ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

Great update! Loved reading about your Behind the Seeds Tour. DH and I really enjoyed it when we went on the tour in 2010.

You were right defiantly impressed by the disappearing plant.Great update, tour looks like a relaxing way to spend two hours in EPCOT and you get free snacks as well.Would love to have a Mimosa plant in my garden it would be forever closing up everytime I passed it.But as it lives in a warm climate (California) it would not live here due to the cold temp.

Great review of Behind the Seeds! I'm hopeful we'll squeeze it in this August...

In fact, when I told them we would be doing this, my then, 14-year old asked me, “Is it going to be fun?” I retorted with a question of my own: “Have you ever done anything at Disney that wasn’t?”

Can't argue with that!!

She grabbed the base of the bush and gave it a good shake- you know… the kind you want to give to the guy who cuts you off in a parking lot. Or takes a flash photo on Pirates.

So true it hurts.

But what a cool effect!

(Then teach them to understand the inane policies of government and take all the earnings to pay for said permit. Watch them wail and gnash their teeth like most of us do on payday.)

Amen.

Lastly, we got some photos by the giant Mickey Laurel (bay leaf) which I think turned out pretty darned good, if I do say so myself. We didn’t take a ton of portrait style pix of our motley crew, so was happy to have gotten these.

IMG_1348.jpg

Wonderful family photo!

In 2010, during the solo part of my trip, I splurged on a tour that I’d been wanting to do for a while- The Behind the Seeds Tour. I realize this may sound dry and too “educational” for some
Nope... right up my alley!

We dawdled to the exit retracing our steps back through the tour route and couldn’t refrain from touching the Mimosa one last time. It took EVERYTHING in me to resist throttling the thing to watch it shrivel in terror of me. I can’t do that to the people who take 8 years to order at Starbucks, sadly.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Thanks for the pictures and descriptions of the tour. This has certainly been one that I'd like to do sometime, but it's just hard finding time to do it. Especially with kids that are really too young to wrangle through the greenhouses.

My son-in-law was the driver of the car on its side and was pulled from it just before it ignited and burned.

Both of his legs were broken, he has a cracked vertebra, and will have surgery tomorrow.

Please, PLEASE drive safely on this holiday weekend! The other driver ran his stop sign and T-boned him. :(

I'm so sorry. I am glad he is ok though, that is a serious wreck and it's amazing that they got him out when they did. Thank goodness.

but they don’t HAVE to give out baggies of cucumbers. I think most people would still pay for the tour, munchables or not.

This made me laugh, because that baggie of cucumbers right there might be the only fresh veggies many of us eat on vacay lol. I am hoping to do this tour when we go!

Have you ever done something that was so fun, you just had to share it with others? You’re in the middle of it and say to yourself, “I sure wish so and so was here, I really think they’d love doing/seeing/experiencing this!”

All the time, especially at Disney

Ok, ok, they weren’t technically free since we paid for the tour, but they don’t HAVE to give out baggies of cucumbers. I think most people would still pay for the tour, munchables or not.

I really like this perk. Even better if they gave you some ranch dressing.

She grabbed the base of the bush and gave it a good shake- you know… the kind you want to give to the guy who cuts you off in a parking lot. Or takes a flash photo on Pirates. The WHOLE bush went from full and bushy and round, to Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree-esque. The volume change was dramatic and elicited the appropriate oohs and aaaahs.

This is very cool. We have Mimosa trees here but I don't know if they do this too.

I’ve seen many a write up on this tour and one thing remains in common- the aquaponics and fish feeding demonstration never disappoints. Give a kid (or eager adult) a handful of fish food and suddenly it’s a party. The fish explode to the surface in a frenzy. It reminded me of a typical dinner at my house when I bring home a pizza. Some things don’t change from species to species given the right food offerings.

My husband would love this along with the kids.

Lastly, we got some photos by the giant Mickey Laurel (bay leaf) which I think turned out pretty darned good, if I do say so myself. We didn’t take a ton of portrait style pix of our motley crew, so was happy to have gotten these.

Great photos!

I'll leave you with a couple of artsy fartsy shots just for kicks and giggles.

Very cool.

I really enjoyed your tour. I think I would like to do this. We never miss a trip on the "Living with the Land".

General PSA's

Dear DISBesties,

Just thought I'd throw some general housekeeping items your way:

First off, a little update about Nathan. The criteria for him to be discharged are pretty simple. He has to be able to get to the bathroom and back alone or with very minimal help. Yesterday a couple of things happened. 1. The C-collar finally came off which, while he didn't need, had to stay on until the radiologist said it could come off (some protocols are just... odd.). 2. PT finally came in a started work with him. They got as far as... sitting him up. But one of my life mottos has been, "ANY progress is GREAT progress!" He nearly passed out and did puke, so yeah, a very long road ahead of him. They are holding up very well and have a huge network of friends and family that has been constantly there for them. He's young and strong so should make a full recovery, but the doctors are saying it will take months. He'll be using a walker for at least 1-2.

Secondly, thank you all for your very kind words and prayers and good thoughts for them. I've passed them along to Bek and she appreciates them all, as do I!

Also, I've seen all of your PMs regarding both the accident AND your guesses. I will have to come back to those as today is massively busy for me with work, signing the house sale closing dox (YES!!!!!), taking meals to put in their freezer and then Ground School. Lots on my plate. (Literally and figuratively- getting out of vacation mode eating is SO HARD!)
@DISNEYMOON10121991 yours was especially sweet; thank you! Also, @franandaj I have most of your last update (?) about the Club Day multi-quoted and will reply this weekend. Sorry, it's taking me so long. :)

Lastly, it's SUMMER! Rejoice! Go pick some berries and eat them by the bowlful, stop and smell all those delicious roses, and face toward the sunshine and drink it in! May your hearts be merry and your loads lights.

Love you all,

Steppe

Just saw the news about the accident. So glad it wasn't worse, but yes, it sounds like a long road to recovery ahead. Praying for them during this time.

There's a water-based plant like that mimosa too, that they have at Longwood Gardens near us, in their waterlily pond. Very cool to watch it retract at the slightest touch.

Oh, I'll be looking forward to seeing my 1 point for "Q". ;)

Today was a pretty normal day getting unpacked and my laundry done until this happened:

a4ad0bc5-54fb-43eb-a5a1-34603d021ecc-large16x9_carsonfire.jpg

My son-in-law was the driver of the car on its side and was pulled from it just before it ignited and burned.

Both of his legs were broken, he has a cracked vertebra, and will have surgery tomorrow.

My goodness, Liesa. I first read your post about the accident on FB, and knew it was serious. But seeing the photo...wow, he's lucky to be alive!

Praying for his full and complete recovery. I hope your family is spoiling him rotten right now.

Have you ever done something that was so fun, you just had to share it with others? You’re in the middle of it and say to yourself, “I sure wish so and so was here, I really think they’d love doing/seeing/experiencing this!”

::yes:: Sometimes I think of my DIS friends!

In 2010, during the solo part of my trip, I splurged on a tour that I’d been wanting to do for a while- The Behind the Seeds Tour. I realize this may sound dry and too “educational” for some, and I also know that botany isn’t everyone’s thang, but with their usual panache, Disney takes an otherwise possibly mundane subject and makes it fun for everyone, including the oftentimes cynical teenage census.

I'm not the least bit interested in botany or gardening or (are you sitting down?) vegetables, but because it's a Disney tour, I'd totally do it!

Every “tour guide” for this 2-hour tour (so much better than the 3 hour variety!)

Well, that technically became an indefinite tour.

In fact, when I told them we would be doing this, my then, 14-year old asked me, “Is it going to be fun?” I retorted with a question of my own: “Have you ever done anything at Disney that wasn’t?”

Well said. But then you have to explain It's a Small World.

Nice one!

But on this tour, you get 2 hours of pretty cool explanations and even some snacks. And guess what? They’e free. (I heard your gasp of disbelief; I almost fainted from stupification as well.)

Ok, ok, they weren’t technically free since we paid for the tour, but they don’t HAVE to give out baggies of cucumbers.

Hooray, it's FREE...

...vegetables.

When we all had a turn making a leaf or 3 or 4 fold up, she approached the plant and did something so completely mind blowing, even the most too-cool-for-school couldn’t help but gasp in amazement.

5, 4, 3, 2....1!

Wow, that's amazing!

I do know this is called a "Bitter Melon". We all guessed cucumber, wrongly.

I would have guessed it was diseased or something.

When life gives you lemons like this: pay the ridiculous city permit fee and have your kids open a lemonade stand. (Then teach them to understand the inane policies of government and take all the earnings to pay for said permit. Watch them wail and gnash their teeth like most of us do on payday.)

But then give thanks for the public roadways, and complain about the waste elsewhere.:rolleyes1

Give a kid (or eager adult) a handful of fish food and suddenly it’s a party. The fish explode to the surface in a frenzy. It reminded me of a typical dinner at my house when I bring home a pizza.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Very nice shot of the fam there.

It took EVERYTHING in me to resist throttling the thing to watch it shrivel in terror of me. I can’t do that to the people who take 8 years to order at Starbucks, sadly.

I can't really relate, because I avoid FiveBucks like the plague. But there are those people at McDonalds who still stare at the menu for hours, as though they haven't been serving the same crap for decades now.

:thumbsup2

Thanks for the update on Nathan. I feel so bad for him. Saying more prayers for patience and recovery. Prayers for Bekka too.

I hope your plate slows down soon. Good new on the sale! One less worry.

I'm gearing up for more company this weekend. Hoping to get more time time to DIS after the weekend.

First off, a little update about Nathan.

Thanks for the update -when you see the crash scene it really is a miracle he made it out alive! It must be really hard for you all to see him struggling and in pain. Praying for you all.

There were about 10 folks joining this tour

This was a good size for a tour - not too big a group. You got some great family photos.

Here is a scientific description for your bathroom reading pleasure. You’re welcome.

Thank you - you took me back to my Higher Biology days and surprisingly it still made sense.

The WHOLE bush went from full and bushy and round, to Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree-esque. The volume change was dramatic and elicited the appropriate oohs and aaaahs.

That would have been great to see.

You're impressed too. I know you are.
That's right I'm impressed! Thanks for taking us Behind the Seeds.

Lastly, it's SUMMER! Rejoice! Go pick some berries and eat them by the bowlful, stop and smell all those delicious roses, and face toward the sunshine and drink it in! May your hearts be merry and your loads lights.

Love you all,

Thank you! I will definitely face towards the sunshine and drink it in (once I'm donned my sunglasses and put on my factor 50+ sun cream). Hope your own load lightens soon. :cool1: :flower1::love:

All the time, that's part of why I write Trip Reports!

Ok, ok, they weren’t technically free since we paid for the tour, but they don’t HAVE to give out baggies of cucumbers. I think most people would still pay for the tour, munchables or not.

On my tour they handed us one little slice of cucumber, we didn't get baggies or anything. :sad2:

Our guide told us to gently touch the leaves of this bush and to watch what happened.

We skipped that part..... :sad2:

She grabbed the base of the bush and gave it a good shake

And went right to that part.

Here is a scientific description for your bathroom reading pleasure.

Sorry, but I didn't really understand a word of that. :upsidedow

pay the ridiculous city permit fee and have your kids open a lemonade stand.

Really is this what it has come to? Are there no simple pleasures left in children's lives?

Lastly, we got some photos by the giant Mickey Laurel (bay leaf) which I think turned out pretty darned good

Nice shot of the family. Funny to see that all of your kids are taller than you! :laughing:

They got as far as... sitting him up. But one of my life mottos has been, "ANY progress is GREAT progress!" He nearly passed out and did puke, so yeah, a very long road ahead of him.

Ugh, definitely a long way to go. :worship:

Also, @franandaj I have most of your last update (?) about the Club Day multi-quoted and will reply this weekend. Sorry, it's taking me so long. :)

No worries, I'm just plugging away at it hoping that I don't forget everything since I don't take many notes on my trips out to DL, just longer trips.

Go pick some berries and eat them by the bowlful

Well we don't have berries here, but my tomatoes are just starting to ripen. Hopefully I get to eat them before some neighborhood critter comes along!

Thanks for the update on your Nathan. I have a Nathan, too, (fiance!) so he feels even dearer to my heart. I'm praying for his recovery, and wisdom for his medical team. It's amazing that he made it out of that crash. I'm sure you're used to seeing people healing from these types of injuries due to your line of work, but it must be harder when it's someone you care for. Just like you said, any progress is good! When I had my neurosurgery I wasn't sitting up until late day 2, and not walking anywhere on my own until about day 4. And everyone and every injury is different, I have no doubt. You're a busy bee these days, but we're all rooting for you guys!

Hello Liesa! I'm late to the party, but just caught up on this TR and your other one, after reading your first one, so thought I'd stop and say hi. Love your humor and happy glass-half-full attitude. So sorry to hear about Nathan, sounds like he has a challenging road ahead...sending healing thoughts.

In 2010, during the solo part of my trip, I splurged on a tour that I’d been wanting to do for a while- The Behind the Seeds Tour. I realize this may sound dry and too “educational” for some, and I also know that botany isn’t everyone’s thang, but with their usual panache, Disney takes an otherwise possibly mundane subject and makes it fun for everyone, including the oftentimes cynical teenage census.
I love Livin' with the Land. I don't know what it is. I not really a gardener. My wife and I have a couple small flower beds and our knowledge and expertise is limited to going to the greenhouse and picking out plants that we think look nice without giving any real thought to sun/shade or how big the thing will get (yeah, made a few mistakes that way). Anyhow, on my first trip to WDW as a 9 year old, I remember being fascinated by the ride and that has stayed with me. So doing the tour has been on my bucket list, but I just have not been able to do it so far with kids who would roll their eyes at the thought and my dear wife who - bless her - is not at all into anything educational on vacation. (Side note: I took her on Carousel of Progress in 2008. She didn't like it because it was "too educational". Divorce crossed my mind that day...)

You're impressed too. I know you are.
I am, really and truly. I had no idea there was a plant like that. It makes me want to do this tour even more now. Seriously need to think about a solo trip. Considering DW and youngest DD are in WDW right now for the dance school trip, I think I may be owed a trip.

Thanks for letting us all know about Nathan. It's good to hear some progress is being made. Incredible how life can change suddenly.

Glad to hear this! Due to Fran's past injuries, I even know what those bones are.

When he leaves, does he get to go home or are they going to send him to a SNF?

How nice of him to do that, but what I'm more amazed is that they got there so quickly as to be able to pull him out before the car completely went up in flames. I just figured it was bystanders like in the plane wreck that happened a few days ago on the 405 in Santa Ana.

He was able to avoid a SNF and is at home recuperating now. :) More in a separate post....

OH WOW! I don't think I remember hearing about that one. EEK!

It was bystanders/ other motorists who pulled him out. Apparently an older man and a woman. They absolutely certainly saved his life!

He was able to avoid a SNF and is at home recuperating now. :) More in a separate post....

Well that's good! We have had our share of SNFs (not us, but my in laws, we know almost all the local ones, unfortunately)

OH WOW! I don't think I remember hearing about that one. EEK!

I think that was before we were following each other's reports. She was between arthritis meds so she was amped up on pain killers, fell asleep on the potty and when she got up her leg gave out and she fell. I was sound asleep and it took 45 minutes of hollering to wake me up to help her to bed. In the end she broke her femur and ankle and had to be off it for six weeks. I think her mom broker her tibia back in 2004.

It was bystanders/ other motorists who pulled him out. Apparently an older man and a woman. They absolutely certainly saved his life!

So glad they did! :goodvibes

Great update! Loved reading about your Behind the Seeds Tour. DH and I really enjoyed it when we went on the tour in 2010.

THanks! I loved that tour BOTH times I did it. So interesting!

That tour is definitely tops on my wish list! So cool, for us gardening types!

Yes! Do it! I know you'd really enjoy it!

You were right defiantly impressed by the disappearing plant.Great update, tour looks like a relaxing way to spend two hours in EPCOT and you get free snacks as well.Would love to have a Mimosa plant in my garden it would be forever closing up everytime I passed it.But as it lives in a warm climate (California) it would not live here due to the cold temp.

No, I"m afraid Scotland would be the very wrong climate for it. I think it originates from Thailand so, pretty much exact opposite of your climate. LOL!

Great review of Behind the Seeds! I'm hopeful we'll squeeze it in this August...

I hope you get to also! It really is a very interesting and out of the box way to spend an afternoon.

Nope... right up my alley!

I thought it might be. ;) Even if the agronomy methods are a bit different from that which you do normally.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Thanks for the pictures and descriptions of the tour. This has certainly been one that I'd like to do sometime, but it's just hard finding time to do it. Especially with kids that are really too young to wrangle through the greenhouses.

Yeah, ok, I'll give you that. Maybe wait until they are mid-Elementary school aged or so.

I'm so sorry. I am glad he is ok though, that is a serious wreck and it's amazing that they got him out when they did. Thank goodness.

It was pretty darn scary for all of us! He's home now and able to transfer from his bed to the wheelchair, so progress in the right direction.

This made me laugh, because that baggie of cucumbers right there might be the only fresh veggies many of us eat on vacay lol. I am hoping to do this tour when we go!

TOO TRUE! LOLOLOL!

I do try to eat a salad now and then, so... you know.... the uncomfy doesn't happen. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter