• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

? about GAC...

thekaren

DIS Veteran
I'm just wondering...

Is there any way to acquire a GAC BEFORE you get to the parks? For example, could my mom call and set it up over the phone before I go to WDW? Is there any way they could just add that to my reservations file (or whatever) so that it's already there waiting for me when I arrive? I know I'm supposed to go to Guest Relations when I get to a park, but the thing is, I'm not an assertive person at all, and I know this is something that has really been worrying my mom lately. Even though I'm only going for six days, I've never been on a vacation at all (except to my relatives' house in PA), and I've never been away from my family for that long, and I know my mom worries that I won't get the accommodations that I need. It'd just be nice if there was a way we could set this all up before I get there so that my mom can rest assured knowing that everything is taken care of ahead of time.

If not, I'll just take this as a positive new learning experience for me, and be as assertive as I possibly can, and hope my poor mom doesn't worry herself sick when I leave (in 45 days... it feels like the closer it gets, the slower time goes by). lol. :teeth:

In general, the person with a disability needs to go to Guest Services in the parks or Guest Services right outside a park themself and inquire about the GAC. They need to be able to explain their needs to the CM. Part of the "doing it in person" is to prevent fraud. If they did do it by phone, mail or email, it would be verry easy for someone to claim anything and get a GAC. It's much harder to do that in person.

What you might want to do is write down what your problem is and what your needs are. You could show this note to the CM at Guest Services and say that you cannot communicate easily, but here are the needs.

Also, if you could give us a little more information about yourself and your problems many of us will be able to provide more specific information rather than relying on generalities.

Mike

I am NOT assertive either but it was easy to get. I rehearsed for hours before I got it.

I needed a stamp that said I could use a stroller as a wheelchair so I said "I need a guest assistance pass that says I can use her *point to child* stroller as a wheelchair". They said "OK" asked how many people, dates of our stay and her name. That was it.

karen: I second the idea of typing a note for the cm and either having them read it or read it yourself. I did this when I obtained DDs GAC in 12/04 and had no difficulty obtaining one.

have a great vacation

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter