A restaurant you weren't expecting much from but were pleasantly surprised

Chef Mickey's.

We have eaten here 3 times. Once for breakfast and twice for dinner. I was nervous for our first dinner after so many horrible reviews on here. Well it was a great meal. The food was hot, fresh, tasty and the buffet area was kept clean and orderly. The place is loud and chaotic but I didn't find the food awful or disgusting or inedible.

Adding a second one that I just remembered...San Angel Inn. My aunt and I went last January. I had heard way more negative reviews than positive, but we really wanted to start Drinking Around the World with a solid meal, and we were starting in Mexico. I was pleasantly surprised! It ended up being a solidly good meal, and I wouldn't mind going back again.

Coral Reef. I don't eat fish-fish, but I will eat shellfish on occasion. I had decided to change from a cruise to a land-based vacation for Feb Break 2018 well after the 180 days, so my choices were somewhat limited in terms of some ADRs - like the Disney On Broadway dining package. Not knowing how popular those concerts were but knowing I wanted to see it for sure, I happily used 2 credits for it. And timing-wise, Coral Reef was about the only option that fit into my timing. Plus the fact that they have a gluten-free chocolate dessert on the regular menu (The Chocolate Wave), I was all in.

And then I started seeing the reviews and complaints. But I decided to give it a try for myself, and I'm so glad I did. I was seated almost immediately on checking in and had wonderful service. The lobster bisque, shrimp and grits, and the Chocolate Wave were all delicious!!!!

Tutto Italia in Epcot definitely. Our past two trips we have booked this place and both times its the same great service and food. Food is hot and fresh, service was fantastic both times, managers coming around checking to make sure everything is up to par, A/C running perfect temp. Last one is a joke but true in a sense. Was kind of agitated my brother picked this place on a whim for our first trip but it has become a solid staple now and will get picked next trip also.

Yak n Yeti. Never that impressed with Landry restaurants before but, when we finally tried it, it became a favorite.

Jungle Skipper Canteen. Initial reviews weren’t great so I hesitated but it is our favorite MK restaurant.

Past trip: Sci-Fi Drive-In The kids wanted to go so I booked it last year. From the reviews I wasn't expecting much but the burgers were really good as was the spinach and artichoke dip. The kids loved their milk shakes. Now every trip I try without success to snag a reservation.

This past trip(two weeks ago): Nine Dragons. My wife and son walked in on our trip in June without a reservation and they raved about it. The review and word of mouth are not great but we booked it for the whole family this trip and it was very good. The Jasmine Blackberry Ice tea is very refreshing on a hot day and it was literally some of the best Kung Pao Chicken I have had.

Pinocchio Village Haus - were looking for a QS for lunch and had tried the others. Wasn't expecting a lot, but their flat breads were very good. My wife had their seasonal one and was really happy with it.
I forgot about that! I remember it was late one night and this was one of the last places open - we grudgingly tried it - not expecting much and ended up really liking those flatbreads too.

Tokyo Dining for us. I had very little expectations since you never hear anything about it and we were shocked at how good the Sushi was. We found it on par with California Grill and half the price. Their tempura was great too. It's now part of our regular rotation

Add me to the Hollywood and Vine crowd too!

We had heard terrible things about the food, but a few years ago they did a Jedi Mickey dinner, where the characters were dressed in Star Wars costumes. We're big Star Wars fans so we figured what the heck, even if the food isn't great it'll be fun to see the characters. The food was actually really good. The desserts were a bit blah, but no different than what I've had at dessert parties in the past. The entrees, though, were really quite good. And the character interactions were so much fun. Years later and we still talk wistfully about that meal.

We've been back (when the characters were in Christmas costumes) and the food was more average, so maybe food quality varies?

Grand Floridian Cafe breakfast and The Wave dinner.

I didn't like dinner at GFC, but the breakfast seemed nice and fit into our plans, so I booked it and I absolutely loved it. The Wave was a last-minute ADR when plans got cancelled day of, so we weren't expecting much-- we loved our meals!

I was going to say the same thing!

We went to Crystal Palace for dinner last month...I was surprised at the variety and quality of their offerings. We're in no rush to go back or anything, but it definitely exceeded my expectations.

Tokyo Dining! DH and I tried it on a "no kids" trip for something new, and we loved it! Food was great and had an amazing view of people strolling World Showcase. We are eating there again in Feb, but also bringing DS this time!

The Wave dinner and Nine Dragons lunch. The Wave has become our favorite restaurant. Not sure I will go back to Nine Dragons soon, but I went in expecting it to not be good (went with a Chinese friend who had never been to Disney and she wanted to eat there), but it was surprisingly delicious. There are lots of other choices at Epcot that I like more though.

Teppan Edo. The reviews go on and on about how this is a standard Hibachi restaurant that you could go to in your own town...DH picked it for lunch and I went along, thinking it would be ok. It was great! The quality was excellent and the food was delicious. We had a really fun time. The seating is communal, but you can interact with other guests as little or as much as you want, because the chef is putting on a show and because the set up allows you to hang out with your own group if you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter