? about booking a vow renewal

Mindy,

The photo opps were just great. We went to the front of all lines, and AJ took some shots of just us (hubby & me), some with flowers, some without, some in alternate poses, some with all kids, some with kids and mom. And at the formal backdrop, he did individual shots of the kids. He took multiples of all, so we had some really good 'rejects,' just because there were even better versions of the same shots!

Thank you about the way we planned it -- I thought it all turned out great. If you get better weather, you'll also get some different pictures -- apparently, they have some favorite views on the decks where the photographer takes you (if it's not pouring!).

I don't know how many kids you have or ages, but I will tell you that having the kids involved was really one of the best parts of the whole thing. We talked with them about it a lot beforehand (my 8-year-old DD even thought about singing at the ceremony but was too shy), and being a part of it all was quite special to them. And one of the big ways the vow renewal was different than the first time was about our children. We didn't just renew our commitment to each other, we demonstrated our commitment to our family to our children. If mine were older, I may have asked them if they wanted to do a reading, or sing, or be more involved.

I hope you get to do it, Mindy. Our vow renewal was a 'tag-on' to the cruise, rather than the primary reason. But it ended up being the most special part of the whole thing.

One other note -- I am not big on the scrapbooking thing -- have lots of pictures, but not a lot of organization. But I am doing one now from the cruise. I am using the photo album they gave us with the photo package, and making it more about the cruise AND vow renewal, not just the vow renewal. (It's actually a wedding photo album.) I'm adding other photos from the ship's photographers, I've blown up some from our water cameras from snorkeling trips, and I'm printing some from our digital camera. Plus, I am adding pages about each day with cutouts from the navigators, the weather reports (you'll get these from the concierge each day if you do the package, I was glad I saved them), tickets/invites from events, etc.

I'm getting motivated to begin digging into the boxes in the closet to do some more scrapbooking. Ah, the inspiration of Disney and the boards.

Please let me know if you get booked, and then, of course, how it goes!

I forgot about this question. You do not tip the concierge. And I have to tell you, it was weird because we SOOOO wanted to tip Danielle. But we were told you don't tip the concierge.

Thank you so much for all the wonderful info! I have all my fingers and TOES crossed hoping we get to do this! I have 3 kids -- DS17, DD12 and DD6 (Disney princess if there ever was one!) -- They are one of the main reasons that I want to do this. I think it will be a good thing for them to be part of! We will also have 2 of my 4 sisters along and 2 other "friends" -- so, it should be great fun! I'm so sorry that it was raining for your renewal --- it actually surprised me that it was raining ... that thought didn't even cross my mind ... I'm sure outdoor pictures would be great but my guess is in the end it doesn't really matter! May I be so bold as to ask how much that "middle" package cost ... and how many shots do you think they took in total ... (you see where I'm going with this ... # of shots taken (minus) # of pictures included in package (multiplied by 95 cents!) will probaby equal a second mortgage on the house ... but at least I'll know ahead of time and prepare myself accordingly! :p

I'm also surprised about the tipping policy for concierge ... I hope they are getting a nice "cut" of the tag-on price!

PHP:
Yoo-Hoo ... has anyone seen the Tag Fairy??

Forgot about that, too.

The lowest package is $135, and you get the photographer, who agrees to shoot 36 pics for you to look at, only one 8x10 included, and 6.95 for additional 5x7s, $20 for additional 8x10s. The middle package is $275 (or real close). You get the photographer, with near as I could tell no limit to # of pics he would take, one 8x10, 12 5x7s, nicely placed in photo album (with lots of extra pages), plus extras at prices above. We ended up purchasing -- middle package plus extra 5x7s, and an extra 8x10, and got the photo album with all pictures in, plus a big blue portfolio with one of the 8x10s, and and an 8x10 of the Magic. We remarried Thursday eve, selected photos around 9 pm Friday, picked up album at 6:45 a.m. at Shutters. People around wanted to know how to buy one of those photo albums, but the ceremony is required!

Between the wedding pics, and the photographer pics around the ship, we got to about $500 (sounds like you will have a tough time sticking to this budget). Of all the money we spent, these were the best dollars invested. The pics let us relive the moments we spent all those other dollars on forever.

Thanks again Susan! I hope you don't mind if I keep bugging you with questions ... I'm off to pick up the 6 year old from gymnastics otherwise I'd probably come up with 2-3 more questions right now! Thanks again ... I do appreciate your time and experience!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc
PHP:
Have you seen the tag fairy??

hmmm ... I'm confused again ... (don't worry --- it doesn't take much) ... were the additional 5x7's 95 cents or 6.95 ... what a difference that makes!!!!

thanks ...

PHP:
i believe in the tag fairy ... haven't seen her/him ... but i believe ... have YOU seen the tag fairy?

Yes, they were $6.95 each... and it does add up fast. So more free advice (worth what you pay for it) -- take a bunch of pictures of your own, and be picky about the professional shots.

So -- are you signed up yet?

I have a client going this Sunday on the four-day. After the seven day, that just doesn't sound like long enough! I have sent them some Fairy Tale champagne -- you will experience this wonderful bubbly on your cruise (more than once if you do the package). I wanted to make sure they started with some pixie dust (which is sprinkled on the label). You might want to save one of these bottles -- they're a great memento!

Today flew by sooo fast ... I was waiting for a return call from Cathy, but never got it ... if I would have remembered earlier I would have tried to call her, but I am on the west coast and now it's toooo late ..... arggghhh ... I must wait another day ...

Thanks for the update on the price of those 5x7's ... I had a feeling that 95 cents was a pipe dream ... hehehe ... it is Disney afterall! oh well, I guess I had better find more pennies to save between now and then ...

Thanks again for all your help and I will let you know as soon as I get this thing booked ... keep your fingers crossed for me ... if this happens I will owe it all to you and your wonderful review/post!

PHP:
Here fairy, fairy, fairy ....

Have been reading all these posts w/ great interest. I would love to do this on our cruise. However, , I just don't know how my DH would react. I'd like to do it as a surprise, perhaps with the help of our two older Dd's. (Glad to hear someone said it was really nice having the children there. Didn't want them to think it too sappy.) DH is in no way inhibited, but intimate moments are personal and private to him. He would squirm. May I ask, how did all your DH's react to this ceremony? Thanks.

Hi there House_of_Princesses ... (I have my very own Disney princess - DD6) --- well, as you can tell with all the posts ... I have not done this yet ... If I am able to pull it off then it will happen for us the week of August 2nd! But I thought I might reply to your query because my DH is definitely not one for "public displays of affection" --- we will celebrate our 18th wedding anniversary on Aug. 2, and I wanted to surprise him with this vow renewal but I definitely had my doubts about springing this on him with no prior notice ... that might have been enough for him to toss me overboard! :eek: so, I decided to "float" the idea by him and surprisingly he is being very supportive ... he thinks it will be neat for our three kids DS17, DD12, and DD6 to be there as we re-commit ... I think in today's day and age it's a great thing for the kids to see ... we (my DH and myself) may not like each other everyday, but we do love each other and are committed to making our marriage work. We want our kids to know that marriage takes a lot of work and is not a commitment to enter into lightly. Hopefully our vow renewal will not only be special for us, but perhaps it will serve as a model for our kids to look at when the time is right for them ... please excuse me for going on and on ... I'm just very excited about the whole thing and I think that it's something we should all consider, if we have the opportunity! OK - I'll get off the soapbox now ... :smooth:

PHP:
Hello there ... Mr. Tag Fairy,  Ms. Tag Fairy ... I have been a good girl all year long ... could ya, would ya ... TAG me .... puhleease?!?

Mindy, Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :D We will be celebrating 14 years while on board and some of those days have been real winners! The idea of the children being involved and seeing your public comittment is wonderful and I agree whole heartedly. If I can, I'd like to share a story: Just last week DH and I were arguing over something silly. Well, the 10 yo Dd asked, "Mom, are you and Dad going to get divorced?" I answered (very inappropriately, I may add.) "I don't know. Ask your father." Of course, DH and I are not going anywhere. He and I know this, but we need to make the children firm in this knowledge, too. (I didn't help there, did I? :rolleyes: ) Just to set all fears to rest, we both reassured her later that we indeed plan to be together until death do us part, but that doesn't mean there won't be any bumps along the way!

Maybe I'll float the idea by him, too. Don't want to be thrown overboard, either! ;)

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

I clap for tag fairies!! Where are you tag fairy? I've been good, too! (At least I think I have! )

This is an interesting question. I am going to answer from my point of view THEN I'll pass your question along to my DH.

My husband is also not big on public displays, and has an interesting approach to romance. Doesn't do a big thing on Valentine's Day because he doesn't think you can do something one day of the year to make up for not show your feelings the rest of the year. How did he react to the vow renewal? Well, I don't believe he ever would have come up with the idea, and I think his initial response was kind of 'why do we need to do that?' He pretty quickly picked up on my enthusiasm, and got on board (so to speak).

Then at the ceremony and afterward -- he was very moved by it all. There was a fairly lengthy 'repeat after me' part (broken into small phrases, of course), and we both got watery saying the vows. We had agreed to add a personal message at the end, and I know he had planned what he wanted to say. He got nervous, and didn't get it out then, but said it to me privately later that evening (and private it shall stay). And he now says it was the best part of the whole cruise.

I don't think he would want to be surprised with it, though. And I'll definitely post whether I'm right after I talk to him. I think in the beginning, he did this more for me, but in the end appreciated how good it was for us! All of us.

Which brings me to a comment on the family involvement. I'll share a story, too. My kids have five first cousins who are the children of my three siblings -- these cousins divorced parents, one deadbeat dad, and one single mom. My kids have become very aware of the various types of families that can exist, and of course they'd like to keep theirs the way it is now. They recently learned that my husband had beed married before (though no children until ours), and I think that shook them a little. So I think this gave them a great feeling of security to know how committed mom and dad are to each other and to making it work.

It's a different type of vow you make now -- not just to your love, but to your family. It's a big deal, and it's worth a ceremony every now and then!

I will post DH's viewpoint later on.

Thank you, Susan, for taking the time to share your story. Also, a big thank you (in advance) to your DH for sharing his view, too!

On a more practical note, how soon should I contact DCL? Is it 8 months out? Thank you again.

Vicki

Somebody PINCH me!!! I just can't believe it ... got the OK from DH and called and surprisingly they had a spot for us eventhough we are within 60 days of sailing! I can't remember the last time I was this excited about something ... (trust me, the excitement level just to be going on the 7 day Western was already pretty high ... but now ... WOW!! I just can't believe it!

Susan ... thanks for all your help so far ... but I've got bad news for you. Now that we have it booked I have come up with a million more questions ... which bouquet did you choose? did you get any other flowers? what kind of cake? what about the music? what did you do and what would you have done differently, if anything. Did you have to order more champagne on top of what they already provided ... who is present at the ceremony? As for the photos, since they are after the ceremony (and presumably all over the ship) --- what happens to those in attendance at the ceremony ... do they go along for all the photos or are the renewed bride and groom whisked away and guests are left to fend for themselves? I assume that Sessions is closed off to other passengers for the ceremony ... Did they have more than one renewal at the same time you had yours or were other renewals scheduled at totally different times/days ... I just don't want the feeling of ... "OK you're done ... NEXT!!!" Well, I guess I will leave you alone for now ... thank you for all your answers so far and thanks again for sharing your experience, I know that if it weren't for your post ... I would not have booked this ... so for that ... I thank you from the bottom of my heart! (especially since you've been thru it, I think you know how grateful I am ... you're probably more aware of how grateful I am than I even know yet!) :smooth:

PHP:
Has anyone seen the tag fairy ... just want to be sure they haven't been fairy-napped!

I am sooooo happy for you, MindydLeon!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Let me know how yours went!!!

I can't wait till mine!!!

I also want to know some of the answers to your questions.

By the way, hi Susan!!!

Again, congratulations!!!!!!

Lisa

Thanks Tibbles!!!

I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself ...

the only thing that could top this would be to be tagged by the Tag Fairy ... :p

Bouquet -- I chose the pink/ivory roses, and it was just beautiful. I never counted, but there must have been about two dozen roses, done in a simple round arrangement with ivory ribbon. It was just the right size -- small enough to carry in one hand, but lots of roses! We got a boutonierre (sp?) as well. And Danielle had strewn red and ivory rose pedals along our 'aisle'.

We did chocolate cake with mousse filling (I think), and they let us choose from a variety of designs, all beautiful. It is a two-tiered cake, and we had some after the ceremony, then never had it again. They can take it to the dining room, and you can eat it again after dinner. The ceremony is the next to the last night, so you don't have much time. And the will not let you take it with you (though they will let you take the flowers -- I am currently drying my petals!). We were able to select our music, but within what the pianist knew. So you can have any Disney song you want! We also asked for one from 'Phantom of the Opera' that he knew, and another one that he didn't. We used '

We didn't have to get more champagne (they provide first bottle) because we were such a small group (and they gave sparkling cider to the kids in champagne glasses). You can have as many guests as you want, and you can purchase more champagne. We all went for photos, but we were only six... ask them. I would guess the entire wedding party and family would go.

Yes, Sessions was closed off to other passengers. They told me they would scheduled no more than two per cruise, and would hold one at 3:30 on Thursday, and one at 4:30 that day. Either time would work, but if there are two, you have to be out by the second one.

Now when we booked, we were the only one, but I think they did do another. They moved our time to 4:45, and later I saw another cake being carried that was similar to ours but definitley not chocolate. From the other ceremony, I was told. I wouldn't have known there was another ceremony other than that. No assembly line feel AT ALL! And Captain Guus, our ship's captain and our officiant, had just come on the ship, and was clearly very nervous in his role the ceremony. I kind of liked that -- it certainly kept it personal and real.

What would we do differently? We would have made sure we took the cake to dinner, and offered it to all the tables around us. It makes me sad that is was wasted. We would have ordered better weather (though this was not a big negative).

We brought some pictures from our first wedding on the cruise, and put them out in our stateroom for the whole week. I planned to have a couple on the table with the cake and goodies, but forgot.

Other than that, there isn't much that could be improved on.

THE REPORT FROM DH. He says he actually thought it was a good idea all along. He says he would definitely NOT want it sprung on him on board, for many reasons but one being it costs money and we make those decisions together. He says we said our vows before in front of friends and family, but we'd never said them in front of our kids, and that's a big deal.

We just talked about this (DH and I) because we know many couples who celebrated their tenth anniversary with great fanfare, and didn't make it for many more years. There are no guarantees, DH says. He firmly believes we'll be together for the rest of lives, but it's not a lock, and he says maybe that knowledge is what keeps you from getting complacent. So for a vow renewal you spend active time rethinking what you're doing, instead of being on autopilot. (these last few sentences were DH's, almost word for word - you can quote him!)

SORRY these are so long. I type really fast and love sharing the details. I will say again that we were very excited about the cruise, but had not built up much anticipation on the ceremony. I hope we don't build it up so much that anyone is disappointed... it's really a nice, low-key, memorable event, but not the celebration of the century.

One final thing I would have wanted -- a few more family and friends there for the ceremony. It was fine with just us, and honestly I didn't miss them then. But now when I share the experience with them, I wish they had been there.

Thank you again, Susan, for sharing your story and for sharing your DH's thoughts!! Guess there won't be any SURPRISE renewals in our future, but a definate maybe for a planned one! ;)

just wanted to drop a quick note to say "Thanks!" for all the details ... you are never long-winded ... whenever I come to this thread I hope to see that you have posted ... and I look forward to your messages ... please send our thanks to DH as well ... We DISers benefit from each others experience and I can't wait to share mine in the hope of helping someone who is sitting where I am sitting today! again, many thanks ... and don't be surprised if I come up with a few more questions!

:p

I guess it is too late to see if another spot is open for aug 2. Does anyone have the number available? thanks Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter