• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A sentiment posted in years past, and now again, as the year winds to a close....

Dan Murphy

We are family.
I originally posted most of this back 16 years ago, New Year's Eve of 2005. Since then, I have dragged out the words I posted here to make up a new thread, revised them a bit, adding whatever updates and a few thoughts from the current year. Except for a very few changes, same post.

(for those who have read this in past years, this below is very much a repeat, with a couple new thoughts)

Over the past year, so much has again happened, for us, for others here and worldwide. At this time, 12 months ago, who would have known we were in for another year of the same, COVID. We all have learned even more new vocabulary over 2021. We all (well, most) have continued to wear masks, socially distance and wash our hands 20 times a day. And, this year, so importantly, we have had vaccines, which seem to very well keep people out of hospitals and alive. Hopefully, you, your family and friends have not been directly impacted through illness, death, upset school/work/careers. If you have, wishing you and those affected my continued best wishes, today and in the future as we try to work through one surge after another. Indirectly, I doubt there is anyone who has not continued to be impacted to one degree or another by something this pandemic continues to throw at us and the whole world. It has truly been another overwhelming year to have dealt with. And it appears we will continue to do so for some undetermined time to come. 365 days ago, I said that nobody in our immediate family had been sick. However, in October, Vince got a breakthrough case. He was home for 2 weeks, temperature, very tired, weak, no taste/smell. He did get an outpatient infusion of Regeneron, seemed to have helped quite a bit. He went back to work (firefighter/paramed) but still tires easily, has recovered a little taste/smell. Marie got the COVID about 2 weeks ago. She is currently recovering from her bout with it, still very tired, lots of coughing. Outside our immediate family, we do know a pretty large number of people who have had it over the past year.

Here on the dis, there have been parents, children, family members and friends some of us have lost over this past year. :hug:'s For you, our prayers of comfort follow you. For those dealing with aches, pains and serious ailments, our prayers are with you for improvement over the coming year. And we certainly continue to miss the many who are no longer here on the dis, for many and various reasons. :( That sadness is tempered a bit as we welcomed new dis babies along the way, new dis brides and grooms, new dis members to this little loony, often dysfunctional place on the Net. This place has many shortcomings, for sure, but still remains dear to me (sometimes I question that, :laughing:), and to many others, for various reasons. One of the big reasons (maybe the biggest) for me is the friendships I have made here over the past 22 plus years I've been here, having started my 'dis days' back in March of '99. However I do miss many though, some immensely. Of the many, many who are no longer here, I do still keep in contact with a number of these great people.

On the personal front, we are still holding at 5 grandkids. Marie still loved getting Vince and Katlyn's Delaney all the girlie stuff. She and her bothers, Keegan and Griffin, along with their two cousins, Natalie's Jeremy and Christopher, bring much joy and many smiles to both Marie and me. :cloud9: The only downside this year, as last year, is that we continued to see all them so very little because of the virus. :(, not all vaccinated. The five kids have been back in school, doing whatever they have to do there to try and stay healthy.

Marie is coming up in a month on the 24 year mark in remission from stage III breast cancer back in 1998. :cool1: Our family trip to Disney World in '99 to celebrate Marie's return to health is what actually led me to this place, researching and planning our then upcoming trip. We both are another year older than we were last year, which we both will gladly settle for at our ages. :hippie: And effective today, I've been retired one year from my 45 year financial planning career.

As the year runs short of hours here, I would like to wish everyone here, and elsewhere, a very Happy, Healthy, Safe, Blessed and Good New Year. :hourglass And so importantly, an end to the virus over the coming year, 2022..

Many of us became friends over the years here, having met in this crazy world we call.....online; and have become cyber friends, buddies, online friends. And, many of us have, over time, actually met up in real life and became real-life friends, and sometimes, very good real-life friends. It is a nice community, in spite of many of its shortcomings. And Lord knows it has many.

Sure, there are arguments, name-calling, disagreements, what-have-you, but generally, in the end, friends. Hopefully, all can be friends in 2022, making for an even better community. Pixie dust maybe, but hey, who knows? It would be great to see many who no longer can be here to again share here. :grouphug:

I hear this song every year at this time, thought it had some good things to say, some true things. Yeah, it's by that sort of ancient, cheesy group, ABBA :rockband: (I really do like some of their music and sound), but still, give a listen, read the lyrics, I found they can ring true......................

(The site I used to host this song on went belly
up during 2019 so just a
link here to an audio video)

You and I can share the silence
Finding comfort together
The way old friends do
And after fights and words of violence
We make up with each other
The way old friends do
Times of joy and times of sorrow
We will always see it through
Oh I don't care what comes tomorrow
We can face it together
The way old friends do

You and I can share the silence
Finding comfort together
The way old friends do
And after fights and words of violence
We make up with each other
The way old friends do
Times of joy and times of sorrow
We will always see it through
Oh I don't care what comes tomorrow
We can face it together
The way old friends do

We can face it together
The way old friends do
--Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus

.......I like to think good things, good things that have been, good things that could be. :grouphug:

Anyway, enough of all that.............

Happy New Year, guys.

These thoughts still ring true.

Dan :wave:

PS: It is so nice to see those who have returned over this past 2021 year too, would love to see others in 2022. :wave2: I have that now almost 16 year old Are You a dis Oldtimer (or New)? thread I posted years back linked in my signature. It is always nice, real nice :cloud9:, to see folks who have been missing for months or years pop back to say hello. I smile when I see those people pop in for a hello, great memories. I wish others who can't pop in would be able to. Some I dearly miss, very, very much. :( :hug:

Again, a very Healthy, Happy and Good 2022 New Year wish to everyone.

So eloquently and well said as always Dan. May 2022 be kind to your family. I hope Marie recovers fully and quickly, 24 years in remission is amazing. Wishing you and yours good health, good luck, happiness, and as always love in the New Year. party:

God bless you and your family @Dan Murphy!

A very Happy, Healthy, Safe and Peaceful New Year to you and all my Disfriends.
COVID has not been kind to many of us - praying it's a better one for all and we can put this all behind us ASAP.

:grouphug:

Well said, Dan! A happy and healthy new year to you and yours...and if I may dust off this chestnut, courtesy of the dear departed Betty White...thank you for being a friend!

Hey Dan!
I haven’t been on the boards much, but rely on the Disboards Facebook page. We were just in Disneyland a few weeks ago with our older son and his family. The end of February we’ll be in WDW with our younger son and his family. That Disney bug is what brought us all here.

Wishing all Disboarders a happy & healthy 2022!

Thanks again, Dan, for reaching out to all of us. It's DISfolk like you that help hold this community together and make is such a comfortable place to hang out. I hope Marie continues to improve- this Covid is a very weird thing. Happy New Year to you and yours!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter