• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Whole New World of Disney ~ Lia's Birthday Shore & Sea Dream Trip! UPDATED 6/24!!!!

Room service on the cruise seems like such a great idea. DH and I will have to try it this summer!

I can't wait to get back to Castaway Cay someday. Hopefully we'll be able to sneak out to Serenity Bay when all 3 kids are old enough for the Kids' clubs!

I'm so glad I decided to come back on today!! I started reading the land portion of this whenever you started it, and am super glad you've continued!!
Vacation we went on last month the other girls ended with a cruise, so I've been living through tr's to really see what it's all about, and yours is just perfection!! Glad you came on to finish it!!
The stories and reviews, and pictures are AMAZING! I DEFINITELY want to cruise, and in the near future..and with a veranda...lol!
Can't wait to read more!

APRIL 12, 2014
Day 6, Part 5 In Which We Say Farewell To Our Friends

After enjoying a relaxing afternoon, it was time for us to get all fancy for our very last show and dinner.

It was sad, but honestly I was very pooped. The cruise is more tiring than you can probably imagine - I didn't think it would be so exhausting! It doesn't seem like it would be, especially when you're used to the parks all day every day, but it really is.

We took some pictures with Walt before the show, you know, as you do.

25309691212_662825c445_z.jpg

Yes, we matched tonight.
11972902063_55e9653dd8_o.png

25060447759_a718e65d66_z.jpg

Our last show of the cruise was Disney's Believe, which is presented on this ship, the Dream, and also all sailings on the Disney Fantasy. We headed over to the magical Walt Disney Theatre, sat down, and took our last WDT Selfie!

25826082345_f36ea75fe4_o.jpg

The premise of Believe is that there is a young girl who's father does not believe in magic. HOW DARE YOU SIR, THIS IS A DISNEY CRUISE!

Anyway, with the help of many Disney characters, spoiler alert... he may in fact come to believe magic is real! The main character who comes into the picture is the genie, but many many others have their classic musical numbers. I feel like the point of these cruise shows is basically just "Here is a Disney song you all know, but live. Here's another. And another!" Which is fine, no complaints here, but this show wasn't knocking my socks off. The Golden Mickeys from Night 1 was definitely by far my favorite.

If you don't want to know the characters featured in the show, SKIP AHEAD NOW!!

SPOILERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSOKAy so Jess died because Peter Pan was in this one, flying and everything. Very very cool. My personal favorite part was this huge Princess and the Frog section with Tiana, Naveen and a ton of singers and dancers (lots of great people in the company here, and I read there were over 300 costumes total in the whole show!) are performing in front of a huge, lit up, New Orleans-style riverboat doing "Gonna Take You There" and "Dig A Little Deeper". Honestly, two years later this was by far the most memorable from the show. I also enjoyed that Pocahontas, one of the most underused entities in the Disney canon, had a section featuring herself and even Grandmother Willow! "Listen With Your Heart" lead in "Colors of the Wind".

There was a fun princess scene at the end with Aurora, Phillip, Cinderella, Charming, Tiana, Naveen, Jasmine and Aladdin where they were in a pretty ballroom and each did a little bit of their classic love songs. Very cool for any princess fans like us!

In between the show and dinner, we had some time (Seriously, having the show first is so much better than picking dinner first!) so we went to go meet Minnie, who was in her beyond fabulous Hollywood attire.

25401874096_6b1cccf369_z.jpg

Of course we had her be hot and fancy with us because she is the hottest and fanciest!

From there we returned to Royal Palace, where we had opted into a sit down lunch the day before. This was our last dining rotation and we were very excited, but not that hungry. Honestly, we ate too much on this cruise. Next time, I am pacing myself!

25335062911_6005d896ef_z.jpg

Remember the Cinderella carriage bread baskets?

25401874146_2db444741b_z.jpg

Such a nice touch.

Anyway, we didn't even order appetizers! I know, I know. But nothing sounded particularly amazing and we had eaten too much. I can't believe I was this burned out from eating after only a couple days... the week long cruise would need to be handled differently.

Jess got the Lobster Macaroni - pasta mixed with lobster meat, tarragon, gruyere and cheddar cheese sauce with a white truffle olive oil

25309691592_a20fe5de91_z.jpg

I got the steak, green beans, and mashed potatoes which is just one of my favorite meals to have in general. The menu description I have doesn't seem to actually fit what this was, but it was good.

25195574954_5011c6b864_z.jpg

Of course we still got dessert cause it's us. Mine was the sampler

25705118022_a74fa264c6_z.jpg

Sweet Temptations - trio of peanut butter mousse, mango cheesecake and Tahitian vanilla creme brulee.

Jess got the full size of the mousse

25401874216_468eeb512a_z.jpg

Peanut Butter Mousse - dark chocolate infused with peanut butter, chiffon cake, and whipped cream
The desserts were the best part. I actually wouldn't be opposed to eating lighter during the meal and having more dessert. Unlimited desserts is just too much fun.

Toward the end of the meal, we got our breakfast tickets for the next morning.

25525397610_0746784834_z.jpg

Yes, that says 8 am. Ugggghh. I know that they want to get us out early, but if you could enjoy the ship until say, 11am or something, it would be fully appreciated. Also, I don't know why you need tickets for this meal but not for any others. Hmm.

We had one of our servers take a photo of the table, and I'm so happy we did! It's nice to have a memory of all these people. We got a really good group, as I said earlier in the report, there was at least one Cast Member in every party so we all had Disney very much in common. Of course it would have been fine if we had older couples with us or families with kids, but it worked out well to have all Disney people our age with us. Very fun!

25309691732_c2fb1a2a01_z.jpg

We actually kind of rushed through the end of dinner because the Farewell Party was starting outside the restaurant. I have to be honest, I was so so tired that I was just like whatever, but it was really cute of course.

Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Daisy, Donald, Chip and Dale all came out on the balcony singing and dancing, moved down the stairs and this all happened very fast, I actually missed most of it.

25195579524_231c5347e9_z.jpg

25909723805_e302be8d65_z.jpg

That was okay though, because that is only the beginning of the whole thing. After that, they all walk down to the ballroom and do meet & greets. So when they say Farewell Show, they mean a couple minutes of music and dancing while the characters come out, then it's basically just another character gathering, and then more dancing and music as they say goodbye. It is all very fast and very rushed.

I had to use the bathroom, so Jess got in line. I will never ever forget what I saw when I came out. Jess is adorable.

So, okay, you all know how much I love meeting characters. I AM a freaking character. You've all seen tons and tons of character pictures and heard about my endless meet & greets at the parks. I LOVE IT. One of my favorite things to do. Some people think it's weird to get so much enjoyment as an adult for something that many perceive as a children's charade. I could not care less what they think, I will always enjoy the character meets.

But at this point in the trip, I was so so tired, and these were characters we had already met more than once on the cruise alone. I just didn't have much energy for this. I know I sound like scrooge, and right now I would love to be meeting characters, but at the time I was over it. I would have very happily gone elsewhere on the ship and done something new or seen a part of it we hadn't yet. I never ever thought I would tire of meeting characters, but I did, and it was like pandemonium in there. I saw so many children around us who probably had not had all the experiences that were under my belt, so I kinda hung back for a bit.

Jess, who at this point lived at Disney for over a year and has had what I'm sure amounts to well over a hundred more character meets than I have, was completely NOT over meeting characters and it was too cute. I walked out of the restroom and saw her next in line to meet Pluto. The look on her face was that of a child visiting Disney and seeing their favorite character for the first time. Her enthusiasm did not die in the slightest having met Pluto 100 times, including on this cruise. She threw her arms open, Pluto threw his open, and she dove into a hug. It was precious. I walked up and she was thrilled that I came just in time to snap yet another photo of her and her favorite character.

25883857106_42dac40a75_z.jpg

Her undying love is appreciated! I just didn't like the way this whole thing was being put on, because it was so rushed. They were shuffling people through SO FAST. Please, if it's important to you or your child to have genuine character experiences, DO NOT wait until the Farewell Show to do so. The attendants kept yelling "ONE PHOTO PER FAMILY AND PLEASE HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH BOOKS OPEN AND READY, WE NEED TO GET THROUGH AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE!" Whoa whoa, what's the rush?! I have no idea why they crunched it into such little time. It's not like we got there 30 minutes after the characters were announced - they had just come out!

Jess and I were running around like mad people, with m&gs lasting less than a minute in most cases. I think they need to allot more time for this, it was just crazy. Now, don't let me deter you from doing it - Jess was having the time of her life. I mentioned how lame it was due to the rushed nature of things and she disagreed, she found it exhilarating and was excited to get a ton of new character pictures in a short period of time. For me, I don't really care about the picture if there isn't an actual moment behind it that I want to remember beyond just say hi-hug-take picture-say goodbye. We had just had a big meal, I was so tired, and this was my 4th time meeting some of these characters on this trip alone so I didn't care to run around under pressure trying to get all of them in one last time.

If it wasn't supposed to be done in 2 microseconds and we actually had nice experiences with each character, I wouldn't have minded, but there is just so much to do on a Disney ship and I wanted to do something else at this point. At the same time, it was cool to have a final hurrah with all the characters, so I guess I have mixed feelings.

I was about to sit in a corner and rock back and forth if I had to rush through another hug and photo, but Jess's enthusiasm kept me going.

The one character I actually did want to meet again was Mickey Mouse, because he is my favorite and he was in his Captain Mickey outfit, so I thought that would be a cute picture.

25909728035_5c488928b3_z.jpg

And it was!

25281097103_cae4d03030_z.jpg

Sigh... what a handsome devil.

Then we met more characters. Lots of hugs. Lots of pictures. Lots of counting to ten instead of having an emotional breakdown. I'm being dramatic for comedic purposes, it obviously was fun in a frenetic, surreal way.

25789038662_e03c3cc5e3_z.jpg

Not every day you're floating in the middle of the ocean with the Disney Gang, you know?

25609227740_e109df7f5f_z.jpg

We also met Donald, Goofy, and Minnie... I think some even more than once. I don't know you guys, I was about to turn into a fur character myself from all these interactions, my head was spinning!

At some point, a few of the princesses wandered out and there was absolutely no order to anything and kids were just freaking out and running up to them. It was pretty cute but I was hanging back at this point. At first I just saw Belle and Tiana, but then Snow came out literally seconds before the end of this whole shebang, and she knew us at this point so we said hello one last time

25609175780_26ba29d651_z.jpg

She said something like, "Well, we sure have been seeing a lot of each other lately, haven't we?" Oh that Snow :laughing:

Last edited:
I've haven't made it over to the Serenity Bay side of the island yet but the pictures are just beautiful. I can just imagine the peaceful quiet you captured in the pictures. Heaven!

Oh I really hope you'll get to next time - it has to be seen to be believed :)

Love your reports Lia - great pictures, funny, overall entertaining - thanks much!

You're very welcome, thank you for reading!

Room service on the cruise seems like such a great idea. DH and I will have to try it this summer!

I can't wait to get back to Castaway Cay someday. Hopefully we'll be able to sneak out to Serenity Bay when all 3 kids are old enough for the Kids' clubs!

Yes yes you must - especially the unlimited Mickey Bars!

I know what you mean, I can't wait to get back either! I think about it all the time.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Also, your idea for a blog should be a "must do"!

awdwnut

Thanks for the encouragement! Stay tuned :upsidedow

I'm so glad I decided to come back on today!! I started reading the land portion of this whenever you started it, and am super glad you've continued!!
Vacation we went on last month the other girls ended with a cruise, so I've been living through tr's to really see what it's all about, and yours is just perfection!! Glad you came on to finish it!!
The stories and reviews, and pictures are AMAZING! I DEFINITELY want to cruise, and in the near future..and with a veranda...lol!
Can't wait to read more!

Hey Katt!! I'm glad you came back too yaaaaayyy Dis reunion! I hope you get to cruise soon, and if you need someone to go with... Hello, friend. :D

APRIL 12, 2014
Day 6, Part 6 In Which We Meet The Get Ups!

It's amazing how you can have so many fantastic experiences on your trip, but sometimes the last night holds some of the most wonderful surprises.

Shortly after we took our last character photo (whew) of the trip, the music started up again and all the characters except the princesses started dancing again and making their way up the stairs.

25814861251_dd7ef655a2_z.jpg

25826100555_476c30d9af_z.jpg

LOVE this next photo by Jess, the composition is just so interesting, she captured the perfect moment!

25814809151_bf46c11bea_z.jpg

25705136912_161cc72730_z.jpg

25609227900_f8a19b8deb_z.jpg

At the end, they all went up to the balcony and slowly said goodbye one at a time.

25277079634_fa50827393_z.jpg

25826096605_826a164711_z.jpg

25281092943_cc60d4ebf1_z.jpg

Donald was living.

25826086825_32d0eb2e17_z.jpg

Bye Mickey :'(

25195574964_1881fa3fe0_z.jpg

Even though we were tired, it was our last chance to explore the ship so we wandered around for awhile.

25800022316_fdbfa096f0_z.jpg

A pianist started playing after the Farewell music ended, and it was lovely.

25705116532_21161b628f_z.jpg

We went back to the shops so that I could get the Ariel shirt I picked out the first night we arrived. Jess got a cruise Alex & Ani, and we contemplated the DCL Dooneys but ended up not buying one. They are really really cute, but not my style, and to spend that much it has to be something I will carry all the time or I don't feel like it's worth it.

I read the Rapunzel wedding book again ;____;

25195586654_e844d36ab1_z.jpg

RAPUNZEL SAID OF COURSE. Sigh. I love this couple.

I thought it was pretty cool that the captain of the ship was doing a meet & greet in one of the stores. Hey man, if you're down here, who's driving this thing?

25705142702_ce5a0a6615_z.jpg

I made my last pin trade of the trip and it could not have been better!

25826094795_21d1102a06_z.jpg

That's a Minnie Mouse Pirates of the Caribbean pin! Very very cooooool.

At this point, Jess just wanted to go back to the room and pack but I was like "Girl, we are hitting the club." And I'm not even a "Girl, we are hitting the club" kind of person, but we had done all the ultra-Disney stuff and I really didn't want to leave the ship without experiencing some of the nightlife! I pretty much live for live music and I knew the ship had a house band, so I really needed to check that out.

25800026966_56aa6fe1ed_z.jpg

I think that because I'm not a big going out and drinking/clubbing kinda gal, it just made the nightlife on the Dream even more appealing. Though I'm sure there can always be exceptions, I feel an almost guaranteed sense of safety in a Disney environment which is definitely something I don't feel on the NYC club scene. So I think if you're not really the going out type, you will still enjoy the nightlife aboard the ship.

There are several different areas to choose from, but I stopped dead in my tracks once we got to the District Lounge. The band, called The Get Ups, was playing a Fleetwood Mac song and the girl sounded remarkably like Stevie Nicks, and not in a copycat, karaoke way - she was actually really good. Then I noticed the cute guitarist and well, my feet stayed planted. They played The White Stripes "Seven Nation Army" next, and it was such a cool combination of songs to do one after another. I immediately liked them because it was clear right away that they were not some hokey cruise ship cover band, they are truly talented. I think I originally planned on staying for a song or two, but Jess and I quickly fell in love with The Get Ups and stayed in the District Lounge until closing time.

25199480163_39c9e42daf_z.jpg

They were finished with their set after 2 songs but were coming right back for another one, thank God. Because I am obsessed with bands, I always just go right up to the musicians when they are done and talk to them about how amazing they are. They are from the UK and had just finished up a residency in Abu Dhabi before joining the Disney Dream! They only do cover songs (though they said Disney has been really cool with them and would probably let them do originals), and they let us look through their book and make requests!

25705124442_cb69b915ef_z.jpg

I requested "Don't Speak" by No Doubt, one of my all-time favorite songs. I knew the lead singer, Anna, would be amazing doing it because she really has one of those great female powerhouse voices. Jess chose "Brown Eyed Girl" because it is a classic from her childhood that people would always say was her song.

We sat right up front for their final set and it was amazing!

25199469883_f01c2d1ff0_z.jpg

What really blew is that the club closed at midnight! Bleeeh really? That's just when the party gets started COME ON GUYS. As we are known to do, we lingered, and the band pretty much just came right off stage and the five of us chatted for a good long time. It was awesome to learn more about them, they were such nice people.

One funny thing was they mentioned that they kept hearing this phrase "he's good people" or "she's good people" which they don't say in England. They thought it was weird because people is plural, but here in America we sometimes use that phrase to describe one person. I guess you had to be there but it was so amusing because they seemed genuinely confused by this and had heard it often on the ship, lol. The guitarist, John, became even cuter once we became familiar with his English accent and Jess was 500% in love with him. In fact, she randomly started calling him Johnny.

This was definitely one of my favorite things on the entire cruise and I am pleased to say The Get Ups started another contract on the Dream last fall, so they are there right now! Please don't miss them if you are boarding soon, and if you are on a different ship, try to check out whatever band they have too. I was honestly so impressed with their talents and we had so much fun hanging with them too. I hated that we had to leave and regretted waiting til the last night to come see them! They said they would love to play NYC someday so you never know, hopefully I'll get to see them again someday.

After staying well past closing, we said goodbye to the band and headed back to our stateroom to find this

25525415430_2fec47044e_z.jpg

They took Jess's sunglasses for the towel animal, haha! Your guess is as good as mine as to what it is... Miss Piggy? I don't know.

I went out on the verandah for few minutes before bed because it is just too amazing to see the middle of the ocean at night like that. We were totally zonked though so dreamland was not far behind.

UP NEXT: Disembarking & back to Walt Disney World!

Ugh, too many cruise feels!! That nightlife sounds awesome, and what a way to end your last night!!!
I've definitely decided that I need to experience a verandah! It's just too pretty to not have! Lol

I was wondering if you had checked out the nightclubs! Sounds like it was a great way to end the cruise!

APRIL 13, 2014
Day 7, Part 1 In Which The Dream Is Over

Omg... what a depressing title. I'm sorry, but it's accurate. What a sad morning leaving the Dream!

We woke up to tons of notifications on our phones. Whoa, that's right! Phones!

I have to say, for someone who quite enjoys social media and communication, I had no problem having three days off from all of it.

Throughout the day, if I find myself waiting for anything, I immediately pull out my phone. It's as if I can't just stand or sit there without being entertained, and on the cruise it's nice that you do not have that option. Look around, talk to people, just BE for a minute or two. I also really enjoy posting updates and photos when I'm on vacation, but I didn't miss it very much during the cruise. It was cool to not feel that pull of "That's a great picture, let me post it. Oh but the lighting is crappy, okay let me go in and edit it. Oh and let me fix the color. Okay, gotta crop it. Here we go, posting to Facebook. Now let me add a white border for Instagram, that will frame it better. Oh wow, I already have a comment on the Facebook post. Like." You know?

As I mentioned in an earlier update, breakfast is at 8am sharp at Royal Palace. You need to bring all of your luggage down to the restaurant too, which is weird.

What I remember about this meal is that I was not really hungry because as you know, on this cruise we ate like our lives were about to end. It's as if they knew I would feel this way, because the breakfast was kinda wimpy.

26032872331_a35076d48c_o.png

It didn't taste bad, but it was just very lackluster. It was very much like, "This is over people, get out!" I don't think I could have handled a full on breakfast anyway though, so it was fine.

After breakfast, we went back out into the lobby to disembark and saw the saddest thing ever:

25826387810_44941b7421_z.jpg

No more appearances. It's too upsetting!! ;___; GOODBYE DREAM.

The disembarking process is pretty painless. We went through a huuuuuuge, warehouse-like room in a long, long line of all the passengers to go through security. Photography was not allowed but we were too sad to take pictures anyway! At the same time, we were so ridiculously tired that it was kind of like, "The cruise is over? Okay fine. Nap time."

The ride back to Orlando was uneventful except for the fact that there were a MILLION tolls and a lot of them were a full dollar. It was not easy to scrounge up that money because cash is pretty much useless on the cruise, so we had very little on us. Odd that there weren't nearly as many on the way to Port Canaveral, but on the way back, they were everywhere! Remember to ~*Be Prepared*~ Lion King style if you are driving!

My flight was not til later in the day, but Jess had a ton of things she needed to get done around her apartment, like laundry and stuff, before she got back to reality, school and work. I could have gone to Disney on my own, but the tired. Oh oh, the tired.

Jess made a To-Do List, then flitted around getting things done and told me I could choose from her roommate's (shout out to Megan!) extensive DVD collection, but I literally just laid on her couch for 3 hours. Me, the movie queen, did not even watch a movie. That would have required leaving the couch, opening a DVD case, inserting it into the player, and hitting "Play".

I mean, I had my phone and all, but I don't even remember looking at it that much. I was that insanely, obscenely tired, that I did not need entertainment for over 3 hours.

Jess's apartment at this time was a sight to behold for any Disney fan, as I have said before, it was like a Disney museum and I loved it. While she was finishing up her work, she lugged out her impressive pinbooks for me to look at. While I love the pins, especially pin trading, I don't know if I will ever get that intense with it. I hate collecting things that I feel just sit there, but I have to say so many of the pins are very artful and interesting and each one has a story, where you were when you traded or bought it. I'm also running out of places to display my pins, so books may be in order, hmmm...

(Cut to me having 27 pin books)

:laughing:

I made sure all my stuff was packed up for the plane and we headed to our very special late lunch/early dinner destination, Animal Kingdom Lodge!

You didn't think we could get through a day without visiting Disney property, did you?

25496613333_9ab5ebd7a0_o.png

26073288136_dfd83e5681_o.png

26032873431_652e6dfe65_o.png

25826387690_27144fd87b_o.png

25826387920_483773e1c8_o.png

We explored Jambo House and Kidani Village, but first it was food time. I had mentioned that I was in the mood for The Mara's dish of African Stew earlier in the trip, which had gotten Jess obsessed with the idea of having it as well.

26099222605_03d6847410_o.png

I think this is one of the best dishes at Walt Disney World, especially for quick service. The fact that I don't know of anywhere around home that I can get African Stew makes it a must do on almost every trip!

For dessert, they had some cute seasonal bunny cupcakes:

26099223175_c0d9cffa02_o.png

26006702632_3190a2e212_o.png

They also had the Safari/Zebra Cupcake I usually get at Kusafiri in Africa at DAK, but I went with my favorite AKL cupcake, the Orange Marmalade Cupcake.

25494464874_1e65b8db62_o.png

Definitely one of my favorite cupcakes in the World or the real world, for that matter. I got this same meal on my most recent trip and I will many times in the future, I'm sure!

After we ate, exploring Kidani and watching the giraffes was the perfect final activity to do on this trip that just felt non-stop. It was very relaxing and peaceful. The way they move is so graceful, it calms me so much.

25494476264_2994057d57_o.png

26006712882_4bcd9f12fc_o.png

26032886071_57c1ea9c69_o.png

26073300456_2b4e93a247_o.png

25496623323_b7e2108bd1_o.png

We lingered for awhile, and then unfortunately, it was time for Jess to drive me to the airport.

We all know how upsetting leaving Disney World can be. I'm sure many of you can relate to the fact that I often cry and have trouble accepting my time in the magic bubble is over. However, at this time I was actually feeling a little sick because I was so exhausted, and I was ready to leave. So I didn't cry on the way to the airport, and I wasn't feeling that usual depression.

This was in April 2014, and I knew Jess was going to Disneyland for her 2nd College Program that fall, so the chance I would see her again that year was very low. When we said goodbye, it all hit me, and I had to console myself to not cry hysterically right in front of her. We hugged several times, and then as soon as I entered the airport, I completely lost it. It was everything: leaving my friend, leaving Disney, and reflecting on things that had happened in my life recently. I have never cried so hard ending a trip before. I was so upset that I had to sit on a bench and cry it out before going through security.

Whew. The Disney Experience is intense.

Once I got on the plane, I was cheered up by the beautiful Orlando sunset I got to experience:

26073287666_18f4ef2af0_o.png

25826386980_ef8a63ba05_o.png

26073287296_0864d6e504_o.png

Breathtaking!

25826387740_8041a67dce_o.png

26032873551_91f3d0bbb4_o.png

26099223085_e184bda583_o.png

Hello, New York. I'm coming home!

25494465464_6129042e08_o.png

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Overall, this was one of my best trips ever. Though it's slightly regrettable that it's taken SO LONG for me to finish this report, in a way I think taking time adds some reflection which can be helpful in describing what has really made an impression even after two years. I tend to be very detailed when I write, sometimes to a fault, so being able to focus more on what stands out two years later is a positive thing in my mind.

The first part of the trip, getting to be in Disney for my birthday with two of my best friends was PRICELESS. Each day was magic, but the actual day of my birthday is still one of the craziest, most memorable, and over all best days I have ever had in Walt Disney World.

The cruise was obviously just a whole other story. I think about it frequently and I am sure I will go again. However, I would still much rather be in the parks, which is why I've had two Disney World-only trips since then. Some people do DCL and get addicted, making it a priority to go every year. While that didn't happen to me, I think there is a ton of value in doing a cruise, and if you are a diehard Disney fan who loves the parks, you have to try it
at least once in your life. I travel a lot for other reasons, but if I didn't spend my money on non-Disney trips the past 2 years, I would probably have added DCL onto a WDW trip already.

I loved the Dream, and would be very happy to go back on it for nostalgia purposes and The Get Ups being back on it (their latest contract actually just ended, but hopefully they'll be back someday!), but I am more eager to try one of the other ships.

Of course, the service was wonderful, the ship was very clean and safe, there were so many beautiful details. The Disney Difference is alive and well here, and I just have no desire to ever do a cruise that is not Disney because I know I will be rolling my eyes the entire time when another brand's quality does not match up. Also, Pluto won't be on a non-Disney Cruise and I think we all know that is unacceptable.

One of my favorite things was just walking around and seeing all the breathtaking Disney artwork, enjoying the simple design of the ship with all the Disney touches.

As I've said before, Castaway Cay is by far my favorite thing about the cruise experience. I won't repeat myself cause I spoke enough about it in former updates, but that to me is what makes a Disney Cruise a must-do.

Jess and I found the food to be a little disappointing - it's definitely better at Walt Disney World. However, of course, it being unlimited is just really too fun, but I think it gets old fast because your body is just not used to that. By the 2nd day I just felt perpetually full even when I knew I wasn't. You think about how many people in the world have no food and here you are ordering 3 appetizers, 2 entrees, and 78 desserts. It's gluttonous. But man, still fun! My advice to anyone on the cruise is to pace yourself in the beginning so you're not sick of eating. Especially if I did a longer cruise: I would seriously, seriously pace myself. I would eat less at the beginning, like I mentioned, but I would definitely book a Palo or Remy reservation.

The shows are not as Broadway quality as Disney would like you to believe - they are also better at Walt Disney World, but I still enjoyed them.

The DCL character experience is pretty unique and exciting, if you really enjoy meeting characters, I think a cruise is a must-do for you.

The Disney movies on the in-room TV is so much fun, the films they show at the pool are great too, and the movie theatre aboard the ship is just awesome. It would be nice to have a longer cruise to get to enjoy these things more.

Having a verandah, as I said, is priceless just for the experience of walking to the balcony and experiencing the middle of the beautiful ocean. It really is very singular and breathtaking, worth every penny.

Knowing what I know now, I would definitely get a verandah next time and I would spend more time on it. That's my #1 cruise regret is not spending more time just sitting out there and enjoying that.

I would get up at the crack of dawn to spend as much time as possible on Castaway Cay and try and do all the activities we didn't do while leaving a lot of the day for Serenity Bay time. I would go see the band every night and explore the nightlife more.

I am so thankful I got to experience another side of the Walt Disney Company and I can only imagine what future adventures are in store!

After this trip, I went to Disney World in September 2014 and November 2015, and I hope to return again this fall! I am not yet sure what I'm going to do in terms of trip reporting, but I am going to figure that out very soon and get back to you all.

Until then, you can follow my adventures via social media:
Instagram: capriamoon
Youtube Channel: youtube.com/capriamoon
Twitter: @babybritney

Thank you all SO MUCH for hanging in this long! I really appreciate every single one of you. I hope to see ya real soon! Have a magical day!

I am so glad you finished your report! Ironically, I just got off the Wonder on Monday. Much like you, I preferred WDW to the cruise we took on the Dream- a much too short 3-nighter. We just did the 7 night Alaskan on the Wonder, and I feel so much differently! I'm trying to convince DH we need to cruise every other year, and then WDW the off year! I'm currently in the midst of a no-trips-planned Disney Depression, so I cried while reading you cried at the airport! I hope you at least do a short TR on your latest travels!

Hello Lia! I don't mind at all that this trip took place in 2014. I am just so happy that you shared your birthday adventure with us. I look forward to reading more of your trip reports. Have also watched a few of your youtube videos and you are a BEAUTIFUL princess. Thanks so much!

I'm glad you finished this TR! I always enjoying reading about your adventures. Hope you decide to keep writing!

Hello Lia!
I'm still here lurking...always love reading your reports but never seem to find time to post anything! Wanted to rectify that now though & say thank you for another fabulous report. :)
As usual, your enthusiasm for Disney is infectious & I have very much enjoyed reading along.
Please keep writing on here as I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to read more of your Disney adventures!
Very best wishes,
S.x

Glad you finished this one! I've enjoyed reading each and every adventure along the way! I too am CRAVING that need for a nice solo trip down to WDW, naturally I wouldn't be alone because I'd end up seeing so many people down there, but STILL the idea to actually do whatever I want, and it's been so long since I've done a solo trip!!
BUT between Asia & needed to travel for tokyo auditions in Sept AND having to fly home for a friends wedding, it's definitely out of the books, which kills me because...Halloween...

SO SNAP ME ALL THE THINGS WHEN YOU GO! Lol

Long-time lurker here, so I figured this would be a good time to finally comment and say how much I've enjoyed reading your trip reports! I hope that you continue to write them, your voice is so unique!

I am so glad you finished your report! Ironically, I just got off the Wonder on Monday. Much like you, I preferred WDW to the cruise we took on the Dream- a much too short 3-nighter. We just did the 7 night Alaskan on the Wonder, and I feel so much differently! I'm trying to convince DH we need to cruise every other year, and then WDW the off year! I'm currently in the midst of a no-trips-planned Disney Depression, so I cried while reading you cried at the airport! I hope you at least do a short TR on your latest travels!

Thank you so much for reading it this long! Every other year sounds good to me. The Alaskan cruises really interest me, so it's nice to hear that now you are addicted :) I can only imagine how wonderful they are!

Hello Lia! I don't mind at all that this trip took place in 2014. I am just so happy that you shared your birthday adventure with us. I look forward to reading more of your trip reports. Have also watched a few of your youtube videos and you are a BEAUTIFUL princess. Thanks so much!

Aww, that's very sweet, thank you so much for reading it and checking out my Youtube channel! I really appreciate it. :love:

I'm glad you finished this TR! I always enjoying reading about your adventures. Hope you decide to keep writing!

Thanks so much!!1

Hello Lia!
I'm still here lurking...always love reading your reports but never seem to find time to post anything! Wanted to rectify that now though & say thank you for another fabulous report. :)
As usual, your enthusiasm for Disney is infectious & I have very much enjoyed reading along.
Please keep writing on here as I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to read more of your Disney adventures!
Very best wishes,
S.x

Hmm.. I remember you though! You're not a total lurker ;)

Thanks so much for reading & hanging in there!

Glad you finished this one! I've enjoyed reading each and every adventure along the way! I too am CRAVING that need for a nice solo trip down to WDW, naturally I wouldn't be alone because I'd end up seeing so many people down there, but STILL the idea to actually do whatever I want, and it's been so long since I've done a solo trip!!
BUT between Asia & needed to travel for tokyo auditions in Sept AND having to fly home for a friends wedding, it's definitely out of the books, which kills me because...Halloween...

SO SNAP ME ALL THE THINGS WHEN YOU GO! Lol

Kaaaatttttttt! Good luck at the auditions, they don't know what they're missing!

I'm sorry you can't go for Halloween, I hated missing it last year. I will snap you all the things!

Thanks for sharing your trip, I really enjoyed reading about it! :) Hope to see more TRs from you soon!!

Thanks so much for reading!

Long-time lurker here, so I figured this would be a good time to finally comment and say how much I've enjoyed reading your trip reports! I hope that you continue to write them, your voice is so unique!

Thank you for reading & coming out of the woodwork! :flower:

That's really nice of you to say, I hope I can be as unique & entertaining as possible with these things. It's funny how we are all writing about the same stuff yet so many of us have different experiences...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter