• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aaa ?

Smiling Cheshire Cat

DIS Veteran
I've never been a member of AAA before, but with my aging car that I plan to keep for several more years and an upcoming trip to WDW I'm considering it.

I see that there are 3 levels of membership. I can't decide which one is best for me. I'm a stay at home mom that drives mainly around town toting kids back and forth to school and practices.

Any information would be appreciated!

I love AAA and have kept even when my car was new. It has been a peace of mind because they come quickly if you get a flat, lock your key in or it it plains dies on the side of the road (transmission went on my 4 yr old van. We ended up having it towed 25 miles to dealer so we could trade it in. I have also gotten many discounts through them. My husband and 2 driving kids also have cards now. We have the second level.

We've been AAA members (not the premium plan) for several years. I had to call them for roadside assistance last year. We have also used the AAA discounts for hotels, rental cars, retail discounts - all kinds. If you pay attention it pretty much can pay for itself.

We've been members for many years and I do recommend getting it for peace of mind. I am truly happy that I have it now since my DD drives too. We have used it for dead batteries and for locking keys inside. We do not have the premium level; I didn't realize there were three levels. I thought we had basic level?? I may have to check on that. I recommended to my friend and within a month they had already used the service with locking keys in the car. Also, it is a plus for hotels and other travel activities for your family. I can get discounts when I remember to ask. I probably don't utilize my discounts as often as I could. I think it is well worth the price.

AAA is great to have if you are traveling...and even if you are not.

I am on a family plan with my parents and have been for over 25 years. I love it and use it way more than they do.

For example in the last five years I have used AAA to change flats (2x), when I lock keys in the car (at least once a year:lmao:) to open the car and for travel plans.

I book my WDW with AAA so I can get the 10% off on the rooms. There are also some restaurants that accept AAA for a 10% off meals as well as World of Disney you get a discount. See their website for a full list.

I also use AAA when traveling for hotel and car discounts and some other travel discounts i.e. restaurants. I have even used it for Payless shoe discounts.

Try it for one year at least for your upcoming trip. It is like insurance, you have it and hope you don't use it.

I have the middle level that allows for longer tows than the basic level. it's great peace of mind.

Jill in CO

I personally have basic which tows me 3 miles or to nearest service station. I really should have next level up d/t where I live and amount of driving I do.
I'd say you OP would probably be ok with Basic or Gold which gets you 100 miles. You could start with basic and always upgrade later if you feel need/desire.

I bought the basic plan at first. When we decided to drive to Disney I upgraded to the Plus plan to get the 100 miles towing. I have used it to save money on hotels as well. I really like having some peace of mind.

jedijill said:
I have the middle level that allows for longer tows than the basic level. it's great peace of mind.
This is the plan I have, for the same reason.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

If you are a member of a family with multiple siblings, with multiple kids... and buying Christmas gifts is becoming too expensive for everyone....

Consider this....

Everyone buys another member of the family a AAA membership for Christmas each year.... it's a great fixed cost, requires no shopping... and is frankly one of the most thoughtful gifts anyone can buy!

If you have kids in college, make sure they are covered!

I have used AAA four times in the last year - once for a dead battery, once for a flat tire on the interstate, once for a flat tire in our church parking lot, and the other for a car that locked itself (due to a piece of safety equipment installed by my company... not so wise on their part!)

It really is a life saver!

We have the gold plan btw - the longer tow distance is what really made us upgrade!

I have the top level. It has saved us more times than I can say: getting a flat in a rental car when the rental company refused to help, a tow from Disneyland to home, TWICE! Plus, the discounts are always fun.

Our car dealership gives AAA discounts on service, too. Last year, on that alone, we saved the AAA fees for that year.

We go to Palm Springs a lot so we like knowing if we get stuck, we're "mostly" covered. (We figure we can do one or two tows as needed in the worst-case scenario.) What are the odds of getting stuck IN Palm Springs. If that were the case, we'd get towed to a place there.

Oh I LOVE AAA!!!

I love that they provide free maps for EVERYWHERE. We got maps for our trip to Europe last year, I got maps of my state for my son's car...whenever I'm planning a trip to anywhere, I hit AAA or the website! And I find their triptik planner on the website to be the best way to plan a road trip!

When I was in Hawaii last fall, my BFF and I managed between us (mostly her!) to lock the keys in the trunk of my rental car -- on the day I was flying out! I was SO stressed! I called the rental company and the lady said "Do you have AAA?" I felt like a moron. I called AAA and in no time, there they were to unlock it!

Just the other day, my son's car died in his GF's neighborhood... in comes the AAA tow truck!

I'm a Basic member. And I was told it's a 4 mile tow just two days ago.

One other thing to consider is that there are other roadside assistance plans out there. Some auto insurance companies offer such services too. This way you can compare costs and benefits and see which plan works best for your circumstances and at the best price.

:worship: Love AAA as well, I got it after my Dh passed as I was an old time wife that if the car broke down I called Dh to help so AAA has been a life saver many times over. Mary

One other thing to consider is that there are other roadside assistance plans out there. Some auto insurance companies offer such services too. This way you can compare costs and benefits and see which plan works best for your circumstances and at the best price.

This is true, but you will get the most discounts with a AAA card. As a pp stated, if you pay attention, it can easily pay for itself in discounts alone. (BTW, you can get a 10% discount at Earl of Sandwich with a AAA card) Use it once for roadside assistance and you will have saved $$$$ and be thankful you have it. I have had a card for decades. I must have have the middle plan because I just got a letter that they were upgrading me to premium plan for rest of year for free.

When I went off to college maaaany years ago, my dad sent me with a gas card, a AAA card, but no car. He told me that if people gave me rides, that I could put some gas in their car and that if the car broke down or keys got locked in while I was a passenger, that I could use the AAA card for assistance. Lots of broke students with empty tanks would come by asking if I needed a lift anywhere! :rotfl: I had all of the benefits of a car at practically no cost to my family. Did the same thing with my daughter when she went off to college.

We have the mid-level membership. We haven't used it much lately, but we have used it through the years. We've had it for over 15 years. A tow here and there, plus locksmith services. It's great to have, in case you need a tow, run out of gas, or your battery dies. The highest level includes lock out services in case you get locked out of your house. This may come in handy too, we may eventually upgrade if that happens to us. Once my husband used it to help an old lady who locked her dog in her car at the post office, she left the dog expecting to be back in a few minutes and locked herself out. The sent a locksmith in record time to get the dog out/unlock the car. DH alway used to see the lady at the post office.

BTW, you can get a 10% discount at Earl of Sandwich with a AAA card.

Everytime we show the AAA card at EoS, we get a 15% discount. We're currently in NYC (although we use it at DTD the most) and I found an online coupon for a $5 'meal deal'.
Sandwich, chips and drink for $5! Needless to say, we planned one night's pre-show dinner there and spent less than $11 for the both of us. Of course the deal isn't good in either Orlando or Anaheim:confused3.
They actually have the Holiday Sandwich on the menu right now! Yummers...

And I tried the tuna melt the other day and it was sooo good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter