a word on free airline txts/freq flyer miles

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
Free airline tickets are not free any more....One of the biggest surprises of the new federal security tax is that the new tax is now being collected on most free tickets earned by travelers enrolled in airline frequent flyer programs. This means your free ticket is not free any more.

Very true, it can cost you up to a max. of 10.00 round trip for the security fee.
IMHO, very small price for security, if it works.

Certain taxes have ALWAYS had to be paid on frequent flier tickets. I do'nt use mine to fly from NJ to FL. I can sit in coach for a couple hours, no problem. I use them for First Class tickets when I'm flying cross country or overseas.

That said, when flying outside the US and it's protectorates on a FF ticket, you have always had to pay taxes. Flew to Alberta Canada last year, and had to pay about $20 in taxes. But I figure that's not bad, considering that my ticket would have cost me $2860 had I paid for it!!

Just got back from Las Vegas two days ago, and didn't have to pay any security tax, but it went into effect while I was in Las Vegas (again flew on a FF ticket), so maybe they only collect it at the start of the trip. (That ticket would have cost me about $1800!)

Still, paying $10 for a free ticket is still a deal to me!!

Anne

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
Very true, it can cost you up to a max. of 10.00 round trip for the security fee.
IMHO, very small price for security, if it works.

ditto

We made our airline reservations this week using award tickets with USAirways out of Philadelphia. We have never been charged anything before, like tax's others spoke about. But we were charged $10 a ticket for the new security tax this time. I believe it is well worth the money if used for security at the airports, we have no complaints. I canceled a flight to Kansas in the beginning of December (for a Christmas party/gathering) because I was affraid to take my kids on a plane. My husband flies weekly for work, and we have taken the kids to Hawaii. But I can honestly say after 9/11 and the Rockaway crash, I have been grounded. Hope to make it to WDW and US/IOA in August because I do miss flying and hope a feeling of sanity returns this year.

RobinLyn :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter