A sentiment from years past, and now again, as 2023 winds to a close....

Dan Murphy

We are family.
I originally posted most of this back 18 years ago, New Year's Eve of 2005. Since then, I have dragged out the words I posted here to sort of make up a new thread, revised them a bit, adding whatever updates and a few thoughts from the current year. Except for a very few changes, same post.

(for those who have read this in past years, this below is pretty much of a repeat, with a few new thoughts added)

Over the past year, so much has again happened, for us, for others, here and worldwide. At this time, 12 months ago, we thought 2023 would hopefully see the end of COVID. Well, it’s still here, not as bad, but now seems like it will be around for a long time. There still is a real war going on in Europe with Russia still attacking Ukraine, now for almost two years. And another conflagration has again erupted in the Middle East. Hopefully, good and right will prevail in both areas of the world, someday peace.

Here on the dis, there have been parents, children, spouses, family members and friends some of us have lost over this past year. We miss all our dis friends who have passed over the years. For you, those left behind, our prayers of comfort follow you. For those dealing with aches, pains and serious ailments, our prayers are with you for improvement over the coming year. And we certainly continue to miss the many who are no longer here on the dis, for many and various reasons. That sadness is tempered a bit as we welcomed new dis babies along the way, new dis brides and grooms, new dis members to this little loony, often dysfunctional place on the Net. This place has many shortcomings, for sure, but still remains dear to me (sometimes I question that), and to many others, for various reasons. On the plus side, we have seen several very big, important changes here over the past year. And do expect more in the future. One of the big reasons (maybe the biggest) for me is the friendships I have made here over the past almost 25 years I've been here, having started my 'dis days' back in March of '99. However, I do miss many though, some immensely. Of the many, many who are no longer here, I do still keep in contact with a number of these great people.

On the personal front, my brother, Tom, passed away about two months ago. We are still holding at 5 grandkids, I'm pretty sure that’s it. Marie still loves getting Vince and Katlyn's Delaney all the girlie stuff, actually Stitch stuff over the past year. She and her bothers, Keegan and Griffin, along with their two cousins, Natalie's Jeremy and Christopher, bring much joy and many smiles to both Marie and me.

Marie is coming up in a month on the 26-year mark in remission from stage III breast cancer back in 1998. Our family trip to Disney World in '99 to celebrate Marie's return to health is what actually led me to this place, researching and planning our then upcoming trip. We both are another year older than we were last year, which we both will gladly settle for at our ages. I've now been retired three years from my 45-year financial planning career, enjoying not knowing Wednesdays from Saturdays.

As the year runs short of hours here, I would like to wish everyone here and elsewhere a very Happy, Healthy, Safe, Blessed and Good New Year.

Many of us became friends over the years here, having met in this crazy world we call....online; and have become cyber friends, buddies, online friends here on the dis. And, many of us have, over time, actually met up in real life and became real-life friends. And sometimes, very good real-life friends. It is a nice community, despite its shortcomings. And Lord knows it has many. But, as said, improvements seem to be here, and more coming.

Sure, there are arguments, name-calling, disagreements, I'm-going-to-take-a-break announcements, and what-have-you, but generally, in the end, still friends. Hopefully, all can be friends in 2024, making for an even better community. Pixie dust maybe, but hey, who knows? It would be great to see many who no longer can be here for various reasons, to again be here to share the friendships.

I hear this song every year at this time, thought it had some good things to say, some true things. Yeah, it's by that sort of ancient, cheesy group, ABBA (I really do like some of their music and sound), but still, give a listen, read the lyrics, I found they can ring so very true as we continue to grow older,....together

You and I can share the silence
Finding comfort together
The way old friends do

And after fights and words of violence
We make up with each other
The way old friends do

Times of joy and times of sorrow
We will always see it through
Oh I don't care what comes tomorrow
We can face it together
The way old friends do

Finding comfort together
The way old friends do

The way old friends do

We can face it together
The way old friends do

We can face it together
The way old friends do

--Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus

.......I like to think good things, good things that have been, good things that could be.

Anyway, enough of all that.............

Happy New Year, guys.

These thoughts still ring true.

Dan

PS: It is so nice to see those who have returned over this past 2023 year too, would love to see others in 2024. I have that now almost 18 year old Are You a dis Oldtimer (or New)? thread I posted years back linked in my signature. It is always nice, really nice, to see folks who have been missing for months or years pop back in to say hello. I smile when I see those people pop in for a hello, great memories. I wish others who can't pop in would be able to. Some I dearly miss, very, very much.

Again, a very Healthy, Happy and Good 2024 New Year wish to everyone.

New Year’s Prayer
by Charlotte Anselmo

Thank you Lord for giving me
The brand new year ahead
Help me live the way I should
As each new day I tread.

Give me gentle wisdom
That I might help a friend
Give me strength and courage
So a shoulder I might lend.

The year ahead is empty
Help me fill it with good things
Each new day filled with joy
And the happiness it brings.

Please give the leaders of our world
A courage born of peace
That they might lead us gently
And all the fighting cease.

Please give to all upon this earth
A heart that’s filled with love
A gentle happy way to live
With Your blessings from above

Dan,
You are indeed a DIS treasure as TB'sWidow just posted. I always look forward to your posts, as your sentiments are always so genuine. I'm sorry to hear about your brother Tom's passing, but I'm thankful that Marie is coming up on the 26'th year mark in remission.

May 2024 be a kinder, gentler year for everyone on these boards, and may it bring you and Marie and your family a year of health, peace and love.

Happy New Year!

I originally posted most of this back 18 years ago, New Year's Eve of 2005. Since then, I have dragged out the words I posted here to sort of make up a new thread, revised them a bit, adding whatever updates and a few thoughts from the current year. Except for a very few changes, same post.

(for those who have read this in past years, this below is pretty much of a repeat, with a few new thoughts added)

Over the past year, so much has again happened, for us, for others, here and worldwide. At this time, 12 months ago, we thought 2023 would hopefully see the end of COVID. Well, it’s still here, not as bad, but now seems like it will be around for a long time. There still is a real war going on in Europe with Russia still attacking Ukraine, now for almost two years. And another conflagration has again erupted in the Middle East. Hopefully, good and right will prevail in both areas of the world, someday peace.

Here on the dis, there have been parents, children, spouses, family members and friends some of us have lost over this past year. We miss all our dis friends who have passed over the years. For you, those left behind, our prayers of comfort follow you. For those dealing with aches, pains and serious ailments, our prayers are with you for improvement over the coming year. And we certainly continue to miss the many who are no longer here on the dis, for many and various reasons. That sadness is tempered a bit as we welcomed new dis babies along the way, new dis brides and grooms, new dis members to this little loony, often dysfunctional place on the Net. This place has many shortcomings, for sure, but still remains dear to me (sometimes I question that), and to many others, for various reasons. On the plus side, we have seen several very big, important changes here over the past year. And do expect more in the future. One of the big reasons (maybe the biggest) for me is the friendships I have made here over the past almost 25 years I've been here, having started my 'dis days' back in March of '99. However, I do miss many though, some immensely. Of the many, many who are no longer here, I do still keep in contact with a number of these great people.

On the personal front, my brother, Tom, passed away about two months ago. We are still holding at 5 grandkids, I'm pretty sure that’s it. Marie still loves getting Vince and Katlyn's Delaney all the girlie stuff, actually Stitch stuff over the past year. She and her bothers, Keegan and Griffin, along with their two cousins, Natalie's Jeremy and Christopher, bring much joy and many smiles to both Marie and me.

Marie is coming up in a month on the 26-year mark in remission from stage III breast cancer back in 1998. Our family trip to Disney World in '99 to celebrate Marie's return to health is what actually led me to this place, researching and planning our then upcoming trip. We both are another year older than we were last year, which we both will gladly settle for at our ages. I've now been retired three years from my 45-year financial planning career, enjoying not knowing Wednesdays from Saturdays.

As the year runs short of hours here, I would like to wish everyone here and elsewhere a very Happy, Healthy, Safe, Blessed and Good New Year.

Many of us became friends over the years here, having met in this crazy world we call....online; and have become cyber friends, buddies, online friends here on the dis. And, many of us have, over time, actually met up in real life and became real-life friends. And sometimes, very good real-life friends. It is a nice community, despite its shortcomings. And Lord knows it has many. But, as said, improvements seem to be here, and more coming.

Sure, there are arguments, name-calling, disagreements, I'm-going-to-take-a-break announcements, and what-have-you, but generally, in the end, still friends. Hopefully, all can be friends in 2024, making for an even better community. Pixie dust maybe, but hey, who knows? It would be great to see many who no longer can be here for various reasons, to again be here to share the friendships.

I hear this song every year at this time, thought it had some good things to say, some true things. Yeah, it's by that sort of ancient, cheesy group, ABBA (I really do like some of their music and sound), but still, give a listen, read the lyrics, I found they can ring so very true as we continue to grow older,....together

Finding comfort together
The way old friends do

The way old friends do

We can face it together
The way old friends do

Finding comfort together
The way old friends do

The way old friends do

We can face it together
The way old friends do

We can face it together
The way old friends do

--Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus

.......I like to think good things, good things that have been, good things that could be.

Anyway, enough of all that.............

Happy New Year, guys.

These thoughts still ring true.

Dan

PS: It is so nice to see those who have returned over this past 2023 year too, would love to see others in 2024. I have that now almost 18 year old Are You a dis Oldtimer (or New)? thread I posted years back linked in my signature. It is always nice, really nice, to see folks who have been missing for months or years pop back in to say hello. I smile when I see those people pop in for a hello, great memories. I wish others who can't pop in would be able to. Some I dearly miss, very, very much.

Again, a very Healthy, Happy and Good 2024 New Year wish to everyone.

New Year’s Prayer
by Charlotte Anselmo

Thank you Lord for giving me
The brand new year ahead
Help me live the way I should
As each new day I tread.

Give me gentle wisdom
That I might help a friend
Give me strength and courage
So a shoulder I might lend.

The year ahead is empty
Help me fill it with good things
Each new day filled with joy
And the happiness it brings.

Please give the leaders of our world
A courage born of peace
That they might lead us gently
And all the fighting cease.

Please give to all upon this earth
A heart that’s filled with love
A gentle happy way to live
With Your blessings from above
You're a good egg Dan. Very compassionate and full of empathy. That's a rare thing these days. My condolences on the loss of your sibling. Quite poignant as I am estranged from one of my sisters. Maybe I need to make contact. Happy New Year man, from the always crazy @Lord Manhammer

What a thoughtful sentiment, @Dan Murphy.

Never want to age anyone, but to me you are the CB Dad. You’re the calm voice of reason in the storm. The one to remind us of how lucky we are, and the one to discreetly put us in check when it’s needed.

The CB wouldn’t be the CB without you. :hug:

Happy New Year to you, and all my fellow Dis’ers.

(And my condolences on the loss of your brother.)

Diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in 2021.Tell Marie she gives me hope to hopefully see my own grandkids in the future!

This little DIS community is a bit crazy, but I sure do love it. Each of you are a part of my every day routine. ❤️

Dan,

This is such a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing!

Very sorry to hear of your brother’s passing. My condolences to you and your family. Always difficult to lose someone close to you. May the wonderful memories bring you comfort and peace.

Happy New Year to all here!
Such a fun group of people!
All the best for 2024!

Hi Dan, I don't think I've ever commented on any of your posts but I really appreciate all you do for the DIS. For as long as I've been here, you've been making these sorts of posts and sharing your kind words & optimism here. You always seem to know exactly what to say. I'm so very sorry to hear about your brother. Thank you for yet another lovely post-- wishing you and your family a happy, healthy, and joyful 2024 :hug:

Again, a very Happy New year for everyone. And thank you for your thoughts and condolences on my brother's passing, very much appreciated

And thanks for your various thoughts and comments, warms an old guy's heart here.

@fly girl, with 80 coming in a few months, I could certainly be, age-wise, like a dad to many here, like a grand dad to many also I'm sure. :laughing:

@#1hoosierfan, you are going to do just fine. Be positive, that's more than half the battle. :hug:'s

Again, thank you everyone. :grouphug:

The most beautiful post Dan ❤️
Happy New Year to you, Marie and your entire beautiful family 🎊🥂🍾
I hope and pray 2024 is a great year for you all ❤️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter