ABD and Chase Sapphire question

JoieNsk

Mouseketeer
Hello, everybody :)

I have a question to people who already used their Chase Sapphire cards to pay for ABD.

I contacted Chase to ask if ABD would be qualified as travel charge.

But Chase was not helpful at all. They told me they can't tell me before I make the charge (?).

I would like to get 3% in points on my Chase Reserve card. But I would not want to charge ABD to Reserve if it would not be a travel charge. I would use different credit card then.

I had ton of experiences with Chase when the charge by my mind was totally "travel", but Chase would not consider it a travel charge.

Thank you in advance for any info!

Last edited:
We have the Sapphire Preferred, not Reserve, so caveat this may not apply to you, but yes, I always get the additional points for ABD charges. We paid our Iceland balance to ABD last month (ouch) and the full amount was credited as travel charges for points purposes.

I checked my credit card statement and my ABD deposit did code as travel on my CSR with a charge from ABD Travel Services.

One more question - if anybody used Sapphire insurance for the expensive trip like ABD?

The reason I would like to use Sapphire for ABD - so I can use the travel insurance benefit.

I usually buy travel insurance for the expensive non-refundable trip like ABD would be.

But I was thinking I could really save some money charging even only part of my trip to Sapphire Reserve - without paying for travel insurance.

I called Sapphire insurance department, and they confirmed that you don't even need to charge the whole trip cost to use the insurance. I paid most of my trip already with Disney gift cards, just about 1/6 of the cost is left. I was thinking of charging it to Sapphire.

But as I never used their insurance, I am still a little nervous - how reliable it would be :)

Thanks again for any info!

Last edited:

We have the Sapphire Preferred, not Reserve, so caveat this may not apply to you, but yes, I always get the additional points for ABD charges. We paid our Iceland balance to ABD last month (ouch) and the full amount was credited as travel charges for points purposes.

Thank you very much!

That's a great news! :)

From my understanding both Preferred and Reserve have the same points system, just Reserve gives more points.

Hello, everybody :)

I have a question to people who already used their Chase Sapphire cards to pay for ABD.

I contacted Chase to ask if ABD would be qualified as travel charge.

But Chase was not helpful at all. They told me they can't tell me before I make the charge (?).

I would like to get 3% in points on my Chase Reserve card. But I would not want to charge ABD to Reserve if it would not be a travel charge. I would use different credit card then.

I had ton of experiences with Chase when the charge by my mind was totally "travel", but Chase would not consider it a travel charge.

Thank you in advance for any info!

I can confirm it will code for the $300 annual travel credit and it will code at 3x.

Don't forget that the Sapphire Reserve will cover your Global Entry/TSA pre-check.
The Priority Pass is great for long layovers/delays!

One more question - if anybody used Sapphire insurance for the expensive trip like ABD?

The reason I would like to use Sapphire for ABD - so I can use the travel insurance benefit.

I usually buy travel insurance for the expensive non-refundable trip like ABD would be.

But I was thinking I could really save some money charging even only part of my trip to Sapphire Reserve - without paying for travel insurance.

I called Sapphire insurance department, and they confirmed that you don't even need to charge the whole trip cost to use the insurance. I paid most of my trip already with Disney gift cards, just about 1/6 of the cost is left. I was thinking of charging it to Sapphire.

But as I never used their insurance, I am still a little nervous - how reliable it would be :)

Thanks again for any info!

The problem we had with using Chase is that they only reimburse up to 10K. Depending on the price of your trip that may not be enough (it was not for our Africa trip so even though we used the card to pay our deposit, we still purchased separate trip insurance).

"If your trip is cancelled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.2"

The problem we had with using Chase is that they only reimburse up to 10K. Depending on the price of your trip that may not be enough (it was not for our Africa trip so even though we used the card to pay our deposit, we still purchased separate trip insurance).

"If your trip is cancelled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.2"

Thank you!

But from talking to Chase and reading their policy I got an impression that it is 10000 per a person - up to 20000 per occurrence.

https://www.chase.com/content/chase...llation-trip-interruption-insurance-5000.html

They even bring an example there:

"
Examples:

• A family of four charges a covered trip to their Chase card or pays with rewards earned on a Chase card for a covered trip that costs $6,000/person. If the family experiences a loss of $24,000 for the entire trip, the reimbursement would be $20,000, as that is the maximum limit per occurrence."

I also was wondering - if you guys had to use the Chase insurance that time?

We only used travel insurance once in a lifetime, it was not Chase: due to my husband's work schedule screw-up we needed to change the cruise. Our insurance company properly paid all the non-refundable charges, I was extremely impressed. Luckily the cruise itself still was able to be cancelled without penalty. So I did not check how the compensation for the expensive cruise would be handled though :)))

Thank you!

But from talking to Chase and reading their policy I got an impression that it is 10000 per a person - up to 20000 per occurrence.

https://www.chase.com/content/chase...llation-trip-interruption-insurance-5000.html

They even bring an example there:

"
Examples:

• A family of four charges a covered trip to their Chase card or pays with rewards earned on a Chase card for a covered trip that costs $6,000/person. If the family experiences a loss of $24,000 for the entire trip, the reimbursement would be $20,000, as that is the maximum limit per occurrence."

Maybe I should call them again and verify that.

Sheesh then why do they say per trip right there...? They need a better copywriter! :sad2:

Still OK for us... our trip is more than 10K per person too... and now everyone can see why the $ for the Japan trip is too tough for me to swallow right now. :ssst:

Also, I don't believe the Chase insurance includes Medical expenses, so if you end up with an injury or illness while on the trips, you're on your own (most USA Medical insurance is not good outside the US).

Sayhello

Also, I don't believe the Chase insurance includes Medical expenses, so if you end up with an injury or illness while on the trips, you're on your own (most USA Medical insurance is not good outside the US).

Sayhello
I think you can buy medical/evac insurance *really* cheap. I just did it for our Macchu Picchu hiking trip, and it was about $35 per person. What REI did to get this amount was reduce the trip cost to $500, but there are also insurers that have policies just for this. I think I found some on squaremouth (I wanted to compare to price REI sent me).

I think I'm planning to rely on my Chase card even though the trip will be more than that. I'm just going to make sure I pay the balance of both reservations (our family of four books two) on separate CSR cards. In other words, DH and DS will be "covered" on his card, and DD and me will be on mine.

What I'm trying to figure out is with the add-on, if I cancel that--say I can score a much cheaper package on my own--what happens to the deposit since it's all rolled into the one reservation? I'd hope it would just get rolled into the ABD booking itself? Anyone have any experience with this?

I think you can buy medical/evac insurance *really* cheap. I just did it for our Macchu Picchu hiking trip, and it was about $35 per person. What REI did to get this amount was reduce the trip cost to $500, but there are also insurers that have policies just for this. I think I found some on squaremouth (I wanted to compare to price REI sent me).

I think I'm planning to rely on my Chase card even though the trip will be more than that. I'm just going to make sure I pay the balance of both reservations (our family of four books two) on separate CSR cards. In other words, DH and DS will be "covered" on his card, and DD and me will be on mine.

What I'm trying to figure out is with the add-on, if I cancel that--say I can score a much cheaper package on my own--what happens to the deposit since it's all rolled into the one reservation? I'd hope it would just get rolled into the ABD booking itself? Anyone have any experience with this?
My deposit didn't include the add-on. It was just 10% of the base trip plus the single supplement.

Sayhello

Sayhello

Thank you!

Yes, they don't cover medical problems. So I might get added medical insurance.

But if they at least would cover the travel expenses - that would be 800-1000 savings - depending on the insurance plan!

Doesn’t their coverage only apply to the portion that you put on their card? i.e., if you only charge 1/6 to your Sapphier Reserve, they’ll only refund up to that amount; they wouldn’t cover the 5/6ths you put on Disney cards. Right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter