A Sensible Dinner - Pearlieq's Journal

Hi pearlieq!

It's great to "see" you!:banana: I'm glad to hear that your mom can retire early. I hope that helps her out. I know that these health issues have been difficult for you both. I am praying that healthy and happier days are ahead!:hug:

Great job on your holiday shopping and on the Fiber One bars deal! :santa:

I hope you have a great week ahead. I'll be praying!:hug:

Hi Pearlie,

That is good your mom retired. I think enough is enough! Hopefully she can mkae ends meet, that is so often the challenge with people who get sick and it just adds to the whole issue. So I am going to say a prayer for that too!

That is great you and your husband are doing your own little book club. And turning off the tv is also great. Its funny, during the holidays Dan and I swear off tv, too much to do, we like to sit by the tree and just talk, but come January its back to the tube. Maybe I need to have a designated no fly zone with our tv one or two nights a week!

I LOVE Fiber One bars too. I agree, they taste way too good to be healthy. Way to go with the Chrismtas shopping. I need to go to Big Lots. Sounds like you got some good stuff.

Hang in there and keep up the good work. I love it, too cheap to be overweight! :rotfl:

Hi pearlieq~

I want to stop by and wish you, your DH, and your mom a Happy Thanksgiving!:goodvibes You are all in my thoughts and prayers.:grouphug:

Quickly catching up a bit.....

Congrats on the Weight Loss Milestone!! That's really an awesome happening!

I'm right there with you on the Fiber One bars. I have a secret stash in a square plastic container in my bedroom....probably at least as many as you have!! Bought on sale with really good coupons! I still love the chocolate most!

I'm glad your mom is able to retire & hope she can enjoy life a bit yet. So hard for both of you!

Kudos to your DH, too! Definitely needs some new threads, tho!

Happy New Year, Pearlie! Hope all is well with you & your family!

We miss you here!! Praying for you all!

Happy New Year Pearlieq! You are always in my thoughts, hope your mom is doing well. We miss you!

Amy

Thinking about you, Praying for you & pushing you back to the top so we don't lose you!!!

Hope all is well......

Thinking about you and your mom. I hope your holidays were good. Did you decide on which trips you are doing this year? ::MickeyMo::MickeyMo

Hi!

I just got done with a big part of a huge work project, and I'm celebrating by taking the night off and just doing fun things.

So, in that spirit, I thought I'd come see about everyone here.

Things are all right with me. Not great, but not too bad either.

My mom is getting by. She was in the hospital for about 10 days in late Jan/early Feb with pressure sores and some new cancer in her shoulder. She refused to go to rehab afterwards and insisted on coming home, which was just awful. She couldn't really take care of herself, so her roommate and I were unceremoniously thrust into the role of full-time caregivers. It was pretty awful for a few weeks, and if we ever find ourselves in that situation again I will do everything in my power to steer her into rehab.

The worst seems to be over now--she's gained a lot of her independence back, which lightens the load on me a bit. She's still not driving, but hopefully that will come soon. She's getting more used to the idea that her current living situation isn't going to work indefinitely, and even asked to go look at assisted living places. I don't think she's going to make a move soon unless she has to, but at least the groundwork is laid.

I'm coping. Some days are better than others.

DH took a new job in January, and this one is working out really well, with the tiny exception of him traveling 3-5 days every week. In all honestly, though, it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I kind of like having my weeknights to myself. The pace of life is much more hectic, but he really likes his work and that makes a big difference for us.

DH actually has a convention at WDW in mid-April and I'm going to tag along on that. I cannot wait--I'm going to have a whole week off! No mom, no work, no household responsibitilies. Just relaxation. I'm so excited!

A couple of weeks after that we're still tentatively planning to take Mom to WDW. So far things are looking good, so as long as our luck holds I think we'll be able to make it. Here's hoping!

Health and weight-wise, things are largely the same--not worse, and not really better. I'm staring down the barrel of 30 this fall, and I need to get my can in gear. I don't want to end up like my mom.

I hope everyone here is happy and healthy. Sending lots of love and :wizard: to everyone!

Pearlieq! I am so happy to see you! I am glad that in spite of some scary times, things with your mom are a bit more stable. I am so happy that you get to go to WDW and spend some time relaxing and am really keeping my fingers crossed that your trip with her works out. AKV looks so nice!:thumbsup2

Its funny, Dan travelled to San Diego 3-4 days a week and like you, it was so much better than I thought. If the job is good, its easy enough to make those adjustments. And if your husband gets to fly, ff miles are great to have!

I remember staring down the barrel of 30! You have so much going on so just take the little steps that you can, when you can, it all adds up. I know you ca do it and I know you will.

Know that I am always thinking of you and keeping you and your mom in my prayers. I know that road you are on sweetie and it isn't easy. We miss you around here but know how busy you are. And always look forward to when you stop by to update us and say hi!:grouphug::):goodvibes

Good morning, Pearlieq!:goodvibes

It's so nice to see you ol' friend.:hug: I am glad that you were able to take some time away from things for a moment to stop and "see" us.

Thankfully, you have made it through some tough times lately. I agree with you on the rehab though. It is amazing how much that can help and they can show the person needing rehab how to get around things and become more independent faster. Hopefully, you won't have to go down that road again. It must be a bit of a relief to hear that your mom is considering the option that she may eventually have to move. Although that may not be any time soon, it would be a wise idea if you start researching some places just so that you can weed out the ones that are not acceptable and you can find out who has a wait list and how long it is. It may sound like just one more thing to do, but DH and I have been down this road a few times and having a good idea of where to go and which places to avoid sure does make things easier if you do reach the point of needing a to move your mom.

On another note, it is great to hear that you DH has a new job that he enjoys. It's good to hear that you were able to make the adjustment better than you originally thought. Time away from your DH can be a good thing. Not only do you get the time to unwind and relax, but you can have more fun enjoying those moments when he is home.

By the way, can you fit me into you suitcase when you go to WDW?:worship: It has been so tempting to buy more points so that we can go more often. After this winter, I'll bet you will be thrilled to get away to FL. Not to mention twice in a row.

I hear you about not wanting the same weight related problems that other family members have. For me, I am comparing myself to my grandmother. It is hard to focus on weight when you have caregiving responsibilities, but maybe you can make some small changes (one at a time) that will make a difference in you health in the long run. You and I started the challenge "together" and I know you can make the changes needed.

Come on back when you get a chance. Even if all you have time for is to vent a little, we are willing to listen. Take care!:hug:

It's so great to see you here, Pearlieq!!!:yay:

It sounds like you and your mom have had a rough couple of months. I'm glad to hear that she is doing better now and that she has been able to regain some of her independence back.:goodvibes

That is wonderful that your DH has a new job that he likes!:thumbsup2 And how cool is that that he is in my neck of the woods this week? :wave: We live about a half hour from Cleveland so I'm sure he is in the vicinity somewhere.

That is great that you have a WDW trip planned! It sounds like you could use a vacation and what better place that WDW? ::MickeyMo

You and your mom are in our thoughts and prayers. I hope you'll check back soon. We miss you around here!:hug:

Pearlie I am SO GLAD to 'see' you back here! You & your DH & mom have been in my prayers.

You really need that vacation to WDW & I hope you take full advantage of the time away!

Hope you get to pop in a bit more often. How are the kitties??

I could really use any mojo anyone's got to send our way!

We're supposed to head to WDW with Mom on Sunday, and things are looking iffy. Over the last couple of weeks her pain has really ramped up and the last couple of days have been bad. We see the doctor tomorrow, but we only have a couple more days before we have to make a go/no go decision.

I could really use any prayers and :wizard: anyone can spare. I can't tell you how badly we all want this, not only to make it there, but to have Mom be able to enjoy it.

I hope everyone is doing well!

Sorry to hear that things are not going well with your mom. Hopefully, she is feeling better soon and the dr. gives her the ok to go.

Sending lots of prayers and :wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard: your way.

Take care of yourself:hug: and remember, we are just a post away.

Oh Pearlieq,

Sending lots of prayers and :wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard: your way today. I hope your mom is feeling better soon and that you are all able to go to WDW.:grouphug:

Please update us when you can.:hug:

Thank you so much for the prayers and good wishes. It really makes a difference!

Yesterday was a long day with Mom, but ultimately an OK one. She had her appointment with the wound clinic who did debridement on her wound, which was very rough on her. It was really hard to watch her be in so much pain.

Worse, the doctor recommended that she not go to WDW. He thought that it was too risky with the extra activity of traveling and a different environment. He said that she took a chance on worsening her sores and developing new ones.

That really got Mom upset, and I was pretty shaken up too. However, we talked about it, and we decided to discuss it with the cancer center before making any final decision.

Her regular oncologist wasn't there, but the nurse practitioner, who we know pretty well, met with us. She strongly encouraged us to go ahead and go. She said (quite rightly, I think) that doing anything had a certain amount of risk in Mom's situation and she needed to go and do something to make her happy. Her quality of life is just as important as her physical health and that if any issues came up, we'd deal.

Mom and I both thought that was quite sensible, though we do understand that the wound care doctor was just trying to play it safe and didn't really know the particulars of Mom's situation. She's going to have her regular wheelchair and a hospital bed for our room, so the things that touch her body shouldn't be all that different from how it is at home. Plus, DH and I will both be there to look out for her.

So, after all that, we're on. Unless something terrible happens in the next couple of days, we're going to make the trip. It just was a very stressful day getting there.

I actually wound up having a bit of an anxiety attack at the cancer center because it just all caught up with me at once. But talking with them was really helpful and it helped me calm down a bit too.

In a way, I really needed this experience. Just a week ago, I was starting to feel like this trip was going to be a big hassle and was a bad idea. Now I get how truly precious this opportunity is and I'm starting to get a bit more zen about the whole thing. We've planned and prepared as much as we can, at this point what going to happen is going to happen. We just need to relax and roll with the punches.

Again, I really appreciate all the support. You guys are the best! :love:

Pearlieq: I don't know how I missed your update a few days ago, but I am so glad you decided to go! I am so glad you discussed it with the cancer center and in my opinion, a nurse practioner is the BEST person to talk with! Nurses seem to look at all the angles and can always offer so much good advice on a human and patient level. I am praying for a safe, healthy trip for your mom, I think this is just what she and you and your dh all need. So have fun, you have all the bases covered and I am betting your mom really perks up.

Have fun, you are always in my prayers and I am saying some extra ones that your trip is perfect for all three of you!:goodvibes:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter