• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Storm(rider) heading to WDW.

larworth

DIS Veteran
From J. Hill
As I understand it, Tom, there have already been active discussions at WDI about opening a version of "Stormrider" at Epcot sometime in late 2005 / early 2006. The current feeling is that - what with this attraction's obvious ties to the ocean (Most of the storyline for this TDS simulator ride is set out at sea, high up in the air at the outermost edge of a massive hurricane) - this Port Discovery show would make a great (and logical) addition to Future World's "Living Seas" pavilion.
The only problem now is. Finding a new corporate sponsor for "The Living Seas" that has some very deep pockets. Ideally, it would have to be an eco-friendly company that would be willing to underwrite an extensive redo / expansion of this somewhat tired Epcot pavilion.
Mind you, Mickey's willing to kick a few of his own millions to help kick start construction of the project. But what the Mouse would really like is for some corporation to come forward with $100 million or so that's necessary to freshen up all of "The Living Seas" 's current exhibits as well as build those two huge new theaters that Epcot needs to properly present "Stormrider."
This seemed like the first idea for cloning a TDS attraction that hit the rumor mill. I assumed it was just idle speculation, but sounds as if it might have some teeth after-all. The timing makes sense, following about 2 years after Space. Of course we have that little detail of actually finding a sponsor.

If the JIYI rehab is decent, Space a winner, this LS redo happened, and another major pavilion overhaul was completed by the end of the decade (2009); would this be a reasonable revitalization plan for Future World?

Oh, before any of us decide to plunk down the $100 million, has anyone read what guest response to Stormrider has actually been? Any concerns about the longevity of another simulator attraction?

http://www.dcacentral.com/dca/jim_hill/showarticle.asp?ID=14&page=2

Actually with that Timeframe, Stormrider will be complete just as Energy or the land will need a serious update. If storm rider moves forward (I still want the fish moved to AK, but I could live without it) then Futureworld could shape up to an excellent expireance again.

From what I've herd, Stormrider is an amazing attraction and would fit perfectly into Future World and the Living Seas. Especailly now that that Living Seas really needs somthing new this attraction would be a welcome addition. :)

If the rumor is true its another example of disney's unwillingness to spend their own money to update a very outdated attraction. Doesnt disney realize they cant expect other companies to always bail them out of the problems they caused themselves.

Bob O, that's an interesting take. Future World (for the very beginning - yes, pre-Eisner) has been supported by sponsors. The lion's share of costs associated with each pavillion have been born by the corporate sponsors. That business model has played out quite well at Epcot. Securing a new sponsor for The Living Seas (to me) is the next step before installing a new attraction. Stormrider could serve as a great incentive for another company to step up to the plate and hang there logo outside the Seas.

Steve Frearson (whose word I take quite honestly) says that there are several companies in fairly deep conversations with Disney about assuming sponsorship. If Stormrider is what it takes to get one, that's a win-win scenario.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter