ABD Newbie! Tips for Europe May 2024

shaunacb

Always planning a DVC trip from Canada!
We are DCL, DVC, DL, WDW vets, but have never looked ABD. Thinking about Europe May 2024, maybe Italy or France. Any ABD tips for a family of 5?

I would say start with a call to ABD and discuss the room options for a family of 5 at the various locations. Some countries are more accommodating than others due to limitations on the number of people allowed in a room combined with your kids' ages. Then go from there, looking at the activities and asking more questions here.

Sayhello

We've done two ABD's in Italy and one that Included Paris (London/Paris). Either would be a good choice but I'd lean to an Italy itinerary. Our first foreign ABD was "Viva Italia" which covered Rome, Florence and Venice. We were blown away by that one. They have become three of our favorite cities in Europe.

Which ever you pick, I'd strongly suggest you arrive a day or two early. That gives you a chance to get acclimated and builds in a cushion in case of travel delays. Use the extra days before to explore some of the lesser points of interest that may not be included by ABD.

We've done two ABD's in Italy and one that Included Paris (London/Paris). Either would be a good choice but I'd lean to an Italy itinerary. Our first foreign ABD was "Viva Italia" which covered Rome, Florence and Venice. We were blown away by that one. They have become three of our favorite cities in Europe.

Which ever you pick, I'd strongly suggest you arrive a day or two early. That gives you a chance to get acclimated and builds in a cushion in case of travel delays. Use the extra days before to explore some of the lesser points of interest that may not be included by ABD.
Also remember that the jet lag coming from the US to Europe (flying east) is worse than the jet lag going to back to US (flying west). so a day or two are almost a must.

We did the Italy ABD and loved it! But it was all families of 2, 3, and 4 on the trip now that I think about it …

But it was extremely kid-friendly, interesting, and fun. The Gran Melia in Rome is especially lovely!

How old are the kids? I remember a trip report from a family with an odd number of kids who were not happy with the third bed in their rooms. I think it was a combo of small rooms, small bed, bigger kid.

How old are the kids? I remember a trip report from a family with an odd number of kids who were not happy with the third bed in their rooms. I think it was a combo of small rooms, small bed, bigger kid.
Kids will be 11, 9, 6. Do you know which ABD it was? Any booking tips besides book early when dates released?

I can't help much for booking, other than it probably helps to have an agent do it for you, like the ones that run this site. I've not done an ABD, but do travel a lot. European hotel rooms tend to be very small, and if I remember correctly, the family was unhappy that they'd paid the full price for the third person in the room but that person got a small rollaway bed in an already cramped room. I think they had a teen. Your little one would probably be fine.

We have done two Italy ABD trips as well. I agree with the comments above that the Viva Italia ABD is fantastic with too many highlights to mention.

For your first ABD, and especially with your younger children - the Italy/Switzerland ABD may be worth a close look. We did that one when our boys were 6 and 7. While the itinerary has changed slightly - it was a good balance between European history and fun activities for younger kids.

Our kids were 9 and 10 when we did Viva Italia and they still enjoyed it… but at times a lot of the museums and other historical sites got to be a little long for them and I don’t think they got as much out of it.

Hope that is helpful

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter