? about DVC annual pass purchase

jd99

DIS Veteran
If I purchase an annual pass using the DVC discount today....when does it become active? When it is mailed to me or when I go to a park for the first time. I'm 99.999999 percent sure it's when I go to a park, but before I hit send with my credit card number I wanted to make sure from the experts! TIA.

You will receive a voucher. Your one-year period begins when you exchange the voucher for the actual pass.

And if you choose the "will call" option, your year starts when you pick up the actual pass at WDW Guest Relations.

And if you choose the "will call" option, your year starts when you pick up the actual pass at WDW Guest Relations.

Ok - now I'm actually confused again. Does it really matter if i do will call or have the voucher mailed to me? Isn't it the same either way..it isn't activated until I actually enter a Disney Park...

Ok - now I'm actually confused again. Does it really matter if i do will call or have the voucher mailed to me? Isn't it the same either way..it isn't activated until I actually enter a Disney Park...

It isn't entering a park that activates the voucher, regardless of getting it mailed or "will call".

It's when you go with the voucher to Guest Services at a park and convert it to an AP. That's when the clock starts. You could convert the voucher into an AP, walk away and the clock on your one year is running without entering a park. :)

thanks. I didn't pose my question correctly. The voucher I get in the mail doesn't start until I take it to WDW and have it activated. It is NOT activated when they mail it to me, correct?

thanks. I didn't pose my question correctly. The voucher I get in the mail doesn't start until I take it to WDW and have it activated. It is NOT activated when they mail it to me, correct?
Correct. You will receive a voucher in the mail. When you get to WDW, you will exchange the voucher for the AP. Make sure you bring your DVC membership card and an ID with you! The AP is activated at the time you exchange the voucher for the AP. It used to be that the AP was activated when you entered a park with it for the first time but people have posted that that is no longer the case. Now the AP starts at the time you turn in the voucher for the AP.

ETA: This is why CarolMN and Granny are saying that the AP is activated at the same time whether you have a voucher mailed to you, take it to the Guest Relations window and exchange it for the AP OR you just use the "will call" option and go to the window to pick up the AP. In both cases, your year starts when they print your AP and hand it to you.

Got it. The last time we did this, we went to guest relations at MK and they gave us our passes and we then entered the park. So it is pretty much same/same for us. When we get our tickets, we enter the park right afterward. Thanks to lisa for the clarity!

Another question re PAP and the DVC discount....I am planning on purchasing my pass at the back entrance to Epcot (via the BW). Am I correct in assuming that all I need for get the DVC discount is show my blue member card?

How long do you have to redeem your voucher for the AP?

I do not believe there is an expiration date on the voucher. Not sure if you'd want to buy one more than a year in advance, but I bought one about 7 months in advance when I thought the prices were going up. No problem with redeeming it.

Another question re PAP and the DVC discount....I am planning on purchasing my pass at the back entrance to Epcot (via the BW). Am I correct in assuming that all I need for get the DVC discount is show my blue member card?

Yes, your blue member card and a photo ID (driver's license, passport, etc) is all you'll need. :)

Can you make an AP discounted room reservation with just a voucher or does it have to be an activated pass? I was thinking of ordering just my AP and having it mailed to me at home. I was going to postpone buying the family's theirs til we get down there, but I would love to be able to book a discounted room if any become available to extend our DVC stay.

Please tell me how this works as we have always just used the MYW tickets.

Can you make an AP discounted room reservation with just a voucher or does it have to be an activated pass? I was thinking of ordering just my AP and having it mailed to me at home. I was going to postpone buying the family's theirs til we get down there, but I would love to be able to book a discounted room if any become available to extend our DVC stay.

You can make a reservation before you actually pick up the AP, but you will need the AP when you check into the resort. We did this a few years ago and just stopped at DTD to pick up the AP's before we headed to the resort. In fact, I don't think you even need the voucher when you make the reservation...maybe others will have a definite on that.

You can make a reservation before you actually pick up the AP, but you will need the AP when you check into the resort. We did this a few years ago and just stopped at DTD to pick up the AP's before we headed to the resort. In fact, I don't think you even need the voucher when you make the reservation...maybe others will have a definite on that.

There is another site that states that you must provide an AP or an exchange voucher upon check in. I'm not sure if it is ok to post the link or not. I had the same idea as DJMommy which is why I asked how long before a voucher expires.

I have done this, and there was no problem using the AP voucher to make a reservation using the AP discount. I then showed my voucher at check-in, and they asked that I bring back the activated pass by the next day. I did so, and that was that.

BTW, I also used the AP voucher numbers to order DDE card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter