• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Taste of the Great Northwest: Artist Point

Planning fanatic mom

DIS Veteran
DH and I spent a long weekend at Disney World a week ago. We were so excited to spend some time in the warm weather and eat at restaurants that we have never eaten at before. He chose Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge. We checked out the menu ahead of time and read some reviews to make sure that there was food there that I would like. I am a very picky eater. DH will eat anything.

Our reservation was at 7:35 on the evening that we flew into Orlando. We took a bus to MK and then the boat to WL. We ended up getting there about 45 minutes early. We spent some time on the back porch enjoying the warm weather and solitude. We took a quick turn around the gift shop. We decided to check in early at about 7:20 just to see if we could be seated. They took us in right away. There was no one waiting.

The maitre-de asked us if we had been there before, and offered us a tour of the restaurant when we answered no. DH is an artist, not by trade, but he certainly loves to paint. The maitre-de showed us the paintings and explained to us some of the history of the restaurant and menu. He took his time. When we arrived at the booth, he suggested we sit on the same side so that we could both have a view out of the window and the rest of the restaurant. We have never done this before, but we absolutely loved it. It made the evening even more romantic. We were not celebrating anything special on this trip except spending time together.

Our server was Kristen from Connecticut. She was amazing. She took her time to go through the menu with my DH. I, on the other hand, had decided weeks ago what I would be eating. While she was making her recommendations, she mentioned the cheese plate as an appetizer, which included sheep cheese. DH seemed to find this amusing, and throughout the rest of the meal would joke with Kristen about how he could get his hands on large amounts of sheep cheese. Kristen laughed at his stupid jokes and certainly earned her tip.

DH started with the Portobello Bisque and ordered the Buffalo Strip Loin done medium rare, as the chef recommended. It came with barley risotto, roasted root vegetables, chanterelles, winter greens, jus. DH wasn't planning of ordering the Portobello Bisque until that very evening. While we were waiting on the back porch, DH posted on FB that we were going to eat there. A friend posted that he had to get the Bisque because of how good it was. He was so glad that he ordered it. It was topped with shaved, crispy oyster mushrooms that had a bacon like texture. It was smooth with a taste of black pepper. The Buffalo loin was a 7 oz. portion, very lean, and very tender. Although he won't say it is the best steak he has ever had, he did say that it was as good as the filet at Le Cellier. The menu recommended the 2014 Cabernet Franc, and it was perfect together.

I ordered the Chinook Cedar Plank Salmon with local potatoes, roasted cauliflower, fried turnips on whey butter. I asked for my Salmon to be cooked through. I loved it. The salmon was cooked the way I like it and had so much flavor. Usually I eat salmon with a sauce, there was no need for this salmon. The potatoes were very good and cooked to perfection. I am not a fan of cooked cauliflower, but because it was roasted, it was still firm and flavorful. I was especially fond of the whey butter. We took our time and savored every bite.

For dessert, DH and I both ordered the berry cobbler with raspberry ice cream . In everything that I had read, the cobbler was well reviewed. We both agreed whole heartedly. DH and Kristen were still talking about the sheep cheese throughout the dinner. I was half expecting her to bring him a piece of sheep cheese. However, she did much better. I think because of the lively conversation, she wanted to give us a magical moment. She brought us both a champagne toast with a raspberry at the bottom of the glass. It was wonderful and very thoughtful of her.

Overall, it was a great experience and dinner. We both agreed that we would recommend this place to all of our friends and would go back again someday. The food was sublime, the service was outstanding, and the atmosphere was pleasant.

I'm so glad you both had a wonderful time!!! Yay to pixie dust and Ty for taking time to share your meal experience with us!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review. It sounds like along with the excellent food, the staff was so attentive and caring, which really makes the experience imo. So glad you had a wonderful evening!

Glad you had an incredible meal and wonderful service! So many recent reviews of the Signatures are down that its a treat to hear of someone really enjoying their evening & believing they received value. Good for you!

My wife and I have eaten at AP many times over the past several years, and it was where we had our wedding dinner after being married at the Lodge three years ago. So, I'm thrilled to hear you had a delightful and romantic experience there. It has had some consistency issues, especially a couple of years ago, but on our last two trips, it regained its stature to us as a worthy Signature restaurant. The buffalo strip loin came back (after a hiatus), and the salmon has always been quite good. I'm thrilled your friend mentioned the bisque as it is one of the better dishes at any World eatery. The cobbler is also well known, but the next time you go, I highly recommend the handmade donuts--superb! AP is one of the more romantic restaurants on property, and it's clear service that night provided many magical moments for you. AP remains such an gem yet is rarely full and is almost always available for a last-minute reservations. Glad you had a great time, and thanks for the review.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter