A Tipsy Tenth Dining Adventure - Completed 9/28

But I did teach her 80's speak over the weekend and grody and gag me with a spoon are her new favorites, so there is that.
I wholeheartedly approve of 80s speak. I still use both of these regularly! :thumbsup2 :laughing:

Like icing covered apples. Or fried cheese. Or even fried apples and cheese with icing. Anything would have been better than what that lady ordered.
Exactly!

Finally caught back up now.

We ate at Raglan Road a couple trips ago and waited forever and found it disappointing also! Your scallops did sound delicious though.

Wish I had made it in time to play the tipsy notes game! Your meal at Jiko sounds amazing. Still on my list to try one day.

I like babybel cheese but not enough to wait in a line that long and prob pay 3x the price for it!

I mean, clearly it was that CM's fault that they only sold waffle fries there and by yelling at her, she could magically make some other kind appear :confused3

Ok as a child born in the 60s who loved the 80s and in an effort to further my education in my ahem 50s, what does “grody “ mean? Don’t get me wrong I’d never heard “gag me with a spoon “ either but reckon it’s fairly self-explanatory :rotfl2:
I’ve been trying to think of things I said in the 80s that I no longer say but, nope still telling my kids to “wind their neck’s in” on a regular basis!:lmao:
So now I’ll have learnt 2 new languages by the time I’m finished reading this report- tipsy kari and 80s kari. I’ve no doubt both will take me far in life:laughing::goodvibes:thumbsup2

We ate at Raglan Road a couple trips ago and waited forever and found it disappointing also! Your scallops did sound delicious though.
I was hoping our wait was a fluke (both times) but sadly I guess not. But those scallops were so dang good I have to have them again.

I mean, clearly it was that CM's fault that they only sold waffle fries there and by yelling at her, she could magically make some other kind appear :confused3
Clearly, you get it. If only the CM did

Ok as a child born in the 60s who loved the 80s and in an effort to further my education in my ahem 50s, what does “grody “ mean? Don’t get me wrong I’d never heard “gag me with a spoon “ either but reckon it’s fairly self-explanatory :rotfl2:
Grody or grody to the max for ultimate effect is basically just gross. Apparently we needed a new word for that

nope still telling my kids to “wind their neck’s in” on a regular basis!:lmao:
Ok so now I need the rosetta stone. What in the heck does that mean?

So now I’ll have learnt 2 new languages by the time I’m finished reading this report- tipsy kari and 80s kari. I’ve no doubt both will take me far in life:laughing::goodvibes:thumbsup2
Oh yes, so very far. Maybe you could even write a book that translates both languages. There would be such a demand for that. You could be like the Miriam Webster of the DIS.

Ok so now I need the rosetta stone. What in the heck does that mean?
So if someone is giving you cheek/pushing the boundaries as kids/teens are known to do occasionally or one of your friends is giving you a bit of a hard time you would tell them to”wind their neck in!” Rhymes with rind. Just in case you decide to do a Henry the 8th and chop off their head!
Yes indeed I am a kind and gentle mother! :rotfl2: :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Oh yes, so very far. Maybe you could even write a book that translates both languages. There would be such a demand for that. You could be like the Miriam Webster of the DIS.
Future retirement job perhaps. Or I could do trivia quizzes at all of your various dining and drinking locations to test the staff’s knowledge in the language of Kari and what she really means:rotfl: I may have to sample to various food and drink options just to make some notes of my own to compare:thumbsup2

So if someone is giving you cheek/pushing the boundaries as kids/teens are known to do occasionally or one of your friends is giving you a bit of a hard time you would tell them to”wind their neck in!” Rhymes with rind. Just in case you decide to do a Henry the 8th and chop off their head!
Well that makes much more sense than what I thought was wind (ya know that blowing stuff) their neck in.

Yes indeed I am a kind and gentle mother! :rotfl2: :rotfl2::rotfl2:
Aren't we all :earboy2:

Future retirement job perhaps. Or I could do trivia quizzes at all of your various dining and drinking locations to test the staff’s knowledge in the language of Kari and what she really means:rotfl: I may have to sample to various food and drink options just to make some notes of my own to compare:thumbsup2
Oh definite retirement job. Clearly we have just uncovered a million dollar industry :drinking1

Teeny Tiny Portions But Big Big Fun

After a fun filled day in MK we chilled in the room for a while before heading to California Grill for dinner at one of our favorite spots. As we waited for our uber we stopped for some “nice” family pictures.

Clearly “nice” means something a little different to each of us.

We arrived and were seated quickly and started with their newish sourdough bread with the sundried tomato olive oil.

I’m a sucker for a good sourdough bread and while I would have preferred butter, the olive oil was a nice touch.

Casey however decided to forgo bread in favor of some mickey shaped plastic.

I guess everything really does taste better when mickey shaped :confused3

To wash all this down Jason got an M.I.A Tourist Trappe Beer and I honored Mr. @ariane37 and went with the Anaheim Mule with Hangar 1 Mandarin Blossom Vodka and Fever-Tree Premium Ginger Beer with a splash of Orange Juice.

Anyone who has read my reports before knows I cannot resist anything with prosciutto or arugula on it so when we saw the Pear Artisan Formed Pizza with not only Olli Prosciutto and Arugula but also Red Wine-poached Asian Pear, Red Onion Jam, Fontina, Asiago, Parmesan, Meyer Lemon, and Fresh-cracked Pepper we knew we had to have it.

Sadly this looked and sounded much better than it tasted. The actual pears and prosciutto (from Virginia woot woot) were delicious but this had so much garlic and asiago on it their strong flavors just overpowered everything else.

For our entrees Jason threw me for a loop when he ordered Oak- fired Filet of Beef. Parmesan-Farro Risotto, and Butternut Squash.

And up close for the meat is best raw and straight off the cow crowd.

Jason is always a ribeye kinda guy so I was surprised when he ordered a dainty filet with none of that manly gristle and fat. But he really enjoyed this as it was cooked perfectly though it needed a little salt. More than the steak though he loved the farro risotto which was nice and hearty and full of delicious parm. He remarked he could have just eaten this. He didn’t care for the squash as it was billed as butternut squash but actually was acorn and way overcooked.

To drink it down he went with a glass of Robert Biale Black Chicken Zinfandel.

We were pretty confident we’d had this before and while it had a bit more vanilla flavor than I like, he enjoyed it very much.

For our entrée Casey and I split the Pacific Seabass with Green Garlic Gnocchi, Edamame, Butter-poached Spring Onions, and Corn-Saffron Emulsion.

When your actual food only takes up 10% of the plate I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the kitchen may want to rethink the portion size. Seriously, there were about 5 bites of fish here. Jason’s steak cost $5 more than ours and it must have been ten times as much food. Beyond the size, the fish had a nice flavor but was unevenly cooked. The butter-poached onions were a nice touch and I liked the gnocchi, but this $48 plate only had 6 of the little buggars on it! This was not even enough for me, let alone for me to share with Casey, so we asked for more bread to help fill ourselves up.

Thankfully I had a wine to wash my sorrows down with. I don’t remember the brand, but know that it was a very crisp and acidic Gruener Veltliner that I liked very much.

Throughout dinner, we’d discussed our evening plans of heading to the Annual Pass event at the Magic Kingdom. It was raining pretty hard so we were considering skipping it, but someone (who shall remain nameless) was not happy about that.

Good thing we don’t know her though because Casey happily busied herself with her bithday Mickey Confetti

And our server even brought her a birthday cake to brighten the mood.

Sugar works every time!

Overall we were a little disappointed with our dinner. I’m so used to raving about everything California Grill but between the garlicky pizza and the smallest fish ever served we left a little disappointed. We did at least save $38.85 on our car insurance.

The rain let up a bit and despite still getting soaked, we headed to the party and had a great time. The rains kept crowds away so most everything was a walk-on and more importantly we spent the evening with @StarWarsMomofGirls! and @chunkymonkey and even had a drive by from @LindseyJo22 . I didn’t take a lot of notes or pictures, but stole some from the others, so please do enjoy.

#LuckyGirl

So excited for VIP Passholder Fun!

Solo Cup!

"Happy" to not be on the tea cups???

Stinky Wet Shoes (side note they were so soaked they started to fall apart by the end of the night)

ChunkySelfie

No parents allowed!

You will never guess which 2 know where the camera is :confused3

Like father, Like daughter

Yes! After 4+ hours of rain is a good time for a photo.

IMG_6904.gif
Energy I will never have!

And energy gone!
We didn’t make it back to our room until 1230 am and someone was more than a little bit tired.

Up next, a deluxe lunch...

Oh my goodness, that is a shockingly small portion of fish!! You'd think the server might have commented when learning you were sharing. Even without sharing it doesn't seem like enough. Good for you making the best of a rainy night! Looks like you had fun nevertheless!

Long time listener, first time caller. Seriously, I’ve read all your reports and love your tipsy style! Sorry to hear that Cali Grill was a bit of a bust. We also were not impressed with our recent visit there. Looking forward to reading more as always.

I honored Mr. @ariane37 and went with the Anaheim Mule with Hangar 1 Mandarin Blossom Vodka and Fever-Tree Premium Ginger Beer with a splash of Orange Juice.
I just sent him mule gummies!!!!!! How fun is that!?!?

Sorry dinner at Cali Grill wasn't as great as it should have been!!!! I love how Casey eats sea bass!!!!!!!!

Sorry your meal didn’t quite live up to your expectations. Hate when that happens Birthday cake and confetti were a nice touch though :)
Looks like you all had fun afterwards even if you did get a wee bit damp :)

Wow, the fish dish was small! My only experience has been the brunch on our Epic trip and that was so good! I have heard mixed reviews about dinner, very good to meh..

How fun dancing and playing in the rain with friends!

And up close for the meat is best raw and straight off the cow crowd.
Actually, his steak looks great to me. :)

Overall we were a little disappointed with our dinner. I’m so used to raving about everything California Grill but between the garlicky pizza and the smallest fish ever served we left a little disappointed.
I hate when expensive restaurants thinks it is okay to serve minuscule portions. It is definitely not an entree to share.

Energy I will never have!
I love when kids have energy like this for the things they like and melt into a puddle of exhaustion when it is over. :)

Bummer about your meal at CG. I am glad at least Jason enjoyed his steak. That is a small amount of fish even for a third portion & I won't even comment on the meager amount of gnocchi :confused3.
Loved "Someone's" look during the discussion of skipping the MK event. That must be the look my DH says I have when I get cold nachos at a restaurant.

When your actual food only takes up 10% of the plate I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the kitchen may want to rethink the portion size.
:scared1: I had hoped for two things upon seeing this. 1) it was taken after the server had kindly requested the normal portion to be split onto two plates and 2) it was already partially eaten. I'm hungry just looking at it. And not just because what little was there looked good! :laughing:

And our server even brought her a birthday cake to brighten the mood.
Score! A piece of cake twice the size of dinner! :rotfl:

You will never guess which 2 know where the camera is :confused3
I wish they'd clue me in!

That's too bad about your CG dinner. We tried CG once. We were not wowed by it but I would like to give it another shot.

Oh my goodness, that is a shockingly small portion of fish!! You'd think the server might have commented when learning you were sharing. Even without sharing it doesn't seem like enough. Good for you making the best of a rainy night! Looks like you had fun nevertheless!
Hi Christine!!! It would have been great if the server said something. From what I recall she wasn't all that great to begin with, so clearly she was not gonna mention that they would be serving me a goldfish for dinner.

We did have a great time at the party though. Glad we talked ourselves into going.

Long time listener, first time caller. Seriously, I’ve read all your reports and love your tipsy style! Sorry to hear that Cali Grill was a bit of a bust. We also were not impressed with our recent visit there. Looking forward to reading more as always.
Hi first time caller. My name is Kari from DC, what's your question today :earboy2:

Thanks so much for dropping in to say hello. California Grill is usually one of our favorites, and I'm sure we will be back again on our next trip, but I guess nothing can be consistently great. I think I'll have to scope out out the portion size before ordering next time though.

I just sent him mule gummies!!!!!! How fun is that!?!?
That is awesome! Don't think I have ever seen such a thing.

Sorry dinner at Cali Grill wasn't as great as it should have been!!!! I love how Casey eats sea bass!!!!!!!!
Pretty sure at this point Casey just eats everything :D

Sorry your meal didn’t quite live up to your expectations. Hate when that happens Birthday cake and confetti were a nice touch though :)
Looks like you all had fun afterwards even if you did get a wee bit damp :)
Casey was happy in the end and I had good wine so not too bad all things considered. Just wished they'd brought me some cake too!!!

Wow, the fish dish was small! My only experience has been the brunch on our Epic trip and that was so good! I have heard mixed reviews about dinner, very good to meh..

How fun dancing and playing in the rain with friends!
Dinner rarely disappoints us so I'm just gonna say this was a bad night for the kitchen and we'll keep coming back. In fact its about the only reservation I have for August as I wanted to be able to watch the Halloween party fireworks from there.

Actually, his steak looks great to me. :)
Me too! Just a bit of the disboards banned sarcasm for those that want their steak cooked well :P

I hate when expensive restaurants thinks it is okay to serve minuscule portions. It is definitely not an entree to share.
I've never had this issue with a single signature entree at Disney before so hopefully it is not a new trend.

Bummer about your meal at CG. I am glad at least Jason enjoyed his steak. That is a small amount of fish even for a third portion & I won't even comment on the meager amount of gnocchi :confused3.
It really was a ridiculous "portion." If part of a 10 course tasting menu, yes. As my entree, no!!! In fact I made gnocchi for dinner last night and after I portioned it out to what I thought was "normal" saw that I'd given us about 20 each. Maybe I should have sent a picture to CG as reference :D

Loved "Someone's" look during the discussion of skipping the MK event. That must be the look my DH says I have when I get cold nachos at a restaurant.
Remind me to never serve you cold nachos :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Thankfully we rarely get this look but it will make one more big visit later this trip.

:scared1: I had hoped for two things upon seeing this. 1) it was taken after the server had kindly requested the normal portion to be split onto two plates and 2) it was already partially eaten. I'm hungry just looking at it. And not just because what little was there looked good! :laughing:
Now that you say that I'm wondering if for some reason me saying we were going to split it, they split the size instead of the order :confused3 Makes no sense and I'm 95% sure we paid full prize but at least some plausible explanation beyond they should just be embarrassed by this

Score! A piece of cake twice the size of dinner! :rotfl:
Score indeed. For one of us at least :earboy2:

That's too bad about your CG dinner. We tried CG once. We were not wowed by it but I would like to give it another shot.
It certainly seems to be hit or miss with a lot of people. Its almost always a hit for us and hopefully will get back on track in August.

I’m getting caught up, here are my disconnected comments from way back...

Jiko good, need to go. Embarrassed to say we haven’t been since our first trip together in 2001. Cali Grill, sad portions, will go to Jiko instead.

Sadly it appears this is now off the menu. RIP Cauliflower.

Disappointing. You know I love some fried cauliflower.

Ordering side note #2 the lady in front of me got into an argument with the cashier because she wanted fries, but not the waffle kind

Entitled much? Just go get fries someplace else, ya lunatic.

But I did teach her 80's speak over the weekend and grody and gag me with a spoon are her new favorites, so there is that.

Chad just taught Asher to say “Your mom goes to college,” from Napoleon Dynamite and I could kill him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter