A Very BIG Move for One Little Girl: A Disney College Program Planning Diary New 8/14

There wasn't any doubt I'd sign up for this! I wish I had known about the DCP wayyyyyy back when I was in college. Now I can live vicariously through your experience! :thumbsup2

joining in!!
Congrats! so excited for you!
you are seriously sooo amazing! so much talent you have!
can't wait to read more!!!!

subbing :) my stepdaughter starts college this fall and she didnt even know about the DCP! I just told her yesterday and she says "why isnt everyone doing this?!?!"
haha so I'm curious about your adventure for myself and for her!
I'm already prepping my daughters for the experience when they are older (they are 9,8 & 5 :rotfl2: and I'm already telling them about it hahahaah

:)

OH my golly, I swear your last post made my heart go all pitter-patter :lovestruc I have been sewing rather simple things for a long time, but just this past year decided that I wanted to really learn how to do garment construction so I could sew for my kiddos and myself. I've had a blast learning, but I am still an amateur at best. The costumes you designed, drafted, and sewed are amazing! I hope that you will LOVE working in the costuming dept.

Sunshine

Congrats on getting into the CP! I have been lurking on your other TR's for a few weeks and I am enjoying them a lot. I have always wanted to do the CP, but I had a friend who did it and really did not like it, so I kind of shyed away from it...Then life became super busy and I kind of missed my calling since I graduated last december. So needless to say, I am very excited to read all about your experience! :)

You are extremely talented! I loved looking at all the costumes you've made. We're big musical theater and dance fans in my family, so this is right up my alley.

How exciting about doing the college program. Hope it's everything u make it to be.

It is so exciting!!! Thank you, I hope you will be able to stick around and experience it all with me.

Im in!

I did the DCP in Fall 2011 and it was the best experience of my life! I want to go back after I graduate next year as well! I believe that any job you have, if you make the best of it you will have the time of your life! Just an FYI, disney gives you a mailbox for your apartment and thats where your letters and stuff go but they will call your apartment once packages arrive and you would have to pick them up at the office!

If you need anything else answered, don't hesitate!

Yay DCP Alumni along. Perfect. I will probably have TONS of questions within the next few weeks so I'll definitely take you up on your offer. You have already helped so much by letting me know that I will have a mail box. Saves me a lot of shoveling and stuffing of things into my suit cases :thumbsup2

ALICIA I absolutely love this thread :) I love reading about your experience and seeing how everything turned out for you! You're an inspiration to me, your mini-twin :p I am so excited to hear about your costuming job... I'm sure it's going to be really cool! And the fact that you make a little extra money is awesome. Enjoy your time there - I will be living vicariously through you! Can't wait for the next update :)

Hi Jess!!! Thanks :-) haha you are one of the specific people I can't wait to share my experiences with because I know how much you want to do the program as well!!! I hope the costuming experience is a little less stressful than the one I had at school haha I can't wait to get there and find out what I am doing. Thanks for joining in.

Congratulations on this new adventure!

I found your YOLO trip report and loved it. I laughed so much and decided to keep reading your other ones. You are just too sweet. We are going to Disney in February and your reports have made me so excited.

I have a 6 year old little girl and because of your reports, I will be buying her a Vinylmation so that she can do some trading.

I can't wait to hear about all the fun things that you do!

Thank you :goodvibes

Oh my goodness. Thank you!!! I'm glad you enjoyed/are enjoying my other TR. I'm glad that my obnoxious Disney lovin' has been able to bubble over to you, your trip is right around the corner I would be so excited too!!!

Awesome!!! I love that so many people are getting into vinly trading. Hope your daughter finds it as much fun as I do, you'll have to let me know how it goes.

I'm sure there will PLENTY of amazing stories to tell. Thanks again for following along :thumbsup2

There wasn't any doubt I'd sign up for this! I wish I had known about the DCP wayyyyyy back when I was in college. Now I can live vicariously through your experience! :thumbsup2

Yay!!! I am so glad that you are in for another one of my crazy antic trips!!! Hope you enjoy it :)

joining in!!
Congrats! so excited for you!
you are seriously sooo amazing! so much talent you have!
can't wait to read more!!!!

YAY!!! Thanks for reading along :thumbsup2

Seriously, thank you thank you thank you. I have been very blessed for this opportunity and all the ones I was given in college to expand my horizons.

Thanks again I hope you continue enjoying to read this

subbing :) my stepdaughter starts college this fall and she didnt even know about the DCP! I just told her yesterday and she says "why isnt everyone doing this?!?!"
haha so I'm curious about your adventure for myself and for her!
I'm already prepping my daughters for the experience when they are older (they are 9,8 & 5 :rotfl2: and I'm already telling them about it hahahaah

:)

Awesome!!! haha I use to joke with my mother that that was the only reason I was going to college was so I could participate in the DCP.

If you or your daughter have any questions about the program/interview/application process feel free to ask!!!

Before you know it they will all be able to apply and hopefully they will get the chance to participate!!! Start them young, that's how I was. That's all I wanted to do in High School, get to college and do the DCP :rotfl:

OH my golly, I swear your last post made my heart go all pitter-patter :lovestruc I have been sewing rather simple things for a long time, but just this past year decided that I wanted to really learn how to do garment construction so I could sew for my kiddos and myself. I've had a blast learning, but I am still an amateur at best. The costumes you designed, drafted, and sewed are amazing! I hope that you will LOVE working in the costuming dept.

Sunshine

Haha yay!!! I tarted out with basic sewing as well, I was blessed to have an amazing teacher who wasn't afraid to push me and throw me into the deep waters of costuming on my own and tell me "figure it out and make it work"

I think it's such a useful skill to have!!! It's amazing that you decided to teach yourself, thats awesome. I'm sure your kids will have some pretty amazing Halloween costumes.

And might I add that I LOVE that you understand sewing terminology. I was afraid that everyone would just think that I'm crazy haha. I'm so glad to hear of a fellow seamstress in training.

Congrats on getting into the CP! I have been lurking on your other TR's for a few weeks and I am enjoying them a lot. I have always wanted to do the CP, but I had a friend who did it and really did not like it, so I kind of shyed away from it...Then life became super busy and I kind of missed my calling since I graduated last december. So needless to say, I am very excited to read all about your experience! :)

Hello, thank you so much and welcome aboard!!! I have hear d a lot of people who have been less than thrilled with their experiences but I am determined not to let that happen. I'm sorry that you feel like you missed out but you have come to the right place if you are looking to get in on the action without leaving home!!! Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy.

You are extremely talented! I loved looking at all the costumes you've made. We're big musical theater and dance fans in my family, so this is right up my alley.

Thank you. I have been very blessed in my life to be in the right place at the right time and have come across great and amazing teachers in every aspect of my life. I LOVE MUSICAL THEATRE!!! haha. Dance is how I got into everything, from there the love just branched and expanded to so many different fascists of the art world. Thanks for reading along!!!

Yes As a Mater of Fact I am 22.

So I have a little bit of a Disney update for you all involving my apartment bedroom.

As I said in one of my previous posts I found my roommate through the facebook page. I already know that we are going to get along SO WELL because we have decided that we are going to have a Disney themed section of the apartment.

Yep that’s right we are in Disney so we might as well celebrate it!!!

She bought Minnie mouse bedding which were actually ones that I was looking into (we are already mind twins haha). So I decided to do a search and last week I found in a flyer that a local department store was having a sale on Disney bedding. Obviously I dragged my mother out with me to check it out.

The flyer advertised Little Mermaid comforter, sheets and pillowcases. PERFECT because Ariel is my favorite!!! I was so excited I ran into the store and way like where is me new bed at!?

Sadly there as no Ariel to be found. BUT I did find my other favorite princess Rapunzel. I was a little bummed that they didn’t have Ariel but I purchased the Rapunzel ones and here’s what they look like.

IMG_8885.jpg

I bought the comforter and the pillow case because the sheets were a little pricey for me.

IMG_8884.jpg

Honestly I was so HAPPY. I kept running through the store giggling and I just had to laugh because while I am 22 years old I tell everyone that I am a 5 year old stuck in a 22 year olds body. Literally, I am an child

So when I got in the car to take it home I had a 5 year old freak out. What if Rapunzel was creepy looking?! I hadn’t even thought to open it out and check her out. Now this may sound weird BUT Rapunzel looks so real in the movie and (I personally think) when they try to turn her into a cartoon she looks a little scary. I got home and opened the bag up just to make sure

IMG_8886.jpg

Phew, I could live with this AND it’s purple which is my favorite color.
IMG_8887.jpg

The more I thought about it the more I felt like I was cheating on Ariel though so the next day I went out to the same store different location to see if they had it and they were all sold out as well. But I did find a ton of really cheap Mickey bathroom stuff that I almost just bought it all, maybe next time.

Went home and looked on line and EVERYTHING in Ariel is sold out in all my local stores, check out ebay and they want over $140 for something that was $23 in the sotres, ummm no thanks. I kept the receipt and left everything in the bags (with the exception of the little freak out moment) so that if they ever do get the Ariel one back in stock we I can exchange it.

So that’s my exciting Disney news. That’s literally al the progress I have made this week with my move. It is approaching so quickly but work just takes up so much of my time…. Blaaaaaaah.

ANYWAYS.

Andy and I (who I haven’t actually introduced formally on here) always take Fridays off of work. We work at the same grocery store and they are always scheduling him in the morning and me at night, we are in two separate departments so I feel like we never see each other. So we have made Fridays our date night.

Last weeks date night we went with my little borhter and sister and Brittany (Sam’s friend, from the YOLO Trip) to the drive in to see…

IMG_1216.jpg

It was a really great time. We borrowed Andy’s Dad’s GIANT truck. Literally this thing is HUGE. It’s a diesel and sounds like a school bus, to be 100% honest I feel stupid when I ride in it, I feel like people think “what are those little kids doing in that giant truck?!”

So we all packed up the truck and head out to have a good movie night, we were filled ot the brim with snacks and blankets and we all ready for an amazing night

IMG_1208.jpg

Yay Drive In!!!

IMG_1211.jpg

When we got there they told us we could either park in the front row or the back row. We opted for the back because we didn’t want to get stuck on the end. Andy had one heck of a time backing the truck in, we parked in one spot in the back row and one of the attendants told us we had to move because if someone parked in the row behind us they wouldn’t be able to see. We didn’t realize there was a row behind us so we moved.

After a little bit of a difficult time trying to squeeze the GIANT BEAST into a small spot we set up camp.

IMG_1212.jpg

They had a little snack shack type thing that sells popcorn and pizza and all your typical movie snacks. When I saw the name of it I was like DISNEY!!!

IMG_1215.jpg

It was the most beautiful night to go to the drive in and we had the perfect little set up

IMG_1217.jpg

They sky was pink and beautiful and it was the perfect temperature hot without being overly sticky

IMG_1218.jpg

While we were sitting waiting for the movie to start a guy walked by and said that we were picture perfect and he asked if he could take our picture for us so I gave him my phone.

IMG_1220.jpg

After he took the picture and walked away everyone looked at me and was like “why did you hand that stranger your phone?!” KC my brother actually said “I was getting ready to jump off the truck and chase him down if he ran away with it”

I guess I wasn’t thinking. You mean this isn’t Disney and not everyone is just willing to take your picture? Whoops, my bad. Good news is he took the picture and returned my camera.

We watched the movie and I liked it, granted it wasn’t my favorite. I thought it was kind of overly predictable but it was cute. Andy however was not a fan. Too bad. The second movie was The Avnengers but I fell asleep within the first half an hour, when I woke up it was like 1:30 and I had no idea what was going on in the movie and I felt like I was starting to get sick, my nose would not stop running. The movie ended and we made our way home at like 2am. Poor Andy had to work at 7:30 the next morning so it was like a Disney trip all over again.

That’s about all I have for you today!!! I am hoping to do some more shopping/packing but I am going camping in the 1,000 Islands with the family from Sunday to Tuesday so we will see how that goes.

Thanks to everyone for reading along!!!

Just read all of your updates! I'm so happy that you decided to have this up while you're working at DISNEY!!!

Your costuming skills are so AWESOME! When you mentioned bits and pieces of it in your TR, I just couldn't quite imagine all of it. The pictures are amazing! You're so talented!

Can't wait to read more!

All your costuming/stage make-up experience looks so fun! I only got as far as my own stage makeup and dealing my pointe shoes/tutus before I had to give up dance. I love following stage/costuming blogs so more detail is better. I think being in costuming sounds better than being in attractions or BBB, but working backstage was always my favorite part of performances. There's such a great camaraderie.

I think your bedding is cute, even though I'm partial to Ariel sheets. I had an Ariel set as a kid and it was one of my favorites. Have you checked Amazon? I feel like you can find anything on there!

I am here and loving this!
You do SUCH a good job on all of the costumes!
I am very happy that you get to have this experience. I cannot wait for the day to come when I get to do the DCP. It is like my dream!
I can't wait for more updates!

I'm here, too!
I LOVE your story on how you have gotten to where you are!! I'm so excited for you to experience DCP!!
I am SO impressed with your costuming abilities, that is so awesome! I truly hope you go far in whatever you do!!
I truly hope your DCP experience is a great one, and you want to extend your time there!! Do you think you would want to work there permanantly?

Ben and I went to the drive-in to watch Brave too!! I really enjoyed it, but it wasn't my fave Disney movie.

I just had to laugh at you and your bedding situation! I'm 24 and married and was looking at Disney bedding on the Disney Store website yesterday and was all kinds of upset that they don't make Disney bedding for queen beds!! What is with that?!:rotfl:

ROFL at your new bedding set. I think it's PERFECT for your new endeavor. AND I am the exact same way and I would have opened it to check and make sure that the princess didn't have a creepy/ugly face.

Glad that you had a good time at the movies!

Sunshine

I'm following along!! I'm moving to Kissimmee next month! Can't wait to read more!!

Nothing wrong with some good old Disney bedding. When I was like 20 i had the whole Lion King bedding :rotfl2:

YAY!!! I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one. I am also lucky because any time Andy sees ANYTHING Disney that can go in a bedroom/bathroom/or kitchen he always says "I ca't wait until we get our Disney house!!!" how did I ever luck out with such a guy :lovestruc

I really like the bedding you got she doesnt look scary at all ;) and purple my fav too

Thanks, I was so worried she was going to look scary lol glad she wasn't :rotfl:

Just read all of your updates! I'm so happy that you decided to have this up while you're working at DISNEY!!!

Your costuming skills are so AWESOME! When you mentioned bits and pieces of it in your TR, I just couldn't quite imagine all of it. The pictures are amazing! You're so talented!

Can't wait to read more!

Me too, I am really looking forward to sharing my experiences and more importantly having them all documented. i am not one for keeping journals because I am the slowest writer ever so typing it up makes it so much easier.

AHHHHH I can hardly believe it is approaching so quickly. I will be working and living in DISNEY!!! SO SOON.

Thank you. thank you. thank you. I try my hardest at all my costuming endeavors and I think it helps that I am perfectionist when it comes to things like that :rotfl:

All your costuming/stage make-up experience looks so fun! I only got as far as my own stage makeup and dealing my pointe shoes/tutus before I had to give up dance. I love following stage/costuming blogs so more detail is better. I think being in costuming sounds better than being in attractions or BBB, but working backstage was always my favorite part of performances. There's such a great camaraderie.

I think your bedding is cute, even though I'm partial to Ariel sheets. I had an Ariel set as a kid and it was one of my favorites. Have you checked Amazon? I feel like you can find anything on there!

I am really excited to get the backstage experience at Disney. Mostly because there are many people who will be able to say that they worked attraction/food&bev at Disney but not many people can say they have done costuming.

I am afraid that they will have me doing laundry forever but there is always room for improvement. Maybe one day someone will lose a button and I'll be able to show off my skills :rotfl:

I had an Ariel sheet set that followed me from the age of like 6 all the way through my first two years of college!!! That's why I wanted Ariel so badly. I wonder if we had the same set haha. I am definitely keeping my eyes peeled for the Ariel comforter.

I am here and loving this!
You do SUCH a good job on all of the costumes!
I am very happy that you get to have this experience. I cannot wait for the day to come when I get to do the DCP. It is like my dream!
I can't wait for more updates!

YAY!!! I am so glad you we were able to make it to another report of mine :goodvibes

Thank you times a million!!!

I remember all those years of waiting and believe me it will FLY BY!!! You're time will be here before you know it and I hope that I can read all about it.

I'm here, too!
I LOVE your story on how you have gotten to where you are!! I'm so excited for you to experience DCP!!
I am SO impressed with your costuming abilities, that is so awesome! I truly hope you go far in whatever you do!!
I truly hope your DCP experience is a great one, and you want to extend your time there!! Do you think you would want to work there permanantly?

Ben and I went to the drive-in to watch Brave too!! I really enjoyed it, but it wasn't my fave Disney movie.

I just had to laugh at you and your bedding situation! I'm 24 and married and was looking at Disney bedding on the Disney Store website yesterday and was all kinds of upset that they don't make Disney bedding for queen beds!! What is with that?!:rotfl:

Yippie!!! and thanks so much for joining in :thumbsup2 I have had one heck of a ride but it's finally my turn. I really just don't even believe it!!!

Thank you times a million for all your kind words :goodvibes It has always been my dream to work for Disney, since the age of six. Everyone I went to college with were stunned when I came in the door with one goal and graduating on my way there. When I set goals I am a real go getter. That being said I don't know if I will stay there for good immediately after my program ends because Andy still has two/three years left of schooling left. I might come back to work here to save up money but nothing is set in stone yet. I am really looking to see how I like it while I am there and what doors open up. It's kind of a 6 month trial move :rotfl:

I agree about Brave. It's not that I hated it or anything. We enjoyed it and will see it again in time, it just wasn't my all time favorite.

I am all about having Disney sheet until i am 90 years old haha.

ROFL at your new bedding set. I think it's PERFECT for your new endeavor. AND I am the exact same way and I would have opened it to check and make sure that the princess didn't have a creepy/ugly face.

Glad that you had a good time at the movies!

Sunshine

Thank you, I like it a lot as well. I figure this might be my last chance to have it. I have a pretty big bed at home that a relative game to me when they got a new mattress and they don't make Disney sheets big enough for it (that I can afford anyways) So I might as well go all out on my last chance :rotfl:

I'm following along!! I'm moving to Kissimmee next month! Can't wait to read more!!

Thanks for reading along!!! How exciting I bet your move is very quickly approaching. I hope it doesn't sneak up on you like this move seems to be doing to me :rotfl2:

YAY!!! I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one. I am also lucky because any time Andy sees ANYTHING Disney that can go in a bedroom/bathroom/or kitchen he always says "I ca't wait until we get our Disney house!!!" how did I ever luck out with such a guy :lovestruc

Haha...my brother would say the same thing. Could be the fact we are DVC members and they say Welcome Home every time or just because he considers everything we stay in for a night "Our _____ House." Like since we have a beach house it is our beach house and our actual house is "Our Blue House" because it is bright blue lol

I am afraid that they will have me doing laundry forever but there is always room for improvement. Maybe one day someone will lose a button and I'll be able to show off my skills :rotfl:

Yeah, you show 'em that you can sew buttons like a fiend! :rotfl2:

;)

Sunshine

I followed you over from your YOLO report...so I'm definitely subscribing to this one!

Congrats on the college program! How exciting!!! I cannot wait for more! (btw, I act like a 5 year old too!) :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter