A typical day at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Stoneking

Mouseketeer
Thanks everyone, Enjoy!

What is your favorite thing about Hollywood Studios and how do you feel about the two upcoming expansions?

We just got back. Our favorites were Jedi Training Academy, Fantasmic and Toy Story Midway Mania. Can't wait for the upcoming expansions!

I am beyond thrilled by the announcement for Star Wars Land & Toy Story Land! That park has needed a bit of TLC for awhile now. I love DHS, as many of my favorite attractions are there, but I find it difficult to make more of a day out of lately.

Was there two weeks ago .. still my favorite park.

Since the "studios" aspect of the park died a slow death (and was really only cool the first time through), I am looking for both the new expansions.
They will just take forever I gather as they want to keep as much of the park open while they do construction.

As long as they retain the "old Hollywood" vibe of the two main streets and the restaurants (50's Prime Time and Hollywood & Vine) .. I'll be happy. That is my favorite part of the park. Still not sure how Rock-n-Roller coaster ever fit into that theme (or the "Studios" theme) .. but hey .. it's a fun ride.

Look forward to Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land. The family loves Tower of Terror, Fantasmic and Toy Story Mania. Will be at the Jedi academy this year with our grand baby going. Also love the Osborne Lights during the Thanks/Christmas time.

Perfect example of tastes. HS is my least favorite park by a landslide. Typical day is get a FP for ToT and RnR, then leave and come back later for Fantasmic.

That park never has felt like Disney to me, other than ToT and Fantasmic. It also doesn't feel like it has much of anything to do with a movie studio. Goes to show how much you notice the theming when it isn't there I guess. QS choices are horrible, and Mama Melrose is really the only TS restaurant I like.

But hey, I know lots of people love it there...

Was there two weeks ago .. still my favorite park.

Since the "studios" aspect of the park died a slow death (and was really only cool the first time through), I am looking for both the new expansions.
They will just take forever I gather as they want to keep as much of the park open while they do construction.

As long as they retain the "old Hollywood" vibe of the two main streets and the restaurants (50's Prime Time and Hollywood & Vine) .. I'll be happy. That is my favorite part of the park. Still not sure how Rock-n-Roller coaster ever fit into that theme (or the "Studios" theme) .. but hey .. it's a fun ride.

Totally agree. We were happy to see the frozen backdrop was taken down so now we at lease have sort of a nice view of the Chinese theater again. The old school Hollywood feel is the best part about it!

Perfect example of tastes. HS is my least favorite park by a landslide. Typical day is get a FP for ToT and RnR, then leave and come back later for Fantasmic.

That park never has felt like Disney to me, other than ToT and Fantasmic. It also doesn't feel like it has much of anything to do with a movie studio. Goes to show how much you notice the theming when it isn't there I guess. QS choices are horrible, and Mama Melrose is really the only TS restaurant I like.

Sorry to hear you're not a fan, you like the other parks though? It is so bare-bones right now with all the renovations. Hopefully the new expansions pour new life into the park

I've watched several of your videos and really enjoy them. You and Sadie both do a great job! Now as far as our favorites, Star Tours and JTA.

I've watched several of your videos and really enjoy them. You and Sadie both do a great job! Now as far as our favorites, Star Tours and JTA.

Hey! Thanks so much! Star Tours is in our top three. So we tried to figure it out, but couldn't decipher it. What is JTA?

Edit: Sadi just cracked it!: Jedi Training Academy
Not really sure why we had such a hard time with that one lol

Hey! Thanks so much! Star Tours is in our top three. So we tried to figure it out, but couldn't decipher it. What is JTA?

Edit: Sadi just cracked it!: Jedi Training Academy
Not really sure why we had such a hard time with that one lol
Yes, Jedi Training Academy. :flower:And, sorry I spelled Sadi's name wrong. I like spelled with just an "i". I've not seen it that way before.

Yes, Jedi Training Academy. :flower:And, sorry I spelled Sadi's name wrong. I like spelled with just an "i". I've not seen it that way before.

No problem at all! She gets that a lot. I guess it is a pretty unique spelling and with my name being Quinton, it makes things interesting.

Favorite thing is just the feel of the park, love the old feel of the streets and the street actors crack me up. Second favorite thing is ToT, could ride it all day.

How do I feel about upcoming expansions? MEH. I know, sorry folks don't flame me. I'm not a huge fan of TSMM and I have to admit I only saw the first Toy Story movie. Not a huge fan of Star Wars, saw the original 3 then didn't see any of the prequels but will see the new one because, ummm Harrison Ford. Given the original theme of the park was movies and studios, I guess they do fit in but I don't think they will fit with the old Hollywood theme, which scares me into thinking they will eventually get rid of that. I know the park needs some love and it is in flux but it has never been about rides to me, the ambiance has always been the draw for me.

HS is always a tough one for us. It has four of our favorite things on propery but it's kind of depressing outside of those things. Too many things have been closed and replaced with empty lots and if we don't have park hoppers to go to EPCOT for lunch then it's pretty bad food wise as well. I loved the original concept riding through the soundstage and the original backlot tour. We could spend a tremendous amount of time in the AFI displays and really like the old rotating movie sets that used to occupy the "lounge" area now.

We're really looking forward to the updates especially the Toy Story area since we now have a little one.

We were there last week and it's DS15 favorite park and DD9 second favorite park after MK.

We are not star wars fans. None of us has ever seen a movie. We don't do Jedi training. We are excited about the Toy Story expansion!

We got up one morning and got there for RD. Did RnR and ToT twice each in an hour. Sat down and had a snack at Starring Rolls. Watched the Frozen parade and then headed out to Epcot for lunch. Came back in the evening with FP+. It was a PM EMH night. We did TSM a few times, dance party, Frozen fireworks, Fantasmic!, rode more rides and we were the last ones to ride ToT that night.

We went back another morning with more FP+, did some shows (Frozen B&B and LM) and extra rides.

As for food we had good snacks at Starring Rolls and Writers Stop. We did Rosie's burgers for dinner one night and everyone really liked the burgers. We were starving so everything tastes great at that point. The fries were hot and fresh.

We can easily spend a full day there.

Agree that it's all about tastes. I love DHS and could likely still spend a full day there, even in its current condition...my wife absolutely hates it.

You are correct that it doesn't feel much like a movie studio. It did originally...when movies were actually made there, the backlot tour was much more expansive (including the residential street with some TV/movie homes), the animation area was a bit more beefed up and the streetmosphere was much more active. Wish they would have kept more of all of that, but obviously they are going a different direction, so I guess I'm happy they are at least doing something.

I would generally agree that the QS options aren't much to write home about, but we enjoy PT 50's and Sci-Fi and think Brown Derby is one of the best restaurants on property. Haven't even tried Mama Melrose but we get our fill of Italian elsewhere on property. I have dreams of their converting Mama Melrose into the restaurant from Ratatouille (Gusteau's) as part of the refurb, but once they announced that the new Pixar area was going to be strictly Toy Story-based, I think I can give up that dream.

DHS was our least favorite park last year but we just got back from a long Disney weekend and were surprised at how much fun we actually had there. We spent the entire day and were not bored in the least! Rope-dropped ToT, lunch at 50s, FPs at TSMM, Star Tours, and for some reason, Indy. (IDK, I didn't pick them.) We also did a 4th FP for the movie ride, which you wouldn't think would be necessary, but we were there on Labor Day and thus were waist-deep in double-strollers loaded with tiny Annas and Elsas.

We were two adults, though, which makes a difference. Our plan for the next family trip is to split visits into two days: one day hitting rope drop and leaving after lunch, and one day going after lunch and hanging in through Fantasmic. I could go all day but my kids, not so much. Can't wait for the expansions!

We will be down there for 1 1/2 days next spring and people think we are crazy to spend our 1/2 day at HS - But we love Star Tours, Toy Story, ToT and RnR. We probably won't stay for Fantasmic, which I am sad about because I haven't seen it in 15 years, but we have an early, full day the next day and don't want to wear ourselves out. We are over-the-top excited for the expansions.

We will be down there for 1 1/2 days next spring and people think we are crazy to spend our 1/2 day at HS - But we love Star Tours, Toy Story, ToT and RnR. We probably won't stay for Fantasmic, which I am sad about because I haven't seen it in 15 years, but we have an early, full day the next day and don't want to wear ourselves out. We are over-the-top excited for the expansions.

1/2 a day at Hollywood Studios is really the perfect amount of time. If have a few extra minutes try to catch one of the many street performers, some of the best entertainment in the entire resort!

thank you for the video. we are visiting dhs for the first time in nov. we have park hopper, so we will spend a day between epcot and dhs, just not sure where to start out. we've never been to epcot either. i have a feeling more time will be spent at epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter