ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

Wickedly busy with work lately but trying to keep up when I can

which seem to have contracted mild cases of Teenage Mouth. I’m sure there’s a cure, but I have yet to find it.
Well if you ever do find a cure, let me know. I have one case of it here already and another not long off!

They technically operate as completely separate entities with completely different breeding programs, management strategies,
Interesting, I had no idea they worked like that.

Maybe? I'd have to ask the Canadians. CALLING ALL CANADIAN READERS!
Well look at you causing such a kerfuffule. Yes I have head it before although I don't know that I've actually used the word often.

Okay, Ladies and Gentlemen,

Tonight's the last class for Ground School. This by no means the end of this path in learning to fly. Nope! Really only the beginning! This is definitely one hobby that involves a lifetime of learning. I have a little mini exam tonight which will help me assess where I'm at in what I've learned/retained and will help to guide me in studying this Fall and Winter. My goal is to take the FAA written exam by February. Honestly, I had no idea how all-consuming coordinating this trip to Sierra Leone would be. But, today saw huge breakthroughs. Encouraged on that front!

My next update for my other thread is written, but I won't be able to proof it or insert photos until Saturday.

Meantime, carry on! Make a difference and live big!

Steppe

Glad to hear that there's been gains no the Sierra Leone front. :)
Yes... flying involves learning. Always.
Just... please don't be that person and forget to close your flight plan. Please!

Tonight's the last class for Ground School.

Good luck on the exam!

Honestly, I had no idea how all-consuming coordinating this trip to Sierra Leone would be. But, today saw huge breakthroughs. Encouraged on that front!

Glad to hear it! I love it when a plan comes together.

Meantime, carry on! Make a difference and live big!

I keep eating these burgers and as a result, I'm living bigger all the time!

Old fashioned cake doughnuts!

Mmmmmmm, TGIF!!!!!
This is an Old Fashioned:
bourbon-old-fashioned.jpg

We were running a bit behind the time I thought we should leave in order to give that cushion for unforeseen circumstances, like the bus getting a flat tire, alligators on the roads blocking our way, or the usual, no bus at all for 23 minutes.

This always happens to me too. I plan enough time but something always goes wrong.

Dang skippy! I had time to potty. If you suffer from TTBS (Teeny Tiny Bladder Syndrome), you’ll know exactly how relieved I was.

My first thought whenever I have an extra few minutes too.

When they told us we were free to do whatever we wanted back there, I knew it was going to be worth every penny of the ticket price.

Wow, blank check to do whatever.

They technically operate as completely separate entities with completely different breeding programs, management strategies, etc… If AK needs a temporary home for one of its animals, for example, they must actually apply for relocation privileges at AKL- either at Jambo or Kidani.

I did not know this. I love how much we can learn in trip reports.
THE ANIMALS OF AKL ZOO:

Love your photos. It really does look like you could reach out and touch a few. Have to ask could you smell them too?

(Not an intentional Hidden Mickey, but a cool one nonetheless!)

I saw this. Very cool. Even the animals love Mickey.

I already suspect I didn't win. Ah well.

Just a few more posts...

Yay! I've always wanted to go there.

Then I shall take you vicariously there!

I've got nothing but free time! Tons of it!!! Tons!!!!

Uh huh. Sure. And Winnipeg is warm in the winter.

Nice! Love the trees in silhouette.

Thanks!

"I don't remember"... "No like... the Hoop de Doo men's"...

so when exactly did you go in there?

It was a mistake. That turned into a hilarious debacle.

Weren't the rest jealous?

Nope. I asked them. They declined saying it "sounded boring".

Macro lens?

I wish I had one. I really do. When I bought my last lens, I had to choose between the wide angle and macro and went wide specifically for Disney and even more specifically Main Street. Next, I'll splurge on the macro.

Woot! I'll pm you several more times, then.

Wait.... is there an annoyance deduction?

No, never an annoyance deduction.

And you want me to eat there?!?!?

It's a weight loss Fast Pass.

How does he know????

Well, you certainly have a good point! He still has tiny tots.

So cool! Any pictures?

Maybe. I'll have to go back and take a look.

Geez! You don't have to shout. Heard you way up here! Now what's all this kerfuffle about?

Well, Canada is a loooooooooooooong way away from here. Or... at least where you are. Er... are normally. Right at this moment, you are pretty darn close.

Hard to say. It has been a stressful growing season. We planted, we replanted about 2/3 of our acres, we suffered from too much rain early and not enough here the last few weeks while it is filling out. On top of that, southern rust has made it's way up to central Indiana this year in the corn. I think it is late enough that it shouldn't hurt us too much, but once it sets in, it can kill the plant in less than 2 weeks. Some guys in southern Indiana had it last year and claimed it took about 40 bushels per acre off the yield where they had it. I think we might be close to average yields, but just a tad below.

I remember the re-planting hassles of spring. Such a waste of growing time and annoyance. Is there not a GMO developed that is rust resistant? Glad to hear through the trials of a crappy rain situation and the disease it's not too far off.

Well back in late June/early July we actually got two. The day before we left for Denver we realized one was pregnant. :faint:

And now you have have 7!! :yay: So cute!

I just pointed out that guys that pretty usually have "other" interests.

This is a truism.

Here's my moon shot! :rotfl2:

man-in-the-moon-jpg.264191

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Wickedly busy with work lately but trying to keep up when I can

Completely understand, Jeff. I really do. Pretty busy myself (as evidenced by a complete lack of keeping caught up around here). Just trying to keep my head above water.

Well if you ever do find a cure, let me know. I have one case of it here already and another not long off!

I think I should go into the vaccination business on this one. I'd be so rich!!!!

Interesting, I had no idea they worked like that.

I think that fact is a hidden one to most, including myself until now.

Well look at you causing such a kerfuffule. Yes I have head it before although I don't know that I've actually used the word often.

LOL!!! I have actually heard it, but have never once used it myself. I prefer to make a fracas myself. ;)

Glad to hear that there's been gains no the Sierra Leone front. :)
Yes... flying involves learning. Always.
Just... please don't be that person and forget to close your flight plan. Please!

Two steps forward, one step back. Sigh....

I don't know if I'll ever get my instrument rating. Heck at this point, I don't even know if can pass that stupid written exam.

Good luck on the exam!

Yeah, about that.

:sad2:

Having not studied one MINUTE for about 2 months, I managed a dismal 45/60. Total fail. BUT, the good news is that now I know where my weak spots and knowledge holes are. By Spring, I should be ready to take if for real and pass.

Glad to hear it! I love it when a plan comes together.

AS I told PK, 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

I keep eating these burgers and as a result, I'm living bigger all the time!

:rotfl2:Hey El Gordo!

jk/jk. For all those burgers, you still look pretty good.

This always happens to me too. I plan enough time but something always goes wrong.

It's the Way of Disney!

My first thought whenever I have an extra few minutes too.

The struggle is real!

Wow, blank check to do whatever.

Party on the the Savanah!

I did not know this. I love how much we can learn in trip reports.

I know! I love learning new things about my favorite place!

Love your photos. It really does look like you could reach out and touch a few. Have to ask could you smell them too?

Actually, no. It was really very clean out there and not a bad smell anywhere.

I saw this. Very cool. Even the animals love Mickey.

:earsboy:

W is for: The WAY Too Much Food Part of the Wanyama

Having had our fill of animals for the day, it was time to get our fill of delicious food. Our guides for the Wanyama Tour were excellent- very professional, engaging, and patient. I hoped our chefs would give the same care and attention to our meal. I need not have worried.

Climbing the steps down off our safari-mobile, we hungrily approached Jiko: The Eating Place again. I love that name. As if it’s some other kind of place? I don’t know about you, but I generally go there to eat. Maybe the pool there should be called Uzima Springs Pool: The Swimming Place. Or perhaps Splitsville should be called Splitsville: The Bowling Place. Am I also being redundant here?

Our party of 4, Anara, myself, and 2 strangers, was quickly shown to our table set with wine glasses, chargers, linens, and all manner of other finery. It was earthy and exquisite all at the same time. I must admit, I splurged on quite a few signature meals this trip (it was a Nursing School Graduation Trip, afterall!), and the quality of this one, as you will see, met or exceeded all expectations of Disney’s fine dining. Call me pretentious, if you must, and yes, I know at least one of you will (you know who you are), but I do love me a good meal, in a leisurely atmosphere, pretending I have money to spend.

IMG_2845%202.jpg

^sometime later during the meal, as the red was already poured.

See? She can pretend to have manners once in a while. Note the napkin her lap. #shedidntlickherplate #forksarebetterthanfingers

IMG_2844%202.jpg

Side note: If you are uncomfortable with dining with people you don’t know, but could possibly be really awesome dinner companions, this tour isn’t for you. This end-of-the-tour meal is served “Family style”.

Some of you may also think me a raging lush. I assure you unequivocally, I am not. Nevertheless, I had a very entertaining alphabetic tour through Disney’s liquor cabinets. By the time this evening came along, I was already on Letter Q- a tough one on any list, booze or otherwise. Did that stop Steppe’s ambitious quest? Question NOT, Dear Readers, for she is as tenacious as pkondz at a Jack Skellington Meet. You don’t really think Letter Q will leave her high and dry do you?

OF COURSE NOT!

Our evening began, as all nice meals should, with a cocktail. When our server came around with our cocktail of the evening, I asked her if it had a name. She got a puzzled look on her face and said, “Well no, Steppe, it doesn’t. Why do you ask?”

“Well, Server McLadyPants, you see, I am on a quest to work my way through every letter of the alphabet in Disney Drinks, and I happened to be on Letter Q!”

Without missing a beat, and with a 100% completely straight face, she announces, “Oh, you’re in luck then! This called a Quit Yer Whinin’! I serve them to all the parents who come in here after a day at the Magic Kingdom with 2-year olds.”

On point, Ms. McServer! Well done!

IMG_2894%203.jpg

If you recall, ‘R’ came later that night with Mikki at the pool. You might also note, that there are very, very few letters left and I’m WELL within reach by this point of being one of the fools few people (perhaps first and only) to attempt this.

Next, Ms. McServer brought out a quite extensive and generous bread service. You know… that course that you pig out on so that everything else to follow is a struggle to ingest? Yeah, that one. I mean with bread AND dipping sauces that look like this, it’s completely understandable. In one course alone, I went from reasonable-eater-who-lives-the-mantra-“everything-in-moderation” (spare your commentary on this particular trip’s imbibing of cocktails) to being glutton-for-a-meal. I was only sorry that I could consume less mac and cheese 20 minutes later.

IMG_2895%202.jpg

IMG_2896%202.jpg

IMG_2847%202.jpg

The white wine, sorry no name, accompanied the breads and appetizers. It was delicious and ample.

IMG_2851%202.jpg

Appetizers followed the bread course. More heavy food that I ate most of. By now, a haze grew over my eyes and my food baby grew to something akin to a 6-month gestation spectacle. I was glad commando wasn’t happening this day because somehow my top button ended up undone. Thank God for long shirts. I was mentally prepared and the heart was willing, but the gut was screaming, “How much more, Woman, do you think I can contain and not make you feel utterly wretched for hours?”

IMG_2897%202.jpg

I should have shoved another Quit Yer Whinin’ down there to shut Gut up, but Cheapskate won and I instead punished gut some more with the main course(s) and the 45 side dishes they placed on the table next. Oh, and some red wine to wash it all down.

IMG_2898%202.jpg

IMG_2846%202.jpg

The main course was a fish (sustainable, of course) beef, and chicken. Don’t ask me at ALL how it was prepared, but it was all very delectable.

IMG_2899%202.jpg

The veggies were fresh and nicely cooked tender crisp. But the mac cheese stole the show. <Shovel it in Steppe! You still have lots of zipper left to go.>

IMG_2850%202.jpg

IMG_2849%202.jpg

I know better. I really do. But it was so delicious! I knew I’d pay for that irresponsible extravaganza. To ease your curiosity now, I only ended up suffering with only a mild case of guilt and a hefty case of indigestion all night long.

You thought I’d stop there, didn’t you? No way, Baby, I had come this far; why stop now?! Dessert was served and I was ashamed <so not sorry at all>. I ate most. And I’m not even a dessert-y kind of gal. I almost NEVER order it because A) it costs money B) I’d rather get an appie, and C) I’m usually too full from everything else to have room. You know… like at this meal. I threw caution to the wind, took a deep breath, and hoped I’d not make a scene with any of Gut’s Last Word of Revenge.

IMG_2852.jpg

Satisfied things were gonna stay packed where I put them, and after receiving our little gift packs of chocolates and our tour pin:

FullSizeRender%20-%20Copy%202.jpg

I gathered up my camera, my daughter (equally uncomfortable), and my bags in that order (See? once upon a time I DID actually keep my camera with me) and waddled myself and my 15 extra pounds out to greet the rest of the family to surprise them that AKL was our home for the next 3 nights and to find out myself that Concierge was how we’d roll.

Maybe the pool there should be called Uzima Springs Pool: The Swimming Place. Or perhaps Splitsville should be called Splitsville: The Bowling Place. Am I also being redundant here?
Redundant, no. Bordering on "dad joke " territory, yes. But I had a chuckle for what it's worth.

Side note: If you are uncomfortable with dining with people you don’t know, but could possibly be really ÿawesome dinner companions, this tour isn’t for you.
It's one that I might skip. I'm not the best at small talk.

I was only sorry that I could consume less mac and cheese 20 minutes later.
Always leave room for mac and cheese!

Redundant, no. Bordering on "dad joke " territory, yes. But I had a chuckle for what it's worth.

Excellent. My work here is done.

It's one that I might skip. I'm not the best at small talk.

Hmm, you seem pretty good at it here. :) We honestly didn't spend a great deal of time talking with the 2 ladies after the usual pleasantries of "Where ya from?", "What do you do for work?", and "What's your favorite park?"

Always leave room for mac and cheese!

I"m pretty sure when God rained down manna it was little mac and cheese patties.

Yes, we do seem to have more than our fair share of kerfuffles in Canada. And it seems you were in a bit of a kerfuffle trying to deal with all of that food. I mean, this from the girl (lol) whose shirt buttons are randomly opening on their own while at work. My torso is trying to turn into the Pillsbury Dough Girl, and I fear that it is winning. But eating vicariously, maybe that should be my new plan B!

Who knew. Used in a Canadian context: They run out of maple bars and the angry crowds made quite a kerfuffle.

It was far too much. The vast majority was either sent back or on my shirt front- the usual resting place for most of my meals. :rolleyes:

Hmm, I'm not sure what's worse and pants button undone for breathing purposes or a shirt button undone as you waltz into work. I have a couple more meals to cover before I'm done with X, Y, and Z. ;)

Loved your description of the tour and meal! And no, it wasn't me who had done it. I have written about the Wild Africa Trail at AK, which is very good, too, but less of a foodie experience. Also cheaper, or at least cheaper in my case because we did it with our CM friends who were able to get the afternoon (read: hot) tour with a 50% discount.

Jiko is one of my favourite restaurants at WDW, maybe even #1. But isn't it called the Cooking Place, not the Eating Place? I mean, both are kind of the same thing since eating without the cooking before often is not as pleasant (and not what you would go for a restaurant for).

I think I need to think about doing this safari at some point in the future. Michael and I have decided that instead of eating at a number of overpriced WDW restaurants each trip, we will rather try to safe food dollars and instead splurge on one bigger event every trip. For the next trip it is going to be the Party for the Senses at the F&W Festival. I am sure the feeling of indigestion will be the same afterwards though...

I remember the re-planting hassles of spring. Such a waste of growing time and annoyance. Is there not a GMO developed that is rust resistant? Glad to hear through the trials of a crappy rain situation and the disease it's not too far off.
Nope. No hybrids, GMO or non, have any resistance to Southern Rust. It has become a problem that has moved north the last couple of years so I'm sure that is on the agronomists radar as something they've been really looking at for cost effective ways to manage it. Right now you can spray a fungicide, which has about a 2 week effective period. And if southern rust hits, it can kill a crop in 2 weeks. So it is a gamble to time the spray application and you could need multiple applications during the season. If you have it applied by air, which you'd need to do once the corn is fully grown it costs around $30 - $40 per acre, per application.

Am I also being redundant here?
You're also being redundant too.

Without missing a beat, and with a 100% completely straight face, she announces, “Oh, you’re in luck then! This called a Quit Yer Whinin’! I serve them to all the parents who come in here after a day at the Magic Kingdom with 2-year olds.”
Ok, we'll allow it. Only because your server was so witty to come up with it!

I gathered up my camera, my daughter (equally uncomfortable), and my bags in that order (See? once upon a time I DID actually keep my camera with me) a
Wow! That's impressive! The camera didn't get lost!

I'm glad your meal was so good. Nothing wrong with stuffing yourself silly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter