brought up using the stalls- i should have clarified and stated without strollers since obviously i understand no one is going ot leave their little ones unattended. But if it is just a matter of potty training your little one which can take ages and you have no other children in a stroller- please don't take them up. I can't tell you how many tines we have thought my mom has fallen in at Disney because he is waiting for a potty training child.

I will say one thing, the regular stalls are just big enough for one person, let alone two. so if my kids have to go, we use the big stall, even if we have no stroller, I refuse to squeeze into a regular stall so I can help them and have my face in a toilet, and my whole self rubbing up the sides of the stalls while I try to help.
nope nope nope,
we will always use the big stall.
I don't get why this is such a big deal. if the stall is available and someone needs it, someone with kids or disabled, they should use it. period.

I just don't get it. This is such a pet peeve of mine, 100 times more since I have small children. You don't sprinkle when you tinkle on the seat at home and leave it. Why is it OK in public? If everyone cleaned up after themselves, there'd be no need to squat in the first place.

If nobody squated, there'd be nothing to clean up! ;)

I will say one thing, the regular stalls are just big enough for one person, let alone two. so if my kids have to go, we use the big stall, even if we have no stroller, I refuse to squeeze into a regular stall so I can help them and have my face in a toilet, and my whole self rubbing up the sides of the stalls while I try to help.
nope nope nope,
we will always use the big stall.
I don't get why this is such a big deal. if the stall is available and someone needs it, someone with kids or disabled, they should use it. period.

Right there with ya. I can't tell you how many times I have almost knocked myself out on something sticking out of the wall while I'm trying to wipe & re-clothe my child.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7vC8IipWmA

I thought some of you might get a kick out this clip.

To the person who said we might be mistaking flush water for pee, I can tell the difference between flush spray and urine. People are just gross and there is no way of getting around that fact. People change babies on tables, let their kids pee in public and mess on the toilet seats. It is quite depressing to think these people vote.

oh, and please don't start another handicap stall argument as there is already a long and interesting thread on that topic

It's not just kids that do this!! I went into a handicapped stall with my two DDs last Disney trip after a woman with a walker came out.
She had peed all over the seat!
So don't blame this all on the kids.
I cleaned up her mess.
-Sarah

I always carry wipes anyway. My youngest sons can't hover yet, and they aren't tall enough for the wall urinals. I'll be so glad when they can use them....I hate that they have to sit on a toilet everytime just to pee.

OT and copied from another forum:

1. News item: Man taken to hospital with toilet seat stuck to his backside, some prankster had put "crazy glue" on the seat.

2. Sign in a restroom in the back of a bus, icon of standing man with derby hat* superimposed with red circle with line through middle. Icon with sitting man without such red circle. (Do Magical Express buses have this?)

3. (for women) How many times at home do you curse because the toilet seat was left up?

* So you can't possibly read between the lines that the icon should represent a pant suited woman.

I think a lot will disagree, since the stall is accessable, but not designated just for the disabled. While I'll never use it if it's just me, if I have children with me, I will, and I've waited my turn for it when I had strollers.

I have to agree - I don't go in the large stall by myself unless it's the only one available, but if it's free and I'm with my daughter, we use that stall. Currently I'm 7 months pregnant and some regular stalls are already quite small for 2 people (even when one is a toddler), so if there's something that gives me more room, I don't see a reason why not to take it just in CASE a person with a disability will need it right then. We all have to wait occasionally for stalls, so I don't think it should be that big of a deal.

On the hand of cleaning up after yourselves, it is GROSS when people don't in ANY bathroom and I fully agree that there's NO reason not to just clean it up!

Strangely enough, we used the companion/family-style type bathrooms when we could on our WDW trip last week and some of them were even worse than the regular bathrooms - maybe they just weren't cleaned as often or something, but some were terrible.

I agree...everyone needs to clean up after themselves--young and old! Abled and disabled (and if a disabled person is not able to, fine...but then they should notify someone who has the ability to assure that the stall is cleaned up).

It's not just kids that do this!! I went into a handicapped stall with my two DDs last Disney trip after a woman with a walker came out.
She had peed all over the seat!
So don't blame this all on the kids.
I cleaned up her mess.
-Sarah

heck- i will go one step further and ask you not use the stalls at all. There is nothing more frustrating for a person with a disability to go in and have to wait for a stall while all the other stalls are empty- now if they are all full another story but while it isn't ideal to take a little one in a single stall, it is the polite thing to do.

I had a bad experience at our last trip in regards to this. There was a huge line for the bathroom, and I had my three kids with me. When our turn came up, it was because a single, non-handicapped woman came out of the larger stall. I went in-it was that or take up three regular stalls because the four of us wouldn't fit in one. One of them had a stomach ache, and we took a while. Someone wheeled an elderly woman into the restroom and had to wait for the stall we were in. After a couple of minutes, I heard the younger woman telling her child about selfish people, and how whoever was in the stall was the definition of selfish. I thought that was incredibly rude! 1) I waited in line too 2) Four people willing to share, rather than take up the rest of the stalls at once 3) The stalls are not Handicap Only, they are Handicap Accessible. I totally sympathize with anyone in a wheelchair, and I was sorry to make the woman wait, but to embarrass me in front of an entire restroom was awful. Did she want to me to yank my sick child from the toilet and wait in line again? Being a nice person, I apologized when we walked out, and got an extremely nasty look in return.

Unfortunately the handicap stalls are the only ones with a baby changing table usually. This forces many families to wait for the stall along with the handicap person requiring the extra space.

I would also like to point out that needing to use a handicap stall (for any reason) does not mean that a person shouldn't have to wait. I have friends with all levels of abilities and I work with disabled people all the time. Most of them agree that they should wait in line just like every other person waiting for a restroom stall to open. If a person can't stand safely for the time it requires to wait, then maybe that person needs to consider assistive devices. I find it hard to believe that a person can navigate Disney without any trouble, but then standing 10-15min. is what is unbearable. A little bit of consideration from everyone along with common courtesy goes a long ways :thumbsup2

I had a bad experience at our last trip in regards to this. There was a huge line for the bathroom, and I had my three kids with me. When our turn came up, it was because a single, non-handicapped woman came out of the larger stall. I went in-it was that or take up three regular stalls because the four of us wouldn't fit in one. One of them had a stomach ache, and we took a while. Someone wheeled an elderly woman into the restroom and had to wait for the stall we were in. After a couple of minutes, I heard the younger woman telling her child about selfish people, and how whoever was in the stall was the definition of selfish. I thought that was incredibly rude! 1) I waited in line too 2) Four people willing to share, rather than take up the rest of the stalls at once 3) The stalls are not Handicap Only, they are Handicap Accessible. I totally sympathize with anyone in a wheelchair, and I was sorry to make the woman wait, but to embarrass me in front of an entire restroom was awful. Did she want to me to yank my sick child from the toilet and wait in line again? Being a nice person, I apologized when we walked out, and got an extremely nasty look in return.

I know you can't always know these things ahead of time, but if you know you will be a while, may I suggest that you not use the handicapped stall? For some people, those are the only stalls they can use. It is not like they can just go in whatever stall opens up. Again, especially with kids, I know you can't always predict how long a potty stop will take. But IF you know you are going to be a long while, I don't think taking the only available handicapped stall is the thing to do. But I don't think you were being selfish, or deserved to be yelled at either.

I would also like to point out that needing to use a handicap stall (for any reason) does not mean that a person shouldn't have to wait. I have friends with all levels of abilities and I work with disabled people all the time. Most of them agree that they should wait in line just like every other person waiting for a restroom stall to open.

A little bit of consideration from everyone along with common courtesy goes a long ways :thumbsup2

Hear hear!

An accessible stall is simply that -- an accessible stall. It is not an exemption from waiting stall.

(And incidentally, the reality is that should person with a clear need for an accessible stall enter a crowded restroom, the people on line would automatically stand aside so that they could take the accessible stall as soon as it became available. So even in the case of a very crowded restroom, that person would still need only to wait for the one person already in the stall to be finished before the stall was available to them.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter