A solution to booking room only rates for North American travellers

bavaria

<font color=deeppink>Makes the best of both worlds
We sometimes see the question here - how can I book room only rates? this is especially difficult for non-Europeans, as the answer is usually to check out the Eurostar website, or expedia.co.uk. Many websites don't allow for international addresses or credit cards.

This weekeend I finally booked my stay at the Cheyenne. As usual for when I book my European travel, I went to expedia.de. The room only rates were listed there (80 euros/night, which I think is quite good)

I was able to book, but even better, the .de site gives the option to list an address outside Germany and to use a credit card from outside Germany. So for those living in North America, this may be a good solution if you are looking to book room only rates. I used a Canadian address and American credit card with no problems at all.

For North Americans looking to book the TGV, go straight to the SNCF site and change the language to English (if you don't read French) Then you can book and pick up your ticket at the airport station without paying the very high markup the Rail sites will quote (ie about 44 Euros return full fare; the rail sites quoted about $120 USD which is about 150 Euros)

Hope that helps someone!

(edited to add that this past summer I booked my car rental in Germany on the Expedia.de site using the same Canadian address, US credit card, and German passport on arrival - no issues at all)

Thank you bavaria, I am sure this will be very helpful advice. :goodvibes

Glad to see you have finally booked! :yay:

Ware Bears said:
Glad to see you have finally booked! :yay:

I believe that it was Boxing Day 2005 when I came here with the urge to visit DLRP - now I am FINALLY leaving on Friday for not one but two visits.... plus a month in Paris in the middle :woohoo:

thanks everyone for all the great advice - I am going to stay at the Cheyenne for the first visit, haven't decided yet about the longer one - maybe Sequoia

bavaria said:
We sometimes see the question here - how can I book room only rates? this is especially difficult for non-Europeans, as the answer is usually to check out the Eurostar website, or expedia.co.uk. Many websites don't allow for international addresses or credit cards.

This weekeend I finally booked my stay at the Cheyenne. As usual for when I book my European travel, I went to expedia.de. The room only rates were listed there (80 euros/night, which I think is quite good)

I was able to book, but even better, the .de site gives the option to list an address outside Germany and to use a credit card from outside Germany. So for those living in North America, this may be a good solution if you are looking to book room only rates. I used a Canadian address and American credit card with no problems at all.

For North Americans looking to book the TGV, go straight to the SNCF site and change the language to English (if you don't read French) Then you can book and pick up your ticket at the airport station without paying the very high markup the Rail sites will quote (ie about 44 Euros return full fare; the rail sites quoted about $120 USD which is about 150 Euros)

Hope that helps someone!

(edited to add that this past summer I booked my car rental in Germany on the Expedia.de site using the same Canadian address, US credit card, and German passport on arrival - no issues at all)

Wow! This sounds fabulous! I am *soooooo* very glad that I have taken the time to read this board for such great advice as this! Thank you!

(I live in California and am having some of these very problems trying to book and the suggestion about Eurostar is terrific. Many thanks!!)

I thought of you when I read your other post about room only rates. Checking in was very easy - there was a package for me from Expedia at the reception desk with all the paper work

bavaria said:
I thought of you when I read your other post about room only rates. Checking in was very easy - there was a package for me from Expedia at the reception desk with all the paper work

Thanks for thinking of me!

I was so intrigued by the idea of going to 'other' Expedia sites that I did a price comparison between expedia.com, expedia.uk.co, and expedia.de. The British and German sites had the exact same price for the DLH and guess what! the US site price was about $55 dollars more!!

Obviously, I have waaay too much time on my hands!

Disneylandkids, I did the same comparison earlier this year, and may have even listed them on a thread with the rates quoted by DLRP directly. I found that Expedia.de and .uk were the best prices overall, but the .de site does let you book with a foreign address and credit card.

If you can navigate the site (pretty simple, just use the calendar for dates as Europeans enter dates opposite from in the US) it's a good choice to book the onsite hotels via Expedia.de

Using the SNCF site instead of booking train travel via an online agent was also a good choice - on arrival at the station at CDG I simply went into the ticket office, presented my booking number and credit card used to book, and had my tickets within seconds.

bavaria said:
Disneylandkids, I did the same comparison earlier this year, and may have even listed them on a thread with the rates quoted by DLRP directly. I found that Expedia.de and .uk were the best prices overall, but the .de site does let you book with a foreign address and credit card.

If you can navigate the site (pretty simple, just use the calendar for dates as Europeans enter dates opposite from in the US) it's a good choice to book the onsite hotels via Expedia.de

Without knowing a whit of German, I was able to navigate well enough on the expedia.de site (or guessed fairly well). It was fun to do that comparison shopping.

I have to wonder if I'm not making things overly complicated. (Which means, most likely, yes, I am.

Current thinking is to book through Disney in order to get the kids free special (and another thread indicated that this special might also be extended to the kids fares on Eurostar) as well as the Disney Express service on Eurostar. Because we want to spend a couple days seeing Paris, we think we want room-only at one of the less-expensive Disney hotels, and then move 'up' to the Disneyland Hotel for the days we are going to the parks (the kids are just so thrilled with the idea of this place that our imaginary budget just shrugged and said, 'what the heck'). I wonder if Disney can handle all that, including transferring luggage between lodging.

Any thoughts would be appreciated (including if you kindly tell me that I am being ridiculous!)

bavaria said:
Using the SNCF site instead of booking train travel via an online agent was also a good choice - on arrival at the station at CDG I simply went into the ticket office, presented my booking number and credit card used to book, and had my tickets within seconds.

At the risk of sounding super ignorant, what is SNCF? We aren't coming into CDG; we're coming from London on Eurostar.

Thanks--*many* thanks for all your suggestions/insight/advice!

SNCF is the French rail system so not applicable in your case. Depending on your dates you may want to look at the thread I started re the new Francilien pass open to all for EU 80, and then get the hotel seperately. That way you are not paying for a pass that you won't use on all dates if you buy the package direct from Disney

Thanks for the Info!

Is there ever the possibility to book a suite on one of these sites?

I have already booked Aug 13-17, 2007 thru DVC but would love to expereince Castle Club, even if for one night!

Any suggestions?

j

Hi Scratch42 and welcome to DLP DIS board :wave2:
We are a friendly bunch here so please join in on any other thread or if you have a number of questions then just start a new thread for each :goodvibes

If you have not had a look yet, posting guidelines can be found here and details regarding help on signatures here

Scratch42 said:
Is there ever the possibility to book a suite on one of these sites?
AFAIK you'll need to contact DLP direct if you want to book suite :)

Thanks for the Welcome once again!

I was afraid of that. Guess I will have to wait until they open up!

j

Cass said:
Scratch, go with me in Dec 07, instead of August :) :thumbsup2

Would love to but will be doing the "Bringing Home the Magic - Part Deux!" in August also!

I would ask you to change your plans but I know how much DD is looking forward to Egypt! Don't Tell My DD! ;)

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter