"Abandon" a wheelchair

LisaBi

DIS Veteran
Something has been bugging me. There are a lot of rides where you miss a lot of good pre-show, and/or alway have to take a certain track if you use the wheelchair entrance. I'd love to see the other track in SM (of course, that walk is too long, so I'm out of luck). I'd also like to see the other scenario on GMR. I can't think right off which rides we've missed pre-show on, but I know there are some - hard to know when you've never seen it!

For our next trip in September, I'd to like to "ditch" the wheelchair on some attractions and use the regular queue, assuming it's not too long (more in terms of walking distance, that in terms of number of people). Has anyone ever done that? I know there is stroller parking galore, but is is safe/acceptable to leave a wheelchair in the same area? It would be a WDW chair (hopefully from the resort).

Thanks,
LisaB

We do it for DS all the time. He can walk short distances and even a little further if it is walk, then stand, walk then stand, like most queues are. We usually just leave it right where the strollers are and we've never had a problem.

I'd think that if you personalized the wheelchair, then someone would be less likely to 'borrow' it. You could tie a bandana on the handles, leave an empty bag on the seat, etc. You could even lock a bike lock onto the wheels - just make sure that the CMs can move the chair, don't lock it to anything.

I mentioned the Great Movie Ride thing to the CMs there. They had me wait just a little bit longer and then loaded me onto the car for the other scenario. I'm not sure if that can be done normally but it can be done.

Years ago I also just did the transfer over to the seat on the other side for the GMR. It was tougher but worth doing. So either option might work for you.

When in doubt talk to the CM. You'd be amazed sometimes what can be done. Escpecially if you go during a slow time.

BTW you can also see the stretching room in the Haunted Mansion if you ask politely. :)

BillSears said:
I mentioned the Great Movie Ride thing to the CMs there. They had me wait just a little bit longer and then loaded me onto the car for the other scenario. I'm not sure if that can be done normally but it can be done.

Years ago I also just did the transfer over to the seat on the other side for the GMR. It was tougher but worth doing. So either option might work for you.

When in doubt talk to the CM. You'd be amazed sometimes what can be done. Escpecially if you go during a slow time.

BTW you can also see the stretching room in the Haunted Mansion if you ask politely. :)
::yes::
If you choose to get out of the wheelchair, ask the CM at the entrance how long the wait will be and what the distance is.
For the Great Movie Ride (GMR), if they are running 2 trams, the back row of the 1st tram is the row they normally use for guests who stay in the wheelchairs. Those who can get out and transfer to a seat are usually loaded into the front seat of the first tram. If there are 2 trams running, the first tram gets the (spoiler here if you hold down your mouse button and run your mouse over the blank looking white area to see the text) western bank robber.. The second tram gets the (spoiler here in the blank looking white area to see the text) 1920s bank robber..
When they are only running one tram, they seem to alternate which scene you get. One time, when they were running 2 trams, they did load DD's wheelchair into the second tram. They usually try to keep the guests with special needs in the first tram because you avoid going thru most of the people leaving that way when the ride unloads.
But, if you really want to see the other scene, mention to the CM before you enter the loading room. They will accomidate you if they can.

For seeing the stretching room at Haunted Mansion, ask the CM at the entrance. If it's not possible then because it's too busy, ask when to come back for a less busy time. You can either go into the stretching room from the back and then board with everyone else at the regualr boarding area or come back out of the stretching room and board at the exit.

I'd think that if you personalized the wheelchair, then someone would be less likely to 'borrow' it. You could tie a bandana on the handles, leave an empty bag on the seat, etc. You could even lock a bike lock onto the wheels - just make sure that the CMs can move the chair, don't lock it to anything.

Forgot to mention this. When we took DS's own chair, just to make sure nobody "borrowed" :rolleyes: it we took a clean diaper and put it in a plastic bag. Then we poured a little rootbeer over it(I think I got this tip here on the Dis but I'm not certain)and tied it to the handle of the wheelchair. It looks kind of like a gross mess when you do this and it makes people not want to move, borrow or do whatever to your chair :rotfl: . I know it's nasty but those chairs are so darn expensive. :blush:

Densgirl said:
Forgot to mention this. When we took DS's own chair, just to make sure nobody "borrowed" :rolleyes: it we took a clean diaper and put it in a plastic bag. Then we poured a little rootbeer over it(I think I got this tip here on the Dis but I'm not certain)and tied it to the handle of the wheelchair. It looks kind of like a gross mess when you do this and it makes people not want to move, borrow or do whatever to your chair :rotfl: . I know it's nasty but those chairs are so darn expensive. :blush:
It pops up as a hint every once in a while. Most people first hear about it someplace like these boards, but it's very old (like I first heard it more than 15 years ago).

At the Great Movie Ride ask the CM if you are getting an "A" or a "B" ride. Those letters go along with what Sue wrote. If you get one letter the first time, then ask for the other letter the next time.

Schmeck said:

:rotfl: I read this and thought you said to tie a banana to it... :rolleyes: Must be the new bi-focals, but that was the biggest laugh of the day...so far!

Nice suggestions! Mom was on an ECV last time due to broken foot, but we ditched it several times to enjoy the ambiance of some of the rides. Frankly, as long as the lines are moving along, I would rather walk them than sit in a waiting area until she could be loaded, etc. They are MUCH more interesting!

meandtheguys2 said:
:rotfl: I read this and thought you said to tie a banana to it... :rolleyes: Must be the new bi-focals, but that was the biggest laugh of the day...so far!
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
:rotfl2:

LisaBi said:
I know there is stroller parking galore, but is is safe/acceptable to leave a wheelchair in the same area?

I can't speak for other attractions, but at Kilimanjaro Safaris, we REALLY prefer that you keep your chair with you, because our stroller parking area isn't really big enough, but we do have room to park wheelchairs at our wheelchair dock. (The queue is fully mainstreamed, so you won't miss anything by staying in your chair)

Forgot to mention this. When we took DS's own chair, just to make sure nobody "borrowed" it we took a clean diaper and put it in a plastic bag. Then we poured a little rootbeer over it

I first read this in one of the guide books a number of years ago.

My last trip to WDW was my first using a chair. I first parked it near the entrance (don't remember which ride this was) and couldn't find it after riding. The "stroller arranging" CM's had gotten their hands on it! I was firmly told to always leave it in the stroller parking!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter